Thread: I'm havin a baby...:)

Talking I'm havin a baby...:)

I just found out 3 days ago that I'm pregnant and if people could please give me information on lots of good food to eat, should I be taking more vitamins on top of pre-natal vitamins? Suggestions on any books I should read? I'm really excited and I want to keep my baby healthy and happy while I'm living my wonderful vegan life.

Any websites, books, information, advice would be really helpful. Anything you think that I need to know I am open to hearing.

Appreciate it lots!
    ▼Laurin▼

Default Re: I'm havin a baby...:)

I am so happy for you. Ah...what a wonderful, wunderful thing. Some nyce happifying websites: naturalchild.com (12 ways to grow a happy child) And... unassistedchildbirth.com/sensual/orgasmic.html Um....I think that even if you don't like the idea of orgasmic birth this is a nyce thing to read becuz it shows you that many woman feel pleasure when giving birth. It is sad that most women 'expect' pain....being prepared for anything is fyne but it is nyce to nurture the thought that you can also feel blissful. I also recommend the MOTHER MAGAZINE (just google it)...the editor is vegan...and it's just wonderful for pregnant people and mummy's who want to do things a nycer gentler way. Re. the vitamins and whatnot....I did'nt really do those and my baby was a bundle of vibrant health. What you eat during pregnancy (research seems to show) tends to flavour what your child then favours wunce out in the world. I cud only eat sour apples (granny smiths) when I was pregnant...and yup, sure enough, those are the ones my son wants now...altho he'll eat others if that's all there is. That's just one example of course....zillions of others equally apply. If your diet is already a healthy one you don't really need to do much except follow your appetite...if your diet is a little bit squiffy you cud boost your intake of green veg (for iron and calcium)..get a bit of gentle sunshine for vitamin D and have some B12 backup just to be on the safe syde. Oh...and some nyce omega's in smooothies maybe (Sunflower and pumpkin seeds) with hemp seeds (nyce quality protein). Very, very tasty too! The best thing you can do for your baby...in terms of nutrition...is to eat a varied diet now...and to breastfeed for as long as your baby wants to. This is my opinion - which I may get into trouble for. Naturally I don't want to offend any people who did'nt/won't breastfeed...I am trying to kyndly and gently say what I personally think is healthiest for mummy and baby. Another thing...just incase you're dashing out to make all sorts of purchases.....you don't really need to buy much at all for a baby.....all that little baby really needs is it's parent(s)...boob-milk and a pair of loving arms to hold him/her.... Faerie Hugs to you both (all?) x
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

Apologies....something on here (cud even be me?) is'nt functioning properly...I type in paragraphs yet when I click preview it is all bunched up! I know it is hard to read like that. Sorry! Smilies have stopped working again too. Please assume lots of smiles to accompany my post. Thanks!
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

cobweb

ooh, i agree with above - breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed
    - and read LOADS and make your decisions before the birth about how you're going to raise the child, and then don't be swayed by others!

make sure you take your folic acid and a good diet and relax........plenty of tranquil music, deep breathing, etc. Also, keep active, keep fit - the birth will be easier if you are in good shape . I did a very, very physical job right up to 3 weeks before the birth of my son, and my labour was only 6 hours - no assistance, no stitches (but i'm afraid i can't say 'no pain' - you'll handle it though, don't worry!).

Talking Re: I'm havin a baby...:)

can't give you any top tips, i only know vege's with kids, but i can wish you all the best.

Mahk

Laurin, is it my imagination or did I just see your age (under your avatar) go from 19 to 20 between when I opened this thread, left to do some research, and then came back? Happy birthday! (if that's true) and congrats on your new baby!

This isn't my field of expertise, I'd seek out the advice of a pediatrician, but I thought I might pass on a tragic (but also cautionary) tale I read last month in the news:
    Vegan Society news article

[edit: originally the link was to a biased MSNBC news article on the same event, an error on my part.]

Has anyone mentioned http://www.vegfamily.com/ yet? seems to be a good resource.

Congratulatons

Quote Mahk View Post
    This isn't my field of expertise, I'd seek out the advice of a pediatrician, but I thought I might pass on a tragic (but also cautionary) tale I read last month in the news:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/
    I feel that that link was a negative contribution to this thread and has nothing to do with veganism.

You have asked for tips (from people with vegan parenting experience?)....and I have encountered (myne included) many,many vibrant glowing vegan kiddies....rest assured it is not a problem!

I agree with cobweb...'don't be swayed by others'.....so...uh....guess you need to ignore my posts then, Laurin?

Congratulations to you Hope you are feeling well.

Yes, congratulations!

There is some information about nutrition in pregnancy here:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/peo...rst_months.php

I find the design of the site slightly confusing but if you click the links on the right (under "related items") you will find more detailed information about nutrition. If you look around on there there is also information about feeding infants.

Mahk

Quote Heartsease View Post
    I feel that that link was a negative contribution to this thread and has nothing to do with veganism.
    Sorry, you are right, I didn't mean to be negative. I apologize to all, please forgive me. Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about the dietary needs of vegan babies. For instance, until I had read that news article I linked to, I would have assumed that soy milk was acceptable for babies. I guess it is common knowledge here that it is not, and that I'm just a lone idiot in such matters.

[edit: I have changed the source of the news article link to the Vegan Society's more accurate account. Originally I had linked to a biased MSNBC report, once again, I'm sorry.]

Congrats!

Peace, love, and happiness.

Mahk, I think soya milk is suitable for babies...........I know it is available in powered form for babies who are lactose intolerant. Those parents whose baby died were just not feeding the baby enough...........it wasn't because they were vegan and giving the baby soya milk.
    CONGRATULATIONS Laurin................if you are eating a healthy vegan diet, your baby will be a healthy, vegan baby!

