Thread: New Vegan...

Unhappy New Vegan...

Hi i recently turned vegan, my mum wasnt too happy about it at first but i think shes ok with it now... im the only vegan in my whole family so i have to cook my own meals... im only 15 so im not that good of a cook...

does anyone have any simple vegan recipies that might help me out?

also...

is there any type of food/drink/supliment that i should take/eat/drink? because my mum is still convinced that im going to get seriously ill because im a vegan is this true ....

Thanks everyone

Nat x

Default Re: New Vegan...

i suggest you do some reading so youll have some knowledge of you own and a way to answer questions and concerns (like your mums) when they arise...

do a search on amazon for 'vegan'

depending on where you live... most big book stores ive found have a few vegan related books on the shelves.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Welcome to the forum.

I always find this kind of question is a bit difficult to answer because I don't know the sort of things you like. If you ask more specific questions I'm sure we'll do our best to help you though!

For starters, try www.vegweb.com - there are loads of recipes on there and they're rated and have comments underneath as well as pictures on a lot of them.

As jjdaiquiri says, a recipe book is a good idea, there are a lot of threads on this forum discussing the best ones, and you could try your local library - request an inter library loan if they don't have it - better to try out the recipes in them and see if they are to your taste than splash out on a book and find you never use it
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

hi nutty nat

welcome and good luck with being vegan. i'm in herts, i'm sure there is a vegan group or two by luton/dunstable you might like to look into? - for advice and support.

Hi Nuttynataliekin. Vegans can sometimes be deficient in vitamin B12 and iodine, so if your Mum is concerned it might be a good idea to get supplements for these. I use a multivitamin and mineral supplement from Deva which you can buy online. (Try veganstore.co.uk) It's specially formulated for vegans.

There's a recipe book called 'Vegan Cooking For One' by Leah Leneman which contains quite simple recipes, in single person quantities. It also gives you a weekly shopping/cooking plan which is really useful if you're a novice at that kind of thing.

Good luck.

You can get info on vegan nutrition and the vegan lifestyle from the vegan society.
    http://www.vegansociety.com/

There are loads of vegan recipies on the internet and you can buy vegan cookery books and vegan goods online.

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/

"I'm only 15 so not that good of a cook"

Er...some 15 year olds are awesome at cooking, and you can be to!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

thanks for all the help everyone

Hi nat

Good for you - sounds as if your mum is coming round to the idea already!

Willowherb has already mentioned the Vegan Society web site. There is a lot of helpful advice on there and they also sell a nutritional supplement (including vitamins B12 and D, and iodine) which I gather is well-priced compared with some of the ones you can buy in the shops. V1 I think it's called. Calcium and iron are other nutrients to watch, but you can get plenty of those by eating the right vegan foods and the Vegan Society pages tell you how.

Here's another site with recipes that look fairly easy to make:

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/kitchen.html

Of course at this time of year you can have salad for some of your meals, which saves messing about. One of my favourites is lettuce/watercress leaves, chopped melon, chopped avocado, and raw or toasted nuts and/or seeds, with an oil-and-vinegar dressing. Serve with crusty bread, and it's quite a satisfying meal that involves 0 cooking

I found Skinny Bitch to be a great source of ammunition against ppl who tell me i'm going to get seriously ill for becoming vegan.
    I love Skinny Bitch In The Kitch for recipes too, although the large portions are a pain, although being the only vegan in my flat, I cook for four or so people and freeze the rest.
    This is a great way of doing things, especially if your in a rush.
    Most normal recipes can be converted to vegan with a bit of clever substituting.
    Pasta with a basic tomarto sauce (onion, garlic, passata and lots of herbs) is very easy. A roast dinner can be done, by roasting a butternut squash or baby aubergines and making vegan gravy.
    Go into your local book shop and you should find plenty of vegan cookbooks. I love "vegan feasts" by rose elliot.

You're not going to get seriously ill as a vegan! You are probably going to have a healthier diet than before. You just need to take a few precauations because it's easy to eat vegan and eat junk food nowadays.

I would definitely get a B12 supplement, and then do your best to balance your meals, on a daily basis. Check out some of the vegan food pyramids that are on the internet to make sure you are getting the correct amounts of foods. www.vegan-nutritionista.com/vegan-meals.html can show you how to balance a specific dinner plate with the right amount of veggies, grains, and beans.

Besides that, you can probably convince your mom to eat more veggies and then you will only have to make one or two different things than the rest of the family. Lunches are easier to make, and breakfast is simple.

Don't worry-- just do a little research and you will be fine!

Good for your mom. People around me seem to be slowly adapting, too.

A good cookbook is Vegan on the Cheap. The recipes in there are economical, and the ones I've cooked have been pretty simple to prepare.
    Eat your veggies!

Generation V: The complete guide to going, being and staying vegan as a teenager by Claire Askew is apparently a good book for vegan teens starting out. Another great book on nutrition is Becoming vegan by Vesanto Melina and Bruce Davis.

Veganomicon has a range of easy recipes, cook one of the dishes and freeze the rest that way you wont have to cook every night. There are loads of recipe books you can find, better still, borrow cook books from the library, that way you won't have wasted your money on a book that doesnt have recipes you would use in it. Lately I've been cooking from 1000 Vegan recipes by Robert Robertson, there are heaps of great recipes in this one.

Once you get the hang of it, you be healthier than any omni and cooking up a storm in no time