Thread: Upcoming series of 'kill it, cook it, eat it'

Default Upcoming series of 'kill it, cook it, eat it'

I know there's been some mention of this before but thought it'd be best to start a new thread.

Me and my friend have just taken part in the 'audience' for the Veal programme of the next series..

Firstly I'd like to apologise for being a crying wreck and I'm so worried that I'll give vegans a bad name, anyway..

The audience concisted of about 50 people, all meat eaters with the exception of me (vegan) and my friend (veggie now vegan, yay) now this alone seemed slightly unfair as everyone working on the show kept saying how they wanted it to be as unbias as possible..it was really hard for us to make our points..we felt so much pressure being the only veggies there.

I couln't stay for the entire slaughter..I broke down pretty quick and went outside with my friend..I was a mess and was followed by a camera crew and was then expected to explain how I felt, it was fucking awful.

I dread to think how the whole thing will be edited but we shall see..I think I just want to apologise for being a bit crap really, I hope the other veggies on the next few shows do better!

xx
    Vegan flu, spreading clear skin and shiney hair..FAST!

Default Re: Upcoming series of 'killit, cook it, eat it'

I couldn't get up there for the fimling so had to pass.
    I'd have been sh!te anyway. I can watch these things without obvious reaction and have had to kill several animals who were in terminal pain with my own hands.
    I'd just have been edited to seem callous, probably.

Well done for being there to you and your friend lil_miss_tashwa.

Peas and Love,

Paul.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote lil_miss_tashwa View Post
    .I think I just want to apologise for being a bit crap really, I hope the other veggies on the next few shows do better!
    It doesn't sound like you were crap to me. I couldn't watch anything being slaughtered. To me, it would be perfectly normal to be upset watching something so horrific (no offence meant to you, Paul).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

None taken Red. Some people are scared of horses..
    If it's legal and it's going to happen and I'm there to observe then I'd do just that.
    Know your enemy.

Px

When will the series be shown?

Sorry it was such an ordeal lil_miss_tashwa - I couldn't have done it.

But it sounds as if you reacted in a natural way which it will be hard for them to distort in the editing process - mind you it's amazing what they can do

Default Re: Upcoming series of 'kill it, cook it, eat it'

Well done for doing it, very brave!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

yeah, well done - i wouldn't have done it. only having 2 veg*ns out of 50 people sounds very biased to me. i hope they don't edit it too harshly but i can guess what point they'll be trying to put across with this show.

well done again for going on the programme.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I really don't know how I would react in that audience, it sounds like a horrible experience. The huge problem I have with the programme is as follows:

Great, they're showing animals being slaughtered, that might make people connect food to the animal. But it gives farmers a chance to 'prove' to everyone that they're doing everything humanely, something rarely done in a real life situation.

The best way to make people 'connect' is for the BBC to have the courage to show undercover footage of it happening in the real environment. That way no extra animals die, and the real story is shown.

As it is, it's the BBC killing animals for ratings.

Good points, well made.

I think that's really brave

I might go on the next one. I did email the company and tell them what I thought. I think next time I might apply. I worry about not getting some of my vegan facts right, and doing more harm than good

Do you know when the show will be shown?

From www.viva.org.uk

BBC Slammed for Slaughter of Baby Animals Stunt
    TV licence fees help pay for bloodshed

Viva!, Britain’s leading vegetarian campaigning group has condemned the BBC for plans to slaughter baby animals on air during the second series of the controversial, Kill It, Cook It, Eat It*.

The BBC3 TV show – due to air later in the year – will show the killing of baby lambs, piglets, goats and veal calves in front of a live studio audience. Viva! was one of the many animal welfare groups that condemned the network for showing a biased and sanitised version of the slaughter process during the first series. Viva! is calling on the BBC to halt production of the series before it starts.

