Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Complain to BBC over defamatory programme

Default Re: Complain to BBC over defamatory programme

Me too.

Mahk

So did it air? Anyone see it?

It did air, yeah. I didn't watch it all though, I had to go out.

i didn't see it, but i read a newspaper review saying how 'exciting' it was. it sounded totally ridiculous to me.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cobweb

I watched half of it before switching off in disgust, it really was pathetic TV

So was there much about animal rights groups in it, or was that just by the way?

Kevster

I watched it, it was a fantasy, not sure about a drama...

Aside from the purported animal rights activists accidentally blowing up a coach (just who would risk taking a bomb on a coach???) it was actually quite entertaining to watch. Apparently the bomb was destined for an establishment that kills 500 animals a day, so i guess that is real enough as Huntingdon Life Sciences does that.

But the kindly compassionate people, who then turned out to be the villains did not have their arguments represented, all that was really there was an attempt to justify using a bomb against an animal research institution (didn't say what the actual target was... buildings/cars/people!/animals! etc) against the bomb going off and killing and maiming people on the coach, who were actually pretty upset. So they were always on a bit of a loser there.

In fairness the 'animal rights' people were pretty sorry over the whole event though.

cobweb

i'm afraid i didn't get that far, Harpy, it was a silly story line involving this new doctor who was absolutely hopeless, and then suddenly this bomb went off and they were focusing on all these terribly injured people having to have on the spot amputations, etc..............
    I found it all very sick and it was making me cross, knowing who was going to be 'behind it'

It was really crap actually. I used to watch Casualty and whatever they have done with the filming technique and set made it difficult to watch - the weak 'plot' and new characters made it totally unenjoyable no matter what the subject was. It was boring not exciting in my view, and I would have switched off if I hadn't wanted to see what they were going to do with the AR story.

I wasn't watching closely because it was such rubbish that it was a challenge to leave it on until the end!! (and didn't see part 2 the following night) but . . . as far as I could see the bomb went off 'by accident' when being loaded onto a coach on the way to where they did want to set it off, they "didn't mean to hurt anyone" and the guy who orchestrated it helped with the injured,felt terrible, contemplated suicide and gave himself up so the grieving relatives could have some comfort that justice had been done.
    His 'student' the bomber was more concerned about an injured dog than injured people and chose to die rather than accept any medicines at all.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks for the descriptions - it does sound like bilge, but perhaps as such not very damaging to the pro-animal movement...?

We have little to fear from Casualty.
    Holby City perhaps..
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote harpy View Post
    . . . but perhaps as such not very damaging to the pro-animal movement...?
    I think people who know nothing about AR and watched this will now have a very negative impression of us as extremeists who only care about animals and do not care about human life at all, even their own. This is not a view most people can comprehand and at best it distances us from 'the norm' and makes us less human and easier to dismiss or at worst makes us contemptuous and figures of hate.

Also links us with the things we are being told about terrorists and their training camps recently by portraying a 'leader' who trains up or perhaps even brainwashes young people (in Casualty he said "she is my student") to plant bombs and the like.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I think people who know nothing about AR and watched this will now have a very negative impression of us as extremeists who only care about animals and do not care about human life at all, even their own.
    Because of the dog bit you mean? At least they "didn't mean to hurt anyone" though?

Also links us with the things we are being told about terrorists and their training camps recently by portraying a 'leader' who trains up or perhaps even brainwashes young people (in Casualty he said "she is my student") to plant bombs and the like.
    Sounds like a sign of their last minute change of plan from Islamists to AR people.

Kevster

It was absolute rubbish as one can pretty much expect from the bbc when covering a story line about animal rights. Why they can't ever afford the time to look at some facts?? Instead they either fantasise or dramatise some programme involving animal rights. And don't do anyone a service.

Mahk

I think letters of protest make even more sense now that we know exactly what the whole story was. Before they could always contend, "Oh but wait, how can you condemn a program you haven't seen yet?"

Marrers, I thought your points regarding the dehumanizing of vegans this may have caused with the general public, analogies to terrorist camps, training, and brainwashing were all good points. I'd put all this in such a letter, but seeing as I didn't see the show (and I'm in the US) I don't think they'd care.

Dehumanization is the first step ultimately leading to genocide. As an example, think of what happehed to the Jews in Nazi Germany.

Quote Mahk View Post

Dehumanization is the first step ultimately leading to genocide. As an example, think of what happehed to the Jews in Nazi Germany.
    Oh I like that one! I'd use it, but I also didn't see the program. From what I have heard it is very offensive. They wouldn't do that to any other group of people for fear of reprisals!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    for fear of reprisals!
    Lol - let's live up to their portrayal of us!