Thread: Obesity in America study

Default Obesity in America study

Obesity in America continues to rise at alarming rates. In the most obese state, Mississippi, almost 1 out of 3 people were considered obese. It makes me sad that my taxes are going to treat people who take no responsibility for their own personal health. Anyway heres a news report:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070827/....JHwgZURas0NUE
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

BlackCats

Default Re: Obesity in America study

That's really worrying Bugaboo.
    The obesity rates are rising in UK as well. I met this German guy last year and he said he was shocked by how many overweight people there are in UK. He said he hadn't noticed it in other parts of Europe.

(I think it is because so many activities are based around eating and drinking alcohol. Also the cheapest food is the worst for you.)

At the same time, the US approves the same old farm bill that pays millions to giant corporate farms that produce feed for animals... and thus US tax dollars go on to subsidize the worst food so that it stays cheap and people don't have to pay the real price for a McDonalds/Burger King/Wendy's burger.

There is a clear misguided use of public funds to make obesity an epidemic. It is totally created by certain public desicions, and it's appalling.
    context is everything

Obesity is rising in Japan too, now that Big Macs are ever-present, and the ubiquitous Starbucks are so popular with the modern young things. They like to be seen drinking a latte at Starbucks - whilst their elders who still drink green tea, shake their heads. I mean, milk was never on their shopping lists.
    Eve

I'm sad to call myself American because it really is such a beautiful country but it seems like the USA and maybe even the "west" as a whole is really taking a horrible toll, not only on it's own people, but everyone around the world.

I try to think of a world without American influence; and it's very hard to think of because our politicians and corporations push everything on everyone.

I, personally, just wish to live a simple, modest life in a mountainous forest growing my own fruit and veg and bathing in rivers. I'm really sad at how commercial everything is. Unfortunately, for me to live in that mountainous green forest I will have to work for another twenty years before I make enough money to buy the land to live on.

Vicious circle, eh?
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

I know you're gay and everything......but could I come to that mountainous retreat? I'll bring my boyfriend to keep you company

Seriously though, when I first moved to Canada, from Australia, 5 and a half years ago, I really noticed how fat a lot of people were in this city. Especially young people. Not just chubby, but obese. It's so sad.

Roxy, actually, I was recently looking at a lot of properties in B.C. because it's just so amazingly peaceful and beautiful there, and semi-affordable.

My family owns some property in Nanaimo and I love it there. I try to go once a year, if possible.

But, anyway, You can come visit me whenever you want at my potential mountain refuge...haha.

But I will not take advantage of your offer with your boyfriend. I'm just so happy being without intimacy. Am I becoming asexual? I just have no desire for personal relationships. I just want to live with the trees.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

You're a hippie at heart Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, once you get out of the city, there are lots of beautiful places in B.C. I remember reading last night, that you were born in White Rock.

I am not sure if I'm a hippie at heart, but it's all or nothing for me. I have always wished to live in the heart of a city but recently I just wish to live without hassles and I get so much enjoyment in nature hikes and all that. I would love to either live in a Downtown or the middle of nowhere. Anything is preferable to the suburbs (where I currently live.)
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

We live on the very edge of a forest and a wide open hills, just a few steps from the door we can walk up the hill and the view of the countryside from the top is magnificent.
    The house was very affordable - we bought it in a run down state and few people want to live in our town for some strange reason, too remote for them I suppose. So don't despair - your rural idyll can't be far off
    Silent but deadly :p