Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Foods I Avoid for Health

steven1222

Default Re: Vegan Foods I Avoid for Health

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Steven, I have found that if I eat undercooked home made soups, even made with very fresh ingredients, or raw juices and smoothies, I get severe indigestion.
    I have worked out that it is because I am not chewing it or moving it around my mouth so it isn't getting properly digested.
    Purreeing food can also have this effect if it means you don't have to chew. Digestion starts in the mouth with the saliva and chewing stimulates the stomach to get ready for the food.
    If you try spending more time on chewing it could help you.
    Undercooking food can make it more difficult to digest; I usually cook food for longer than the recommended amount of time to make it easier.
    Leaving starchy foods in the mouth for too long causes the starch to break down into maltose, which is a sugar. Sugars are not good for my stomach.
    Stimulation of the stomach should only be a concern at the beginning of a meal; maybe I should chew my first food longer or more intensely.
    Yes, chewing properly can help, but at the end of the day I still have gastroparesis.

Quote Tray View Post
    I became vegan for environmental and ethic reasons... Honestly I eat white flour, pasta, mushrooms, sometimes hydrogenated oils (margarine), sometimes I drink coffe and alchoolics, I don't eat too many processed foods because they are too expensive but I'm in perfect health. If I need something I listen to what my body want and I eat it. From the moment I became first vegetarian then vegan I never got Ill.
    I think the problem is not about the food but about the quantity... If you eat varied you'll be ok..
    I don't to offend anybody but for me you are exaggerating, moderation is the key and also we have to keep pleasure from what we eat
    I pretty much agree with everything you said.

It seems every few months there's some new "study" released that lists certain foods (usually thought of as healthy) as dangerous. Hell, in a couple months they'll probably be some report saying apples are bad. It's kind of ridiculous. What are you supposed to believe with all the conflicting information?

Vegan for me is for ethical reasons, #1.
    That said, I do care about my health and I enjoy the health benefits of a vegan diet as well. I think I'm healthier than a lot of people I know and come in contact with. I do try to avoid high-sugar/sodium/fats, but I cheat every now and then. I don't care. You have to live and not be all worried and paranoid about food. Exercise helps. I walk every single day, so I don't feel especially guilty if I happen to consume a sugary/salty/fatty food.

Do what seems to work for your body.

I agree--moderation and variety is the key.

For mental health reasons I avoid Cauliflower, Brocolli, Brussel Sprouts, Kale - they're all horrible
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

haha, i agree on the cauliflower and kale, but sprouts and broccoli have their good points
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Ok, I admit: sprouts are quite useful for throwing at people
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

haha *throws sprouts at Mr Flibble*
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

BlackCats

Quote Russ View Post
    Me too, I eat them like four times a week. I usually saute them, but they go surprisingly well raw with a slice of cheezly in between two slice of buttered bread. What I then do is cut the bread in half lengthways before eating it. I call it a "sandwich", I make them like all the time.
    (I just laughed a lot at that. This is another very old thread.)

I avoid coffee as I had an allergic reaction to it but I really crave it and I gave in and had a cup the other day and then had stomach cramps until I drank lots of water to get it out of my system.

Kale is repulsive! It has the texture of a brillo pad. I avoid it at all cost.

I don't think I avoid anything else for health reasons, just for taste reasons.

cobweb

i hate Kale too, and Coffee gives me a crampy tum, too, BC, yet i still drink it in moderation.

Miso makes me feel ill, and i have to avoid the Wicken Fen sausages which are way too rich for me to digest properly, same for most beans and legumes actually.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    For mental health reasons I avoid Cauliflower, Brocolli, Brussel Sprouts, Kale - they're all horrible
    You just listed my top 4 vegetables right there.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Never tried Kale but I adore Broccoli, Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts - the latter of which is one of my highlights of Christmas dinner
    vegan and proud.

I had sprouts tonight!

I'm now happily tooting away.

i hate brussel sprouts. i ate them once and made me feel sick. the same goes with a lot of kinds of kale... i like cauliflower the most when it´s raw, it might be slightly steamed, but no more.

but something like alfalfa or broccoli sprouts i DO love!!!! those sprouts i just love! ok, and usual brokkoli i also like. which changed since being vegan LOL

and mushrooms... total NoGo. never liked them, made me feel sick and by accident at an allergy test i found out i am also allergic to them.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Cauliflower is really tasty in a hot curry, also nice in a salad with dressing.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

refined sugar
    artificial sweeteners
    caffeine
    alcohol
    saturated fat
    perservatives
    white bread
    too much soy
    deep fried stuff

I don't see the deal with PB or any other nut butter though... they're too yummy to give up. And mushrooms? frankly, I don't see the problem with thore either. what's the big deal? I always thought mushrooms were good...

