Thread: Skin Problems

Default Skin Problems

I've been vegan for over a year now and my skin, having improved slightly is not great. I eat plenty of fruit and veg and even have at least a teaspoon of flaxseed everyday.
    Is there anything I can do/eat to help improve my skin and are there any facial washs you can recomend?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: Skin Problems

Are you getting enough zinc in your diet, emzy? I posted some links about that in foxytina's thread about boils.

There are non-diet things that impact skin of course, such as hormone problems.

You have just reminded me Harpy that i must start taking zinc again. Have some in so will keep it up for longer than a week

Emzy what kind of problems do you have with your skin?
    I have to use a antibiotic cream i got from the docs to keep my skin in check but no other cream has kept my face clear.

I just have a really poor complexion from years of spots...not acne...just spots. Sometimes it can get really quite bad on my neck, shoulders and chest...but my face will be fine. I had some antibiotic stuff for my face when I was 13/14....it cleared it up quite abit but as soon as I stopped using it, it came back. It's also really quite oily all the time. I don't eat alot of junk food at all if ever. Grr annoyed!
    What kinda foods have a good source of zinc? I don't really like taking supplements!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Yes, I've read you can get too much zinc by taking supplements (though the odd one probably doesn't do any harm I imagine) so having more in your diet may be the way to go. Pumpkin seeds are supposed to be a good source but there are others - not all of the ones mentioned here are vegan but some are

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/zinc.html

I don't eat hardly any pumpkin seeds but after looking on Vegsoc I saw beans and legumes as a good source. I eat TONES of those. Damn I'm at a loss here

emzy i get really bad spots because i have a hormone problem - have you ever had a doctor check you out for that? i understand if you don't want to go to the doctor about it but for me medication was the only thing that would get rid of it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I don't eat hardly any pumpkin seeds but after looking on Vegsoc I saw beans and legumes as a good source. I eat TONES of those.
    I eat quite a lot of beans etc too but from looking at their table I'm not sure if I'd get enough zinc from those alone. One thing I read suggested veg*ns may need to take in more zinc than the RDA/reference intake because the phytates in our diet interfere with absorption (or something!)

Despite what I said about supplements I have actually been taking zinc-and copper tablets for the past few days because I read it can help with wart-type infections and I had one. It does seem to be getting better (although that might be the vinegar I'm dousing it in!).

Anyway am planning to ditch the pills and just step up the pumpkin seeds and tahini - no hardship as far as I'm concerned.

The hormone thing is also worth considering. Actually I think a lot of people are a bit spotty in their early 20s, not that that's much consolation I know.

It's just annoying that most of my friends now have clear skin and they all eat aload of shite.

I might speak to my doctor about it, but he normally just fobs me off and says "everything will be ok, just get some rest" no matter what is wrong with me

I think in my next shopping trip I'll buy some pumpkin seeds and see if that does any good. What is good to have with them or are they yummy enough to eat on their own?

BlackCats

Emzy - I don't use any facial washes anymore and I just use a veggie soap and grapeseed/almond oil as a moisturiser.

I still get spots occasionally (even in my 30's) but I think facial washes used to make my skin worse because they are quite harsh.

(Btw I cannot bear any type of seeds, I know they are good for you but yuck! I eat flaxseeds mixed up in food but only because I have to.)

I usually chuck a few pumpkin seeds into muesli. You could add them to a salad or stew/curry too, or add them to trail mix.

Yes, pumpkin seeds are good sprinkled on salads - you can get various fancy ones flavoured with soy sauce etc but plain is probably better. Or yes they are good on their own - you can get salted and roasted ones to snack on (don't eat the shells) but again plain raw ones are probably more nutritious. H&B sell pumpkin seed butter (a bit like peanut butter) but see above

I used to have spots when I was in my 30s but that was because of PCOS, as it turned out. If you had that you would probably have other symptoms such as irregular periods, though.

I do have irregular periods but that is more to do with stress than anything else. I mean like if I'm really upset or stressed out at the time of my period I simply won't have it at all.

Mmmmm I love peanut butter so maybe the pumkin see stuff would be a good substitute there. Big fan of salads at the moment too so I'll get some in for that too.

Ahprodite - Where do you get your moisteriser from?

BlackCats

Oh pumpkin seed butter sounds okay.

I used to use Weleda almond oil which is vegan but is quite pricy, you can get it from bigger Sainsbury's in the chemist bit.

I now use these two bottles of grapeseed oil and sweet almond oil I bought from H&B yonks ago. (I would imagine they are vegan but don't quote me.)

sorry but i was hoping gorilla - would you be able to say what your doctor did to help you?
    I have hormone related acne - i am sure it is caused by that. WOuld you be able to say what the doctor did to help you?
    I was told by a dermatologist to go on the pill but i dont want to do this.
    Ive tried all sorts of stuff, i know stress makes it so much worse also.

sorry Clawsy, but the only thing that's helped my skin is the pill. i really don't want to take it but i've tried everything else. my skin is just horrendous without it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Despite my earlier post in another thread about caffeine I find that ANY caffeine consumption affects my skin in a negative way (I has similar problems with bad skin due to spots when I was younger and I still get them more than I should at my age). I still drink it for other reasons, but if you're not already you might want to try going caffeine free.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

i don't think caffeine has any effect on my skin, and i find it helps my depression, so i think i'll stick with my coffee it's a good suggestion though, it might make a difference to some people. i suppose it might be related to stress - stress can cause skin problems and caffeine induces stress in the body.

i also definitely found that cleansers and soaps are really harsh on the skin, so i think eliminating, or seriously reducing the amount will give the skin a break, and also not too much hectic scrubbing. all of this reduced the oilyness for me.

i don't know if this is the same for other people, but when i eat processed wheat/floury products such as bread and pasta, i get loads of pimples/spots/boils, not sure what you'd call them.
    Piggy

I find that if I just eat vegetables and nothing else, I still get spots. Gave up caffiene years ago...dunno what else to try! I shouldn't really have this amount of spots as a 22 year old!!

I've always found sunbathing helps my skin (in terms of acne, I know there are long term risks), maybe a tanning salon would do the same? Just don't take it as a long term thing.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Yeh the sun clears up my skin like nothing else. Have to be careful though cuz I'm quite heavily tattooed and I like to keep them covered up in the really strong sunlight to preserve them.
    Btw I'm poor so no tanning salon for me.

Ha, Emzy! I am 24 and I still have acne. My mom is 48 and she still has acne. There is no hope...I'm going to try laser treatment.

I started getting adult onset acne around 27 or 28, which I found highly weird. It s eems to have sorted itself out now. I tried a variety of things such as dilute tea-tree oil (couple of drops in a palmful of warm water) as a face wash before going to bed, and that seemed to work a bit but dried my skin out.

I'm using Lavera sensitive moisturiser to help with the dry skin and at least that doesn't seem to have caused a re-flare-up yet (fingers crossed!)
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple