Thread: Vegan Derby

Default Vegan Derby

Hi I'm moving to Derby from Swansea in september!

Don't know anyone there or any good vegan places/clubs etc. Just got settled in swansea and gotta move again!?

Does anyone know where the best places to eat/buy food are? Is there a veggie/vegan group?

HELP!

Jen xxx

Default Re: Vegan Derby

Hey!

I dont know if theres much in Derby tbh.. Its not a big place. alot of people tend to travel to Nottingham (~£5 return) as there are loads of good places there!

From www.veganvillage.co.uk

Soundbites

Vegan wholefood shop and small cafe in Derby. Local and organic food, fair trade goods, eco cleaning products and cruelty free toiletries. Noticeboards for the use of local groups, and a meeting room.

www.soundbitesderby.org.uk

thanks for that

Based on the thread title ...
    I keep imagining vegans racing down a hill in wooden carts .

I really need more sleep.

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i grew up in derby and although i wasn't a vegan then, it has at least got better. i still have family there and end up visiting a couple of times a year. there is a holland &barrett and a Julian Graves, the market used to have a wholefoods stall. I can't think of any specifically veggie cafes or restaurants (although i am out of touch) but some of the cafes down saddlergate have soya milk and fruit smoothies on the menu. restaurants have always adapted meals for me without battering an eyelid and there's the usual run of tapas bars and indian restaurants that have suitable menus. not brilliant, but its not all bad.

From www.veggies.org.uk and worth a mention.

Saturday 8th September 2007 to Sunday 9th September

Food by Veggies

Derby Eco-Fest 2007

thanks very much Gert! i will definately be going to the eco-fest as its weekend i move in!

i went on soundbites website and looks like there is a new veggie group starting AND a new veggie cafe opening, so looks like i'm moving a right time.

thanks for all ur help guys xx

There is a bit of a campaign scene in Derby, promoting veganism and helping groups such as Uncaged and Animal Aid etc. Anybody PM me and I'll tell you what's happening next.
    Last edited by Level 5 Vegan; Jul 9th, 2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: The vegetarian cafe I mentioned in this message has since closed down though not for a lack of trade

Not only may Derby be close to Nottingham, but you'd be near Leicester too and we have lots of vegan stuff here
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Derby is low on vegan cafe's and restaurants and things but sound bites more than makes up for it!

What restaurants are there in Derby that have vegan options - not specifically veggie restaurants (although if there are any I'd be interested), but any mainstream or independent places really. Don't mind what sort of food, just interested in where I could eat out - if it's vegan I'll eat it! I'm moving to Derby in a few weeks so trying to do a bit of research before I get there.
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

Do check out "SoundBites" . I visit a Vega*n group over there sometimes, called "Amber Valley Vega*ns".
    Let me know if you want to subscribe to the notices... I think they send me programmes for Nottingham's "Sumac centre" aswell [whom host skill shares, and other events once in a while].
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I was looking at the Sound Bites website yesterday, think I shall be investigating once I get there.

Are there not many vegans in Derby? This thread was buried! lol... not anymore though x
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Hello and welcome, Blueberry. Don't worry, there are loads of you Derby and Notts types round here! It's such a big and communicative forum that hundreds of threads go quiet for a bit while others are being given an airing, but they all come round again! Enjoy, and hope your transition is going well.

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Are there not many vegans in Derby? This thread was buried! lol... not anymore though x
    Have you met "Amber Valley Veg*ns" yet Blueberry?

Thanks Ruby Rose! I'll keep my eyes peeled :smile:

Quote whalespace View Post
    Have you met "Amber Valley Veg*ns" yet Blueberry?
    I can honestly say apart from maybe people who work in Lush (and lovely people they are too) and the man who works in Sound Bites I haven'tt actually met any vegans. I have no vegan friends and am relying on forums at the moment!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

I just tried to view Amber Valley Vegans Facebook page but I can't. Does anyone know how I get in touch with them please? Cheers! xx

I'll ask if I may send you an e'mail address, Blueberry. Should be fine.

Thanks Whalespace! I look forward to it - would be nice to meet some people who didn't think I was mad xxx

I live not far from Derby and did a stall at Derby's Biannual Eco-Fest about six months ago and was pleasantly surprised; there were local people I had never met before who were wearing Viva! t-shirts or who were veggie or vegan and into animal rights.

It's just that there's no longer much in the way of letting people know other veggies and vegans as there isn't a cafe or veg society and a couple of years ago the animal rights group pretty much ceased to be. If somebody wished to organise a society or group in the city, I know there's plenty of people spread out here and there to fill it.

As you mention, Soundbites is an absolute gem for vegan shopping and the Lush has veggies and vegans and has relished running campaigns to raise money for animals and promote vegetarianism and veganism.

