Thread: "Too late to avoid global warming"

Default "Too late to avoid global warming"

Articlke in UK's The Independentof 19/09/2007: http://environment.independent.co.uk...cle2976669.ece

Default Re: "Too late to avoid global warming"

That's so scary. What a shame the earth took so long to wake up to the issues.

Greed is why nothing has been done and greed will be the reason we all die in the end.
    Some idiot wanting designer everything and a big 4x4 car will always win over living a green frugal life.
    Big businesses don't give a stuff about global warming, all that matters is profit. Because of that we will all die out in the end.
    Silent but deadly :p

Have to agree with you Hemlock, as depressing as it is.

One thing that concerns me, is how everybody including big business is getting into bed with the global warming/climate change lobby. There's Al Gore with his dvd 'An Inconvenient Truth' yet he doesn't mention a truth that is inconvenient to him - the disastrous effects of the meat industry on the environment. Governments seem to be taking advantage of the climate change business to promote the nuclear issue as 'clean fuel' etc. Following a money trail is quite interesting. The other day there was a scientist on the radio talking about his work with squirrels, and couldn't get a grant until he called it 'squirrels and global warming'.

Another thing is that people laugh at those who made the dvd 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' - I was told the maker was laughed off the screens in the UK. However, as someone who has always been the odd one out, it is my view that very often people, even going back to Galileo, are laughed at when their views differ from the norm.

People say to me that we have the evidence before our eyes, certainly there are floods where I live, following a drought that lasted several months - which people say was the worst for four decades (so what happened 5 decades ago?), and there are tornadoes etc. But I remember even in my early childhood, my father telling us of all the people who drowned in China in the Yellow River floods (this is before tv of course). So catastrophes are not new.

IS there some conspiracy here?
    Eve

global warming is b.s....the earth goes through temperature changes on its own...example: ICE AGE???

Think about it..people are freaking out
    we cant poredict the temperature change in the future thats for mother nature to decide
    !!

Quote ImVeganOUT!!! View Post
    global warming is b.s....the earth goes through temperature changes on its own...example: ICE AGE???

we cant poredict the temperature change in the future thats for mother nature to decide
    !!
    Sorry but the vast majority of scientists disagree with you. Global warming is not BS.

Not trying to start an argument, as I agree with the global warming theory, but alot of scientists would disagree with our views on vivisection and say it is bullshit when to us it quite obviously isn't.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote Risker View Post
    Sorry but the vast majority of scientists disagree with you. Global warming is not BS.

Thats of the scientist that they do show you..they dont want to advertise the scientist that say global warming is not true

although i dont think any human can change/predict wats gonna happen in the future

how much you wanna bet that theyre gonna start saying that the next ice age is coming

i think people are overreacting..and i really dont think that all the cars put together can destroy the earth

and i also think that there is a alot worse stuff going on than that we need to take care of first off

It's all about the big dollar sign, and of course people panic (look how Americans have been panicking since 9/11 - that is SEVEN years ago). But as to climate change, my own view is that the proponents want an excuse to get countries to use nuclear for power, etc. emzy1985 is right in my view, a lot of scientists would disagree with our views on vivisection and say it is bullshit when to us it quite obviously isn't.
    Eve

You are right with the nuclear power thing Eve! They are pushing for that big time in th UK when there are so many other ways to get power. I mean we are an island for goodness sake!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

The leaders of the world are doing nothing about global warming, they just make gestures to make we slaves think they care.

The real problems the slave masters of the world face is that oil is part of the web of enslavement, they want their slaves chained, chained to fossil fuels and power they control, chained to medicine and products that do more to kill than to cure, chained by debt to live as indentured servants to their banks, owning no land so they have to buy toxic food that they supply.

When that guy invented the water powered engine twenty years ago he was offered 1 billion to bury it, when that didn't work they threatened to kill his family and since then nothing more is heard of him. The same media that reported it never mentions him, no doubt at the instruction of the masters. Faced with global warming you'd think global leaders would be falling over themselves to get that invention up and running, but they can't have people producing their own power, they can't have the chains that bind the slave cut. So what they do it build more nuclear, they make filling stations for hydrogen they produce and gamble with the lives of the slave billions that their creeping changes will work in time. They'd rather see the slaves die before freeing them.

Until people wake up and realize that they are slaves they will live under tyranny. The people that run the world, the fat cats , bankers, politicians and all associated scum are worse than mafia. They live off the suffering of others. They create fake democracy where they have to, to hide the fact that they actually bring oppression.

What I do think they fear at the moment is that the people may realise at some point what they actually are, when they're drowning in the floods, or starving in the cities, or dying in the storms, the people may realise just how duped they've been and get rid of them in time.

