Thread: Cinema popcorn

Default Cinema popcorn

I was at the cinema last weekend and I asked if the popcorn was vegan or if it was cooked in butter. The lady said she'd go and find out, then when she came back said it didn't say what it's cooked in.

Does anyone know/has anyone found out if the popcorn in cinemas is vegan? Are all the cinema's popcorn made by the same people or are there different companies? In which case is there a number to call?

Heh, loads of questions :P Just wondering because popcorn is YUMMY

Default Re: Cinema popcorn

I agree! Last time I checked, Cineworld's salted popcorn was vegan. See here for a thread on the subject.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I was naughty and smuggled my own in last time

i always take my own. cos i'm poor

its normal practise to smuggle in your own nibbles on principle cos the stuff they sell...any of it..is way overpriced and usually cack..isn't it?!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

i have walked with sweets openly in my hand and its not been a problem, but then i would kick up a fuss about not having ingredients clearly marked if they had a go at me. But then I know people who have had their bags searched on the way in and sweets confiscated. how unfair!!

I don't see how they would have any right to confiscate your sweets and snacks unless they have the policy clearly marked as a term and condition of buying the ticket. The cinema nearest me is next to a supermarket and I used to go and buy crisps, samosas and drinks from there and then go in with the bags - if anyone had challenged me I would have said it was my shopping, but they never did
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I always carry around a giant bag, so when we go to the movies, good use is made of my oversized handbag. My friends throw their candy & beverages in and I always bring our own popcorn. Besides, the popcorn I make is so much tastier and healthier than the stuff they sell. A small popcorn at our local theatre is $4 dollars. A water is $2.50. Who wants to buy overpriced snacks?!

BlackCats

I don't see why popcorn wouldn't be vegan, except maybe it contains butter?

(I always take food with me to the cinema - they don't usually sell crisps at the cinema and I don't like popcorn.
    If anyone that worked in the cinema tried to take my crisps away from me they would be sorry!)

I forgot to say that I do understand the appeal of buying it there though - for one thing you don't have to lug a bag around, and buying overpriced snacks always used to be part of the fun and what made it more of a treat when I was younger
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks for the replies. It's the sweet stuff I like. It looks vegan but I can't be sure it's not cooked in butter.

Where does everyone get their homemade popcorn from?

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    I've seen some that had beta carotene in the oil. Gelatine can be used as a "carrier". There's a thread about that too somewhere.

Your best bet is to ask head office, not the local cinemas. They will be able to find out for you.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Other than what RW said there's flavourings, preservatives, sweeteners etc. Most cinemas use popcorn that's been prepopped in a factory and somehow preserved.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

BlackCats

That must be why popcorn tastes so gross.

I've never trusted cinema popcorn. This is actually the first time that it's occurred to me that it might be vegan. Still, I'd rather not eat it.

I do love popcorn, though, and it's been easy enough to buy plain popcorn, and then add melted vegan butter (Earth Balance tastes great!) and a touch of salt. I did this when my omni cousin visited me, and she loved it, too. It tasted just like any other batch of popcorn, but I felt safer knowing exactly what was in it (or on it).

when i was a the theaters last week i asked to see the ingredients... she brought over this milk carton shaped box of nastyness...

it was filled with salt, colorings, and "natural flavor" wich probably ment some butter or whey or something...

nasty!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I think I'm unique in my opinion that people shouldn't be allowed to eat anything in a movie theater. It's loud and messy. People always have to be munching on something. Eat and chat at home or in a restaurant; watch a film at the movie theater. Down with the system!

Quote Cherry View Post
    I was naughty and smuggled my own in last time
    Me too! I agree with Agatha though - the main reason I do it is to save money. The added bonus is knowing EXACTLY when, where, how it was made...
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

I used to work as a popcorn boy at a foreign and independent cinema. We only mixed the popcorn seeds with salt and corn oil. If people wanted butter, we would pour it on afterward in their bag. So as far as my experience shows me, the popcorn is a vegan product. Small theatres like the one I worked in even had nutritional/savory yeast as a topping for popcorn. Too bad mainstream theatres don't do that.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Quote bugaboo View Post
    I used to work as a popcorn boy at a foreign and independent cinema. We only mixed the popcorn seeds with salt and corn oil. If people wanted butter, we would pour it on afterward in their bag. So as far as my experience shows me, the popcorn is a vegan product. Small theatres like the one I worked in even had nutritional/savory yeast as a topping for popcorn. Too bad mainstream theatres don't do that.
    Yeah, most of the cinemas in england buy stuff from another company. So it arrives in bags, and god knows how old some of it is... I used to work in a theatre which was next to the cinema, so during Pantomime we'd sell the popcorn. Used to stick to the carpet like crazy! Drove me mad

Quote Agatha View Post
    i always take my own. cos i'm poor
    Best trick:

go to a theater with refils, find a LARGE clean bucket from the garbage or the floor, then get a refil for minimal charge or for free. That's 25 cents for a $10 popcorn here. I love it.

Either way, the only non-vegan popcorn is usually advertised as "real butter" around these parts.
    context is everything

Quote danaeonyx View Post
    Yeah, most of the cinemas in england buy stuff from another company. So it arrives in bags, and god knows how old some of it is...
    yes in the UK sweet popcorn arrives at the cinema in large polyethene bags (a bit like bin bags ) and has a shelf life of about a year. Due to poor stock rotation and the fact that the bags frequently get broken in transit i wouldn't really recommend it. The cinema co i worked for used to get lots of complaints about stale and even mouldy popcorn

The salted popcorn is a better bet as it is usually popped fresh daily on site. The type we sold was vegan as the only ingredients used were popcorn kernerls, veg oil and salt.

I would definately bring my own (if only I was more organised...) I do usually try to smuggle a few beers in if I think I'll get away with it tho!
    Last edited by phoenix rising; Aug 21st, 2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: wanted to add something!
    when everything changes...change everything

Quote phoenix rising View Post
    I do usually try to smuggle a few beers in if I think I'll get away with it tho!
    Now this I've never tried...giving me ideas though...
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.