Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SubWay

The only bread that is vegan from Subway is the Italian. I wouldn't waste your money there unless they have a great assortment of fresh vegetables. The ones here have only iceberg lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pickles, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, onions, and maybe a few other things.

Talking

mmm subway is my absolute favorite fast food restaurant. heres a link to what is animal product free there:

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/men...itionFAQs.aspx

my favorite sandwich is a veggie on italian w/ green peppers, olives, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatoes and sweet onion sauce.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote foxytina_69
    my favorite sandwich is a veggie on italian w/ green peppers, olives, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatoes and sweet onion sauce.
    Mine too!

I thought the Italian dresing was vegan, too? Foxy, Roxy?
    -JK

If you mean the Red Wine Vinigerette - it contains some milk derived ingredients. You can go HERE to check.

I just looked at that chart and giggled a little...under Condiments/Dressings...they list diced eggs and under the allergy item they checked eggs...seems like a no brainer to me but I needed a giggle this early in the morning. Blech Fridays stink...
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote Roxy
    If you mean the Red Wine Vinigerette - it contains some milk derived ingredients. You can go HERE to check.
    No, the Subways 'round here have a plain Italian dressing. Kind of oily. I hope it's veg, I eat there all the time.
    -JK

Is the Italian Bread the plain white bread? When you get a Veggie, do you just pick whatever veggies you want?

i also have gotten the roasted garlic bread aswell. and yes the italian bread is the plain white bread. yep u just tell them whatever veggies u want, as theyre all displayed out for u to see.

we have italian dressing here too. thats wierd that the ingredients arent listed.

The Italian Bread is a plain white bread, but it should be labelled "Italian Bread". Make sure you specifically ask for that bread if you want it.

And yes, you can pick and choose what veggies you want on your sub. I often ask for just "a little bit of lettuce" because I find that if I don't, they pile way to much on and then I can't even fit the sub in my mouth lol.

One of the "sandwich artists" at the Subway next door to my work, told me that they put so much lettuce on veggie subs, because it is the vegetarian's equivalent to meat!!!??? Go figure lol.

I have a Subway right down the street from where I live. I love the vinegar and OIl. So, your telling me it's not Vegan? Whaaaa!

well what is the vinegar and oil?

I think they mean the red wine vinegerette Roxy posted about. You know they ask do you want salt pepper vinegar and oil at the end?

if they ask u if u want vinegar and oil then it wouldnt be the red wine vinegerette, thats a special dressing u have to ask for. but thats wierd. ive never had them ask me if i wanted vinegar and oil. maybe thats just in the US.

I've never been asked if I want oil and vinegar either. Just salt and pepper.

Well the website says the sweet onion sauce has no animals ingrediant so that good.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

the atkins honey mustard also has no animal ingredients.

So it has no honey?

oh i didnt even think about that lol

i still eat honey but i didnt even think about most vegans not eating it. sorry!

The vinegar and oil they offer is two separate ingredients they shake on the sandwich. I'll have to try the onion sauce.

oh, the atkins sweet as honey mustard dressing doesnt have honey

heres the ingredients:

ATKINS SWEET AS HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING Expeller pressed soybean oil, water, cider vinegar, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans and salt), Dijon mustard, salt, spices, horseradish, xanthan, garlic powder, lemon juice concentrate, tragacanth, vanilla extract, sucralose, spice extract.

and heres the link for the dressing ingredients. the italian does have dairy.

http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...gredients.aspx

foxy does the wheat bother you?

yes. i dont eat anything with gluten normally, but a couple of times a year ill eat sumthing with it. like subway.

I guess if we are going to eat the bread, why worry about the sauce! LOL! It was a silly question.

ConsciousCuisine

Red face

[QUOTE=foxytina_69]
    ATKINS SWEET AS HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING Expeller pressed soybean oil, water, cider vinegar, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans and salt), Dijon mustard, salt, spices, horseradish, xanthan, garlic powder, lemon juice concentrate, tragacanth, vanilla extract, sucralose, spice extract.

