Thread: Favourite make-shift dessert!

Default Favourite make-shift dessert!

Okay, so no fancy pants tarte tatins, or fine dining favourites! Just quick and yummy sweet combinations! I'm quite hungry now, which is fairly obviously by the subject of the thread. I just threw together a Lyons mince pie (vegan-friendly baby! damn you somerfield!) and some mocha ripple swedish glace, and oh my lordy, I have never created something so wonderful with my bare hands! Cor, next time, I may even think about heating up the mince pie! And crushing it a little, with some nuts, perhaps walnut...
    Anyway, all ideas and creations welcome! Nothing is taboo

It's just that sometimes, you see, wonderful things are created on a whim and it's nice to share!
    Last edited by daines; Sep 22nd, 2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I didn't really wanna put this in the recipe section!
    Use adrenaline as your drug of choice

Default Re: Favourite make-shift dessert!

Alpro custard, cocoa powder, rum and cornflakes. Gorgeous.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Dare I ask the ratios in which one would combine these items, and whether the rum is light or dark? I think we have all of the above
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

BlackCats

I have just ordered soya cream with my shopping - does anyone have any good ideas of what I can eat with it?

Melted chocolate - stir it in and put it in the fridge for mousse type stuff. Can add a bit of booze too.

BlackCats

That sounds lovely

halva and a teaspoon. instantaneous joy.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

When I am craving something sweet, I just eat dates. To me they are not fruit. They are gooeey caramel balls.

^ especially with a blob of nut butter inside
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Oh and when i have it (which is hardly ever), i fill the dates with macadamia butter. They end up being gooey balls of love.

Any dried fruit is, to me, pure love and sugar and goo Cooor, especially laaarge chunks of chrystallized pineapple.

Might try some of those dates with the macadamia butter!

Good old fashioned chocolate cornflake cakes, made with golden syrup and cocoa powder, mmmmmmmmmmm
    Hey, its just occurred to me, is golden syrup vegan? And what about cornflakes?
    Could someone tell me if they are or not

It depends what sort of cornflakes you get. You have to watch out for vitamin D in cereal as some is vegan and some definitely isn't. I think it's D2 that's bad and D3 that's ok.

I've just eaten 9 chocolate crispy cakes made with just melted dark chocolate and rice crispies.

cherry i think its time all us vfers got together in the uk and had you cook for all of us hahaha!

one of my fave desserts is banana "ice cream". whenever you have brown bananas, throw them in the freezer. take them out (2 or 3) and blend them in a food processor until creamy and blended. its just like ice cream and you can put anything on it, fruit, chocolate sauce, nuts...mmm. its delicious AND good for you.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Cherry View Post
    Melted chocolate - stir it in and put it in the fridge for mousse type stuff. Can add a bit of booze too.
    oh...i do that too...add some soy cream/milk

for the booze i've done it with rum...yum!

another thing with melted choc/ chocolate spread...pour it over a ripe banana
    Piggy

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    cherry i think its time all us vfers got together in the uk and had you cook for all of us hahaha!
    No thanks I think Cumin's better at cooking for crowds, anyway!

Thanks Cherry, i will check the vitamin D content of cereals from now on

steev just made some banana "ice cream" with some strawberries thrown in to make it strawberry ice cream, and some chocolate cookies. yummm. its amazing what you can do with things you find in the freezer lol.

Windfall

gah how about throwing mocca or chocolate swedish glace in the blender with soymilk and cookies? Grrr

i always hear people on here saying swedish glace. what is that? is that what you call ice cream?

if it is, we do that! we make vegan blizzards. i dont know if anyone here will know what im talking about, but a blizzard is a dairy ice cream treat that is smooth and blended with things, like candies or different cookies, etc. and it comes from dairy queen. but we make vegan ones. like the oreo blizzard, we make that with vanilla soy ice cream, soy milk and oreo cookies all blended up. its delicious!

steev made another dessert. he loves his sweets.

he made defrosted frozen strawberries mixed with a little sugar, and drizzled with homemade chocolate sauce/icing. mmm yum.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    i always hear people on here saying swedish glace. what is that? is that what you call ice cream?
    Swedish Glace is just a super popular brand of ice cream here

Quote Cherry View Post
    It depends what sort of cornflakes you get. You have to watch out for vitamin D in cereal as some is vegan and some definitely isn't. I think it's D2 that's bad and D3 that's ok.
    It's the other way around! D3 is derived from wool.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Dare I ask the ratios in which one would combine these items, and whether the rum is light or dark? I think we have all of the above
    I used light but I think dark would work just as well.

Ratios. Hmm. 1/3-1/2 a carton of custard (around 200-250ml?), about a tablespoon cocoa powder. A shot of rum, and a good handful of cornflakes. Sorry I can't be more precise.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote Cherry View Post
    I read this yesterday, reminding me of some soya cream I've had for aaages that I don't really like or have a use for (that think sweet stuff, I forget it's name..) and some chocolate that was a bit tooo dark for me to enjoy on it's own. So, if you haven't guessed yet... I put the 2 together with a dash of vanilla essence and hey presto mouuse-a-licious. Who would have known it was so easy. Trouble is, it's so light and fluffy (cos I whisked it so much) that you hardly know you've been eating it... so I have eaten too much every time I've gone near it and constantly felt a little bit choco-sick (Yes that's a real word and problem :P) for the last 36 hours. hehehe worth it though.

Swedish Glace raspberry flavour is so yummy!! I had it for the first time last night, put some on a slice of choc cake and drizzled choc sauce on it......
    The cake was homemade a couple of days ago and didn't rise but still tasted good. I guess you could use any cake or even crumbled up biscuits for this dessert.

I have a problem with cake and icecream being put together. don't ask me to explain, I think it's something to do with the textures, and it is just plain WRONG.

