Thread: Farm animal contact and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Default Farm animal contact and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

A new German study found that infants that have regular contact with farm animals are less likely to develop IBS systems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070824/...dgklE.IN.s0NUE

I think it may have something to do with the diet the kids around farm animals have. I think they are less likely to eat meat as much growing up around animals. Just a thought.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Default Re: Farm animal contact and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

to add to the last bit: I think the kids would feel more compassion for those animals therefore choosing not to eat meat as often.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Quote bugaboo View Post
    to add to the last bit: I think the kids would feel more compassion for those animals therefore choosing not to eat meat as often.
    Nah,would disagree with that,it's such an ingrained way of life that the children take it for granted the animals are eaten,maybe when they are older then they make their own decisions about diet!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Generally speaking contact with various bacteria results in a more efficient immune system. Farm kiddies get dirty and eat food with dirty fingers.

Apparently ultra hygienic American missionaries in South America were getting sick much more often than their less 'hygienic' European peers. And one researcher introduced parasites into his own body to prove his theory that hygiene is not a black and white issue.

Research also suggests that younger siblings are less likely to get ill...assumption being that they are regularly exposed to more pathogens than the first child. Asthma is thought to be more common in the first or only child in a family and some exposure to pathogens in infancy reduces the chances of asthma occurring. Breastfeeding also protects children while their immune systems are immature.

I think the essence of that article is not that farm animals are good for us but that healthy exposure to pathogens is (for most people).
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato