Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fasting: what are your thoughts?

Smile Fasting: what are your thoughts?

uhm... for how long are you gonna fast? just because something isn't proven to be unhealthy doesn't mean it is healthy...
    and wait.. i thought a vegan diet automatically had no toxins...?
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 11th, 2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: This post was from another thread!
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

Default Re: The Fasting Thread

Quote berta_the_aspie View Post
    and wait.. i thought a vegan diet automatically had no toxins...?
    A vegan diet may have fewer toxins than the omnivore's diet, but no diet is toxin-free--unless you're a breath-arian, and even that's debatable.

Default Re: Fasting: what are your thoughts?

Well I have considered doing a fast, but to be honest I just don't think I'd have the will-power to do it. For me, I think I'd have to do it in a controlled environment such as a health retreat.

I used to do 10-day fasts years ago, but now I'm just not into it. I also believe that to fast (and I mean water fasts, not taking fruit juices etc), it makes one put on weight, because although there is weight loss at the time, as soon as eating starts, the body grabs every single kilojoule in preparation for another famine!
    Eve

I can't go for more than a couple of hours without eating, I feel horribly sick and light headed if I don't eat regularly so I don't think that I could ever fast ! I don't know how people do it !

I've considered fasting, but if I haven't eaten in, say, 4 hours, I will get very sleepy and weak. I've been to the doctors about this before and all they told me is that it's not diabetes or aneamia. I'd love to try fasting, but without knowing what problem I have, I wouldn't want to risk my health.

BlackCats

I would really like to try a juice fast/cleanse but I know I wouldn't be able to do it.
    For it to happen, I would have be forcibly restrained and starved. I don't think I have enough will power on my own.

I read a book (which I do not remember the name of, it was 14 years ago) and the doctor that wrote it said animals fast to get rid of illnesses/disease from their bodies. I thought fasting was good as it allowed your body to digest food? I'm not sure if this is true.

I'm sure someone will jump in with their opinion anyway, ha ha.

I like the idea of a week long spa fast with colonic irrigation but haven't got the will power to do it at home.
    I can imagine it makes you feel fantastic and would be a good way to give up coffee and deal with the resulting toxins.
    Silent but deadly :p

from what i understand, it's best to do a fast over a weekend when you can relax or over a holiday period when you don't have to keep to a schedule and can rest when you need to.

I've heard so many conflicting things about fasting...I've heard that it's good for you and flushes out toxins and all that. But I've also heard that it's bad for you, slows down your metabolism and forces your body to start eating itself...

I could never do a fast. I love food way too much...I think the closest thing I could do to a fast was just eating raw for a week haha

sugarmouse

Closest I get to fasting is just having cabbage water, salads and broths for a few days but even then I cheat slightly (have coffee etc sometimes)
    I guess having anorexia was a fast wasnt it lol

i used to be anorexic sugarmouse. it was definitely like a fast but so unhealthy. the difference for me was that i was hurting myself and was constantly fasting to lose weight and used it as a way to control my thoughts. but fasting in a healthy way, for a short period of time, for health and spirituality, and to help myself rather than hurt myself are great for me. it also helps me to retrain my eating habits so i eat healthy foods and feel good about myself and i feel so happy and cleansed and serene after a fast and really connect myself to my body and feel good about food and eating.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I don't know much about fasting. Sounds interesting... but right now, not interesting enough to do it.

Perhaps I will one day, especially if I get some compelling information about its helpfulness. I'm excited about reading this thread.
    context is everything

It would probably be unhealthy and maybe dangerous for anyone with a history of restrictive type eating disorder.
    Also anyone with blood sugar problems.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Good sperm

All I know is I feel awful if I don't eat. If my body is unable to 'cleanse' itself with my high GI, wholegrain, mixed fruit and veg, low fat, no refined flour or sugar vegan diet then I evolved wrong. If you're worried about being 'cleansed' eat raw, don't stop eating altogether.

Plus fasting sounds like it buys into the food=evil mentality that is held by alot of people who punish their bodies with food (either by eating too much, the wrong things or starving themselves), and that isn't healthy physically or psychologically.

your body IS able to cleanse itself on a healthy diet, the point of a cleanse is to rid your body of toxins you were exposed to throughout your life, and fasting cleanses your body further.

people arent fasting because food is evil. people fast to cleanse their bodies. and the people i know that fast on a regular basis most definitely do not have a bad relationship with food at all. they eat very healthy and are in tune with their bodies. i personally love food and love to eat, but me fasting doesnt mean i hate food at all.

it is also really good for people who are "addicted" to certain foods, as after the fast, your relationship to food is much different and all you want is healthy food.

eating raw is really cleansing yes. but juice fasts or better yet water fasts, cleanse you at a much deeper level, cleansing not only your body but also your spirituality and mind.

fasting is definitely cleansing for me, because if i do a fast versus eat healthy, when having the flu, it goes away in 2 days, compared to 2 weeks while still eating a healthy diet.

but of course, everyones allowed to have their own opinions!

There may be something to be said for not eating for a short period when you have certain types of illness - in fact you sometimes don't feel like eating anyway do you?(although with me the appetite is the last thing to go )

Here's some research about it http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1777.html

I don't really see the point of it at other times though - like amf I tend to feel much better if I eat as regularly as poss. AIUI your digestive system is able to deal with a certain amount of toxins.
    Last edited by harpy; Sep 15th, 2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: remove ambiguity

well, fasting is definitely not for everyone! (and most people do feel crappy whilst fasting from not eating, but if you can do it long enough, then you will see the benefits. after a few days of fasting, your energy level goes up dramatically and you feel great. most people dont understand the benefits of fasting because they think it makes them feel bad to not eat and then stop, but havent really done it long enough to see the benefits.)

thanks for the article harpy.

It's fine once in a while. I've been on fasts of from 3 to 10 days. Everyone should try fasting at least once. It can be quite an eye opener.

The tricky bit is how to reintroduce food. It needs to be done gradually.

Some people can over-use it as a cure-all, which is not in my opinion generally a very good idea. I'd only recommend it as something to do occasionally.

Cheers

Mike

I can see fasting to save money or if you are somewhere where there isn't much food but I don't see any positive reason to do so otherwise.

my body's not suited to fasting. i need regular food to function, and maybe it does take a while to get over the bad side-effects of going without food, but i don't feel it's worth it for me. even if i've been eating badly for a while, my body still needs food to keep going - i just eat more healthily.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I find the benefits of fasting to be far too anecdotal for my liking, eating good food is medically proven to be healthy however so I shall continue to eat on a regular basis.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Diet isn't the only place we pick up toxins. If one isn't clean inside and flowing well, we can poison ourselves. Also our air is full of toxins as well as water, etc. Then we have all kinds of incoherent influences such as emf from cell phones, wifi, etc all having a negative and additive impact on ones health. Cleansing is a very useful tool in reducing one's "total load." Along with dietary cleansing one can also sauna, exercise, and utilize various baths such as clay baths which will help to pull toxins out. Colonics are also quite good in aiding the large intestine and liver in reducing any toxic burdons. There are different kinds of fasts for different people in different situations. There is no wide brush suitable for everyone here.

Quick add -

Be conscious of WHAT you fast on. Choose fluids that will not break havok on your blood sugars, such as green juices.

i got really really sick the last couple days and lost my appetite, had fruit at breakfast and a bit of rice at lunch and nothing for dinner and woke up and am starting to feel a looooot better when going to sleep last night i had a total fever. when you get sick and lose your appetite i think your body wants to fast to be able to have a chance to heal itself and such, seemed to work for me.

i also did like a one-day fast before, only one day. so nothing majorly ground breaking. but i would love to try a longer fast someday! of course you have to do it like when you're on vacation or something because you will definitely need to relax! a lot !

Just don't watch cooking shows.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

cherrywisp

I fasted for three days once and then slowly went back to eating by using soups and then fruits and vegetables before eating any grains or anything.

I enjoyed it but I probably wouldn't have been able to do it if I'd had to work or go to school, I did it over a weekend.

I basically did it just to see what it was like. I don't think I'd do a zero-calorie fast ever again but I might do something where I just consume a certain food or a few certain foods for some time.
    Although I'm not really interested in it anymore.

I think fasting is quite a personal experience. It takes a little while to adjust, but energy levels pick back up after three days or so. I haven't done this very often, as my blood sugar gets all out of whack. And my muscles get sore! I usually don't have any length of "free" time to relax when I'm doing it either. I think it should only be done by those who can do it safely.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I have fasted before, but I really shouldn't as i'm a type 1 diabetic. lol

I wouldn't have the willpower.

Melanie- lol - quick, grab a bite to eat! Your blood sugar is dropping.

Not for me. I imagine that as my blood sugar drops quickly then likely my body cannibalizes itself quickly. I think that if you have a virus your body can surely insist that you slow up your eating and that is a good idea. My fiance and I are somewhat fasting with a recent illness. Of course, last night he fainted from dehydration so...
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Fasting is natural. Most animals can be observed fasting during an illness, as it can be quite benificial. Some people overuse fasts, and some people overextend them when its not needed. Right now I'm reading Fasting and Eating for Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's a good read, unfortunately there's no companies interested in sponsoring a clinical trial for fasting instead of prescription medicines, so I would be interested in studies on fasting.

Haniska, get some more water in yourselves!!

Quote Haniska View Post
    Not for me. I imagine that as my blood sugar drops quickly then likely my body cannibalizes itself quickly. I think that if you have a virus your body can surely insist that you slow up your eating and that is a good idea. My fiance and I are somewhat fasting with a recent illness. Of course, last night he fainted from dehydration so...
    Oooo be careful! I hope your b/f manages to get some fluids into him today.

