Thread: Protein shake mixes?

Default Protein shake mixes?

I've got a 32 OZ container of soy protein but whenever I try to make a shake out of it, it is vomit inducing. Anyone have some yummy protein shake recipes? Ideally there would be at least 15-20g of protein per cup of liquid.
    Thankies

Default Re: Protein shake mixes?

ugh I have vanilla soy protein powder and it's so hard to get down. I usually mix 2 scoops (25 g pro) with a banana, LOTS of frozen berries. It's still not that good, though.

I love soy protein shakes.
    I'd have more if it didn't end up being relatively expensive. Send me your vegan protein powder and I'll eat it up!

My recipes are all similar:

3/4 gallon of soymilk.
    2 large scoops of protein powder
    2 large scoops of sugar or syrup (usually maple)
    2-3 old overrripe bananas
    berries if available.

I occasionally drink the entire 1/2 gallon myself or more frequently share it with family over dinner... and then have to make myself another delicous shake because I didn't get enough. Yum!
    context is everything

Default Vegan Protein Shake

My hubby and I are gearing up to do an intensive 90 day exercise program. It came with a diet plan which had vegetarin options, but not vegan options. The first few weeks I need to eat high protein. I don't do well with a ton of soy in my diet, and I was wondering if anyone has a good vegan protein shake they'd reccommend that won't break the bank and isn't completely soy based?? I need it to be high protein, low carb, and preferably a complete meal replacement.

Any advice for a newbie body builder wanting to stay vegan would be great too. I'm finding that a lot of my protein sources are deemed fats (nuts, seeds, etc) or carbs (whole grains and lentils and beans, etc) which I need to limit.

Default Re: Vegan Protein Shake

I use Pure Advantage Pea Protein and Pure Advantage Vegan Complete. The Complete is a little tough taste-wise, so I use a mixture of the two.

Both can be found at Vitacost: http://www.vitacost.com/

Here's a list of vegan supplements from VeganStrength.org: http://www.veganstrength.org/article...h-supplements/

If you don't mind my asking, what program are you doing? P90X? STS?

Quote Veg4Life View Post
    My hubby and I are gearing up to do an intensive 90 day exercise program. It came with a diet plan which had vegetarin options, but not vegan options. The first few weeks I need to eat high protein. I don't do well with a ton of soy in my diet, and I was wondering if anyone has a good vegan protein shake they'd reccommend that won't break the bank and isn't completely soy based?? I need it to be high protein, low carb, and preferably a complete meal replacement.

Any advice for a newbie body builder wanting to stay vegan would be great too. I'm finding that a lot of my protein sources are deemed fats (nuts, seeds, etc) or carbs (whole grains and lentils and beans, etc) which I need to limit.
    vegan fitness has loads of recipes for high protein shakes bars etc:smile:
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

After a work out I do a banana, hemp protein powders, ground flax seeds, soy (or rice) milk, and cocoa powder into a blender and it makes a delicious chocolate shake. Mmmm...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Slowly I Awake View Post
    I use Pure Advantage Pea Protein and Pure Advantage Vegan Complete. The Complete is a little tough taste-wise, so I use a mixture of the two.

Both can be found at Vitacost: http://www.vitacost.com/

Here's a list of vegan supplements from VeganStrength.org: http://www.veganstrength.org/article...h-supplements/

If you don't mind my asking, what program are you doing? P90X? STS?
    Yes, we are doing P90X. We are excited about it, but I'm a little hesitant with the diet plan. Anything that limits fruits to one serving a day and carbs to 1 serving a day while raising protein to 7-10 servings has me a little apprehensive. BUT, as much as I've learned about diet and nutrition, I know little about weight loss, so I plan to follow their diet guidelines as best as I can. It's only 90 days...then I can see what works for, what doesn't etc.

Thanks for the site reccommendations everyone. I'll check them out and see if they will work for my objectives. I'd love to just make my own shake/bars- but nuts and fruit and seeds are so limited...it's kind of frustrating.

