Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

Default Cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

so i love love love cauldren marinated tofu, they have changed the packaging and a "new improved recipe" OMG its DISGUSTING the texture is nasty they taste vile they are smaller its terrible upset i loved that stuff anyone else like the new stuff

Default Re: why did they do that ??????

Oh dear, I haven't seen or tried the new stuff but I liked it so much I'd eat it out of the packet before.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Me too. I suppose if everyone hates it they will go back to the old version. Either that or we may get used to the new one (which I haven't tried either) - or don't you think that's possible, mchelle?

no way trust me i loved the old stuff ate it out packet all time this stuff is tiny brown squares and is totally nasty the texture is wierd to really soft horrible

Default Re: cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ??????

That good eh? I might have to go on a quest for some to try; perhaps I can combine it with my hot cross bun quest.

Default Re: cauldren marinated tofu - why did they do that ?

they have changed the packaging on everything not sure if everything else has changed cause they not vegan are they other than the other tofu stuff that can scramble ? got some of that but cant see that being able to change fingers crossed

I had a quick look on their website and they didn't seem to be owning up to any of this although there was a new product mentioned (salad topper or something like that?).

I wouldn't have thought they could change the plain tofu much (or the smoked, think I've got some of that).

i just looked at the plain tofu i have in fridge you know it was in a brown cardboard box, then inside plastic well this new one is in a plastic box with "improved recipe" hmmmm we will see dont know if its just the box its in but it seems bigger aswell

blame the taste testers!!

i occasionally get send samples of cauldron foods to taste test, cook test, smell test, texture test etc. i have only ever been send the felafal and commented on that but i suppose the same this is done for the tofu.

you could always contact cauldron, tell them your concerns about the new tofu and ask to be put on their list of testers for the future??

OMG i dont know who taste tested that then and said it was nice yuck

ooohh i went to asda today and they still had the old stuff yahoo got 2 packets so happy for today at least

pavotrouge

oh no! shops around me still have the old stock... I am shocked! But then, if the tofu pieces turn out to be nasty now, I shall be saving quite some money.

i know me too i ate that stuff nearly everyday, it seems wierd not having it i cant believe how much different they are, i cant wait for someone else to try it tell me what they think

I agree the new recipe is horrible in flavour and texture. No longer edible out of the packet - what a shame.

It tastes a bit meaty to me and is now on a par with the tofu pieces made by other companies, none of which I like.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Interesting. The last lot I ate tasted rubbish - really awful. But I was cooking quickly and didn't notice the packaging. Now I'm wondering if it was from this new stock. I certainly won't be buying it again if that's the case. It really was yucky and made my stir fry smell horrible!

The pieces are much smaller too, I'm sure you would have noticed the change.

I ate a few from the pack (I was desperate for some on the go food as I was stuck away from home for a couple of days) but as desperate as I was I couldn't eat many as they were horrid. I used the remainder for cooking and even that didn't really make them palatable. I'm not buying them again.

What with this and the Pure cream cheese I do wonder who they have doing the taste tests . . .

Yes - the same width but not so long? If so, it looks like they were the new ones. Gross! It infuriates me when a really nice food item gets changed for no good reason that I can tell, and made worse in the process. (Alpro Soya Original etc.)

i just went on their website to have look it got old stuff still on and a mention of some stuff called tofu salad toppers anyone seen them in shops i havnt

I just bought a packet of the marinated chunks in Wholefoods - not sure what kind I've got, the packaging looks the same as before, does that mean I've got the old kind?

If it were the new, we thought they might have put something on the outside, like "Buy this and you'll really appreciate the old recipe when we bring it back in a couple of months time"

the old style is light brownish the new one is dark brown with "new improved" god just thinking about it is bringing back the taste yuck

The plot thickens. The stuff I got from Wholefoods seemed to be old style, and I have just bought some more from Waitrose that also seems to be old style.

Do they still do it in organic and "inorganic" versions? Am just wondering if they have done something like reformulate the ordinary one but not the organic. Or maybe it's regional

leedsveg

Quote Marrers View Post
    What with this and the Pure cream cheese I do wonder who they have doing the taste tests . . .
    Ditto Sosmix.

lv

harpy maybe they have re done it i went in asda and it was still the old version maybe they are phazing them out or something

I think it's a transition. My local Sainsbury's had both for a few days, now only the new one.

I'm not sure as I don't usually take note of prices, but have they used the opportunity to add about 50p to the price? Or is it just my local store?

Agreed on the new taste. They look gross, and they are gross.

Is the gross stuff also labelled "organic"?

I think I'm going to buy some out of morbid curiosity...
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I would too, if I could find the new kind. Am having trouble imagining anything as revolting as described by mchelle (and made of tofu )

i noticed the new packs in sains yesterday - i didn't buy any though.

i notice they have also upped the size and price of the organic tofu blocks. used to be around £1.65 for 250gms i think, now its up to 320gms or there abouts and up to £2.19.

i was in sainsburys other day and someone was buying the new stuff i so wanted to go over and say really i wouldnt if i was you but thought nah they can find out for them selves
    and hey someone out there must like it like the flippin taste testers

I'm sure you would have all already done this, so apologies for being patronizing but do make sure you let them know what you think! I'm going to taste some and then let them know, depending on what I think. I'm curious, after reading this thread!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

BlackCats

I just tasted the new original tofu and it seems more spongy and less firm and it fell apart when I fried it (although I probably used too much soya sauce.) I used to like the marinated one so I will have to try it and see if it is as bad as you all say.

that's weird, blackcats! - i just pre-fried my block of original tofu too!! (to go in my thai green curry later) and it fries up well in sunflower oil on a highish heat, remembering to turn on all sides.