“It is important for people to know where their food comes from,” says Viva! Campaigns Manager Justin Kerswell. “Viva! welcomed a previous BBC documentary that showed undercover footage from within a working slaughterhouse, but if this series is anything like the last one it will be a complete whitewash.

“The first series of Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, advertised itself as balanced look at how we slaughter animals, but it was anything but. Millions of the one billion animals slaughtered in the UK each year suffer pain and fear when they are improperly stunned before slaughter and may fail to lose consciousness at all, facing a violent and terrifying death.

“BBC licence fee payers have to ask themselves if they are happy for their money to go towards paying for the slaughter of baby animals for entertainment. If the program makers were really interested in showing the reality of slaughter they would film the conveyor belt of misery and pain inside just one of Britain’s many industrial abattoirs.”

Video footage shot by Viva! inside UK abattoirs shows animals being stunned for as little as 2 seconds and regaining consciousness as they bleed to death. Clearly conscious sheep and pigs are shown struggling violently as they hang from shackles on the slaughter line.

omg, what a horrible, horrible show! i hadn't heard about it. that is just sick...ugh, ugh, ugh!

lil_miss_tashwa, i'm impressed that you went on the show to stand up for your beliefs! like many others here, i don't think i could have bared to do it...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Thank you for being nice everybody! I haven't had confirmation of exactly when it will be shown yet, apparantly they'll let us know.
    But yeah, horrible day..I wish I was able to put my points across but I was too upset to be honest. I almost cracked up as soon as I walked into the studio..they calves were in a pen for ages before the slaughter and you could hear them mooing..

Horible horrible.

xx

RubyDuby

that is just sick. what kind of people would be interested in seeing that???
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I said on the day I had a bit more respect for the meat eaters that went on the show because at least they've thought about where their food comes from..however they all watched 6 calves be killed and only one person (other than me and my friend) refused to eat it.

I came away hating the human race that little bit more I must say.

The number of people that said they 'respect' animals was quite frankly ridiculous.

this is disgusting, really rank. why would this be classed as entertainment. this is the type of stuff that they should show before a big animal rights abboutoire sabotage, to, ummm... fire up the guns. not on public telly

I just watched the goat episode, the veal episode is on tomorrow night.

The women presenter was really irritating, there was one fellow who said that after seeing the animals killed he couldnt eat them and was going to look into vegetarianism, the lady presenter said "right" then moved onto his friend next to him and asked what he thought about the meat he was eating and then said "youre not going to go veggie on me/ us are you?'
    That really irritated me.

How disgusting.

It is wierd these programs recently...there was Hughs Chicken Run and Jamie Olivers fowl food thing on Thursday and this gross TV show. I dont know about the others but kill cook eat it is digusting.

OMFG to kill an animal on stage. What fkng century are we living in, FFS most people belong in the caveman era, dragging their fking knuckles. I really hope humanity gets wiped out by a fking asteroid, virus or something else, NOW.

Can't fucking beleive people watch an animal die then eat it. what a bunch of vampires. fucking vampire flesh eating fucking sociapathic bastards.

lil_miss_tashwa; Well done for being there and standing up for us vegans! You're a lovely person sweety. -Huggles-

I watched this tonight, posted an emotive youtube blog in response, it's bloody horrible

Saw you tonight aswell, well done

Default Re: Now current series of 'kill it, cook it, eat it'

I've just watched the late night repeat. Well done to you and your friend. What a high pressure situation. I'm surprised only one of the meat eaters refused to eat it though - it wasn't obvious from the finished programme that she was the only one.

Frankly the programme came across as an advert for veal. They were making a big point about the veal crates being a thing of the past in Europe so people were avoiding veal through out of date ideas and ignorance.
    More specifically it seemed to be calling for more people to eat British veal and create more demand for it - based on the 'good life' the veal calves had at just one farm, the one British farm featured in the show.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I watched the veal 'episode' last night. I can't recall in living memory being so incandescent with rage at a TV programme.