Be sure and keep track of your progress. It'll be interesting to see how your body responds.

I have discovered that most people find the diet aspect, any diet, the most frustrating when really trying to change body composition. Everyone messes with the macronutrients and the timing, you read what others do and get 20 different answers ~ it can make a person a little nutty. My online fitness buddies go back and forth about this all the time, and they've been working out for years. We all wish there was a magic program that worked for everybody!

Honestly, the P90X program looks like a neat program that will probably be a good shock for your body. I bet you could get away with doing the program alone and simply eating clean, not bothering to follow their nutrition plan to the letter (as in, you can have more than 1 serving of fruit per day). Then, if and when your progress stalls, you can gradually introduce his specific diet tips to further shake things up.

Good luck and have fun! Let me know how you like it too, if you have the time. I'm doing STS and absolutely love it. A few of my fellow Cathletes (as we like to call ourselves) have P90X too and seem to enjoy it. I hear Tony has a great sense of humor.

Zero

Quote Veg4Life View Post
    Anything that limits fruits to one serving a day and carbs to 1 serving a day while raising protein to 7-10 servings has me a little apprehensive.
    I'd be apprehensive too, I don't really know a lot about nutritional side of "P90X" but that right there sounds horrible to me. Overloading your body with protein isn't a good thing and plans such as this simply shock the body and cause a short term weight loss solution, after which if you simply revert to your old eating habbits; you return to the weight you were previously (and likely with less muscle than you had previous).

If your aim is weight loss and fitness; the healthiest way to do it is to engage in an exercise program and eat a healthy, balanced diet, if you want to make sure you have enough protein for muscile building generally you only need 5 - 10% more protein in your diet. If are looking to lose weight then perhaps look to do it in a way that is sustainable rather than a "crash course" exercise and look into lowering your caloric intake

It's great that you are going to challenge yourself with the exercise program, but if I were you I would steer clear of their nutritional advice.

Perhaps have a read of these articles:

High Protein diets: http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-pr...ohydrate-diets

Lowering calories to lose weight: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/lose...o-do-it-safely

Protein requirements to build muscle: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...-muscle-faster

Hope you find that useful and I wish you well with what you want to acheive

Have you heard of the "80/10/10 Diet" By Doug Graham?

check out- http://foodnsport.com/

I've never heard of PNOX?! but high protein diets are very unhealthy, protein shouldn't be more than 10% of your daily calorofic intake,

:smile:

Few seem to agree on the necessary level of protein for strength training. I agree that excessive amounts aren't healthy. I've seen recommendations for 1+ gram per pound, tried it, and ended up with what I think was a kidney stone. (You can only push so much water.)

I found this interview with a vegan strength trainer helpful: Jon Hinds

"How much protein should an athlete get a day?
    I recommend about .7 per kilogram to 1 gram per kilogram is good for maintaining to gaining muscle respectively."

He also talks about how when he first went vegan, he stopped paying attention to his protein intake, and his performance suffered. I don't know if his daily caloric intake changed drastically, which could have been the culprit, but given his profession, I would think he'd take that into account.

I'm currently doing what he suggests, .7 to 1 gram per kilo, and I feel great. I once tried lowering my total intake to 12% or so (still strength training, keeping my total calories the same) and didn't feel well at all. To be fair though, I did that only once, and not for a long enough time, so I can't be sure it was the lowered protein intake and not something else...like a virus. I may try experimenting again at a later date.

Initially, I think calories in vs. calories out makes the biggest difference in terms of weight loss specifically. If one is carrying a little extra padding, it's best to log in your daily calories (Fitday), see how much you're taking in, and cut that number slightly ~ not TOO low ~ to create a safe calorie deficit. Playing with macronutrients and seeing how your muscles respond can come later.

I very much agree with Zero; I truly believe any diet and exercise change has to be healthy and one you enjoy and stick to long-term.