...unfortunately the daughter and i have eaten half it already, dipped in sweet chilli dipping sauce...

BlackCats

^ I think it is definitely more squishy now. I didn't notice any taste difference but then I don't think tofu has much taste anyway.

I loved the old recipe marinated tofu but thought the new and so called improved recipe was vile. I shall be sending Cauldron Foods an email asking why they've ruined a once delicious product.

me too i ate it all the time i cant believe how different it is they havnt just changed the flavour the texture is terrible aswell

I've sent them a message.
    I have been a huge fan of your marinated tofu pieces for a long time and love them so much I often eat them straight out of the packet.

I have just tried the 'new recipe' replacement and find it very unpleasant. The smell, taste and texture are awful in my opinion and I'm hugely disappointed - I won't buy these again. I had been reading lots of bad reviews of the new recipe online but couldn't believe it was as bad as everyone was saying - I was wrong, it is.

I have tried tofu pieces made by other companies and did not like them - I wonder if you have changed your recipe to compete with them? Who are you aiming to attract to the product? It seemed a little meaty in flavour to me.

I was lucky enough to find some of the old recipe pieces in my local Waitrose the other day and I bought every pack they had as this will be my last chance to enjoy this product as it used to be - with it's wonderful flavour and texture.

Why did you have to change a winning recipe? And who do you have doing the taste testing?

On a side not I am also disappointed that your new recipe falafels (stocked by many supermarkets) now contain honey and are therefore - like many of your products - not suitable for vegans. I have written to you in the past about the lack of vegan options in your latest new food products but received no reply.

Since Cauldron and Quorn seem to have the monopoly on providing vegetarian foods to the major supermarkets and neither of you are concerned about making your foods suitable for vegans I will be urging everyone I know to join with me in lobbying the supermarkets asking them to stock their vegetarian options from alternative, vegan friendly food companies which everyone can enjoy.

great let us know if you get a reply

Stuart

I've never tried the old type, but had thought i'd try the marinated tofu as a change from the regular stuff. Maybe I won't bother now...

And I don't have your 'crumbling problems' either, Blackcats. Mine browns up when I fry it: I press my tofu under a pile of books for half an hour each side, cut up into thin-ish pieces, and leave to marinade in soya sauce... Should you care to know

nice one, marrers!

+1 (to general vibe). The new stuff is HORRIBLE. bleh.

BlackCats

Quote Stuart View Post
    And I don't have your 'crumbling problems' either, Blackcats. Mine browns up when I fry it: I press my tofu under a pile of books for half an hour each side, cut up into thin-ish pieces, and leave to marinade in soya sauce... Should you care to know
    I do that! It just seemed to take in more liquid than before. Another vegan guy on a forum was telling me that Cauldron tofu was the least nice brand out there so I might just try the other ones instead.

Excellent letter Marrers. I didn't know about the honey in the falafels! I swear that after quite of few years of improvements in the availability of vegan items there seems to be a movement towards putting either milk derivatives or honey in once vegan products. Why, when there are more vegans? It's a puzzle not to mention very annoying.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I do that! It just seemed to take in more liquid than before. Another vegan guy on a forum was telling me that Cauldron tofu was the least nice brand out there so I might just try the other ones instead.
    There is a Taifun one with almonds or hazelnuts or something that is jolly nice - they sell it in Waitrose as well as some health food shops.

Stuart

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Another vegan guy...
    Us vegan guys will insist on dispensing our advice.

BlackCats

Quote harpy View Post
    There is a Taifun one with almonds or hazelnuts or something that is jolly nice - they sell it in Waitrose as well as some health food shops.
    That is the one I saw online that looked really yummy. My local health food shop might order it in for me.

Quote Stuart View Post
    Us vegan guys will insist on dispensing our advice.

Another disappointed tofu fan checking in . We had the 'new recipe' marinated pieces in a stir fry last night, the smell as it was cooking was not enticing. Smaller pieces, nasty taste, rubbery texture. Yuk.

Also have to add to the praises of Taifun smoked tofu. My wife makes the best vegan kebabs ever - slices of the tofu fried with onions and green peppers, in a pitta bread with Plamil garlic mayo and whatever other condiments desired. Mmmm *happy sigh*

Quote cedarblue View Post
    that's weird, blackcats! - i just pre-fried my block of original tofu too!! (to go in my thai green curry later) and it fries up well in sunflower oil on a highish heat, remembering to turn on all sides.

...unfortunately the daughter and i have eaten half it already, dipped in sweet chilli dipping sauce...
    Crisped-up tofu in sweet chilli sauce = heaven! I sometimes get cravings for it. If tofu wasn't so expensive, I would eat it constantly!

went to asda this morning they still have the old style stuff so got some sure it keeps going up £2.25 today, in my sainsburys it was quite hard to get the old style tofu funny now its changed to new stuff the shelves are full of the stuff

leedsveg

If only Quorn was suitable for vegans as well as being ubiquitous and having a range of 3 million items....

Quote loveganism View Post
    Crisped-up tofu in sweet chilli sauce = heaven!

not 'arf!!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    If only Quorn was suitable for vegans...
    indeed