I like to mix up mandarin oranges, sliced banana, chopped up fig, and then squirt on some soy whipped cream and mix it all up together. Its divine! And since the soy whipped cream is so low in calories/sugar, I eat it as a dessert.

265 calories, 11 grams of fiber!

JC

Quote pixeequeen View Post
    I have a problem with cake and icecream being put together. don't ask me to explain, I think it's something to do with the textures, and it is just plain WRONG.
    i totally agree!! the two just do not go together - i think it's coz the ice cream melts and makes the cake go all soggy *shudders*

Anywho, i just had to share my new favourite dessert. it is AMAZING.

step 1 - take some granola (preferrably one made with maple syrup)
    step 2 - take some soya yogurt (esp. alpro strawberry flavour)
    step 3 - mix together

mmmmm heaven in a bowl!!!

Slit a banana down the middle and put some squares of chocolate in it, then stick it in the microwave for a minute until the chocolate has melted and the banana is soft, serve with ice cream.

OOOOH I love this thread. I'm sure to be a faithful contributer but right now my mind is blank! I do make a lot of short bread cookies though 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup margarine>>blended together >>blend in 1 cup flour and anything else you like. Bake at 350 until done.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    I have just ordered soya cream with my shopping - does anyone have any good ideas of what I can eat with it?
    Oh my lordie.....I eat it straight out of the can! Another good idea to quench a sweet tooth is cinnamon life or this amazing cocoa puff type cereal with chocolate soymilk and cover it in soya whip.....pure pms cure right there.
    mmmmmmm...cupcakes

Cinnamon Life is vegan??? YEEESSS! I always loved that as well as Cinnamon Toast Crunch >>milk.
    Wait, I'll bet it is made of corn isn't it?

Quote Risker View Post
    Slit a banana down the middle and put some squares of chocolate in it, then stick it in the microwave for a minute until the chocolate has melted and the banana is soft, serve with ice cream.
    or split the banana and stuff with chocolate before sealing the slit up with peanut butter, wrapping in foil and baking in a medium oven until gooey. *drool*

Quote MillieAnne View Post
    Oh my lordie.....I eat it straight out of the can! Another good idea to quench a sweet tooth is cinnamon life or this amazing cocoa puff type cereal with chocolate soymilk and cover it in soya whip.....pure pms cure right there.
    waaaaait, you get your cream in a can?! woah.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    waaaaait, you get your cream in a can?! woah.
    I know! They just started selling it and it is amazing.....a can of soya whip and the Land Before Time movie and I am good for the night
    mmmmmmm...cupcakes

JC

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    or split the banana and stuff with chocolate before sealing the slit up with peanut butter, wrapping in foil and baking in a medium oven until gooey. *drool*
    mmm that sounds amazing! i think i'll have to try it!! and served with ice cream if i'm feeling mega unhealthy

Vegan Brownies!

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup water
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup nuts (optional)
    1/2 cup vegan approved chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square pan with non-stick foil (Release) or parchment paper
    Measure out 1/2 cup of the flour and place it in a saucepan with the water (1 cup). Whisk flour and water together over medium heat until mixture becomes thick and gluey. Set it aside to cool.
    In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together both sugars, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add oil and vanilla and stir until well mixed. Add gluey flour mixture and stir until incorporated, then stir in remaining 1 ½ cups of flour. If using, add nuts and chocolate chips.
    Spread mixture in the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Score into however many brownies. 16 worked for me.

^^This is awesome i highly recommend..makes plenty and stays good for a long time..and wen you get a peice the next day pop it in the microwave for like 20 secs..and it taste like its right out of the oven!!!!!!!

Holy shitamoly that's a lot of sugar! But OMG they do sound decadently divine!!

Im new to this but sooo glad that everyone shares their random concoctions! I am definately going to be having more fun in the kitchen as a vegan than I ever did as a meateater. My mind has literally opened wider in the past five days than it ever did in the last 23 years. Let the munching begin!

Tonight I melted some soya spread and sugar together then added oats, raspberries, blackberries and a drizzle of cream. Mmmmmmm, twas tasty good

X

Any leftover valentine's chocs? (as if)

collect all the broken biscuits (cookies) and dried out pastries, cake. crumble no bigger than marbles and give a good splash of rum. let soak while melting chocolate. Stir in enough to create a semi-solid mess. scoop golfball or racquetball size lumps and drop onto parchment/non-stick. dust with cocoa or chocolate shavings or coconut or or or... best when left to solidify if you can wait that long

if you really enjoy a chocolate mess roll them by hand in the topping (lick clean)

This is how my bakery cleared out all their leftovers after holidays!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

saute up sliced bananas in marg and sugar with a dash of orange juice and cointreau. Cook a few mins until gooey and caramelised..... gorgeous with ice cream.

I think I'll have to make some of this now!

JC

grated apple and flavoured soya yogurt - i'm thinking this one might be a bit too healthy for this thread though. so you could...erm...add some maple syrup?!

Rice pudding =]

All ya need is soya milk, pudding rice, sugar, cinamon and nutmeg

MMMMMMM

elve

wow you are all such foodies!

I love chocolate alpro, with glace ginger and hazelnuts stirred into it - mmmmmm! rum would perfect it but sadly I'm teetotal as well as vegan

Quote bryzee86 View Post

sounds divine - yes, yes, YES!!

plus i have just enough vanilla swedish glace for one left, to go ontop. i still feel full from lunch so this sound just right for tonight!

Right now I'm sure I am making myself sick on almonds coarsely ground with flax oil, vanilla flavored powdered sugar, a little almond flavor and a dash of "Lemon"

Oh and last night I had half a bag of frozen blueberries pureed with some raw sugar. Rock on food processor!