QUOTE]

Foxy, Sucralose is eeeeeeevil....

why? ohwell its rare that i eat subway!

Quote foxytina_69
    Drats! Thanks for the link, Foxy.

-JK

ohwell, atleast we can have sweet onion sauce

Default Subway Vegie patie NOT vegie

[SIZE=3]i was once ages ago at subway and i orded a vegie pattie 6inch sub.
    i was pulled aside buy the girl and sked if i was "real" vego and i said "hell yes!" nd she told me NOT to eat it cos it is full of animal fats! b4 that i asked them if it was ok for vegetarians and they said yep its 100% ok. i was mad to realse i was eating the thing i was fighting for!
    just becareful, yes i dont have a website to back this up but this girl didnt have to tell me and hr butt was in the firing line if anyone found out she told me cos its "bad for bissness"

also hungry jacks is the same, my sisters frind worked there snd he toldme that thay have thesame thing ANIMAL FATS ect in there burgers too
    thanx for listning jut thought you would want to know.
    [/SIZE
    ]
    If i cant kill it i WONT eat it, If i cant look into its eyes and hurt it, I wont take from it.

ive ordered these alot, thinking they were vegan until i finally found out they werent. they contain eggs. i called them myself and asked them what the ingredients were, and they freely told me so thats odd that she acted like it was a secret. burger king veggie burgers contain eggs also. alot of veggie burgers contain dairy or eggs.

They have veggie patties at subway? I never knew that.

I know they have veggie subs...I always thought the whole wheat bread would be better because it would the logical vegan choice since I know of a lot of store white breads that were loaded with milk powder. But I went to the subway website, and they said their white bread was the one without animal ingredients and that the whole wheat has honey.

Grrr. Good thing I only ate it once since becoming vegan.

Default !

Quote Tigerlily
    But I went to the subway website, and they said their white bread was the one without animal ingredients and that the whole wheat has honey.
    Thanks for that information! I try and stay away from white breads, so i also would have the wheat.

Default Re: SubWay

I love to get mine filled with spinach-the ones in my area have spinach now for salads and I have them put a ton of my sub, along with cumcumber, tomatoes, black olives and oil & vinegar. I bring it home and then put some vegan cream cheese on it. Yummers!

I've been wondering about Jimmy John's as one has opened up near me. Good to know. I also love the spinach on the subways! That and the sweet onion salad dressing. I think I make them use every type of veggie they offer in mine...except the iceberg lettuce.

does subway not make their break with eggs?

In Canada and the USA, the only bread that is vegan is the Italian bread (ie, the plain white one). The Sweet Onion dressing is also vegan.

I can't find any information on the Subway UK website about which products are vegan in the UK. But you could have a look here and write to them with any questions you have.

Yogini

Quote lozza
    even thats not safe now, as the wheat bread has honey in it. WTF. thats weird!!
    I've had a real hard time finding wheat bread without honey in it. It's extremely frustrating. Pretty much every loaf of bread I pick up and read the package of has either corn syrup or honey in it - these are totally unnecessary. I pretty much gave up on bread and have been using Alvarado St. Bakery sprouted wheat bagels instead.

Maybe I'll buy a bread maker the next time I get a little extra money.

Talking Re: SubWay

i pretty much avoid breads other than eziekel, because of the honey or other unnessisary stuff they put in.

but i do LOVE those alvarado st. sprouted wheat bagels!!! i make sandwiches out of them at work... yummm!

ive heard from a vegan friend who works at jimmy johns that NOTHING is vegan there. even the veggies. im not sure if they use a preservative or what, but i dont trust them anymore. plus why the hell would you add milk to guacamole!!!?!?!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I'm stil learning about animal-derived ingredients, so maybe someone can help me? I was looking at the ingredients list at Subway to see if their bread was truly animal-free, and it says that in the dough conditioner, there is acetyalted tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides. I thought that the glycerides came from glycerin, and glycerin was a byproduct of animal fat. Unless it states that it's a vegetable glycerin, doesn't it come from an animal?

http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...gredients.aspx

not all mono & diglycerides are of animal origin.

on many loaves of brown bread, these are 2 common ingredients, and most are labelled "suitable for vegetarians & vegans" - brands like hovis, kingsmill etc.