Have you seen the website Vegan Fitness? Lots of lovely and very knowledgeable people over there.

http://www.veganfitness.net/

Vegan Fitness is where I found Vegan Strength. Some more helpful info here:
    Vegan Bodybuilding

(With all this to read, you do run the risk of suffering from a wicked case of Analysis Paralysis. Ha.)

Quote Sunkist View Post
    Have you heard of the "80/10/10 Diet" By Doug Graham?

check out- http://foodnsport.com/

I've never heard of PNOX?! but high protein diets are very unhealthy, protein shouldn't be more than 10% of your daily calorofic intake,

:smile:
    Thanks for reminding me about this book. I wanted to get it for a while but forgot about it. I just ordered it.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I would also question a diet which has such a low amount of fruit and vegetables - where are you meant to get the nutrients that you would normally get from these during this period? I would also question the reason for such a high intake of protein - what is the reasoning behind this and is it scientifically acurate?
    Its great to be motivated to start on a new exercise program, but generally slow and steady change is better at changing old habits permanently.
    I have personaly been weight training and vegan for around 20 years and pay very little attention to my protein intake but still manage to build muscle and strength.

Quote cookey View Post
    I have personaly been weight training and vegan for around 20 years and pay very little attention to my protein intake but still manage to build muscle and strength.
    Do you have an idea of how much you take in though? Have you experimented at all? Are you happy with your progress? (My apologies for all the questions. I don't meet many people who weight train yet don't pay much attention to their protein consumption.)

Becoming Vegan suggests anywhere from 1 to 2.3 grams per kilogram in body weight, depending on the sport. And as I said before, I follow the recommendation given by Jon Hinds. However, I have no burning desire to eat more protein than necessary, so I'm open to hearing others' experiences.

If I were brave, I'd do one of my self-experiments and lower my protein to 10% of my daily caloric intake. I'm so afraid I'll lose the strength I've worked hard to gain though. I know in my head I can always reverse course and get it back, but still...I'd be bummed!

Edited to add: Sunkist, here's P90X, in case you were curious.

If I were brave, I'd do one of my self-experiments and lower my protein to 10% of my daily caloric intake. I'm so afraid I'll lose the strength I've worked hard to gain though. I know in my head I can always reverse course and get it back, but still...I'd be bummed!
    I'm very curious too. I want to try this 80/10/10 thing but am very into climbing and am afraid to lose the muscle I've built.

Do you have an idea of how much you take in though? Have you experimented at all? Are you happy with your progress? (My apologies for all the questions. I don't meet many people who weight train yet don't pay much attention to their protein consumption.)

The first thing to say is that it is exercise that builds muscle and taking in extra protein by itself will not build extra muscle.
    I first qualified as a fitness instructor 10 years ago and continue to study the subject. I have certainly improved my progress since qualifying because I know better how to train.
    The main thing that has held my progress back has been having to work and be a single parent which has meant I havn't been able to train as much as I'd like to. As the children get older I am more able to train when I want, plus have found a gym with good equipment. So I am hoping that I am entering a time when I will be able to make the most strength gains, despite now being in my late 30s.
    I am confident that I get enough protein because I eat lentils, oats, rice, seeds, nuts, tvp etc all of which contain protein.

Thank you for the reply. I agree that extra protein alone won't do much. Obviously one needs to actually exercise.

I guess my question is what is "enough". I'd be curious to see what percentage of your daily intake is protein. I'm currently at 16%.

Zero

Just curious, if you are comfortable at the level of protein you are consuming and getting results then why change it? I hardly think being at around 16% of your caloric intake is going to be harmful in the grand scheme of things

I'm always questioning things, looking to see if I can do better, hoping to avoid doing something potentially harmful down the road. I agree that 16% is not very controversial, but I've read so many conflicting opinions on this that I cannot help but wonder. You have to admit ~ advice that ranges from 1 gram of protein per kilo to 1+ gram per pound is quite a difference.

