Thread: Mung beans?

Default Mung beans?

Anyone got any good recipes / idea for mung beans?

Default Re: Mung beans?

I usually sprout them - they're delicious like that. You can either eat the sprouts raw in sandwiches and salads or use them in stir-fries.

Thanks Harpy - can you sprout the dried ones though? How?

Yes, you have to soak them overnight (or for a few hours) first. I use boiling water - you'd think that would kill them but it actually gets them going (I think it's because they have tough skins - other stuff for sprouting I soak in cold water.)

Then you do the usual thing of rinsing them under (cold!) running water twice a day and they're ready after a couple of days. You can do it in a jar although I use one of those plastic tray things.

You don't actually have to sprout them of course but I always seem to.

ETA here's some sprouting instructions but I'll let you off the activity sheet
    http://www.vegsoc.org/youth/school/ks2/notes3.html

EyetagainTA that I sprout everything on the kitchen window sill rather than a warm dry place and it seems to work fine.

RubyDuby

cool Harpy thanks. I didn't know you could sprout dry beans. I'm always worried my dogs arent getting enough nutrients out of the boiled ones I make them! (and maybe I'll actually like them that way too!) Can I do that with all dried legumes???
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I don't think you're meant to do it with kidney beans because of some toxin that they occasionally contain (which means they need to be boiled hard for 10 minutes before eating them). Other than that - I've succeeded in sprouting chick peas, lentils and aduki beans, and no doubt there are others you can sprout.

I mostly tend to do mung beans and then seeds such as alfalfa, radish, broccoli and so on. You can do shelled sunflower seeds as well.

There's a list here:

http://www.primalseeds.org/sprouting.htm

I don't know how digestible your dog will find them raw, even sprouted - I find I need to cook chickpea sprouts a bit but the others I've mentioned are OK for me raw. My cats seem to like stuff like alfalfa sprouts.

RubyDuby

I always process everything I feed them with a hand blender... do u think i should I boil them anyway?

Not quite sure what you mean, Ruby.

You could try them on raw sprouts (apart from kidney beans!) but I wouldn't give them too many at once at first, just in case it has an, er, untoward effect on their tums.

other than sprouting they're pretty nice if you use them alongside other beans in a sort of cottage pie type thing (beans in some sort of ace and tastily concocted sauce and loads of mashed spuds/sweet spuds/parsnips <-- combination of all or any on top)

curries..dahl type stuff..boil em up..combine with other stuff..make some burgers
    Last edited by emmapresley; Sep 17th, 2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: i can't believe i put 'n' instread of and. *rolls eyes*
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

RubyDuby

I mean I blend them up to be more digestable. I figured if they were sprouted and raw they's still have lots of nutrients, and if they were blended down to a pulp, maybe the dogs could digest them... oh well.. the good thing is (good thing??) I have to scoop the dog poo so I'll pretty much see if they've been digested. I guess I'll have to experiment.

OIC. Well there's one way to find out, as you say...

Sprouting certainly is meant to make them easier to digest, so it could just be me that has the problem with the chick peas.

Let us know how the pooches like them, will you?

Thanks again all, cottage pie sounds good too!

So are we also testing the fertilisation properties of doggie doodoos for sprouting beans?

I hope not!

The curry idea is good as well - there's an Indian veggie restaurant here, the Kastoori, where they do a great mung bean curry (only on certain nights of the week though).

Unfortunately I've no idea how it's made but there seem to be a few zillion recipes on the web, including this one http://chachiskitchen.blogspot.com/2...ean-curry.html
    which might be similar as the Kastoori people also arrived via east Africa I think.

RubyDuby

I volunteer to perform the experiments and let you all know how it comes out

I wish I had a good recipe to add here... but alas.

sugarmouse

I have cooked and blended them with a little water ( as you would with chickpeas for hummus) then added pinch of herbs/spices, diced tomato and red pepper, use in sandwiches or as a dip

Mung beans are great in stir fries and chow mein or fried rice.
    Last edited by bugaboo; Sep 18th, 2007 at 05:29 AM. Reason: i'm all confused
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I volunteer to perform the experiments and let you all know how it comes out

I wish I had a good recipe to add here... but alas.
    Ruby without wishing to dwell on such an unsavoury idea, I read your recipe comment underneath and wondered what on earth...!

RubyDuby

yeah... probably should have added more of an explanation on there! I was just trying to sway back to the original post!

Kimberlily1983

Old thread, I see, but will respond anyway. Was also wondering if dried mung beans could be sprouted. We bought some a little while ago and we weren't sure if it would work, glad to know it should!

Was also wondering what to do with them. Stir-fries and sandwiches it is!

I imagine you could also use them where you would use any beans, e.g in soups and stews and (once cooked or sprouted) in salads, Kimberlilly.

