Thread: What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

Question What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

i know theres lots of fit healthy vegans on this forum and i thought i should start a thread that is kind of related to the fit and healthy thread.

maybe those of us in the lets get fit and healthy thread will find this thread helpful, seeing how other people stay fit.

so, what do you do to stay fit and healthy?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Good sperm

Default Re: What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

*Avoid refined flour and sugar
    *Eat as much varied fruit and veg as I can
    *Get regular exercise out in the fresh air
    *Never EVER let myself go hungry, if I'm hungry I eat something be it a piece of toast some fruit or whatever. I find a mix of carbs and protein works best eg nut butter on toast or veggie and hummus
    *Wholegrains only
    *A diet that is about 60% carb, 20-30% protein and 10-20% fat
    *Avoid adding fats to foods (I cook stuff in water rather than fry) and avoid things like cakes and biscuits as a regular addition to my diet, but don't worry about foods like nuts etc and other natural fats eg avocado
    *Avoid processed foods if I can, but for convenience I probably have veggie sausages etc. a coupla times a week
    *I add very little salt to my food, it's usually a low salt stockcube and that's it. However if I am craving salt as the rest of my diet is essentially saltless I'll have a handful of salted peanuts every now and again
    *I take a Vegan multivitamin mostly to cover my back

Essentially since reading 'Fat is a Feminist Issue' I've learnt to trust my body's impulses and hunger (it took a while to get used to this) and I eat when I'm hungry and I eat what I fancy. 99% of the time I fancy something healthy that my body needs for fuel, not junk. I've lost most of my junk cravings except a slight chocolate craving around the middle of the month but a hot chocolate or a soy choc dessert serves that, and that's it.

I don't eat out during the week. When I am visiting my bf/he is visiting me on the weekends, we eat out a couple of meals. Its easier to know what I am consuming (in addition to making sure its 100% vegan and cheaper). I also work out at the gym 2-3 times per week, take a yoga class, and practice yoga at home when I can. I have been tracking my food on fitday.com mostly just to see I am getting roughly the right amount of nutrients, but have also found that I consume less calories than I thought (about 1400-1700 per day) without trying. I also find myself eating small amounts of food often, rather than big meals. But...I still have many areas that need work.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Windfall

I take flax-see capsules (great for my skin too!)
    I never add salt to food, instead Id use pepper or herbs
    I go to the gym three times a week, walk instead of taking the bus, and surf whenever i get the opportunity!

I don't watch what I eat, other than making sure I get enough "good" microbes in my diet (vegan yogurt helps, as do fermented foods), and then I make sure I excercise at least 3 times a week of 3000+ yards of swimming in a hour. I add some simple weight lifting at home to that routine about twice a week, and my simple bike commutes around town. That all keeps me pretty healthy.

More than "healthy", I'd actually love to train more. I don't have the time right now, but I'd love to swim twice a day for 4000 yds each session, with four times in the weight room a week, and running 3 days a week. That would be a dream.
    context is everything

I play football twice a week and walk or cycle whenever possible.
    I eat what I like when I like but could lose a few kilos..
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I don't watch what i eat, if it tastes nice and is vegan then it's going in my belly

Excercise though, i do about 60 sit ups and push ups each morning and pretty much walk everywhere local.

sugarmouse

Im not belonging on this thread lol
    I eat as much veg as I can, alot for weight loss reasons at the moment though
    I drink cabbage water.
    I run 3 days out of 7 on average.
    I use free weights to make sure I keep my arms strong.
    I try to get through enough water, I buy bottles of it fizzy if tap isnt appealing.
    I resist things like cider, rollups and beer! To an extent. but not enough, I stil indulge! Ah well I could be worse.
    And I have to take pills t keep my mind healthy. DOes that count lol

