Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: About The Vegan Forum

tails4wagging

Default If everyone on this forum donated to this site

I believe only the dedicated vegans will be willing to donate, then certain 'banned' ones may not!. get my drift??.

It would make life easier for Korn then, cause I'm sure the loony ones won't give!??

I see where you're coming from Tails, but I think it's a bad idea. For one thing, it would mean that I would have to leave this forum. I'm sorry, but I'm a student and I don't have much money, so I really can't afford to donate. You're right that only dedicated vegans would be willing to donate, but there are dedicated vegans out there who couldn't afford to donate. You'd end up with a very exclusive club, with not that many young people, since students tend to live on limited budgets and can't afford to give money. Also, what about people who are just thinking about becoming vegan. That would just scare them off.

Vivisanctor

"what about people who are just thinking about becoming vegan"

free 30 day membership.

Yes, I wouldn't like to see this become a "membership" only site. I think that if those who can afford it, can help out with a donation wherever they can, then that is great.

I know lots of people here survive on limited budgets and I would hate to see them not be able to be included as part of the forum because they couldn't afford a donation.

Also, I think that make it a "membership by donation" site would discourage a lot of new vegans or people wanting to become vegan, from coming here, thus harming our cause.

Geoff

If everyone happily and willingly gave away 10% of their income the world would be a much better place.

PinkFluffyCloud

Yes, I do that anyway, to various animal/vegan causes, but it now only leaves me with about 10% after all the bills, etc!!

Ha! Who needs money, anyway?

I am a poor student too - I would also have to leave if this became a membership only forum. This would make me very sad

Geoff

Quote Banana
    I am a poor student too - I would also have to leave if this became a membership only forum. This would make me very sad
    For Pete's sake!!! Why does this keep coming up? Korn has said that there's no question of this being a subscription only site:

Originally Posted by JasperKat:
    'but are donations going to be required to post?'

Korn: 'No.'

THERE IS NO INTENTION TO MAKE THIS A SUBSCRIPTION ONLY SITE!!!!

Settle down. We're just saying "IF" it were to become that. Hypotethically and all that.

Geoff

I can't 'settle down' today. I'm still in a shit about the shocking bias by Sixty Minutes (Aus) against Ingrid Newkirk last evening in their item about her and PETA 'trying to bring the Aus wool industry to its knees' Nothing about trying to reduce cruelty.
    At least it got me angry enough to send PETA a donation.

That sucks. More bad publicity for PETA. I thought Sixty Minutes had more credibility than that. Oh well. The wool industry probably paid them to do the report.

On the same topic. I went shopping for a new winter jumper (sweater) today and was appalled at how many garmets contain "lamb's wool". I ended up with a beautiful, warm cotton/nylon sweater instead. Why do we even need to make clothes out of wool when there are so many comparable and even better alternatives available!

Anyway....back to the topic........or not
    Last edited by Roxy; Nov 22nd, 2004 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

PinkFluffyCloud

Geoff - I think that Tails was suggesting it should be, thus the ensuing discussion!!!

First of all: A big thanks to those of you that already have used PayPal to share some of our expenses!!!!

There are currently no other ways of donating than using PayPal, which is based on credit cards. If/when this will change, I will let you know.

There have been some stories about problems with PayPal, but there are also some problems with using VISA-cards without PayPal, and using banks without using credit cards... For now, I prefer to trust that PayPal works, and I can confirm that those of you that have sent me a note about donations using PayPal that everything has worked as it should.

Thanks again!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Geoff
    If everyone happily and willingly gave away 10% of their income the world would be a much better place.

Hi Geoff

I am a philosopher and it is worth noting that many Philosophers who 'put their money where their mouth is' do exactly similar acts.

I had no inclination to vegetarianism or veganism until I started reading ethics and found that I had no choice but to folow through on the conclusions I came to. So, after reading Regan, I could not find adequate refutation by other philosophers to knock down his arguments, so I adopted veganism.

After reading Russell et al I threw off religion like an old cloak.

FTR, Peter singer, donates 20% of everything he earns to charity. His argument is that if we all did that then we would banish hunger across the world.

That is what I call honourable.

PinkFluffyCloud

Celtic, I find it fascinating that you arrived at Veganism through Philosophy.
    I studied Philosophy (at '3rd Level') for a year with the O.U, and loved it. I still have my course credits, really should carry on and get a Degree some time.
    So you must be an ethical businessman, good on ya!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    So you must be an ethical businessman, good on ya!
    I try my best! When investing funds for instance I only invest in companies or authorised investment vehicles that have a zero-tolerance attitude to animal testing, all military products and harm to the enviroment.

So you can guess it's difficult.
    That goverment is best which governs not at all. Thoreau

why not have a forum for "freinds" of Vegan etiquette ( FOVE ). To Post/read on this forum existing members need to donate a small sum each quater...£5/$10 ( at todays exchange rate!!! )....this would sure help with the cost of servers etc for whoever runs this site.........( I've done it very succesfully on a forum I help manage ).

