Default Chocolate Pudding

Jennifer Raymond recipe

Serves 4

1 1/2 c. soy or rice milk
    3 T. cornstarch or arrowroot
    1/4 c. cocoa powder
    1/3 c. maple syrup
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk all ingredients together in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding has thickened. Pour into individual serving dishes and chill for at least 1 hour.

Okay - I just made this and it only filled 2 1/2 dessert dishes. Just FYI. I'll let you guys know how it tastes in a few hours!

Quote Artichoke47
    Okay - I just made this and it only filled 2 1/2 dessert dishes. Just FYI. I'll let you guys know how it tastes in a few hours!

what's FYI?

QUESTION - could I use honey instead of maple syrup? and water instead of milk? what do you think? I can't get either of them in shop.
    I like Eminem - Encore

FYI means for your information.

honey isnt vegan to most vegans, but im sure that would work if thats what u want to use. and water probably wouldnt work aswell as soymilk because then it wont be creamy like pudding.

thanx for the recipe artichoke
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

basteq, please have a look at the honey thread. Honey isn't vegan.

moonbeamzzz

Thumbs up the ULTIMATE chocolate pudding!!!

place one cup of soft/silken tofu,a quarter of a cup of oil,half a cup of sugar,four tablespoons of cocoa powder,quarter of a teaspoon of salt and one and a halfteaspoons of vanilla extract in a blender,blend until smooth and creamey(you may need to use a spoon as well,while blender is UNPLUGGED),chill in the fridge and then...eat...CHOCOLATE VELVET!!!let me know how you enjoyed it???ruthie.xxx.

Would have liked to try one of those ones on sale at BVF but I ran of pennies before I left they looked top notch ;-)
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Either I jumped the gun or the recipe doesn't work. When it started to get thick, I put the pudding in cups and refrigerated it. Two hours later, it was still runny. This morning still, it was runny. So either I didn't wait for it to thicken long enough or the recipe doesn't work.

I will try Moonbeam's recipe next. I'm sorry for the problems this caused anyone.

I don't think honey would work, either, and definitely not water!

Artichoke s*** happens. btw when I was off my vegan diet I ate ARROZ CON LECHE (rice with milk). It was very good. I thought I might try some rice pudding. I guess that would be about the consistency I'd like. Tapioka looks very yummy although I've never tried it.
    I like Eminem - Encore

artichoke, try freezing it works wonders! u think it would freeze it or not work if left in too long but honestly, leave it in for twenty minutes and it will probably be the thickness u want. (i didnt try that for this recipe, i tried that for an icing recipe i used)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I tried the Great Good Desserts Naturally chocolate pudding today. It's cooling right now, but it tastes soooo good!

This stuff is rich. I don't think anyone could overeat. Man, I'm full from five bites.

Arrowroot does thicken but you have to reach that point right before boiling. Roughly speaking... I think I read that arrowroot looses its thickening abilities if boiled. But there are so many thickening agents I might be mixing things up. I think it is arrowroot though.

Re honey ... instead of honey try using Agave Nectar it's amazingly delicious Personally for a chocolate pudding maple syrup or sugar is more complimentary.