Thread: Brussels - for a virgin vegan voyage

Default Brussels - for a virgin vegan voyage

Hey all, myself and my fiancee are going to Brussels for a few days at the end of the month for my 21st and we were wondering whether you guys and gals could help us out. I've not been abroad since I was 10 and this is therefore the first time since going vegan.

The hotel we have got (Novotel Tour Noire) has breakfast included, so we can hopefully have some toast, juice, fruit etc in the morning, so that's okay. However, where would people suggest, reasonably priced, for lunch and evening meal? Hopefully somewhere close to the city centre (though I'm not averse to travelling a little as long as it's close to public transport).

When making your suggestions, can you include where it is, the type of food, how much on average and other stuff you may think i'll need.

Merci Beaucoup!

oh and P.S, my french is a little rusty (GCSE at best!) - so let me know if they speak english at all!

Default Re: Brussels - for a virgin vegan voyage

I expect you will hear from people who've been there lately, but in the meantime have you seen this listing+reviews:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/belgi...els/index.html

I have been there a few times but not recently and I can't remember where I ate , though Shanti rings a faint bell. There were various falafel bars and things round the Grand'Place so I bet you won't starve Hope you enjoy yourself.

aw wow falafel! you're always safe with falafel. I've looked at the happy cow thing a few times before, but it has no inkling as to what dairy free brands there are in Belgium. What should I look out for in shops? Some staples such as Alpro, or similar vegan brands if alpro aren't stocked in Belgium. Any thing in stock in Belgium supermarkets we can eat? Any brands that are solely vegan because I would like some definites that will catch my eye if I'm desparate!

thanks

Not so sure - you can get meat-stuffed falafel now I was reading but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I don't recall being in a Belgium supermarket but Alpro seems to be a Belgian firm so you might be lucky! You could always e-mail them for stockists.

ew meat falafel! that is vile. Like Boots houmous sandwiches that have milk in the houmous. tsk

i'll assume there aren't any Belgians or recent visitors to there on this forum then...

if there are any in the woodwork, please help us out! We're going in a few days!

If all else fails there are a couple of contacts you could try e-mailing here:

http://www.european-vegetarian.org/l...es/belgium.php

Not sure if they're current but the website given, http://www.vegetarisme.be/ still works.

got back from belgium yesterday and it was okay, but not brilliant for vegans.

We had one meal the whole time we were there (!) - spag bol at the lovely GreenWay in Ghent - great place to be vegan in belgium it seems. We found a couple of health food shops while we were there and survived on soyade, alpro yoghurts, margarine and desserts, de rijt stroopwaffles, sandwiches made with pates and the like. the Delhaize supermarket was good - more alpro products than in this country (belgian chocolate flavour desserts as well cooking "butter" and spreading margarines!); alfalfa sprouts for about 80p equivalent and other stuff we don't get in UK supermarkets.

anyway it was fun!