*I eat only organic, whole grains, no refined sugar, with lots of fruit and veg.
    I have four meals a day with snacks. Usually waffle or toast with earth balance or whole amaranth/flax flake cereal for
    breakfast. Tofurky, lettuce, tomato sandwich for lunch between school and work, and another at work for dinner,
    sometimes it's a cucumber/tomato sandwich. If I don't have to work I usually have salad and fruit with juice. Then I make
    dinner with lots of vegetables for supper. Snacks include fruit, Fruitabu, shake, dried wakame or a Clif builder's bar. All pasta
    and bread is sprouted grain Ezekial.
    *If I do cook in oil (not often), I only use grapeseed oil.
    *Every day I take a green supplement tablet, glucosamine liquid, raw org. apple cidar vinegar plain, probiotic, 250mg calcium
    chewable, 1/2 a children's chewable multi (cuz they shaped like kitties and hippos), and a chewable bromelain to keep
    inflammation pains away. Also a chewable b-complex when I have it.
    *I always use raw apple cidar vinegar, flax oil and ground flax seeds on my salads.
    *I drink 64 oz. of water a day from a polycarbonate bottle I carry all the time.
    *I ride my bike 10 miles to school from home 3 days a week, and 2 miles to school after driving half way 2 days. (Plus
    sometimes to work on the weekends.)
    *I take 10 hours of dance classes a week, plus right now I have 6 hours of rehearsals a week.
    *I try and walk my dogs everyday, but can't in the summer because it's too hot for them. I play with the younger one a LOT.
    *I use 10lb. weights every night for my arms.
    *I have a crunch routine that I do with 152 crunches, but now I only do that when we don't do them in class. I also do back
    exercises at home to strengthen my back so it doesn't get thrown out of place so much.
    *I stretch every night that I don't have homework/aren't too exhausted. (which means never )
    *When I feel run down, I just get some kagome fruit/veg juices or make a fruit smoothie or a chocolate hemp protein shake
    and that keeps me going.
    *I'm on my feet moving around and doing lots of lifting at my job.
    *I do yoga occasionally, but more often I do diaphram exercises so I can breath more efficiently, especially when exercising.
    *I never to any perscription or non-perscription drugs unless it's an absolute emergency, but I haven't had a need to in over
    2 years.
    *I never drink or even stay around someone who smokes. I cut out all caffine except for a chocolate bar split between me
    and my husband about once a month.
    *If I have a soda, it's carbonated fruit juice, unsweetened. Snacks for watching movies include dry, air popped on the stove
    popcorn with a little sea salt. I use Bragg's amino acids instead of soy sauce. I never buy anything with artificial
    sweeteners.
    *I don't buy furniture with particle board or buy anything stuffed with poly-fil even for the dogs. Any cleaner or paint I buy is
    no or low VOC to keep my indoor air clean. All cleaning products are ecover or seventh generation. All organic/natural for
    skin care and other body products. Only stone deoderant. I buy reverse osmosis water to refill my water jugs, and I plan on
    buying a whole house filter so I can drink it, plus so I don't get all this chlorine from taking a bath or on my clothes, as
    there is a lot of chlorine in the water here.
    *I get a little sun on my skin everyday, but if I'm going to be in the sun a while, I use an organic sunscreen with only
    titanium dioxide as a physical barrier, and it has no fragrance, parabens, or other carcinogenic ingredients.
    Sorry for such a long post.

Bloody 'ell sniv, that ain't half a list! You must be soooo healthy!!

I don't drink and don't smoke, or take funny pills, so that's a start.
    I eat reasonably healthy - I think - not eating too much processed food and cooking a proper hot meal every night. I cook for the dogs and eat the same as they are having, which is probably my saving grace - I wouldn't py so much attention to my own diet, but I want to make sure that what they are getting is nutritious, so I benefit on the back of that.
    Exercise-wise I'm trying to get my life organised again, as I'm all over the place at the moment. Too often I have things to do after work and by the time that, and cooking, is out of the way I often lack the time and energy to go to either thai boxing or the gym, but that is what I do for exercise given the time.
    Again time and weather permitting I'll take the dogs on a long walk and get at least a good hour of walking in that way
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

eat lots of fruit and veg!
    Whole grains
    Lots of Pilates, Hot Yoga, and jogging!!
    Run after my little boy!