Level 5 vegan, can I just say that you officially have the greatest name on VF?
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

i live in nottingham and i travel to derby just for soundbites! they have more ranges of tofu and chocolate than my usual health stores and their fresh food is amazing too!

leicester is fantastic for indian food, there are two roads with cafes allover the place and very very cheap too!

Hel, have you been to Shivalli in Leicester, at the top of Welford Road (opposite the ugly council buildings)? The buffet is reallly good

Heh, I still haven't been to Derby, after 9 years in Leicester!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

dont think i have but thats next on my list! i cant remember the last one we went to, it was on a really busy road, near impossible to park (i guess if you live in leicester youd get the bus) but we ate more than humanly possible for about £20 and took the leftovers home in tubs!

eta: and now im craving spicy okra and its not even midday!

I was desperate for a takeaway last night and hadn't been very adfventurous since turning vegan. So I rang our local Indian restaurant, explained about the veganism and the guy was so helpful we decided to eat in instead. He told me they don't use Ghee at all, they don't cook any rice in meat stock (cooking lots of authentic Indian food myself I wasn't surprised at that) and that they could adapt almost anything to vegan, as long as it was a hotter rather than mild dish. So, I had a vegetable stuffed pepper, which was awesome, and my partner had mushroom puri, also vegan. Then I had a veg madras, garlic rice, poppadoms, mango chutney and salad. I loved every mouthful, it was so tasty and I will definitely go back! It is Bengal Blues in Belper, if anyone fancies a curry!

I thought this might be of use to someone!

I went to Normanton Road Friday night for some food. I haven't been since going vegan, so thought I'd set myself a challenge to find some vegan food there - for those of you that don't know it's a very Asian area and has a lot of Pakistani eateries, so lots of Halal meat etc. Anyway, I found that Desi Sweets, at the bottom of Normanton Road just on Pear Tree Road, is Indian and sells all veggie dishes. So, you can have a cauliflower dish, lovely and fragrant, dhal, stuffed aubergines, samosas, roti, okra jalfrezi, and a few others. It doesn't look like a 5* take away, but the food is good.

Then there is Shahneshah, a mixed place, but they also have lots of vegan options by default. Their potato and spinach is to die for! Their samosas and little potato fritters are also vegan. Watch the sauces though.

But my favourite, (and I cannot tell you how much Indian and Pakistani food I have consumed over the years) is still Secanderis. It is opposite Desi, and you can eat in - a bit like a café style takeaway. Normally I would have had the lamb, which was awesome, and I have eaten there many times over the past few years. The owner is very respectful of everyone's beliefs, and will NOT lie to you! lol... He is also the only 4*** hygiene certificate owner down there and you will see the difference from some other places as soon as you walk in. He is very proud of his food. I had the most amazing dhal I have ever eaten, was convinced it was done with butter, but he showed me the yellow one is vegan, the brown is with butter. We also bought a veggie dish made with courgettes, roti etc and a portion of chick pea rice - the whole lot, enough for 4 people, was £11. Rotis are 40p each - I don't think they can be found cheaper! Last night we went back and had a mushroom and sweet pepper dish which was spicy but not over hot, so tasty. The owner was very clear about what was meat product free and which wasn't.

Anyway, I just thought I would share! Off now to drive down and get some more for dinner!

I love talking to myself so i'm leaving myself a note here... This thread is so quiet I doubt anyone else will read it!

Anyway! Thai Noodle Bar in the Westfield food court... will go out of their way to make a vegan friendly dinner. Very helpful staff and the food is scrummy. I ordered off the menu, nit from the buffet as the girl said they make all the food fresh so would be easy to make something suitable, and it was!!

If any Derby vegans are out there.... give it a try!

ALSO! Soundbites now has a bookshop café above it called Yaffle. Completely vegan!! Only open Tues, Thurs and Sat at mo, but open till 9pm Thursday.

Thanks for the tips Blueberry! Finding places to eat out in Derby is currently on my to-do list... will share if I find any!

I love talking to myself so i'm leaving myself a note here... This thread is so quiet I doubt anyone else will read it!

ALSO! Soundbites now has a bookshop café above it called Yaffle. Completely vegan!! Only open Tues, Thurs and Sat at mo, but open till 9pm Thursday.
    Thanks Blueberry. I passed through Derby in August, and found propper treacle [Rayner's i think] in SoundBites ...only 52 percent sugar.

I once played a character called Professor Yaffle at school [inspired by Bagpuss].

