Thread: I don't feel as hungry!

Default I don't feel as hungry!

Okay, when I first became vegan I was eating non-stop and I was always hungry. But now, I eat smaller meals and smaller snacks and feel full even after a small bit of granola. Is it possible my stomach is shrinking? Have you guys experienced the same thing?

I just don't eat as much as I used to. Especially on the weekend when I am doing a lot of things outside or keeping myself busy away from my desk job.

Have you lovely folks experienced the same thing?
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Default Re: I don't feel as hungry!

Yes!

I haven't been as active recently, though, so I haven't needed to eat very many calories maybe.

Bugaboo and Matt I know what you mean.
    When I first became vegan I noticed that I didn't get really really hungry as I used to do. I stopped waking up with hunger pangs in the morning as I had done for years! Then I went through a mad cooking adventure but now after 15 months I'm eating smaller amounts more frequently. Since I have started doing more sport I feel as though I have gained a load of energy, more than I have ever had.

It's probably because vegan food contains more fiber. Fiber keeps your blood sugar stable, which in turn keeps you feeling satisfied longer.

Quote Kyla View Post
    It's probably because vegan food contains more fiber. Fiber keeps your blood sugar stable, which in turn keeps you feeling satisfied longer.

I agree with Kyla. I've only been vegan for three months. I rarely feel hungry. Quantity wise, I don't think I'm eating any less. I may be eating greater quantities... It's probably from the fiber. Regardless, I've lost 14 lbs. (6.35 Kg) in just under three months!

Lane

Quote GoneVegan View Post
    Regardless, I've lost 14 lbs. (6.35 Kg) in just under three months!

Lane
    woo! nice job gone vegan!

Nope I feel hungry all the time and if I gave in to my needs I'd be the size of a house.
    Silent but deadly :p

Are you eating much fibre at the moment Hemlock?

I have found that if I am eating healthy I have less of an appetite, since going vegan I pay more attention to avoiding processed food (my diet before was atrocious). Things like MSG, caffeine, sweeteners and excessive salt cause my appetite to grow.

I dont get hungry when i am stressed. Have you got a lot on your mind right now?

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Nope I feel hungry all the time and if I gave in to my needs I'd be the size of a house.
    I seriously don't understand what you're talking about Hemlock. From your picture, you look like a delicate slim woman. Not the beast you make yourself out to be. Go ahead and indulge a bit...
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

I am also constantly hungry. Even after eating a huge meal I am hungry again in 2-3 hours. Coffee is the only thing that makes me feel less hungry. I can't tell anyone who isn't vegan either, or they joke that I need to eat some meat. (Jerks!!!)
    wings are for flying not frying

Quote creativegan View Post
    I am also constantly hungry. Even after eating a huge meal I am hungry again in 2-3 hours. Coffee is the only thing that makes me feel less hungry. I can't tell anyone who isn't vegan either, or they joke that I need to eat some meat. (Jerks!!!)

I hear ya...I am always hungry no matter what I eat! sometimes I eat really really bad too....the good thing is for some reason I havn't gained any weight, i guess I actually need the calories that I am consuming... go figure.

ya and anytime I tell someone they always say, thats cause you don't eat anything! are they crazy!?! I gorge myself!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

in general i'm not as hungry.
    but i've associated it to being more conscious of my monthly cycle than my veganism.
    that said, my early vegan diet didn't contain nearly as much fiber as it does now, and i most certainly am not as hungry now, most of the time.

on a slight side note,
    my friend, who is an omni, is 6'3, and although he'll eat anything, has considered being veg, and yet says that when he doesn't eat meat he is still very hungry. me, being only 5'1'', couldn't really give him advice on experience, because, well, i simply don't need to eat as much as him !
    does anyone know any suggestions i can give him ?

well i still pig out as much as ever, but since being vegan i've lost about 2 1/2 stone (35 lbs). So I'm happy.

LuVegan15

Yes, I have noticed a change in how hungry I feel since becoming a vegan. When I first became one, i was never hungry and the thought of food even made me feel sick =/ but now i'm better and I eat the average amount.

Quote jem View Post
    on a slight side note,
    my friend, who is an omni, is 6'3, and although he'll eat anything, has considered being veg, and yet says that when he doesn't eat meat he is still very hungry. me, being only 5'1'', couldn't really give him advice on experience, because, well, i simply don't need to eat as much as him !
    does anyone know any suggestions i can give him ?
    Maybe when he isn't eating meat, he isn't eating a full meal. Like just a salad or a side dish instead of something with substance like beans. Beans usually do it for me when I'm starved.

It's hard to tell with me because I went back to veganism only about 2 weeks ago and with that, went to having 5-6 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones and a few snacks, so it feels like I'm eating more but that may not be the case. However, I've noticed other positive changes. The biggest one is that I have lost many of my cravings to binge on junk food. Part of that might be because I'm no longer limiting my choice of foods beyond no animal products. For example, I'm not limiting the whole grains (which I love and I was doing before) and I have a bit of dark chocolate every night which is a treat but in moderation. I decided that trying to lose these 15 pounds I gained in the last year or so by dieting is only going to backfire on me and it's better to focus on whole vegan foods, lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains and beans and tofu with some treats in between but not all out junk food. It's working well so far.

I also notice that though I make pretty good sized portions of the meals, I'm more able to determine if I'm full and leave some food on my plate instead of eating it because it's there.

Tam

cherrywisp

I actually noticed this too...and it was kind of a shock when I did. I suddenly realized I hadn't been ravenously starving in weeks. Hahah.

I did realize that I needed to eat more whole grains though, I was mainly only eating fruits and veggies with maybe two servings of whole grains in a day...when I eat more whole grains I'm less hungry.

However, even when I wasn't getting enough whole grains I wasn't as starving as I used to be by a long shot.

I could eat junk food endlessly, it never filled me up.

I don't feel hungry, either. I' think is because the fiber content and the amount of food.
    In my case i need to reduce the volume of food because i eat to much.

The stomach as the size of the fist 50 ml more or less, this is why many people have her bellies bloated including myself, we eat to much in one sit, and this is hard for the stomach to process.

I think eating small meals, or, eating when hungry, are better then stuffed our-selfs with a large amounts of foods.
    Sometimes the process is emotional and not hungry.

But who knows maybe i'm wrong...