Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Lemonade Diet

Default The Lemonade Diet

Has anyone ever tried it? It is also called the Master Cleanse.

What it is, is you drink the Lemonade which is a mixture of fresh lemon cayenne pepper and maple syrup. Anyways you drink this mixture for about 10 days along with an herbal tea laxitive or a salt solution (The laxtive tea or salt solution you only drink once a morning and then again in the evening). You don't eat at all or put anything else weird in your body such as smoking or liquor but you can drink more water.

What it is supposed to do is cleanse your body of all toxins, and I guess some people lose a little weight too. You would proably get more information searching on the internet yourself by just searching for the Lemonade diet.

ANYWAYSSS the point of this thread was I wanted to know if anyone has tried it or what they think about it cause I want to try it...I just have to wait untill a certain time of the month is over....hehe

Let me kno!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Default Re: The Lemonade Diet

I haven't tried it but it sounds like an incredibly bad idea to me, very unhealthy.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I agree with Risker. It sounds deficient of many essential nutrients and also like another fad.

Windfall

wasnt that the diet Beyonce used to get in shape for Dreamgirls?
    I remember reading aout it. But seriously, sounds bad, even if you look good on the outside, think about your blood, bones and all the nutrients you will miss out on - get that gym card instead lol

you know I thought that at first too and I don't think that I would do the salt water flush, but after researching it more and more it doesn't seem like it would be that bad. Especially after constantly hearing the benefits of fasting and such. There are also tons of blogs and things out there with people expierences and they say that it helps make them feel better and fix a lot of common illinesses.

I don't know...It was just a thought...

I wasn't planing on doing it to lose weight cause I am fine at the weight that I am at, and besides once you get off it you gain most of the weight back, I was thinking about it because of the benefits.

Windfall

do you have any links at all, im intrigued! lol

http://www.lifetrainingonline.com/bl...iet-recipe.htm This is one that a girl wrote it speaks of the positives and negatives (I wouldn't want to give one that is biased!) Here is one that is off a raw food site http://www.therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm I still think I will try it but now you guys got me worried.

Can I add the wikipedia article on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse

I find the mention of a placebo effect particularly interesting as I think people are particularly prone to placebo effect with regards to diet. I often see posts on here from people mentioning changes to do with becoming vegan that I often put down to placebo.

Windfall

im curious now too

I do agree with you risker, I didn't think about that. I didn''t feel any different when I switched to Veganism....

missbettie, i am an avid believer in the benefits of fasting. i do it often whenever i get sick with something and i heal in days rather than weeks. its natural to fast. for example, look at all the animals who naturally stop eating whilst sick.

i dont think its bad for you, or you miss out on nutrients etc, as youre only doing it for a short period of time. its natural to fast, and its always very spiritual for me also. fasting is a huge part of my life, i do it at least once a month or two months. as long as i pay attention to my eating habits whilst not fasting, im fine the rest of the time. its very cleansing for your body AND mind and it also helps people who have bad eating habits (it helps you to go back to healthy eating, it sort of retrains your thoughts on food and what you want to eat)

ive definitely done a lot of research on the master cleanse, and while i believe many people have benefited from it, i am curious as to wether it is the laxative and liver cleansing properties of the salt water and lemon juice, rather than the maple syrup. i dont think maple syrup in this quantity is good for you, and i think its bad for your blood sugar level, and youre consuming about 1600 calories a day in just sugar from the master cleanse. i prefer a lighter cleaner cleanse where my body really is rid of impurities, such as sugar. i usually use good quality juices that have lots of vitamins/minerals, and lots of herbal teas (caffeine free obviously) and lots of lemon water (water with lemon juice added)

i always feel 100% after a cleanse. if i didnt do fasts, i would be a helluva lot sicker than i already am. it really helps my health.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I think I will try it Windfall I think it might help me restart with eating better...

you will notice an intense radiance in yourself whilst and after fasting. your skin and hair and everything just glows. its a really good time for deep meditaton and learning, as the buddha. when your body is free of food and other things, it feels like your natural serenity levels are intensely spiked, and you become very quiet and spiritual. its great.

thanks Tina! I think I am going to try it. I havn't really heard to much about it that makes me not want to do it. People just seem so happy when they do it!