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Nam nam. Can I have yours? Especially the brussels?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

i avoid the following for the most part:

white bread & pasta
    high fructose corn syrup
    caffeine

french fries... the high temperatures by which they are cooked create acrylamide, a horrible carcinogen.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Well I am TRYING to follow an acid/alkaline diet as well as being gluten-free and, of course, vegan too. - apart from this week, i've fallen off the rails a bit..... have to be good again!!!
    there are lots of vegan foods that are bad for us.

we need to keep our bodies alkaline by avoiding acidic foods (such as wheat, peanuts, mushrooms - a few mentioned here) and many more... have a read of this.... I tested my pH levels about 6 months ago and again last month and i'm getting nearer to being alkaline. apparently disease cannot survive in an alkaline body.
    interesting stuff..... http://www.ph-ion.com/

No offense or anything, but stuff like this, keeping your alkaline or undergoing ten day fasts to purge your colon sound like pseudoscience to me, like somebody's just trying to make a dishonest buck. I could be wrong though.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    What an interesting list.

I personally don't avoid anything that is vegan and edible for "health" reasons.

I do avoid foods because I don't like their taste/texture/or politics.

Just about everything else is fair game.
    ^ I concur!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I don't totally forbid myself foods on health grounds. I try to avoid eating too much of anything... but yeah, a bit of what you fancy is generally not going to harm you in moderation.

Quote Lord Perennialist View Post
    No offense or anything, but stuff like this, keeping your alkaline or undergoing ten day fasts to purge your colon sound like pseudoscience to me, like somebody's just trying to make a dishonest buck. I could be wrong though.

yeah you are wrong. read up on it....it's fascinating stuff. when u get a fish tank apparently you have to keep the water and the right pH or they'll die....same applies to us. acidic bodies get ill. alkaline ones don't.

My problem is that while explaining the whole acidic alkaline thing, the website you linked to automatically tries to sell you stuff... including alkaline kits and that sort of thing. it just sound to me like some group trying to convince you about something that may or may not be true and then trying to sell you stuff off your conviction. i think thats dishonest business.

My problem is that while explaining the whole acidic alkaline thing, the website you linked to automatically tries to sell you stuff... including alkaline kits and that sort of thing. it just sound to me like some group trying to convince you about something that may or may not be true and then trying to sell you stuff off your conviction. i think thats dishonest business.

point taken...maybe it was a bad link to choose

maybe this lot can convince you...
    http://acidalkalinediet.com/forum/

they're not all vegan tho....

I try not to eat too much fried food and sweets. That's about it really.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

I don't eat white sugar, flour, wheat, chemical/extracted ingredients or processed foods (fake meats, soy products etc.). Don't deep fry food and only cook in olive oil (or I would use coconut oil if I could afford it). I basically try to stick to wholefoods. Oh and I've stopped drinking tea/coffee...gave it up for a while and then had a green tea which made me really jittery so I decided I was better off without it.
    I've had some issues with food restriction and for a while avoid anything packaged and tried to make everything I used from scratch but realistically it just made me miserable and overwhelmed...and some things are very healthy like miso and tamari, so I use these. Also I have been using maple syrup lately, and had somethings with agave in...I do try to avoid extracted ingredients but in reality I think it is important not to restrict yourself too much as it can be less healthy to be worried about every thing you eat than what the food actually does for you. Also I have started eating rice noodles and pasta,just because I do enjoy them as an occasional thing, and I've started to feel like I should have what I want, could get hit by a bus tomorrow...
    I've been in the situation before, and still can feel like, I can't eat anything because everything is bad for me, but in reality food is GOOD for me. Theres just this voice in my head which says if someone avoids somehting for health then I should too because it will make me healthier, even though it actually wont.
    Ideally I want to be in a place where I can eat anything wholefood and enjoy it without worrying. We have livers, kidneys etc to cope with toxins but it takes a lot to clear out the mental 'toxins' you can get from thinking too much...
    Sorry this isnt really related to the thread, just came into my mind as I read it as some peoples lists seem very restricted and felt I had to get out how it made me feel.

Oh, on the cooked fats issue, I have been wondering lately about the oils in nuts and seeds. Some sources say eat them raw, others say cook them because onces theyre shelled they start to go off but roasting or toasting them will stop this, but I cant find anywhere a source that will tell me the maximum heat a nut or seed should be heated to. Does anyone know? Ive just been using a lowish heat on my dehydrator but sometimes think this is leaving them 'out' for longer in a warmness that might actually be worse for them...?