I'm not interested in body building specifically, but I do love getting stronger, training safely, and seeing some new definition. I put a lot of effort into my workouts and want to make the most of my time.

Lastly, "tweaking" is fun.

The advice I've seen actually suggests 0.6 -0.8 grams per kilo of body weight and when I've checked my rough in take in the past its been either that or above.
    I do not know the percentage of my food that is protein.
    I understand that some people feel they need to know the exact amounts of nutrients to feel comfortable that they are getting the right amount. Personally I feel comfortable that I am eating the right food without the need to do this. But this is based on 20 years of veganism and 37 years of life expereince. This includes 2 healthy pregnancies where I was vegan and weight trained throughout and produced two healthy babies at home with no complications and got up off the floor and walked to the bathroom just after! What better proof that my body was getting what it needed?

I don't think that nutrition is an exact science and I think that different things may work for different people as they have evolved in different circumstances - food available, climate etc.

Thank you for sharing, Cookey. I have 2 kids as well and worked out right up to the day of delivery with both. It's always fun to meet others of the same mind.

is hemp protein bitty? I tried a shake with soya isolate protein and it was bitty and the aftertaste was rubbish. Wondered if the hemp was better. Was almost like there was flour in the mix and you could feel the little grains in your mouth. bleurgh.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

I don't mind hemp protien but I met a girl that didn't like it at all. I don't notice an aftertaste and the texture is ok. I mean, protien powder is never great.

I wish I could offer an opinion, but I haven't tried a hemp-based protein shake. I only have hemp seeds to grind and add to stuff.

Pure Advantage's Pea protein is pretty good, especially if you add fruit.

Or you could just eat things that taste nice and have protein in.

Quote cookey View Post
    Or you could just eat things that taste nice and have protein in.

As a vegan it's difficult to stay within calorie limit and eat the right amt of protein for body building.

Zero

That is not really true, eating any diet and trying to consume excessive amounts of protein can cause you exceed the recommended caloric intake, many sports nutritionists state that 2.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight is absolute maximum you should consume.

Even this is excessive though, if you weight 180 pounds and start weight training toward body building, how in the world is 360 grams of protein per day a healthy limit? People consuming that must be not only heavily dehydrated a lot but on the verge of metabolic acidosis which may cause problems with the kidneys, something which goes undiagnosed in 20% of people for a long period of time if it gets diagnosed at all.

Lifting weights is what builds healthy muscle and protein helps repair and rebuild it, you don't need to be eat way beyond RDI's, especially considering that most people who weight train or say that they are "body building" aren't really training 5 or 6 days per week in the gym, and furthermore many who are training almost everyday of the week are usually over training and not seeing the results because they are spending too much time in the gym and not enough time recovering, additional protein won't fix that.

It's similar to the number of times I've seen my fellow half marathon and marathon runners do all of their training in a bulk block a month before the race, too much training and not enough recovery, then they don't see any results and achieve a poor time on the day.

Shorter intensive weight lifting, adequate rest and eating a healthy diet is key to muscle advancement. This is something that I've seen first hand with my recent weight training, I started training smarter and the point of failure thanks to some good advice.

This article points out some of these issues.
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/gary-matthews/bodybuilding-supplements.htm

If more bodybuilders started using more infrequent, short, high intensity weight training sessions, followed by the required amount of time to recover and become stronger...
    Many people who live in the west probably consume protein surplus to requirements given the abundance. Otherwise how do you explain workers in parts of China who consume mainly rice and vegetables and carry out heavy manual labour?

With a healthy balanced vegan diet it is easy to get more than enough protein, many people probably eat too many "empty" calories and then try to make up for a bad diet with supplementation.

See the table on this page for protein amounts on a vegan diet.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

boatsteem1

Although it's based around soy, a really simple vegan protein milk shake I do is:
    1 banana
    1 pear
    3-5 deciliters of water
    1-2 table spoons of sugar
    1-2 deciliters of soya flour

Put it in a blender and run it for a minute or two. Simple and delicious.