I really don't agree foxytina, not eating because you are ill and unable to is not the same as not eating when you are active and need the calories and vitamins to continue your normal life.

Like I said before, I think some people do have positive experiences from such diets, however, I put this down to placebo.

risker, thats okay. people dont have to agree with me but they would if they tried it for a long enough period of time to reap the benefits

i did it for fourteen days this spring!

it was great! i never felt hungry, tired, or lacking in anything!

although at day twelve i started to gag at the taste of maple syrup and cayenne... :P

but i stuck it out till i was good and detoxed!

oh, and i did it with half maple syrup and half blackstrap molasses...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

oh, and i didnt loose much weight at all! (not that that was what i was aiming for)

maybe five pounds. thats it!

my freind is coming back from thailand soon and shes going to be starting it again, and i told her id join her, so if you'd like to do it with us, miss bettie, its better when theres moral support!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Actually it's very healthy. The Grade B maple syrup provides most of your nutrients. My manager does it 2-3 times a year.

It is not a diet, IT IS A FAST.

I've had to become a freakin' expert on it as I work in a health food store. :P

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    ive definitely done a lot of research on the master cleanse, and while i believe many people have benefited from it, i am curious as to wether it is the laxative and liver cleansing properties of the salt water and lemon juice, rather than the maple syrup. i dont think maple syrup in this quantity is good for you, and i think its bad for your blood sugar level, and youre consuming about 1600 calories a day in just sugar from the master cleanse.
    Grade B maple syrup is more like molasses. It is full of decent amounts of almost every vitamin and mineral you need daily, that's why it's used as nutritional support. The lemon and cayenne pepper simply keep the metabolism and digestive processes going so your body can clean itself out. None of the ingredients have any detox properties, it's just the fast that does it. It's just a more supportive way rather than just a water or juice fast, so you can stay on it longer.

i agree with snivelingchild as she said above

plus, the drink is drank over the course of the whole day.

it keeps your bloodsugar at a constant.

i did a 25 mile bike ride on the eighth day of my last cleanse... ( i know, probably not the most brilliant idea) but was incredibly surprized at my energy and stamina.

i never once felt a sugar rush or low from drinking it.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    i did a 25 mile bike ride on the eighth day of my last cleanse
    Wow, you're my hero. I'm too chicken to do a real cleanse, so this week I'm doing a baby cleanse with concentrated greens supplement and fruit and veggie juices. I didn't want to risk losing energy when I'm just starting up a rough physical schedule.

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Wow, you're my hero. I'm too chicken to do a real cleanse, so this week I'm doing a baby cleanse with concentrated greens supplement and fruit and veggie juices. I didn't want to risk losing energy when I'm just starting up a rough physical schedule.

the wierdest thing about cleansing like this is that you want to chew things.

i wasnt hungry, so i didnt want to eat, but i had a very strange desire just to put things in my mouth and chew.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post

my freind is coming back from thailand soon and shes going to be starting it again, and i told her id join her, so if you'd like to do it with us, miss bettie, its better when theres moral support!
    Crazy Californians

I'd like to try a fast but I simply don't think I'd have the will power.

Mahk

Grade B maple syrup is more like molasses. It is full of decent amounts of almost every vitamin and mineral you need daily, that's why it's used as nutritional support.
    A decent amount?! I beg to differ. Although "Grade B" is collected from the trees later in the season, I don't see how it could possibly be much different than the general nutritional breakdown of just plain old "maple syrup":

Vitamins
    Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
    Vitamin A 0.0 IU 0%
    Retinol 0.0 mcg
    Retinol Activity Equivalent 0.0 mcg
    Alpha Carotene 0.0 mcg
    Beta Carotene 0.0 mcg
    Beta Cryptoxanthin 0.0 mcg
    Lycopene 0.0 mcg
    Lutein+Zeaxanthin 0.0 mcg
    Vitamin C 0.0 mg 0%
    Vitamin D ~ ~
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 0.0 mg 0%
    Beta Tocopherol ~
    Gamma Tocopherol ~
    Delta Tocopherol ~
    Vitamin K 0.0 mcg 0%
    Thiamin 0.0 mg 1%
    Riboflavin 0.0 mg 2%
    Niacin 0.1 mg 0%
    Vitamin B6 0.0 mg 0%
    Folate 0.0 mcg 0%
    Food Folate 0.0 mcg
    Folic Acid 0.0 mcg
    Dietary Folate Equivalents 0.0 mcg
    Vitamin B12 0.0 mcg 0%
    Pantothenic Acid 0.1 mg 1%
    Choline ~
    Betaine ~

The serving size I selected for the above data was for an entire container (one cup) by the way. I'm not sure how much maple syrup this "fast/diet" would have you consume per day but calling maple syrup nutritionally sound is a stretch. It's marginally different than consuming sugar water with a few trace minerals thrown in.