Quote Daffodil View Post
    point taken...maybe it was a bad link to choose

maybe this lot can convince you...
    http://acidalkalinediet.com/forum/

they're not all vegan tho....
    Thanks Daffodil, this sight looks much better. I'll read into it. My interest has been piqued. Good luck on turning your body alkaline... I don't know if I'll ever try it... that combined with veganism, I don't know what I would eat!

Windfall

Quote Kate1978 View Post
    I try not to eat too much fried food and sweets. That's about it really.
    same!

Thanks Daffodil, this sight looks much better. I'll read into it. My interest has been piqued. Good luck on turning your body alkaline... I don't know if I'll ever try it... that combined with veganism, I don't know what I would eat!

it's very difficult. I try to keep alkaline at least 70% of the time. for now....

I almost never use margarine and related spreads because the high level of bad fats raises cholesterol, producing a variety of harmful health effects.

I also tend to avoid sweets, as the high glycemic load can be both nauseating and fattening - more fattening than fat, it seems.
    When people finally realize that their appetite for animals is upsetting the planet's balance, will they change, or even care?

Jippia

There is one thing I really avoid by all means, which is alcohol. There have been enough men in our families with alcohol problems and I know I can get addicted to something very easily. Just to protect myself and those I love, I decided to never drink alcohol. I even try to work around the wine and other stuff in recipes. I am also not a coffee drinker. Food that is too hot and spicy makes me end up with bowel problems. I always choose mild or medium dishes at Asian and Central American restaurants.

It's sad that alcohol (and/or its effects) can be addictive, true Jippia. But millions of people enjoy moderate amounts of alcoholic drinks and don't get addicted. It's not alcohol that's the problem, it's people!

Of the few beers I like that are vegan, I really enjoy them but hate getting drunk, so there's that counterbalance. I love the taste of a good cloudy German or Dutch lager - but not particularly the cumulative effects. And some red and white wines are simply gorgeous.

You make your own choices - mine is to appreciate good vegan wine and beer in reasonable quantities and in the right context. I've had some beer and wine in the house for months and never wanted it, having had a drink once or twice a week in a pub, chatting with friends.

To keep to the topic though - are spirits (the alcoholic kind) vegan? I avoid them because I hate the taste but, out of interest, which common brands are vegan?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Jippia

I am not against alcohol in moderation and I wll be the last person in the world to tell you or other people what to do in regard to food and drink, but like you say, it is the people and I know I am an easy victim for addictions. It is just a decision I have made for myself. I do not really need it either and I have never had the desire to try and like it, too. I was a very young teenager when I made the decision. There are brands of wine and other alcoholic beverages that are vegan, but I have no idea which ones are.

Quote DavidT View Post
    To keep to the topic though - are spirits (the alcoholic kind) vegan? I avoid them because I hate the taste but, out of interest, which common brands are vegan?

Most clear spirits are vegan (ie vodka, bacardi etc), mostly u must avoid anything red..... but i only ever drink vodka or pernod anyway in the way of spritis.

The only 'spirits' (using the term extremely loosely) I've had and been able to stomach in my life are Southern Comfort, port and sherry but it's years since we had any in the house.

Anyone know the vegan status of those three?

^ as regards sherry i know that harvey's bristol creme is vegan (and i love it )

Quote Daffodil View Post
    ^ as regards sherry i know that harvey's bristol creme is vegan (and i love it )
    Really, honestly, truly? Wow. Must tell the OH. I warned her off all stuff like that. Indeed, there's one of her birthday presents...

Quote DavidT View Post
    Really, honestly, truly? Wow. Must tell the OH. I warned her off all stuff like that. Indeed, there's one of her birthday presents...

yep. check the Animal free Shopper book.

I avoid fake sweeteners, all preservatives, white bread, white flour, white pasta, sugar, sodas, and all sweets. Luckily I don't have a sweet tooth

I read recently about someone who gave up bread and lost a good bit of unwanted weight fairly quickly.

I love bread (make my own and buy good wholemeal/sourdough bread) but sometimes I think I eat too much of it. I'm seriously considering giving up bread for a while.

The trouble is, I cycle to and from work and get extremely hungry; in fact, I'm hungry most of the day till I get home and make a proper meal with spuds and stuff. Bread is a good filler, especially at lunch time with some soup. I sometime replace it with rice but bread's so flippin' convenient!

Has anyone on this board suddenly decided to give up bread/wheat? Not through allergy problems - though that's an interesting topic in itself - but simply as a change in lifestyle? Any experiences?

I limit my bread to whole grain sprouted bread. If I'm really hungry and need something quick, I'll have a slice with peanut butter on it. Some days I eat no bread, others I eat one or two slices. I fill up on legumes and rarely eat potatoes. If you work out though, you need a fair amount of carbs!