Tin-Tin

!!

im gonna have to disagree as well im afraid

it is true that the ice age
    and things like that come around on their own
    but the truth is
    we ARE helping it a long

the point is . . . that YES it IS going to happen
    but when
    and thats when us old humans come into the equation
    the release of billions of tonnes more greenhouse gases than would ever have been released by nature

so yeah
    its borderline
    we all have to accept it was going to happen anyway
    but at the same time we have to hold our hands up and say
    "but it's our fault its already well on its way"

!!

i used to think that then i looked into it more and realised that i was wishful thinking.
    humans just got to greedy and destroyed everything and now most are to comfortable in there own ways.
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

wouldn't an ice age mean the ice wouldn't be mealting?
    because it seems to be mealting just my observation i spose it could quickly change with the weather as crazy as it is.
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

Global warming is accepted as FACT, it's taken 30 years for campaigners to get governments to wake up to this and now folk are complaining because business and governments are doing something about it! lol
    Sorry folks but it's naive in the extreme to think that people will change without profit, if companies are now making money out of global warming BUT HELPING COUNTERACT IT AT THE SAME TIME then so be it.

As for nuclear power, well all my life i've been anti using it, all i've ever heard is how destructive radiation is and scientists saying how risky it is, and yet all the evidence from Chernobyl, the worst nuclear accident in history, is showing nature has recovered to a large degree in 20 odd years????????
    I remember at the time scientists telling us the death toll could run into the millions (Scotland was directly in the path of the fallout) but the last i heard the figure was expected to be in the low thousands!!! Explain that one? Maybe it's not the big evil we've all been told and it's certainly a sure way to provide the power we're gonna need in the future.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote magpie View Post
    The leaders of the world are doing nothing about global warming, they just make gestures to make we slaves think they care.

The real problems the slave masters of the world face is that oil is part of the web of enslavement, they want their slaves chained, chained to fossil fuels and power they control, chained to medicine and products that do more to kill than to cure, chained by debt to live as indentured servants to their banks, owning no land so they have to buy toxic food that they supply.

When that guy invented the water powered engine twenty years ago he was offered 1 billion to bury it, when that didn't work they threatened to kill his family and since then nothing more is heard of him. The same media that reported it never mentions him, no doubt at the instruction of the masters. Faced with global warming you'd think global leaders would be falling over themselves to get that invention up and running, but they can't have people producing their own power, they can't have the chains that bind the slave cut. So what they do it build more nuclear, they make filling stations for hydrogen they produce and gamble with the lives of the slave billions that their creeping changes will work in time. They'd rather see the slaves die before freeing them.

Until people wake up and realize that they are slaves they will live under tyranny. The people that run the world, the fat cats , bankers, politicians and all associated scum are worse than mafia. They live off the suffering of others. They create fake democracy where they have to, to hide the fact that they actually bring oppression.

What I do think they fear at the moment is that the people may realise at some point what they actually are, when they're drowning in the floods, or starving in the cities, or dying in the storms, the people may realise just how duped they've been and get rid of them in time.
    I couldn't agree more! Have you heard of NWO theory?

Pilaf

Even the most hardcore oil exec would be foolish to try to bury alternative fuels - especially when we'll reach Peak Oil within as few as a couple of decades.

Zero

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Global warming is accepted as FACT, it's taken 30 years for campaigners to get governments to wake up to this and now folk are complaining because business and governments are doing something about it! lol
    Sorry folks but it's naive in the extreme to think that people will change without profit, if companies are now making money out of global warming BUT HELPING COUNTERACT IT AT THE SAME TIME then so be it.
    Large business and government are doing very little in my opinion, they are using this to make more money as you say, but are doing as little as possible for the cause and not improving in areas where it makes them even slightly less profitable.

Let us consider the fact that Co2 is the main issue that is being focused upon, why is no one focusing on the fact that not cutting down acres upon acres of trees every day would help with this issue? Products that are sourced from those trees can be made via more renewable and sustainable vegetation, however it's just not as profitable or as easy, you are right they could simply make the consumer pay more for these more complicated methods, but why would they bother when they can continue getting their raw materials extra cheap from 3rd world workers who are being underpaid for the materials.

The concept of "grow or die" for these businesses is a large part of our capitalist society and they are only concerned about making bigger profits at the expense of anything else.

It's not that it's too late, it's that they just arent really concerning themselves with it.

!!

I am not sure what your background is ImveganOUT!!! and you are most certainly entitled to an opinion regardless of what it is BUT... I am no climate scientist (i am a scientist nevertheless) and I would not be making assumptions like that one when they can have such disastrous effect if you were to be mistaken...