November is a month I was dreading... lots of birthdays and the in-laws always organize a meal out, always a carvery. Anyway, we went to the Kings Highway on Kingsway, and I rang ahead to ask if they could cater for me. They were so helpful! I did have carvery, but I paid for a child's meal and had no meat and Yorkshires, just stuffing, carrots, braised red cabbage, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts, vegan gravy, cranberry sauce and they even brought me out a little bowl of cauliflower (as they cover it in cheese sauce) which was steamed just for me. For dessert, the guy said nothing on the menu was suitable, but as they did fruit and ice cream for children he could make me a fresh fruit salad... I was happy with that! And my father-in-law had the same, so I was doubly happy... he's not a vegan, but a pesky pescatarian.... lol x

Anyway, thught I'd share that they were helpful and friendly, didn't once make me feel awkward and if you have omni families who you go out for dinner with, it's a good compromise x

Anyway! Thai Noodle Bar in the Westfield food court... will go out of their way to make a vegan friendly dinner. Very helpful staff and the food is scrummy. I ordered off the menu, nit from the buffet as the girl said they make all the food fresh so would be easy to make something suitable, and it was!
    ^ This place is f*cking awesome. Often stop by for some tofu & cashews in sweet 'n' sour sauce when I'm town.

is the tofu and cashews vegan then? im in derby tomorrow and i usually do soundbites for a sammich but i quite fancy something hot i think!

Hi everyone!
    I just went out for a meal with my BF. We called at Normanton Road where we normally get take out or eat in Secanderi's but they have a lot of meat products and I'm getting really p***ed off with eating anywhere near meat at the moment. So, we tried Dosa Express opposite Pak's, if anyone would like to try it I recommend it. The place is basic, a few tables and more like a café or traditional Southern Indian food joint but the food is so tasty.

Whe I got there my partner was already asking about the menu for me and I just added I was vegan. Instead of a blank face, I was met with an amazing welcome by someone who said he wanted to support vegans! He said he was 'pure vegetarian', no eggs or honey but still drinks milk but he is working toward giving it up. It's not his restaurant, and there are a few meat options but they are listed on the menu... get this... as "Non-vegetarian items" - which I have never seen before, and there are only a few.

There are some paneer items, some egg, but a lot of vegan options. I had mushroom manchurian and then a Dosa Masala. The two of us ate two courses and the bill was £18.95.

When we made to leave, the chap came to us with a menu that he had ticked every vegan dish, in case I want to phone for a take-away.

I was very impressed, but I feel this is a place vegans should follow the mantra "Use it or lose it." Indian places struggle on Normanton Road, most are Pakistani owned eateries. Anyway, give it a go... please! x

And another thing!

Above Sound Bites is a new café called Yaffle.. They have a FB page if you want to join it. They are now open every day except Sunday, from I think 12-5. Fully vegan. Again, use it or lose it! x

Thanks for this.

I am seeing the derby AR activists at their meeting later today so will be sure to pass on the good news about the Normanton Road restaurant.

Soundbites and Yaffle Cafe rock! And yes, very much Use it or Lose it with these excellent places. Have you been watching The Peoples Supermarket documentary on Channel 4?! I had never heard of that phrase til I watched that programme sunday.

There's a veggie cafe open lunchtimes at the tara buddhist centre in Etwall but it's all cheese, they can do a vegan dish of salad beans and bagels and sometimes they have vegan soup but for the most part it caters less well for a vegan than any street pub.

Hi Level 5!
    Yes... I do watch it! I wish i lived nearer to it as well. Great idea, but I'd be pushing vegan food!

Thanks for passing on the info to the group. The place is great because of it's welcome. The chap I spoke to is a Jain... gets told off by his mother when she rings him from Gujerat because he drinks milk. He said when he moved over here he couldn't believe the amount of non-vegetarian food available, and he wants to welcome vegans because "it is a good thing for our planet which they are doing!"... it made such a change from having to analyse a whole menu. He is a Jain, so has strong beliefs about animal rights.

I told him I would spread the word... so i started here!

I usually just end up in Wetherspoons to keep family happy but these other restaurants sound *interesting*.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Lol... drinking a pint of beer in the morning with a fry up, that's my experience of Wetherspoons. Isn't the only thing they have on the menu that watery butternut squash curry? Mind you at least they have something marked as Vegan!

Try the Kings Highway too... they do a carvery but for vegans you buy a small plate £3.99 and have as much veg and roasties asn you like. The stuffing and gravy are vegan too, and the cranberry sauce and mustard. Very tasty!

Another new place: The Orange Peel, Becket Well Lane, Derby. It's in a little side street opposite The Post Office on Victoria Street (almost on The Wardwick). It's Caribbean, and two ladies run it, one is Vegan, one isn't. Pauline makes a cheescake and it's really nice. Sugar and fat free too, which is almost guilt free cake! There is a section of the menu marked specially for vegans.

Cool.