I've read you don't even have to soak them before cooking but I probably would (if starting with dried as opposed to sprouted beans) as it usually makes things a bit more digestible and reduces the cooking time.

Kimberlily1983

Quote harpy View Post
    I imagine you could also use them where you would use any beans, e.g in soups and stews and (once cooked or sprouted) in salads, Kimberlilly.

I've read you don't even have to soak them before cooking but I probably would (if starting with dried as opposed to sprouted beans) as it usually makes things a bit more digestible and reduces the cooking time.
    Thanks, I'd been meaning to do that, too, but sprouting them interested me a bit more. Oh, and I always presoak my dried beans (and lately that's all we eat - we've transitioned away from cans).

As mentioned previously, mung beans can be cooked like stew. Soak them in water for a few hours and boil for 40 min to one hour. In about 1 tbsp oil, roast powder spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric . Then stir fry with the spices, coarsely shredded leafy vegetables for example, cabbage or the asian leafy vegetable called bok choy (in Australia) . Even carrots are suitable for this preparation. When vegetables are tender add the boiled mung with the soup and boil for a 1- 2 minutes. Add ground black pepper and salt to taste. Enjoy!

This preparation is one of my favourites-- very tasty and nutritious.
    Respect for all living entities

This recipe was posted by RachelJune in the South Indian recipe thread, and I make it quite often:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...indian+recipes. (It's a little over half way down the page).

It's quick and super good. I serve over brown rice.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I don't usually soak any grains or pulses before sprouting - just let them get on with it.

My favourite are alfalfa and chick peas.

Soya beans are good when the sprout is very young, though they do take time to sprout.

We're just trying to sprout beetroot seeds, but nothing seems to be happening...
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I think some people, including me, who talked about soaking the mung beans are talking about how to shorten boiling time when making soup or stew.
    Respect for all living entities

Quote Jivattatva View Post
    I think some people, including me, who talked about soaking the mung beans are talking about how to shorten boiling time when making soup or stew.
    No, it was Harpy who said he pours boiling water over them and soaks them before sprouting!

Soaking before cooking definitely helps.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

How long do mung beans take to sprout without soaking, David? It may depend a bit on what you're growing them in but with the perforated trays I use it might be hard to get enough water into them I would think.

Beetroot seeds take a long time to sprout - several days - even if soaked, and when they do sprout the results aren't that great IME because it's hard to separate the horny seed cases from the sprouts. I'm currently growing some in a saucer of soil and will try harvesting them with scissors.

I'm a "girl" by the way, not that it matters!

Quote harpy View Post
    How long do mung beans take to sprout without soaking, David?
    Not long - a few days; I've never really thought about it. All sprouts take different lengths of time and it's never worried me (till trying beetroot!).

Quote harpy View Post
    It may depend a bit on what you're growing them in but with the perforated trays I use it might be hard to get enough water into them I would think.
    We have dark translucent trays with thin slots and a bottom tray to catch the drips. I turn the tap on and let plenty of water run through, shaking the trays a little. It seems to work, wetting everything.

Quote harpy View Post
    Beetroot seeds take a long time to sprout - several days - even if soaked, and when they do sprout the results aren't that great IME because it's hard to separate the horny seed cases from the sprouts. I'm currently growing some in a saucer of soil and will try harvesting them with scissors.
    Interesting, thanks! Funnily enough, beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables too.

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm a "girl" by the way, not that it matters!
    Apologies; stupid me meant to check somehow and forgot. I nearly put s/he...

I would think it matters to someone that you're a girl, no?

We harpies generally are female

I'll try not soaking the mung beans sometime and see how it goes. I quite like to have some ready-soaked though because it's handy if I want to throw them into something I'm cooking - doesn't matter if they've actually sprouted, they hardly need any cooking that way.

Hi again, member of the opposite sex going by the name of harpy.

In effect, when I put dry things to sprout and douse them with water, I suppose I'm soaking them anyway!

No luck so far with the beetroot sprouts.

I made some burgers last night using a burger mix I make up myself and I added fresh onion, sage and sprouted soya beans. Wonderful and the beans were almost like peanuts in size and texture, but with lower fat of course.

I was just re-reading Stephen Walsh's excellent Plant Based Nutrition and Health and it looks like most grains and pulses are better slightly sprouted (even if they're to cook), turning phytates into bio-available products.

Interested to read about the beetroot seeds as I had quite fancied trying sprouting them - don't think I'll bother now.

Love mung bean sprouts though lovely with Tahini; often thought Mung-Bean would be a good name for a cat...

David, you could try putting your beetroot seeds in a plastic bag in an airing cupboard or similar - that seems to make them accelerate a bit, but you have to remember to keep rinsing (I didn't when I tried this and I had to throw them away). The ones I'm growing in compost look OK although they have quite big leaves on them.