Thread: What to eat instead of...

Default what to eat instead of

White bread -

butter or margerine -

I'm sure there's more stuff , these are just the main things I run across.

Do you have a health food/wholefood store near you? You can get vegan spreads in those sorts of shops (and in some regular supermarkets in the UK , don't know about where you are). I don't normally bother - I put flax oil or olive oil on bread if I feel in need of anything.

Various breads without animal products should be available in the same sorts of shop. Lately I have been buying German-style rye bread (pumpernickel) which is meant to be good for you and doesn't contain animal products (well, mine doesn't but you'd better check the packaging).

A fruit-sweetened jelly or jam! No sugar added. Yum!

How about whole-grain bread? We have one here that is multi-grain oat. It is delicious!

Butter replacements - tahini, avocado, olive/flax oil, nut spreads
    White bread replacements - wholegrain versions of breads/rolls/wraps/pitas, essene/sprouted grain breads or breads made from spelt, dark rye (pumpernickel), brown rice, kamut or buckwheat

Thanks for the info., I'm just so confused about what breads are Vegan and what breads are not!

I was in the Health food section of Kroger, and they have some breads, that don't contain wheat, I don't see any egg or milk listed, but I'm still not sure........ I do like Pita Bread.

I would like some kind of Butter replacement for Baked Potatoes. I used to do the whole bit. Butter, cheese, sourcream, bacon bits, everything but chives!

I have found that I like potatoes chopped up with olive oil and garlic on top, and roasted in the oven, yummy!

PinkFluffyCloud

You still can, Blue!
    Vegan 'rashers', Tofutti 'cream cheese', and Vegan Marg or Butter, mmmmmmmmm.

I guess you purchase this stuff at Health Food stores. I live in this small town without that. I already drive to Baytown to get to Kroger. I'll have to drive almost an hour or an hour to get to a healfood store!

Have you checked the health section of Kroger for any of this? Our "Kroger" (goes by Dillons in Kansas) has a refiderated health food section with organic frozen veggies and friuts, soy ice cream, waffles and amy's products along with the usual boca, morningstar fare. They also have tofutti products, soy milks, vegan cheese ect. They also have a lot of organic cereals, pastas and all the dressings bit...never seen the veggie bacon bits though.
    On my potatos I do olive oil and whatever seasonings I feel necessary...sometimes just sea salt and pepper. Although I never did the cheese, bacon, sour cream bit as I HATED sour cream until right before I went vegan (sad huh?) and never liked bacon at all...love veggie bacon though. I guess I am just wierd.
    ~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

There is a small section like that. The bigger the town the more they offer!