Thread: How do vegans stay warm?

Default How do vegans stay warm?

I'm a vegetarian considering becoming vegan. Right now all I can consider is how cold it is in New York. I'm having trouble finding a warm coat that doesn't include down, wool, leather... I would love a great down alternative coat, any suggestions?

Default Re: How do vegans stay warm?

In the UK we have a fair amount of jackets that use a synthetic down. Sometimes it is even recycled from plastic bottles which is a big plus. In addition, thermal underwear technology has advanced amazingly over the last few years, I got myself a thin ordinary looking teeshirt with long sleaves with 'heat tech' fabric and its worked very well. Outdoor and sports suppliers usually carry a reasonable range but are pricey. Good luck in your searches.

Hello 108108,

welcome to the forum and you should definitely consider going fully vegan.

You're right, it's really cold right at the moment. However, I personally find that 'all new materials' clothing works fine for me, e.g. Polartec or similar.
    Something like this... http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassicSq...4&origin=index

Best regards,
    Andy

Hello - I believe multiple layers of synthetic fibres are among the warmest things you can wear (the warm air trapped between the layers helps). I was talking to a non-vegan who goes sailing a lot (even in this weather) and that's what he wears - lots of layers. For normal-ish conditions I find wearing a synthetic fleece coat on top of my clothes and thermal underwear under them works pretty well.

cobweb

I have a coat that zips apart, it's a fleece with a water resistant outer, or can be used as 2 seperate coats. It's really warm.

Hi 108108,

Last month has been the coldest month in many years where I live, with temperatures as low as - 22 degrees C (- 7.6 F) - but a few layers do the trick. A cotton T-shirt if needed, a slightly thicker cotton shirt, + a thicker cotton jacket is what I wear under my winter jacket/coat, and the winter jackets I've used also have multiple layers.

I guess the main thing is to use clothes that are properly designed for cold weather – if it's not, you may freeze even if it the clothes are thick and (theoretically) warm, because cold winds have a tendency to penetrate your clothes and their openings (eg. in front, if the jacket is using buttons).

There are lots of synthetic, warm options out there, and since the world is slowly becoming more eco-friendly, I'm sure we'll see a lot of development in terms of natural fiber clothing for cold weather. It's already possible to get clothes made of eg. hemp, soy, jute/hessian, ingeo (corn fiber), organic linen, bamboo and nettle fiber - but I haven't personally checked what's available in clothes for really cold winters yet, since what I have works so well. There are also some more or less eco-friendly fabrics like Tencel/Lyocell, ramie (which at least was popular among Egyptian mummiess , and EcoSpun.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

...and, in addition to all the clothes that aren't labeled as vegan, but still are vegan, there are quite a few products to be found from companies that specialize in animal-free clothes and winter clothes.

Some links that may interest you:
    http://www.vautecouture.com/
    http://thegreenconnoisseur.blogspot....al-planet.html
    http://goveganforum.yuku.com/topic/985
    http://ask.metafilter.com/76635/Help...e-vegan-in-NYC
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out.

I do the same thing as Korn and layer up with mostly cotton. Today I was wearing a thin long sleeve t-shirt, a thicker one over the top, then I have a cotton cardigan and finally a coat which is thick cotton felt-like material on the outside and I think has a synthetic inner (it's a mainstream label, I just asked the people in the department store which ones weren't wool and they were really helpful You can sort of see it in my profile picture)
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

That's interesting, Korn and twinkle - I should probably try more cotton layers as I'm not mad about wearing synthetics if it's avoidable.

108108- Like andy t said, for sure go vegan, it will be the best thing you have ever done!
    As for a coat, I looked and looked for a vegan winter coat and finally found a Colombia jacket that has faux down in the top layer of the jacket. As everyone also said, cotton layers are soo amazing. The long underwear idea is what I do, they can get expensive, but they are for sure worth is cause they last a very long time.
    Good Luck!

I found a warm coat at Lands End that was vegan, although they don't advertise it that way. Same for boots. I just Googled vegan boots and voila, I've found too many to want to buy!

There's no need to worry about it. Becoming vegan gives you superpowers, you won't feel the cold.

That or a few layers + designed for jacket, as already suggested. Perhaps some long johns

Goodluck!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I live in NY too. LL Bean makes a down free winter jacket in smoking hot colors and is good up to 20 below zero. I have one myself. Cost me $ 69. Go to their website and have a look, see what you think.
    ***Victoria***

Dogs never bite me, only humans............Marilyn Monroe

leedsveg

How does a vegan stay warm?

By hugging other vegans!

lv

VagabondVegan

Or If your hardcore you walk around in the snow in shoes with holes in, no socks, short sleeve cotton t-shirts and ripped jeans...I do!

oh lol, I thought this thread was about vegans being cold, is just a question I get a lot. I'm a bit of a cold person (was as well when I was an omni a lifetime ago) and sometimes when I feel cold there is a joker around saying this is because I'm on a vegan diet and oh well it's pretty annoying..

..anyway, I live in Quebec, Canada and winters get pretty cold up here as well. The North Face is very popular here and I think every person here at least owns one of there items of clothing. They do some coats that I've been told are vegan (using fleece, polyester or some kind of synthetic microfibre), maybe it's interesting to check out, they do make warm clothes

I'm cold too My hands and feet for some reason are freezing constantly. It's kind of nice in the summer though Whenever it's really hot outside I can put the back of my hands on my neck and it feels amazing

Quote Back-Space View Post
    I'm cold too My hands and feet for some reason are freezing constantly. It's kind of nice in the summer though Whenever it's really hot outside I can put the back of my hands on my neck and it feels amazing
    lol thats funny! ive been know to use my hands as a cold compress when i run into something, which happens more than id like to admit. my partner is a walking heater which works really well with me being a fridge i cool him down and he warms me up

Cornish

I adore cable-knit cotton jumpers

The jacket that I have is 100% nylon and polyester. I wear nothing but a t-shirt underneath it while snowboarding and it keeps me super warm at the top of the mountains. The brand is Airblaster and the style jacket is called "My Grandpa's Jacket". It is also 20k waterproof so you stay warm and dry in the rain and the snow.

I love cotton, I have 100% cotton sheets, is nice and warm in winter and cool in the summer.