It wasn't the actual process that got to me, but the blatant bias in favour of the vile meat industry. It was so incredibly stage managed wasn't it? Every syllable of the commentary was bursting with justification. Was the programme sponsored by the meat industry or what?

I am not a violent person but the so called 'Vet' who was doing the oleaginous running commentary to caress the hand that feeds him made me want to punch his lights out, what a tosser. How can someone study for years to be a Vet then be a lickspittle for the meat industry?

What worries me is that anyone watching will kid themselves that the sanitised and staged version of the process shown is truly representative of what goes on.

I thought it was interesting when the vet made a big thing of the stunning process, how important it was and how it rendered the calf 'insensible'. The poor things didn't look insensible to me, particularly when they moved visibly after almost having their heads completely severed.

If stunning is so crucial, pity nobody mentioned Halal meat and the fact that it regularly finds its way into 'normal' meat consumption. There have been many instances of Halal meat being used in Schools, Prisons, the armed services etc by default, to avoid the terrible inconvienence of having to do two lots of corpse.

If you drive through the Upper Tooting Road in South London there are many Halal butchers proudly displaying signs proclaiming '100% guaranteed not stunned'. Nice.

The other bit which I found deeply offensive was when that simpering bitch of a presenter (sod off back to Watchdog eh love) responded to the young vegetarian woman who said she was going to become vegan by saying 'why so extreme?'. She's just watched the repulsive taking of a young cow's life and thinks not wanting to condone or endorse such things is 'extreme'! Unbelieveable.

It left me deeply saddened and utterly ashamed for being vegetarian and continuing to consume dairy for so many years, but I can't turn the clock back, sadly.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Good for you to go along and be there and be vegan.
    I didnt watch it but i am sure you were good.

Sounds like a vile program i won't watch it. I will complain to bbc though.

I am so disgusted at the concept of this program. I hadn't heard about it until this thread and i felt really sick just reading about it.

I for one know i wouldn't have been able to watch it and if i was in the audience i know i would have worked myself up into a frenzy and made some attempt to rescue the calves in a blind rage :/

I just don't understand what kind of people can think of, watch and enjoy these type of programs, it's so sickening.

I can't imagine how awful it must have been to be there Tashwa.

Arrgh i'm so angry!!!!!
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Quote Jiffy View Post

It wasn't the actual process that got to me, but the blatant bias in favour of the vile meat industry. It was so incredibly stage managed wasn't it? Every syllable of the commentary was bursting with justification. Was the programme sponsored by the meat industry or what?

What worries me is that anyone watching will kid themselves that the sanitised and staged version of the process shown is truly representative of what goes on.

I thought it was interesting when the vet made a big thing of the stunning process, how important it was and how it rendered the calf 'insensible'. The poor things didn't look insensible to me, particularly when they moved visibly after almost having their heads completely severed.

Totally with you there. The woman who presents is so bloody annoying and almost seems like she doesnt give a shite. Then she winds people up and says something like "well dont you think it is cruel" etc then she bleats on about "well why would you be veggie" etc, stop trying to wind people up and actually listen to what the public are saying.
    I watched one episode, some with my eyes closed but that was all i ever needed to see. I have pretty much lost faith that people give a darn anyway so i dont want to reinforce my anger. Lets just hope all the sacrifices for so called entertainment makes some people give up meat.

You were brave to go onthis programme LMT, I don't think I'll be able to watch, but I'd like to show my support for you.
    ClawsyWP you have a very good point. I could just cry thinking about it.

Quote ClawsyWP View Post
    OMFG to kill an animal on stage. What fkng century are we living in, FFS most people belong in the caveman era, dragging their fking knuckles.
    Yes, it kind of reminds me of the scene in Apocolypto where they're making human sacrifices.

