Thread: Going to London! Info on good grocery shops & restaurants ?

Default Going to London! Info on good grocery shops & restaurants ?

Hello!!,

My family and I are planning a trip to London, Uk in a few weeks to visit family and friends, can anyone help out with info. on good grocery shops to buy some vegan delights, and/or resturants?? I know London is a big place but some sort of idea would be helpful! Thanks

Default Re: Going to London! Info on good grocery shops & restaurants ?

That's a good idea for a trip A lot of forum members live in and around London so if you browse through this section you will find a lot of reports on restaurants and, to a lesser extent, shops.

If you tell us which part of London you're going to be in we might have some specific suggestions for you.

Here's my tips, as a londoner:

If near baker street, and not minding paying that extra few quid for a decent burger, try eat and two veg on marylebone high street.

If you want a cheaper, but still good, burger, try redveg on dean street, off oxford street.

At the cheap and cheerful end of the scale, i'd suggest Maoz falafel on old compton street, any of the thai vegan buffets or beetroot on berwick street (in a bit of a sex shop-filled area, but if you approach it from oxford street, not piccadilly circus, you'll avoid that.)

More expensive end, but supposedly excellent food (i've not been!), is Mildred's on Lexington street.

Near Euston there are a few veggie places, but i've not been into any so i couldn't vouch for the food. However 'Green and Beans' and Ravi Shankar looked appealing. Good menu variety, and G&Bs had a shop as well.

If you happen to be venturing out to Hackney in east london, be sure to visit Pogo Cafe. It's a workers' co-op which does brilliant food. And shakes. And cake. erm...and everything.

There are plenty of shops as well (though not exclusively veg*n). These include: Planet organic on Torrington Place, off tottenham court road; Whole foods market on High Street Kensington; Fresh and wild on Parkway in Camden, or near piccadilly circus; numerous holland and barrett stores (they're a chain with stores on a lot of high streets).

try happycow.net for info cos they list pretty much everything. veganlondon.co.uk has a lot of info too.

Thank you!! I did not know there was a Planet Organic or Whole Foods in London!...We are staying in the west end, Chelsea area???? I will definitely look into some restaurants you suggested too!

If you're in Chelsea you'll be quite near the big Whole Foods Market in Kensington High St, which has a food court as well. Also 222 which is a nice vegan restaurant near West Brompton tube station. And then there's the Planet Organic at Fulham Broadway...you'll be spoilt for choice

i forgot 222! yeah go there! yum.

If you like cake and are in the central area try Ray's jazz cafe at Foyles bookstore.
    www.foyles.co.uk

The cafe is on the second floor and they normally have a rich chocolate cake and a ginger one - plus flapjack, soy milk and savoury food.
    The day breaks and everything is new.