Quote jjdaiquiri
    ive heard from a vegan friend who works at jimmy johns that NOTHING is vegan there. even the veggies. im not sure if they use a preservative or what, but i dont trust them anymore. plus why the hell would you add milk to guacamole!!!?!?!
    Is your friend a stoner?? Cause we have this theory at my work that everyone in Jimmy John's is a stoner - they screw up our order everytime and we FAX it over! They are very nice, but not very - uh - "with it".

I am not sure if the bread is vegan there, but I had a sandwhich there as a vegetarian and it had a pound of cheese and not many veggies.

I do like the pickles though, surely they are vegan?

Okay, I've been convinced that Subway's Italian bread is vegan, so I go there sometimes now. I get the footlong veggie with lettuce, onion, pickles, banana peppers (LOVE these!) mustard, salt and pepper, vinegar and oil. If I take it home, I spread some of my veganaise on it. DELISH

your friend a stoner?? Cause we have this theory at my work that everyone in Jimmy John's is a stoner - they screw up our order everytime and we FAX it over! They are very nice, but not very - uh - "with it
    OUr work as the same thing with Jimmy Johns! I never order from there, but when other people in my department get it, they almost always mess something up. They are are super fast though, the stoner delivery kid is there within 10 minutes of you placing your order usually. Unlike other places that are 45 minutes at least.

I can't believe honey is commonly put in bread. I've never seen it. Honey is really expensive in Australia.

VeganJohn

When I was in the States recently it was a nightmare finding vegan bread. I really feel for you guys in the US

its quite esy to find vegan bread in the uk. most brands of bread are. people often say to me "can you eat bread? has it not got milk in it?!"

its amazing how many people think bread is made with milk.

Quote insubordination
    I can't believe honey is commonly put in bread. I've never seen it. Honey is really expensive in Australia.
    Honey is fairly cheap here. A bottle of clover honey in maybe a dollar something. That is probably the kind that is in wheat bread. And it is in ALL wheat bread just about. Infact, wheat bread is usually called, Honey Wheat.

Clover honey is the light sickly sweet kind. darker wildflower honey and ones made from different flowers are sometimes more expensive, but none of it is outragreous or anything.

Maple syrup is far better, and vegan.

sugarmouse

Quote lozza

its amazing how many people think bread is made with milk.
    LolI get asked things like that 2! i thought it was common knowledge how bread was made...and that unless its containing different ingredients to normal,that itwil be vegan.
    my mother said a classic a couple of months ago.,when she was visiting and asked me was i hungry.

Me:no im not really,I just had a sandwich.
    Mother 'Really?!omigod really?!
    Me 'Yes, why were you wanting to go out to eat?
    Mother 'but you, had a sandwich?! did you put bread in it?!

its one of those comments thats so dumb even sarcastic replies would not work.

I just sent this to Subway's customer service:

I would like to request a mayonnaise alternative. I am a vegan, I do not consume any animal products, including dairy. I am a big fan of Subway's Veggie Delight sandwich, but it's frustrating having to take my sandwich home and add my own mayonnaise. There is a way to produce eggless mayonnaise, without compromising on taste. The mayonnaise that I use is made by a company called Follow Your Heart, and the ingredients they use are as follows:
    Canola oil, purified water, apple cider vinegar, brown rice syrup, soy protein, sea salt, lemon juice, mustard
    No egg products. I don't know exactly what the purpose of having eggs in mayonnaise is, but having been a non-vegan for most of my life, I can assure you that the eggless mayonnaise is just as delicious as conventional mayo, if not even better. I urge you to try different recipes of eggless mayo, and put it in a test market to see how people like it. I know it would certainly be nice to have more condiment options at Subway.

Cool! Thanks for doing that Sarahblue. It'll be interesting to see what their reply to you is like.