Mahk

What I meant was using straight soy milk alone (instead of breast milk or an approved formula) is dangerous. The Vegan Society seems pretty emphatic that homemade formulas and soy and other "milks" should not be used:

If breast feeding is not possible or is contraindicated, there is just one formula feed suitable for vegan infants: Vegan Society trade mark holder Farley's Soya Formula by Heinz. On no account should soya milk, nut milk, rice milk, oat milk, pea milk or other home-prepared "formulas" be used as these do not contain the appropriate ratio of nutrients and can lead to potentially life-threatening conditions.

This quote above is from the last paragraph in the section "Vegan Infants" from this page. I never knew this myself until today.

Also, these veg*an friendly sources agree (click the quotes for their source):

Breast milk or formula should be the primary beverage for the first year; not cow's milk or soymilk.

The best food for newborns is breast-milk, and the longer your baby is breast-fed, the better. If your baby is not being breast-fed, soy formulas are a good alternative and are widely available. Do not use commercial soymilk for infants. Babies have special needs and require a soy formula that is developed especially for those needs.

Yes, I am aware that breast milk is best..........I breast fed my children......I was talking about the soya forumula for babies not straight soya milk etc. Just as you wouldn't give a baby straight cow's milk you wouldn't give a baby straight soya milk, but soya formulas do exist.

ya soy formula is fine, just don't feed it the kind you drink. the best food for your baby is your breast milk, as long as your treating your self properly. just make sure to eat enough cause it can really drain you.

Mahk

Quote sandra View Post
    Just as you wouldn't give a baby straight cow's milk you wouldn't give a baby straight soya milk.
    Unless you are totally stupid in these areas like I was until today and (tragically) those poor parents were. Their baby never got breast milk or soya formula, just straight soy milk. More here.

I know feeding a baby straight soy milk (not a soy formula) must seem like such an obvious mistake to many of you, but it didn't to me. I grew up with very little exposure to babies or how to take care of them so I am quite ignorant in these areas.

Laurin, I once again want to say I'm sorry if I brought any negativity to this thread by introducing this sad story into the discussion about what should normally be a joyous event in your life. If people wish to discuss it further, I'd like to suggest that they start a new independent thread on the topic, but I, for one, have said all that I have to say on the matter. Let's leave this current thread for positive, constructive help and advice for the mother-to-be, instead.

Best wishes,

Mahk

Congrats Laurin. That's wonderfully happy news. Babies are such a blessing and I wish you and the little one all the happy, healthy and love-filled things that life has to offer.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Congratulations Laurin!! *HUGS*
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Congratulations from me too, Laurin!!! Hope you enjoy your pregnancy and motherhood
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Mahk
    Laurin, I once again want to say I'm sorry if I brought any negativity to this thread by introducing this sad story into the discussion about what should normally be a joyous event in your life. If people wish to discuss it further, I'd like to suggest that they start a new independent thread on the topic, but I, for one, have said all that I have to say on the matter. Let's leave this current thread for positive, constructive help and advice for the mother-to-be, instead.
    And on that note, please use this thread to further discuss the sad story mentioned if need be. Thanks.

Congratulations Laurin.

Laurin congrats on your pregnancy!!! My very best wishes

Quote sandra View Post
    Mahk, I think soya milk is suitable for babies...........I know it is available in powered form for babies who are lactose intolerant. Those parents whose baby died were just not feeding the baby enough...........it wasn't because they were vegan and giving the baby soya milk.
    CONGRATULATIONS Laurin................if you are eating a healthy vegan diet, your baby will be a healthy, vegan baby!

Agree!! Don't feed the baby soy milk .... feed soy FORMULA! or breastfeed or course!
    COngrats!!! we are trying for a 2nd soooooon! YIKES

All the best with that blondemummy!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    All the best with that blondemummy!

Thanks Sandra!

I wouldn't take vitamins on top of prenatal ones. Prenatal are already more than 100% of what you need.

DO eat a very varied diet and make sure you get good protein and complex carbs along with your veg.

Breastfeeding is best (as it is natural) but there are Soy formulas to use if you can't breastfeed. Due to an autoimmune disease that kicked into high gear after my daughter was born, I was not able to breastfeed. However, there are many types of soy formula.

Keep up physical activity while pregnant, and make sure to get lots and lots of SLEEP.

Mahk

I've had a hard time finding vegan mulit-vitamins here in Boston and just yesterday discovered that my local CVS store has them! Here are the pre-natal ones but they also have regular:

pre-natal

regular

Notice they have "Vegeguard" screening.

edit: I just tried my links above and they seem broken. If they don't work go to WWW.CVS.COM and in the search box in the upper left type "vegan". The vitamins are on the second page of the search results.

I'd like to add to this thread... I found out on Saturday that I'm pregnant (my first!) and am very excited although it all feels quite unreal at the moment. I've been recommended Rose Elliot's Vegetarian and Vegan Mother and Baby Guide which I've ordered off Amazon, looks good.

I haven't seen my doctor yet, but in the meantime I'm trying to eat green leafy vege with everything, and upping my intake of tahini, marmite and fortified soya milk, eating nuts and seeds as snacks and lots of fresh fruit and veggies as usual. Any other advice gratefully received as well!
    Kia kaha e hoa, kia ora

Stu

Cool stuff! Another wee vegan shall be entering the world.

Congratulations and all that gubbins!

BlackCats

Congratulations.

That's great news kiwi.tyger!
    Your diet is really healthy, you are eating all the best things. Have you developed any cravings yet?
    I used to crave oranges and raw vegetables when I was pregnant, not at the same time though!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Congratulations kiwi.tyger Yep, your diet sounds great - lots of iron rich foods are essential - practically everyone I have know has become slightly anaemic when pregnant.