Thread: Medication/mental health problems

Question Medication/mental health problems

Hello,
    I've recently made the decision to become vegan again, after a few years of just being vegitarian. But i have a question about medications etc.
    I've been suffering from depression/anxiety/eating disorder for many years now, but have recently started treatment. I've been out of hospital for a month now, but I am still on 4-5 different kinds of medication (and probably will be for a very long time). My question really is, what can I do about this? The drugs are made by some of the biggest drug companies, all of which test medications on animals. Am i being hypocritical by continuing to take these drugs and classing myself as vegan? I am, of course, completely against animal testing, and to be honest it angers me that by taking this medication, I am increasing these companies' profits.
    Also, i would love to be more active in helping the vegan/AR cause, but as i have a phobia of crowds/public places, I'm fairly limited on what I can do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I try to give what money I can afford, but of course because i receive very little money as am not able to work, it's really not much.
    Anyway, that's enough rambling for now, I'd just like to know what your thoughts are on these issues, particularly the medication question.
    Thankyou!
    xoxox

Default Re: Medication/mental health problems

If there is no alternative to these medicines then you'll have to take them. The argument is that these same medicines could have been discovered and proved safe if animal tests were banned by other means. I try and get generics as much as possible as then my money isn't going directly in to the pockets of the animal abusers, but that isn't always possible. It's one of those things where we have to accept that no money is being spent developing drugs any other way so we have to make do. Often the product will have animal products in it too (lactose or gelatin), again you have to accept that there aren't always alternatives for us to buy. Veganism is about doing as much as possible to avoid animal products/suffering.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

You could spend time writing to companies and individuals encouraging them when they make decisions in favour of animals and complaining when they cause harm to animals. You could ask companies to remove animal products from tablets for instance (supermarket own brand hayfever tablets have lactose in for instance). Learn all you can about why developing and testing products using animals is harmful to both humans and animals, so you can enter into informed debates with people. Make sure you know the answers to common challenges about veganism not being healthy or natural for the same reason.

Above all, keep fit and healthy so people don't get the impression that all vegans are skinny and undernourished with no strength or stamina.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

BlackCats

Hi Anna - there is another thread on a similiar subject somewhere on forum. I'm not sure how to find it for you.

I think you should just keep on taking medications at moment if you feel you need to. Just work towards getting yourself healthy. Depression and anxiety can often make you feel guilty anyway so try not to beat yourself up.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here the suggestion of giving a donation to a charity that works to eliminate animal testing. You could do this maybe when you are more financially secure somewhere along the line.

Have you tried meeting up with a vegan/animal rights group in your area? They would probably appreciate your help and you wouldn't necessarily have to go into crowds/ public places to help them. They might want envelope stuffers or something? And if not you could just meet some new people.

sugarmouse

I would read Vernon Colemans' views on medication, he helped me alot. http://www.vernoncoleman.com/

I had a nervous breakdown couple years ago and now take an anti panic disorder drug. I could not have done without it.

HEY --- READ THIs!!!

Okay, get a VERY good brand of minerals and some liquid Trace Minerals from your health food department. Believe me, the better the brand, the better the absortion.

I've had 4 good friends who suffered from SEVERE depression and panic attacks, who were on medication. They all use minerals and trace minerals every day and their problems have gone away (within 10 days).

There is a great cure in combination with fish oil (NOT Vegan or Vegetarian ---- but ask your health food store for a vegetarian alternative to give you the Omega 3-6-9s). This seems to make people's panic attacks disappear.

You will definitely notice a difference.

try not to feel too guilty - you cant really help the rest of the world until you help yourself
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Smile Re: Medication/mental health problems

hey there-

i just wanted to let you know i'm in a very similar situation. I'm manic depressive and i've had to take all different meds for quite a few years now. i've been veggie for all of those and vegan for the last year- it bothers me every day that i have to put these tablets into my body which only exist because of animal testing and every time i go to pick up my prescription its pumping money straight into the pockets of evil animal testing companies... I'm also having to take an anti-depressant at the moment which has lactose-- but...

the way i see it is you have to weigh it all up and if you're only going to be sane and healthy by taking these meds, even if it does contradict your vegan beliefs, then just take them and don't spend your time worrying about it. i know thats easier said than done!! unfortunately Western medicine isn't animal friendly, but that isn't your fault.

anyway, good luck with it all and i just wanted you to know you're not alone in having these concerns x x x