The (very cool) web site: Source.
    As a comparison, here's one cup of calcium fortified soy milk: Here.
    Learn how to read their "nutrient balance indicator" : Here.

As an aside to everyone, I think most of these detox/cleansing regimens are total B*ll Sh*t, if anyone cares, but they are impossible to address scientifically because they cleverly keep all the evil "toxins" invisible, unidentifiable or un-named. The only evidence we are presented with is anecdotal testimonials and infomercials: "I just followed world-famous star/dietitian Beyonce's advice and now I feel better, swim faster, and can see further. Those toxins sure were holding me back! Also I can feel that my chakras are in much better alignment, my aura is brighter, my chi is at an all time high and my biorhythm and astrology charts prove this!"

i disagree that maple syrup is very healthy. i am aware that it has some vitamins/minerals (like i said, ive done extensive research on the master cleanse) but definitely not enough to sustain you healthily, and not in a good form considering its sugar. i would rather do a fresh squeezed juice and greens cleanse. i think those are much more benefical to your body than maple syrup.

and i can see that you didnt get unstable blood sugar levels because youre drinking it constant jj, but i still think its bad to be drinking sugar that way, because in the end thats all it is. but everyone thinks differently. i would rather be on a different cleanse. i wouldnt feel "cleaned out" drinking that much sugar. also, when on a fast and consuming that much sugar its just stored as fat. i wouldnt want that as a cleanse because youre supposed to be cleaning out your system.

but everyones different and everyone will feel differently about consuming that much maple syrup.

thanks everyone for giving me your insight! I love that you called us crazy californians Roxy!!

I decided that I am going to do the fast, I am going to start on monday "hopefully" and go as long as I can max 10 days. If anyone else wants to do it just PM me! So far it is me and Windfall!

on a side note of being a californian an embarressing side note...I did a speech in my speech class last night talking about my cat and instead of saying uh or um every five seconds I said like, I was like doing this...you know like a valley girl...oh god it was horribly embarressing...

You are like you know, like a Crazy Californian Good luck with your like fast thing that you're like doing ok. Ok.

like thanks! lol I swear I am not one of those stupid girls from LA! lol I am from a small town damnit!!! lol

me too!

(well kind of)
    -henry miller

thanks for the imput mahk, but i would like to point out that most of the info i found says:

"Maple Syrup has about the same 50 cal/tbsp as white cane sugar. However, it also contains significant amounts of potassium (35 mg/tbsp), calcium (21 mg/tbsp), small amounts of iron and phosphorus, and trace amounts of B-vitamins. Its sodium content is a low 2 mg/tbsp.

Maple syrup can be declared a good source of 3 essential elements - calcium, iron and thiamin."

and the bottle i just pulled out of my fridge says: calcium8% iorn 8%
    (4 tbsp serving)

i mentioned that when i did my cleansing, i took half maple syrup and half blackstrap molasses. wich nobody can disagree with the nutritional content of that.
    -henry miller

Mahk

Yes indeed JJ, blackstrap molasses nutritionally is vastly superior to maple syrup, even in quantities I can conceivably take each day (say tablespoons).

But as for maple syrup, calling it a "good source" of calcium and iron is true.....if you drink over a quart of it per day! Yikes, thats around 4000 calories of sugar each day with almost zero vitamins and zero protein in order to meet your recommended daily values!.... I wouldn't exactly call that "fasting" either, you'd probably gain weight pretty quickly actually, but I don't believe in the whole concept anyways so what do I know.