Ooh, this thread is really interesting...but kinda saddening, because loads of people have written bad things about some of my favourite things! Am now slightly worried about my consumption of peanut butter and mushrooms! Aggh!

Personally, I avoid a lot of things, mainly because I'm just so fussy! Sometimes for health benefits, and other times because I think they make me feel 'heavy'...oh, and some things are just too damned expensive when living on a budget!

I have two different but almost the same lists…hope that’s okay!

Avoid:

- Anything non-vegan (obviously!)
    - Salt: I won’t add it to anything, or put it into anything I’m cooking unless it’s absolutely vital…but I don’t really cook anything that includes it, so I’m generally okay!
    - Bread: It makes me feel ‘heavy’ and want to binge. I had one moment of weakness when I ate brown pitas with lots of baked beans, but since then I’ve completely avoided all forms of bread…
    - Spicy Foods: Basically, I’m damned fussy…
    - Refined Sugars: Won’t add them to anything I don’t have to, like with salt.
    - Sweetener: They sound pretty bad for your health, to be honest…
    - Eating out anywhere: Yeah, pretty obvious why…we have no vegan-friendly cafés/restaurants nearby. Perhaps when I move there’ll be more, and I’ll start doing so!
    - Alcohol: To be honest, I'm just not that bothered about it...
    - Oils: For fussy-ness and health...

Severely Limit:

- Fats, especially Nuts: I have some, because I like to treat myself, and they’re yummy! But they’re also very fatty, so unfortunately, not too many for me!
    - Carbohydrates! I eat far too many, and am trying to cut as much Carb as possible from my diet! This sort of ties in with my next limited eat…
    - Wheat and Gluten: I’m really trying to cut down, then cut out wheat and gluten, because I think it’ll be good for my health…
    - Tomato Ketchup: Love this stuff, have it with absolutely everything. Must. Stop.
    - Processed Foods: They is BAD!

I think that's it :P

Rocket Queen

I also am a ketchup obsessed vegan!

Crisps 'n' Chips over here! or Chips 'n' French fries stateside! Nowt's of limit just not all the time!

I'm quite surprised at all the foods people limit for health.
    Wow.

I don't limit anything that's not vegan. High fat, fried foods, with lots of salt are my milieu. That and peanut butter on bananas.

I just eat stuff that makes me feel good, and is fair trade (when possible), and always vegan.

I actually wonder if avoiding so many foods always brings about optimal health. Salt, for example. Why avoid it (unless you already have pre-existing high blood pressure)? From conversations with doctors, and reading up on articles, salt is actually fine for health for most people.
    context is everything

...double post...
    Last edited by xrodolfox; Oct 19th, 2009 at 02:17 AM.
    context is everything

Mahk

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    Salt, for example. Why avoid it (unless you already have pre-existing high blood pressure)? From conversations with doctors, and reading up on articles, salt is actually fine for health for most people.
    I completely disagree.

No other primate or land animal in the world salts their food. It was a bad habit, along with smoking, that we humans picked up along the way. It is true all animals need to consume a very small amount of sodium daily, but this level is easily found in unprocessed fruits and vegetables, even if you never touch a single grain of sodium chloride (salt) in your entire life.

Another myth and common marketing claim is that "sea salt" (as opposed to the slightly more common mined salt) is magically better in some way; it isn't. It has almost exactly the same sodium content per weight, and a tiny trace of "nutrients" that are inconsequential to us in the quantities that we consume salt (unless you eat sea salt by the cupfuls!) As for it "tasting better", well I once read about (but unfortunately can no longer locate) a double blind taste test which proved it to be in distinguishable by taste alone, despite "taste experts' " claims otherwise. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride. Himalayan, monk blessed, and Feng Shui enhanced salts have just as much sodium and are just as bad for you. I'm not saying we all should be completly salt free, but the majority of people eat way too much sodium and if you think never touching the salt shaker at the table will cure you of this, think again, that constitutes only 6% of most American's sodium intake, 94% was already in the food before it reaches the table and usually before it even reaches your home.
    Last edited by Mahk; Oct 19th, 2009 at 04:53 AM.

Ugh. I'm still having my salt.
    Most of my food isn't processed. I guess my health isn't that important to cut out the joy from eating a lot of salt. I'll talk to my Dr. friends about the WebMD article and tease out his and her opinions on this. Frankly, they could tell me salt is a silent killer, and I'd still add it to my home-made artichoke dip, or to my fried eggplant, or my tempura tofu. If salt were to kill me right away, then I might care. But I'm going to check in with those Dr. friends. I trust them more than WebMD.
    context is everything

Quote Festered View Post
    I also am a ketchup obsessed vegan!
    High Five!!!

It's just SO good! And so versatile...it just goes with anything!

i put ketchup on my ketchup.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."