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Most animals can be observed fasting during an illness, as it can be quite benificial.
    I would put that down to not having an appetite rather than conciously fasting. If you don't have an appetite when you get ill then it probably is usually ok not to eat - you have to listen to your body. If however you're ill and want to eat but don't, I don't think that's a good idea.

I think fasting is great. I did it for 14 days, lost a ton of weight and completely cleaned out my body.

You can fast on juices or on water. Fasting on water one day a week is an excellent way to give your digestive system a break and help your body to heal. The longer you fast, the bigger the benefits.

Mary

I'm about to embark upon a 40 day juice fast [health allowing] starting Tues 12th and ending on Easter.

From tomorrow I'm cutting out sugar, processed food and processed food, and eating less in preperation.

I'll post a link to the blog I'll make, wish me luck!

40 days! Are you allowing nuts, seeds, and greens in your juices?

Quote veganmary View Post
    I think fasting is great. I did it for 14 days, lost a ton of weight and completely cleaned out my body.

You can fast on juices or on water. Fasting on water one day a week is an excellent way to give your digestive system a break and help your body to heal. The longer you fast, the bigger the benefits.

Mary
    Eating healthily and doing excercise is a good way to lose weight, it also helps your body to heal. The longer you eat healthily and excercise regularly the bigger the benefits too!

Also, unlike fasting, you can do it indefinately and it's medically proven to be beneficial to your health.

Good luck on your fast, Noogle.

I think I'd come out weighing about 50 pounds if I fasted for 40 days.

heat13

I have done lots of short (7-10 day) juice fasts. Jason Vale (the Juicemaster) has a lot of great books about juice fasts.

But I have a question about the water fasts or lemon water fasts... I have read conflicting information. I know that it's good to give your digestive system a break and clean your system- but some people say that if you are doing just water fasts, your body will go into starvation mode and start to store fat (slowing your metabolism down). Does anyone know more? Thanks!

I'm sure you've done the reasearch Noogle, just please be careful Good luck and I hope it's a positive experience for you!

The main thing that worries me about fasts is the lack of essential nutrients. We know that the body will leach calcium from the bones if it isn't getting enough through diet. I suspect a long fast will result in deficiencies in calcium, iron, magnesium and various other kinds of minerals and vitamins. Somebody mentioned getting pains in the legs during a fast - this is probably caused by magnesium deficiency.

I've never heard of any research that shows fasting has any 'cleansing' benefits either. It might help meat-eaters to clear some of the build-up in their intestines and colon (simply because they're not adding more meat to it) but that's not a problem vegans suffer from, so why bother?

Are you doing the 40 day fast for religious reasons Noogle? (Just wondering - 40 days, ending at Easter . . . ) If so do many people do this and are other people you know doing it?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Lots of concern! Don't worry everyone, If I feel it's not working for me, or it's making me ill, I will stop - there's no point in putting myself through it for bad reasons!

I've done quite a bit of reading on it of late, and I'm well prepared.

Sluggers, apparantly the leg pain is caused by the lymphatics detoxing [something to do with the big part being in your leg?]. I'm not sure about that as I'm not a biology expert! Regardless though, I'll be drinking plenty of calcium in green leafies.

Marrers, I'm not religious at all, so it's not really for that reason - but it's good timing to have Easter at the end, and lent's known for its fasting, so why not join tradition!

I have a list of the things I'll be consuming at home, I'll post it up when I get there and if there's anything else anyone can recommend I'll be happy to hear about it.

I'm looking forward to seing the list of what you'll be eating.

Also, I'm one of those (or the one) that mentioned that I get pain and soarness in my legs when I fast. I had always assumed this was due to caloric deficiency and fatigue rather than the action of the lympatics system. I suppose that would be something I could research further in the future. Unfortunately, the fatigue is rather bad for me when I fast and don't think I could anywhere near a 40-day fast!

What are these toxins? If they're important enough to do something about then you should really be seeing a doctor about them.

(bearing in mind it's recommended that you see a doctor before starting a large change in diet like a fast anyway)

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I'm looking forward to seing the list of what you'll be eating.

Also, I'm one of those (or the one) that mentioned that I get pain and soarness in my legs when I fast. I had always assumed this was due to caloric deficiency and fatigue rather than the action of the lympatics system. I suppose that would be something I could research further in the future. Unfortunately, the fatigue is rather bad for me when I fast and don't think I could anywhere near a 40-day fast!
    Sorry it took me so long, I sort of forgot!

My list so far is as follows:

Tonic: warm water, lemon juice, ginger and garlic
    Cabbage water
    Vegetable juice
    Fruit juice [in moderation]
    Herbs
    Dandelion

Feel free to suggest more things you think I'd need.

heat13

That's good you can have juices otherwise that might be a long 40 days! Good luck

what about adding some flax or hempseed oil for fats and EFAs?

otherwise, sounds pretty good! i'd stock up on apples to add sweetness to the vege juices, as they tend to get weird tasting with all those greens. and maybe some lemon if you want to make juices ahead of time and stock the fridge with them.