Quote Mahk View Post
    As an aside to everyone, I think most of these detox/cleansing regimens are total B*ll Sh*t, if anyone cares, but they are impossible to address scientifically because they cleverly keep all the evil "toxins" invisible, unidentifiable or un-named.
    Cleansing and detoxing is a necessity for life that your body does everyday. Your bowels excrete unnecessary materials that harm your body if they stay in too long. Your skin, liver, and kidneys constantly excrete chemicals that your body needs to get rid of. Especially in the colon, if your diet includes processed foods that are not broken down very well or if (usually due to diet also) your body's digestive enzymes are not being produced enough, there are excess proteins, carbohydrates, and fats that can become built up rather than being excreted properly. When they stay in the colon too long, they can even create pockets, hemmoraging the intestine wall and also lead to colon cancer. In addition to food, most people are exposed to harmful substances in our environment including heavy metals and numerous pollutive substances. My house has old pipes, and I've had symptoms of heavy metal toxicity after my water filter broke.

Cleansing is what your body does already, but fasting or taking blood cleasing herbs help your body do this. Our modern diet in developed countries lead us to having food available multiple times a day, so we are constantly digesting. When forced to forage, cultivate, and hunt for food, there are more occasions where you will stop eating for longer periods of time. This helps your body devote more energy to excreting while resting from digestion and absorbtion. Most animals have a period of non-eating, and I've even read that it is healthy to fast dogs and cats a day a week or so. (Actually, I've found that my cats fast themselves about once in 10 days, even though I feed them.)

Most of the cleansing products out there are pure bull, and so many people do think there are mystery toxins that keep them from losing weight. Not much you can do about that, people are always going to search out stupid answers for a quick fix.

The maple syrup is meant as "nutritional support," but not as a way to replace everything you need. It is simply to supply a bit of energy and trace vitamins and minerals while not taking very much energy to digest. I guess my phrasing was poor.

Mahk

Well put SC. I agree we all need to excrete stuff all the time, 24/7. What I'm not so sure about is that our bodies get overloaded and the only way to cure the overload is to stop virtually all intake of food and allow your bodies to just get rid of the bad stuff without being burdened by other chores such as digestion. I think that's the concept , no? I think our bodies seem to multi-task all these functions pretty well but I can see how if we had an unusual large intake of a baddie, like lead, you'd want to stop that intake immediately!

Did you get your pipes fixed, by the way?....oops,, I didn't mean it that way!

Thanks for being so tolerant of my cynical/skeptical nature.

P.S. Due to our naturally high fiber vegan diet, I think the bad stuff getting trapped in our guts is less likely (but not impossible). Omni's need cleansing a heck of a lot more than us, I'd say.

The maple syrup is meant as "nutritional support," but not as a way to replace everything you need. It is simply to supply a bit of energy and trace vitamins and minerals while not taking very much energy to digest. I guess my phrasing was poor.
    yes but calling maple syrup nutritional support is going out on a limb. its got a little bit of nutrition but greens and fresh juices have a helluva lot more and are much better for you than sugar. im sure it works for some people but i too would call it a placebo effect. sugar is very much a toxin and is very bad for many things, including inflammation, and most people fast to help rid themselves of pain disorders and sugar most definitely does not help that. also, i wasnt trying to imply that you need to get all of your nutrition whilst fasting, but i definitely think it helps your energy levels to get as much as you can and that helps you to fast longer which is more beneficial in the end because that is why people have such a hard time fasting in the first place, because it is very exhausting to do. i personally would want my energy levels sustained by nutrition and vitamins/minerals, rather than sugar. but like i said, everyone is different regarding how they react to different things, and there are different fasts that work for everyone! whatever works for one person might not work for another.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Did you get your pipes fixed, by the way?....oops,, I didn't mean it that way!
    No, but now we just refill jugs with filtered water at a windmill thing. For a while, my symptoms were like fibromyalgia.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Thanks for being so tolerant of my cynical/skeptical nature.

P.S. Due to our naturally high fiber vegan diet, I think the bad stuff getting trapped in our guts is less likely (but not impossible). Omni's need cleansing a heck of a lot more than us, I'd say.
    Yes, mostly a need to clease comes from an exceptionally bad diet. I'd like to at least think that I'm doing well enough without one!