I invite you to watch the following videos:

http://www.bwebcentral.com/blog/3/626
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=mF_anaVcCXg&feature=related

Personally, I am inclined to err on the side of caution. Many of our problems stem from overconsumption and carelessness, so I do what I can: I only use public transportation, bicycle, or foot to get around, I'm vegan, I buy bulk items at my local co-op (You cart in your jars, fill them up, and buy! No waste!), use little processed foodstuffs, drink tap water, and I buy my produce and nuts at the local farmers' market. Doing these things also helps to stimulate the local economy and keeps me personally healthy. The person who can't bring themselves to do even a couple of these things usually rationalizes with selfish convenience and foolish excuses like tradition or habit. It's like the old saying goes: "Waste not, want not."
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

I believe global warming is true...

BUT, even if it's not...I don't see any harm in trying to prevent or slow it...what's the worst that could happen? People become more aware and live greener lives?? *GASP* =)
    ...take it to the bridge...

I used to be a big fan of Al Gore's when An Inconvenient Truth came out. Don't get me wrong - I think the documentary has helped raise global warming awareness a great deal and I'm glad the show was made.

The guy though, is just a huge hypocrite Living in a huge mansion which uses excessive amount of electricity, and he's a meat eater.

Everyones a hypocrite
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    Everyones a hypocrite
    In some way or another yes, everyone is a hypocrite.

Quote Risker View Post
    Everyones a hypocrite
    Yeah, even those of us who try really hard are still doing something wrong, right? But some of us *cough*AlGore*cough* are bigger hypocrites than others.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Zero

Quote Risker View Post
    Everyones a hypocrite
    Classic Risker one liner!

Russ

My (uneducated, uninformed, read 'standard member of public') interpretation is that global warming is an inevitability because it's a naturally occuring phenomenon and the trick is going to be not pushing the temperature any HIGHER when it peaks on its own accord ... so I agree it is too late to prevent it from taking place, just as it's 'too late' to 'avoid' another year spinning around the sun ...

The very fact that there is DEBATE indicates to me that evidence at best is INCONCLUSIVE, though mainstream media outlets like to present these issues """"fairly"""" by giving equal airtime to proponents of BOTH positions even when the scientific community FALLS DOWN MUCH MORE HEAVILY ON ONE SIDE ... Best to err on the side of caution I think ... my suggestion is that we spam as many forums with "STOP GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!11" and watch as many televised rock concerts as possible ...

We're just a fungus on Gaia's foot. She'll be fine.
    We, on the other hand, are f*cked, imo.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

cobweb

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    We're just a fungus on Gaia's foot. She'll be fine.
    We, on the other hand, are f*cked, imo.

how so?

The human race, in the grand scheme of things, will undoubtedly become extinct at some point in the future through natural causes or self inflicted ones or a combination of both imo.

Last one left turn out the light.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I think global warming is a valid issue. I've heard statistics and info and realized its probably either a) a natural fluctuation of the earths temperature that is probably going to again fluctuate lower than it is now or b) is raising beyond this natural fluctuation due to human causes as others have mentioned. I do what I can to protect the environment but I think any huge change at this point is contingent on Americans and Europeans, government legislation, and changing the general population's outlook on their activities related to the environment. Not likely to happen, although it doesn't hurt to do all you can.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Too many people feel that it would be a bother to have to mold there life in such a way that they would be saving the earth. large corperations will aways have us living as there slaves. I can`t see anything getting any better. If you care you are considered a kook these days.

Qaxt

I honestly don't think that it's quite as bad as the doomsayers are saying it is, and I am occasionally doubtful of global warming in its entirety.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be outrageously cautious. If it comes between, "Let's be wrong and see we lived a clean and healthy life," and "Let's be wrong and see we're dead," I'd much rather the former. And either way, all that pollution is definitely not good for the earth, so why not be cleaner anyway?

i beleive in global warming and always have. Back like a decade ago, weather changes were always blamed on Elninia or Elninio. PFFT. What a fluke that the so called natural warming cycle jsut happens to be when humans have trashed the planet.
    i am glad we chose not to have children its jsut sad people are going to suffer so much and the animals.

EcoTribalVegan

I think articles like this are created to give a license to do nothing about environmental issues.

However, I've heard this before. We can still prevent further global warming and ecological destruction.

i had a similar thought, ETV...i wondered if some people would read this article and think, "well, if it's unlikely that we can stop global warming climate changes, then why even bother trying to do something about it?" and then continue living their wasteful lifestyles...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

It's a little depressing when traveling with friends (who are vegan...) and the driver doesn't seem to want to hear the sense behind going 90 kph instead of 120..130. It's really simple, the difference in fuel consumption is considerable. I'd like to think they do know this.

Can you care about animals but not about the(ir) environment? I do not think you can totally honestly do that. If global warming(tm) really is suspect, can't we draw analogue to the "mundane" vegan who doesn't purposefully harm insects because it is "probably" wrong?

Josef

maybe it's about time the planet reboot itself rather than continue its chronicly ill existence. although the elite will probably find a way off it, colonize the universe and come back in a million years to terraform it to their new adaptive specifications and fuck it up all over again.