I watched 10 mins of it tonight with the baby lambs.....jsut saw the bodies being cut up. And that idiot woman presenter, she is horrible, what a moronic stupid bitch.
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I want to rip her head off. ANd omg at some of the peoples reactions... 'No it doesn't effect me'

These same people would say the same thing if it was a human being killed on stage, as long as it was legal, and society says it is OK, they would have no probems with killing humans and feasting on them also. They have NO heart, although they pretend to, they have NO heart, no empathy at all.
    THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO EMPATHY!

Edit: Do our fees for TV pay for these programs. cause I would really like to refuse to pay it. What if many people protested at it, and threatened to not pay the fee?

Quote ClawsyWP View Post
    Edit: Do our fees for TV pay for these programs. cause I would really like to refuse to pay it. What if many people protested at it, and threatened to not pay the fee?
    Many people would end up in court.

It's very pro meat industry, I assume alot of the reason being that it was the only way they could gain access to an abattoir, they're hardly likely to agree to it if their industry is going to be shown in a negative light. The program is clearly all about 'entertainment' and not ethics and as such they don't care.

I didn't manage to see the lambs last night, but I am still seething from the previous episode. If nothing else it has strengthened my resolve.

I'm running a course at work this week and I actually said to the attendees that if they want milk for their tea and coffee they can bloody well buy it themselves!
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I think you're all very brave for watching this programme (and others like it), I haven't been able to. It's not just the subject matter but the cocky presenters with the big egos who seem to dismiss anyone with a hint of campassion that makes my blood boil.

I watched the veal one on iPlayer, just to see LMT.

I think you came across very well

On the other hand the program was a big steaming crock of shit. They didn't bother to mention that the vast majority of veal is produced abroad under far worse conditions than on that farm.

And if that was "best practice" slaughter, then I'd hate to see the worst examples. The first two calves regained consciousness while the blood was draining out of them, and the third one was never unconscious in the first place. Apparently, though, it's kicking and obvious panic after being stunned was a reflex reaction - yeah a reflex reaction to seeing it's buddies strung up and murdered!

And as for that vet.... If that's what you trained to be a vet for, then you're one very f*cked up c*nt.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Wow I'm fat on t.v...did anyone see the goat one with that veggie girl saying 'it wasn't that bad actually'? wtf....To think I was worried I looked like a tit.

xx

Quote lil_miss_tashwa View Post
    Wow I'm fat on t.v...did anyone see the goat one with that veggie girl saying 'it wasn't that bad actually'? wtf....To think I was worried I looked like a tit.

xx
    As others have said, you came across very well and remained remarkably composed in the face of so much ignorance.

As for looking fat....I think not. If you want to talk about fat, or more specifically morbid obesity, that tent-wearing woman chef and the oh so caring veal farmer family have pretty much got that covered.

All credit to you for going on the show lil miss tashwa. If you go on anymore such shows do you think you could manage to slip the presenter and any nasty guests a very large dose of laxative?

Hi lil_miss_tashwa, i saw the episode you were in, was the only one i managed to catch. Well done to you and your friend, the presenter was giving you a hard time from what i saw. I wouldn't have been able to watch the whole thing either. It was extremely biased and seems to be propaganda for the british meat industry. I got rather angry while watching... however, my boyfriend saw it and made the connection between veal and dairy, and is now seriously thinking of veganism!

Default Re: Now current series of 'kill it, cook it, eat it'

Quote Marrers View Post
    Frankly the programme came across as an advert for veal. They were making a big point about the veal crates being a thing of the past in Europe so people were avoiding veal through out of date ideas and ignorance.
    More specifically it seemed to be calling for more people to eat British veal and create more demand for it - based on the 'good life' the veal calves had at just one farm, the one British farm featured in the show.
    There's an article in the latest Countryfile magazine saying just that.
    It looks as though there is going to be a concerted effort to encourage people to eat veal to minimise the 'wastage' of 170,000 calves being shot at, or soon after birth with many supermarkets starting to market more British veal. The article pushes the better welfare standards that exist in the UK (and urges people not to eat veal from outside the UK) and encourages people not to be squeamish about eating baby calves as they actually live longer than lambs and pigs. Other veal products such as burgers and sausages are also being marketed. The article is entitled 'The Veal Deal' and on the front of the magazine it say's, 'Why it's cruel not to eat veal', and basically says that if you drink milk you have a duty to eat veal to prevent calves from being disposed of as soon as they're born.