If you want it to be more like milk shake you then can add a few ice cubes in there, too.

Quote Zero View Post
    That is not really true,
    It is true for me (I presume you were talking to me?). I am trying to maintain a 1500 cal a day diet and eat 110g protein. On a vegan diet it's virtually impossible (taking into account getting a balanced diet with all essential vits/minerals). Please feel free to send me a diet if you know how I can do it without a protein shake. Whereas my omni b/f comes home from the gym and has a salmon fillet and a glass of cow's milk and there's 50-60g protein in one shot!

Sorry haven't had time to read the rest of your post (only first paragraph) - will do later.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    As a vegan it's difficult to stay within calorie limit and eat the right amt of protein for body building.
    I can see that. I know of one competitive figure athlete who keeps her total intake low but wants X amount of protein each day. Protein shakes help her achieve this.

Obviously, people don't agree on what "X amount" is. Then if you throw a strict, body builder's competition diet into the discussion ~ one that is usually lower in calories ~ the waters get a little muddier.

Fortunately for me, I don't plan on competing (because I really love pizza and cookies ), so I could probably get the proper required protein via whole foods only. I just like the convenience of my shake. I throw in veggies, fruits, seeds, and whiz it all up. Leaves more time for screwing around on internet forums.
    Last edited by Slowly I Awake; Oct 1st, 2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: I'm typing-challenged today.

Zero

Quote Daffodil View Post
    It is true for me (I presume you were talking to me?). I am trying to maintain a 1500 cal a day diet and eat 110g protein.
    Fair enough, but what you were actually talking about was your diet however you made a comment about the vegan diet in general. Sorry if that sounds picky but there is enough false information about vegans and protein around therefore how our message is presented is important IMO

Quote Daffodil View Post
    Whereas my omni b/f comes home from the gym and has a salmon fillet and a glass of cow's milk and there's 50-60g protein in one shot!
    100g of Salmon contains 22g of protein, 206 kcal's
    100g of Tofu contains 17g of protein, 271 kcal's
    1 cup (244g) of Whole Cows Milk contains 8g of protein (a glass is perhaps slightly more), 146 kcal's
    1 cup (243g) of Regular Soy Milk contains 6g of protein, 100 kcal's

That isn't far out (omni to vegan diet) according to nutitiondata.com (I'm not sure where you got that figure above from but it seems too high)

1 ounce of Soy protein isolate is around 23g of protein in 95 calories so I can see why you do it. However I don't think that you need the amount of protein you are aiming at, but if that's what you want to do, well fair enough, it's not like you are aiming at 300g per day!

I think the key thing is to eat a healthy varied and balanced diet, remember this conversation started after Veg4Life she wanted to go to one portion of fruit per day and 7-10 servings of protein.
    Last edited by Zero; Oct 2nd, 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Default Protein shake recipes

Hi there,

I have ordered some hemp protein for the first time and wondered if anyone had any good recipes to make shakes with it? (I'm also thinking of trying pea protein so any recipes for that would be great too).

Many thanks
    Last edited by MooCow; Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

Sorry I´m new to the site and have posted this in the wrong place, I can´t seem to delete the post though?
    Don't worry, I've moved it for you (and merged with a couple of similar threads). Good luck – and don't forget that in case you have special needs, you don't need protein shakes! Just like other mammals, we get the proteins we need from plants - as long as we eat a balanced and varied diet!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I've just bought some pea protein to add to smoothies etc. The first one I tried didn't taste very nice. I made another one this morning that I liked that was: 1 banana, a table spoon of raw cocao powder, a table spoon of pea protein powder and a tea spoon of maca powder mixed with maybe 0.5L of soya milk. I shared it with my GF, she said it was a bit powdery but I liked it.
    I'm just trying to up my protein a bit as I'm doing quite a lot of climbing training and hoping to improve my arm strength. I haven't really looked into how much protien I need etc. just having a go