The benefits would be that peeps who truly value this site would be able to converse with each other in relative privacy, but not at the other forums expense!

Hi snowdrift

What forum is that?
    That goverment is best which governs not at all. Thoreau

PinkFluffyCloud

Just sent my donation in £ sterling without thinking - is this acceptable, Korn??

No, it's not acceptable - it's brilliant!

It doesn't matter which currency one donates in: all donations are welcome and highly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, someone who has never used paypal before and have just signed up, just asked me what to use as 'payment type' - Goods (other), Service, or Quasi-Cash.

I've only used PayPal a couple of times myself, and don't know what 'Quasi-Cash' is. Anyone?

PinkFluffyCloud

I picked 'service' - don't know what Quasi-cash is, either!!

I used 'service' as well.

from what PayPal's help page says, don't use quasi-cash as your credit card issuer may charge a cash advance fee. it's supposed to be for sending money to people who aren't offering a service, such as friends and family. sounds best to use service.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I'll start collecting money in a tin
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

I used 'service' - isn't that what we get here?
    Eve

tails4wagging

Default Sanctuary

I agree with Korn, this is a place of sanctuary and long may it remain so!!!

Completely agree!

If I wanted to reach meat eaters, I would not log onto a vegan forum.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I agree tails4wagging. It is nice to have a virtual community where I don't have to constantly repeat or defend why I am Vegan. I sometimes receive that in real life.

This is most definitely my sanctuary away from the meat-eating world. I hear their opinions regularly in the media and just talking to relatives, coworkers etc. I appreciate vegan forum because that sort of stuff is filtered out here due to the forum guidelines.

Thanks Korn.

Yeah! Korn! I was so happy when I found this forum, it's a great place to come and talk to others who share many of the same views.
    "Can't Fly, Can't Fight, Can't Crow"
    -Rufeo

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago while catching up on some new posts. I realized that I felt so relaxed and at ease and NORMAL!!! Which is something that people around constantly make me...well....unfeel. They are always telling me how not NORMAL I am. I am very glad to have stumbled upon this forum 7 months ago *long easy sigh*

*agrees* It's nice to have a place where people agree with you, instead of giving you that "poor thing" look, or the "but where do you get your protein??" talk.
    For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

tails4wagging

Arrow Donations to korns website

I paid by paypal and it was ok, no probs,. I think this is the best way for Korn to receive money. Bearing in mind this is Global!!

spo

Just sent in a contribution through PayPal with no problem. Registering with them is fairly easy
    spo

Quote spo
    Just sent in a contribution through PayPal with no problem. Registering with them is fairly easy
    spo
    Thanks a lot, Spo, I just got that message from PayPal (which I also mentioned here.)

To be on the safe side, if you donate, I think it's good idea to let me know in one way or the other (other than via PayPal) , so I can check that the money actually don't get stuck somewhere in the process.

Thanks again.

I don't have any problem with sending cash by visacard through PayPal. They tell me that they email you immediately, but letting you know myself, that's a good safeguard against accidents.

This forum is important to me, and therefore I like to support the running of it by sending something each month to Korn.
    Eve

I, too, sent in a paltry amount (hey, I figure every bit helps) and had no problems with PayPal (though I know lots of people dislike it for one reason or another).

I think it is super-important to give what you can to keep this place going.

tails4wagging

As I have mentioned somewhere here, as there is 1000 members, every pound/dollar/euro helps!

Mozbee

Default Re: Thanks!

I can imagine what you mean, thankfully I'm away from all the meat-eating (excuse the spelling!)baskets that I worked with since the mid nineties!

Oh for a job that's vegan friendly.

These forums are a lifeline! To be able to talk to nice, sane people when you are the only vegan you actually know- bliss!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

I absolutely agree 100 percent DoveInGrey Clothing.
    Eve

Default Yay Korn

Phew that's relief.

I don't know if you all were aware that the forum had been offline. Korn had spent a long time trying to get it back upo and available for us.

Yay Korn, thanks for your efforts

Antony phew

Default Re: Yay Korn

That was scary. I thought it was my computer acting up.

Thanks, Korn
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Dianecrna
    That was scary. I thought it was my computer acting up.

Thanks, Korn
    i thought I was banned. I just got this page saying "Account disabled" and I though Jebus what did I say!!!

Anyway as soon as the forum was available I sent a donation via my paypal account. It is real easy to do. And this site is SO worth it. And Korn puts in so much work to keep it running. When I emailed him to say something was wrong he had been working in it for more than an hour.

Antony

FR

I have heard that some folks were having trouble getting on here. I did not experience any problems, but maybe I wasn't trying to access it at those times. Glad it is all worked out.

Thanks....
    You weren't banned - I were (due to an error)! After an hour with lot's of emails, 45 minutes listening to some prerecorded messages (overseas) - you know, the "Please hold the line, we'll be right with you'-kind of thing, we were up again....