Thread: Do we need soy?

Default Do we need soy?

umm do u think it's healthy to not eat soy in a vegan diet. What other foods can we eat instead that have almost the same nutirional value?

Default Re: Do we need soy?

i know vegans who dont eat soy.

there is nothing in soy that you cant get from other vegan sources.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I very rarely eat it, maybe once every few months, not out of any real decision on my part, it's just not that widely available here.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

nervine

raw cacao beans are better :p

I can't live without soy....but that is just what my taste buds say....
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote theBB View Post
    umm do u think it's healthy to not eat soy in a vegan diet. What other foods can we eat instead that have almost the same nutirional value?

Good question. I'd like to know too, what other foods that could replace soy products.And in terms of protein for breakfast/lunch/dinner ?

most supermarket products contain eggs.

You don't need soy at all, I mean, I eat loads of it, but that's not the point....

The nutritional value of soy more or less comes down to protein and omega fatty acids. The former can obviously come in the form of lentils, beans, pulses etc. Omega fatty acids are commonly found in various pressed oils I believe. I think I'm right in saying flax seed is high in Omega 3. I'm mainly going off my understanding of nutrition here so if anyone knows better feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote XSveg View Post
    Good question. I'd like to know too, what other foods that could replace soy products.And in terms of protein for breakfast/lunch/dinner ?

most supermarket products contain eggs.
    You don't have to eat 'typical' products for each of the three meals in the day. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hummus on toast for breakfast, lots of protein there. If you did want a more typical breakfast option, oats are fairly high in protein, so porridge or muesli (especially muesli with nuts) made with rice or nut milk are good. Lunch and dinner I'd guess speak for themselves, any lentils/beans/pulses/nuts etc.

What supermarket products are you referring to specifically?
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Quote MarkAnthony View Post
    You don't need soy at all, I mean, I eat loads of it, but that's not the point....

What supermarket products are you referring to specifically?

Hi Mark, good reply BTW.
    As for the products in question, they include Quorn(spelling?) and basic meat free range in asda for instance.

My typical dinner consisted of lean chicken and green vegetables like curly kale (for calcium)
    I'm having trouble replacing it with a all veg alternative.Tofu seems to be overpowering and quite expensive if you get my meaning.

XSveg, I think you may get better results if you try and find some completely new types of dishes to eat rather than having meat and two veg without the meat if you see what I mean.

My OH and I aren't keen on cooking but we also aren't keen on too many convenience foods so here are some things we eat for dinner:

pilaff made with rice, vegetables and some nuts or beans, with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it - you can do similar dishes with other grains and pseudo-grains such as millet and quinoa

pasta with steamed mixed veg, beans and tomato sauce (or vegan pesto from a jar!)

vegetable stirfry with tofu or nuts served with noodles or rice

baked potato with a sauce made from lentils (or bought-in hummus if we're feeling extra lazy) and a side salad

just a large salad with, say, green leaves, nuts, raw mushrooms, avocado, melon and croutons (so it's not too healthy )

lentil/bean and vegetable soup, served with nice bread and, yes, a salad

Once you get the hang of it, this sort of thing can be as quick to prepare as convenience food and it's much more varied because you can use different veg each time. There are lots of ideas around on the forum.

Forget worrying about protein, as long as you're eating a fairly varied diet it's pretty hard NOT to get enough protein.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote XSveg View Post
    Hi Mark, good reply BTW.
    As for the products in question, they include Quorn(spelling?) and basic meat free range in asda for instance.

My typical dinner consisted of lean chicken and green vegetables like curly kale (for calcium)
    I'm having trouble replacing it with a all veg alternative.Tofu seems to be overpowering and quite expensive if you get my meaning.
    Ah I get your point now. When you mentioned eggs baking sprang to mind and I started thinking about cake.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

I would be lucky to have soy once a month, if that and only in a coffee. I don't eat tofu or fake cheese or yogurt or anything like that (yuck) so I basically live soyless.

I am not deficient in anything and I am a very picky eater. For me, breakfast is toast and marmalade or oatmeal, lunch is normally an avocado & salad roll or sushi rolls or just a plain bowl of brown rice and dinner is normally brown rice with vegies or burritos or pasta or something like that.... I think as long as you listen to your body you should be fine

im with you sticky I almost never eat soy unless I eat out. I don't eat processed foods in general. Soy is definately not essential for protein... start eating more beans and whole grains. People don't need as much protein as they think they do... if you are worried about it use fitday for awhile to see where you are at (I usually get around 40 grams a day)

pavotrouge

I'm wondering, why should soy be bad for our health?

I'm neither a soy-lover nor a hater. I use it moderately, but could easily do without.

I don't really have an opinion on it being bad in general.. I just think of things that are processed as not as good for my body as things that are whole and fresh.

Quote suchadreamer View Post
    I don't really have an opinion on it being bad in general.. I just think of things that are processed as not as good for my body as things that are whole and fresh.

Good for you

I've since left soy out of meals.I must say, its hard to avoid the stuff these days, as its even in multivitamin/Mineral supplements(at least its in the "solgar" version I take)

pavotrouge

I also barely buy/eat processed foods... so what about soybeans, edamame?

Quote theBB View Post

There are a number of vegan foods which have a higher amount of protein than soya, for example chick peas, kidney beans and lentils.

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...on/protein.php

There are other foods which lower cholesterol as well as soya.

Eat plenty of lentils, a variety of whole grains, nuts and seeds, other beans, and you will be fine.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I use too much soy and I want to really cut back, but I stocked up on soy products for the month because my mom is away.
    Tempeh and miso are okay for you, but my nutrition teacher is quite against consumption of non-fermented soy products.

Next month I will get more replacements. So far I have rice protein, nuts/seeds/butters and...I can't think of anything else.

pavotrouge

what is rice protein?

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    what is rice protein?
    A protein powder by the British Columbia company North Coast Naturals.
    12g/protein per 1tbsp.

They don't seem to have a website, otherwise I'd link you.

pavotrouge

Hum, I thought of it as something yummy to chew on T_T