Thread: Ethical Question: Vegan Butcher?

stacey

Default Ethical Question: Vegan Butcher?

Hi all,

I came across this link from a local paper in CA about a guy who's been vegan for five years and works in the meat department of his local co-op educating consumers and selling natural and free-range meats.

Question is, how do you feel about the ethics of a vegan working in a meat department with the intent to decrease consumption and increase education.

Can a vegan work in the eye of the storm as an activist interacting directly with the consumers and attempting to alter their behavior?

http://www.theunion.com/article/20070813/NEWS/108130133

Stacey

Default Re: Ethical Question: Vegan Butcher?

I wouldn't know if it makes a difference or not--I'm vegan already.

When I first went vegan I was involved in the animal flesh trade. I never tried to convert anyone. I just accepted that I was being a hypocrite and admitted it to people. Whatever this guy does is his business I suppose, and I could think of plenty of ways to rationalize it if I had to.

cobweb

i think it's plain weird

I think looking at the 'bigger picture' this is really interesting. On an individual level it's a bit wierd, as handling meat would be to most vegans! But, I think it is important to consider veganism within context - that of a primarily meat-eating culture, and I would be very impressed at any difference this guy made.

That's insane - i would hand in my notice even if it meant being unemployed....imagine handling dead animals all day - nooooooo It would be like having a job as a torturer but telling everyone you were really a pacifist WTF!
    Silent but deadly :p

I think this man is doing a worthwhile job in as much as he's is trying to educate people to eat less meat, but as far as I'm concerned he's not a vegan. He eats a vegan diet but a vegan wouldn't make his/her living from dead animals as he does. From the article it looks as though he has a vegan diet for heath and environmental reasons and to a degree animal welfare reasons, but no mention of animal rights reasons.

LGBunny

I think it is a bit like an activist working in a lab to care for the animals and try and get information out about the conditions and the pointless experiments so the general public are better informed about what is going on. I couldn't do it, but I guess people do. Bigger picture and all that.

I agree LGBunny. Also like the people who go undercover in the slaughterhouses to get video footage. I think these are very strong people who can really making a difference. I couldn't do it either cause I'm a big wimp when it comes to animal suffering. It would be hard to remain undercover when you're constantly in tears lol.

I think the people who go under cover in slaughterhouses and vivisection labs should be given medals for bravery. I know I couldn't do it. I'd cry or have to restrain myself from hitting out at the people hurting the animals.
    Working as a butcher and being vegan is a slightly different thing. You may be talking to them and advising them to eat free range etc but at the end of the day they are still comming to you to buy dead animals and as a vegan isn't that something you want to stop altogether? They would be better working with fruit and veg and giving people great ideas about what to do with it...instead of just having it as a side to meat. I believe great vegan food is the way to any omnis heart!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

maybe by working close-up with meat this person has come to know things about the industry that consumers don't know about, so that might be the reason he chooses not to eat the stuff...not ethical considerations, maybe hygiene or stuff like that
    Piggy

cobweb

i really cannot compare someone doing undercover work in a lab or slaughterhouse (and, yes, imo they deserve a medal) to a 'vegan' who chooses to continue working with corpses, making a living out of other people eating innocent animals
    Last edited by cobweb; Sep 1st, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: said 'lad' instead of lab - dyslexia setting in, or premature senility!

I agree cobweb.

From the article it seems that he's in it more for animal welfare than animal rights and if that's his goal, I think he has the chance to make a difference. I agree that I was probably too hasty in comparing him to those who go undercover, it's definitely not the same degree of activism. But I do believe that what he's doing is a form of activism for him. I don't think he's just making money from the meat industry while trying to be vegan.

stacey

I've thought about it further and I would guess that someone who is on an entirely plant based diet but working within and possibly supporting the meat industry whether intentionally or not is probably not fully vegan.

Stacey