Foxy, I'm not backing up the claims of the diet. I'm actually very against this particular clease and would never do it like this. However, it doesn't produce negative effects and does usually exume a purge. I was just attempting to explain the "logic" of using maple syrup rather than not. It's certainly better than just lemon water and cayenne in my opinion.

i didnt think you were backing up the claims of the cleanse i just dont see any nutritional benefit to sugar and would disagree with you on lemon water alone not being better, as lemon is very cleansing for your liver and a water fast is much more beneficial and healing than one with juices/sugars or anything else. but a water fast is very taxing and difficult and takes a lot of strength to do but the benefits are extreme. its not for everybody, unless youre really experienced with fasting and can handle extreme detoxifying effects! i would love to do a long water fast though. i think it would be really emotionally and spiritually cleansing too!

Yes, but lemon and cayenne alone for an extended period would be far too acidic, yes? I used to use lemon and cayenne (with apple cider vinegar) in the morning to help with digestion and circulation, and if I did not eat for a long time after that, my stomach began to hurt because it gave a boost to the digestive processes.

many people use lemon to cleanse their livers whilst doing a water fast. ive done it several times and its never bothered my stomach. i can see it bothering peoples stomachs if they have weak stomachs. but even i do and its never bothered mine. but like i said, no human is the same, and what works for one person may not work for another. thats why i think everyone needs to try different fasts to see which type will work for them best. (and i wouldnt use cayenne. THAT would hurt my stomach lol)

Windfall

where can i find a laxtive herbal tea? holland&barrett?

Cascara sagrada is a "laxative for a moving experience." It's commonly known to be the "colon blow" of herbal teas.

senna leaf tea is a laxative windfall. i use it along with other types. i get mine at the regular grocery store.

my mom has a laxative tea that she drinks.
    it's called FLORALITE slimming tea.
    i've never tried it, but she says it works for her.
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

This thread is scary.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

why is it scary cattmogg?

Windfall

id love to do this but dont know if i can afford it now!
    how much would 50 lemons cost you? does anyone know? lol

Quote Windfall View Post
    wasnt that the diet Beyonce used to get in shape for Dreamgirls?
    I remember reading aout it. But seriously, sounds bad, even if you look good on the outside, think about your blood, bones and all the nutrients you will miss out on - get that gym card instead lol

Agree!
    Get a gym membership!, google it, all info. is mainly baaaaad!....not good for you to do!

Juics maybe, not lemon diet!

Bringing up an old thread here because I'm going to start the Master Cleanse for 10 days beginning April 7.

I'm very mentally prepared for this. I read the book by Stanley Burroughs, which was written in the 1970s.

I'm now working in a health food store (full time -- I quit my toxic job at the newspaper and I'm soooooooooooo HAPPY) ... and two of my co-workers RAVE about the Master Cleanse.

I can see first hand how radiant these women look. They are always upbeat, positive and in great moods. One woman does the cleanse once a month and says she feels better when she's on the cleanse than when she is off of it.

The book is not biased and says that the cleanse is NOT for everybody.

I'm using my common sense here and if it's not for me, I'll just break the fast.

I don't need to lose weight, so I am very happy to read that the weight comes back.

If I didn't see first hand how people are thriving on this cleanse, I wouldn't consider it, but when you see someone so positive, that's when you say to yourself "I want that for me too!"

The reason I want to do the cleanse is that for 6 years I worked at a newspaper (mostly writing, but other crap too), and the last two years were extremely TOXIC.

I quit March 5 (a Wednesday), started the new job at the health food store the following Monday and while I'm extremely happy, I still feel the aftermath of toxicity from the newspaper job (dealing with negative, nasty people, gossip, two-facers, trouble makers -- it's a wonder any work got done!).

I need to feel like me again: vibrant, happy, glowing ... because as of now I'm tired, achey (no more headaches though -- that healed immediately after I quit!) and always an urgency to get to bed. Sunday I slept 10 hours! Normally I sleep 5 to 7. (And it's not due to becoming a vegan either because I felt terrific since I started last September-- until one day my editor took a shit fit on me, screaming for 35 minutes non-stop -- that was February ... I haven't felt right since).

So I think a cleanse will be best for me. If not, then I'll leave it up to old Father Time to heal me (as time heals all wounds). And he will since I'm so ecstatic over my new job!

Our store is having a lecture on April 6, so the following day I'm starting. And I have my boyfriend doing the cleanse with me for support.