Thread: The Many Faces Of Vegan

Default The Many Faces Of Vegan

This was sent to me by a friend. The Many Faces Of Vegan

Default Re: The Many Faces Of Vegan

I really enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting, VegCurry It certainly raised a few smiles for me...

Now what about the category for Vegans who fit a combination of these categories??
    ~ United we stand..Divided we fall ~

BlackCats

That was interesting.
    I suppose I would be the first one but I don't know really if I would consider myself an "animal lover"?

Which one do you think you are Vegcurry?

nice article
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Which one do you think you are Vegcurry?
    Like Lakini, I inclined to be a combination of some of them.

When I first went vegan it was mostly a combination of The Animal Lover/Animal Rights Activist; now I'd say it's that and Environmentalists/Spiritually Motivated. The more I live and the more I learn, the more reasons there are behind this sensible lifestyle choice.

Wow! Fantastic! Thanks for neatly categorizing us freaks in the vegan world. How cute, huh? Here's a thought, stereotyping and labeling will do nothing but feed the public who look upon vegans as aliens from some distant planet. So thanks for doing that! Thanks for so happily and cheerfully slotting us into subdivisions. You are the best!

good point, StylishVegan. I hate stereotyping too.

But I kinda like this article, stereotypes fascinate me at the same time...I'm in high school, what better place to study such a thing?

I'd say I was in the animal lover / animal rights activist groups although maybe a little of the spirituality one too.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

steven1222

The people who have stereotypes of vegans are not likely to think much of an article that a vegan wrote. By classifying specific people into particular groups, it suggests that the groups are mutually exclusive, which is wrong.

"Rabbit food?"
    I got that when I answered yes when someone randomly asked "Are you a vegetarian?" I found that strange, considering the fact that most of my food is processed junk. I wonder what he would think of a vegan. Self-starvation?

I'm...

The Animal Lover...
    The Animal Rights Activist...
    Environmentalist...

"Fruit Loops, Jolly Ranchers and Kool-Aid are vegan!" Don't know about the last two, but Fruit Loops has Red 40. I checked.

"Raw Foods Diet isn't always vegan. (Some followers consume raw fish, dairy, meat and eggs.)" Ah! Didn't know that.
    "Silence never encourages the tormented, only the tormentor..."

damn - I don't fit into a category... sob sob sob
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

Therefore describe your stance......
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote Veganne View Post
    "Fruit Loops, Jolly Ranchers and Kool-Aid are vegan!" Don't know about the last two, but Fruit Loops has Red 40. I checked.
    Is Red 40 the one made of beetle shells?
    Quote Veganne View Post
    "Raw Foods Diet isn't always vegan. (Some followers consume raw fish, dairy, meat and eggs.)" Ah! Didn't know that.
    Many raw foodists favor raw honey pretty exclusively as a sweetener.

I seem to have been working my way through all those categories- am now heading towards animal rights and yet to conquer hipster!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Cool.

In a way I'm spiritually motivated - I'm not technically Buddhist, but I am spiritual in the sense of Buddhist ways, and I could see myself eventually becoming Buddhist. I wanted to make the transition when I first learned about it, but it didn't seem practical, as I was only about 16 and in the midst of high school and having two jobs.

I'm also the Health Nut...
    I went on a diet this past May, as I was a little overweight. I wanted to do it the healthy way, so I learned all about Nutrition. After losing 10lbs and learning more about food (and taking an interest in running), I became vegetarian. After another 10lbs lost and more knowledge/a summer of independence and freedom, I became vegan.
    Now I look good (and have lost a few more lbs), I feel great, and I can be proud of what I eat.

And who doesn't love animals?

Come to think of it, there's 'many faces' of every subgenre of humans.

Punks: You've got your trendy punks, crusty punks, brit-punks, nazi punks, dark punks which then lead to goths...

...You have ninja goths who collect weapons, attention goths who wear really disgusting makeup, goths who don't look or dress goth but are just really dark people, metal goths...

...Then you have the art freaks.
    Watch 'Art School Confidential' for your perfect examples.

Okay, I best stop there... I've been through each of these. (I was a cross-breed trendy/crusty punk, then an attention goth, then the hyperactive yet angry at the world art freak. Now I'm an artsy vegan health freak who is still angry at the world but can say it with a smile .