It also mentions that Compassion in World Farming and the RSPCA are having talks with farmers to find alternatives to live exports and killing at birth.

Well done, lil_miss_tashwa and friend. You both came over very well despite the uncomprehending interviewer, and the fact you were so articulate made up for the fact that you didn't get all that much airtime (although I suppose that aspect might have been worse).

I mainly watched your bits but it was good that that other woman was going to "re-evaluate her whole relationship with meat" as well.

lil_miss_tashwa/guys - where is this on you tube, wanna take a peak!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I don't know if it's on YouTube - I watched it on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

but I'm afraid it may not be available any more as they only put the programmes up there for 7 days.

No it's not available! DAMN!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    No it's not available! DAMN!
    Maybe someone will have recorded it...

I don't own a VHS player so unless it's someone who's swanky and owns a dvd recorder - I can forget it lol. Never mind! I just thought it would be on you tube (can't find it) as melanie left a comment about it earlier.

I know it was on tonight, maybe be repeated again..

Quote Fabrabbit View Post
    I just watched the goat episode, the veal episode is on tomorrow night.

The women presenter was really irritating, there was one fellow who said that after seeing the animals killed he couldnt eat them and was going to look into vegetarianism, the lady presenter said "right" then moved onto his friend next to him and asked what he thought about the meat he was eating and then said "youre not going to go veggie on me/ us are you?'
    That really irritated me.
    That's the one I saw too. I couldn't believe the "you're not going to go veggie on me too?" comment... A programme like that SHOULD be making people go vegetarian. The fact that she said that just shows that the point of it was very screwed up. The focus was all about how humane it was, and people seemed to fall for it. Got really upset, and then said, well at least it was humane...NO! IT ISN'T! That's why you were upset!! ARGH! The two woman who broke down last week and had to leave...I really thought they might be converted, but no, they ate the meat. Yuck.

LMT - you were really brave and I think it's good you went on the show. The fact that you broke down is important, it shows that it's not normal to be able to watch without reaction. YOU had the right reaction, not the others.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Clawsy. But I'd prefer the asteroid to the virus... (From January 9th)
    Penny
    Last edited by Penny; Jan 30th, 2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Answering old post

treaclemine

Default Third series of Kill 'it' ...

Anyone feeling strong? Firefly productions are looking for audience members for a third series of this programme:

http://www.fireflyproductions.tv/contact.htm

Quote:

BBC3’s “Kill it, Cook it, Eat it” is back with a new exciting format and we’re looking for people to join us in a quest to challenge conventional views about where certain types of our meat comes from.

This new series takes the concept of meat-eating to the next level - looking at some really unusual meat options. Find out how meat gets from the field to the fork on your plate - get actively involved in every stage of this process.

Where do you draw the line about the meats you will or won't eat? Are you articulate and do you have with strong opinions about meat and where it comes from?

Whether you’re a vegetarian, vegan or a meat connoisseur or simply want to confront head-on the processes then please get in touch.

Payment Details: No pay, but we will cover costs of transportation, accommodation, food, training and special clothing.

Fantastic opportunity for some brave vegans to get their voice heard, but i'll sit this one out if you don't mind! I wonder if Viva, Animal Aid, Vegan Society et al know about this? I bet they'd be happy(ish) to send someone in to put the vegan message across.

I hope they move it from BBC3 to BBC1 or 2 though. It's like the BBC want to look as though they're being progressive by doing a program about modern meat production and challenging views etc, but then they go and hide it away on Freeview. Silly sods.