Thread: Good vegan breakfast recipies?

Default Good vegan breakfast recipies?

I'm making a vegan brunch for some non-vegan friends Sunday. And I really want to impress them..... I'm wondering if you all have a favorite v. breakfast/brunch recipe you'd like to share?
    wings are for flying not frying

Default Re: Good vegan breakfast recipies?

Placenta on toast?

Seriously, I think this is quite a difficult one as non-vegans tend not to be too keen on mock meats and so on which one might otherwise think of having for a special vegan breakfast.

I might be tempted to do something like bagels and nice bread with a choice of jam, peanut butter, hummus and so on, and also make a fancy fruit salad. But I know you tend to have more elaborate breakfasts in the US.

I do have a vegan muffin recipe somewhere if that would help.

I'd probably just make sure there was a lot of choice - oatmeal, cereals, fresh fruit... although thinking about it, cinnamon whirls might be a good idea. I believe there are already recipes for those somewhere on here?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I used to make a vegan version of french toast. Instead of using an egg batter to dip the bread in, I whizzed up some cashew nut butter and soy milk in the blender and used that as the batter. After you soak the bread in it, you fry it in the pan as you normally would with french toast and serve with jam or maple syrup. Mmmmmm!

vegan with a vengeance has some awesome brunch recipes...some ideas I might try are:

- scones/muffins/rolls w/ jam & earth balance
    - breakfast burritos: scrambled tofu w/ onions, peppers, salsa, guac, sour supreme
    - coffee cake & fruit salad
    - biscuits & gravy
    - homefries or hashbrowns are always a good bet

These all sound like really good ideas. I find that going out to eat for breakfast is quite limiting.... I tend to eat breakfast at home. I typically have a shake consisting of:
    • Soy/Rice/Almond Milk
    • Soy Protein Powder
    • 1 Banana
    • Blueberries
    • Almond butter
    Yum! I've been having this for breakfast for years.

The french toast w/cash butter sounds real good. But of course, you'd use jam instead of maple syrup -- as you would with a PB&J

Lane

I've made American style pancakes without egg (used some chick pea flour instead) and they came out really well. I got hooked on these as a non vegan so had to sort out a replacement! I've also made buckwheat pancakes which are similar but with yeast as the raising agent. They're not quite as nice in my view. Got to have either of them with banana and maple syrup.

My current favourite brunch is toasted bagels drizzled with olive oil, spread with mashed avocado, sliced tomatoes and a good grind of black pepper. Absolutely delicious!

Happy brunching!
    Chloe

You could do a vegan fry up with tomatoes, mushrooms, scrambled tofu, sausages, fake bacon, fried bread etc. Serve with red sauce, brown sauce and mustard.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Oh my - thank you everyone for your ideas! I am leaning towards some kind of vegan waffles (I have a waffle maker that I never use!) with strawberries, bananas and syrup; then maybe hash browns; and the bagels with mashed avocado, tomatoes and sounds delicious Chloe!

Oh and a smoothie/shake of some sort!!

Hmm, pancakes are always a good idea. You can make pancakes with flours of your choice, oil, baking powder (make sure it's aluminum-free) and tofu as an egg replacer. Adding 2 tbsp potato starch will make it extra fluffy.

Then you can make walnuts and honey pate (peel walnuts and put them in a food processor with the honey until it's a soft paste) to fill the pancakes with, bake a good fruit cake, buy some breads and make two kinds of pate to spread on the bread (good ideas for pates are eggplant, olives, hommus, babaganuch, spinach, salsa and cilantro, etc).

Ah, the VegCooking website has a good recipe called Spinach-Asparagus Wrap which sounds simple and delicious (I haven't tried it yet, although it sounds good for breakfast).

blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and dusting of icing sugar

erm well if you want a cooked breakfast then scrambled tofu on toast or hash browns with mushrooms and baked beans is my personal stodgie favourite with a really scrummy smoothie hmmmm perfect hangover brunch