Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Millionaires shortbread

Default Re: Millionaires shortbread

by the way, i made it again, using 130ml cream and it turned out great! thanks for this awesome recipe cherry!
    Piggy

Veganstore UK are now selling millionaire's shortbread:

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=002
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That's not cheap, but pretty cool. Let us know if you try it?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

i will probably try them, the price will bump up the order so i can get their free postage
    as nice as the recipe in this thread sounds, i'm far too lazy and lacking in baking skills to make it myself, so i'm quite pleased to see a ready-made one.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Veganstore UK are now selling millionaire's shortbread:

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=002
    Blue Lotus seem to have something remarkably similar

http://bluelotusproducts.co.uk/produ...52e81d8656b14d

...but you seem to have to buy in bulk, and I'm not sure how the prices compare.

I've never heard of this treat before but it looks like I need to eat some. Mhhhmm my tummy thinks so!

I'd never heard of it before this forum either. I still haven't tried it either!

Quote harpy View Post
    Blue Lotus seem to have something remarkably similar

http://bluelotusproducts.co.uk/produ...52e81d8656b14d

...but you seem to have to buy in bulk, and I'm not sure how the prices compare.
    yes, they seem to be the same products that Veganstore are selling. the Blue Lotus website seems rather confusing to me but it looks like they're selling them for about the same price.

my Veganstore order arrived in two days and i ate the millionaire's shortbread at the weekend. it's really good, just how i remember it except the biscuit is very crumbly and a bit powdery because it's gluten-free. the cost is worth it for me as an occasional treat as i was unlikely to bother to make it myself, and the recipe ingredients (especially Soyatoo) are pretty expensive in themselves, anyway.

Someone got me some Millionaires shortbread from waitrose today. Its called Lazy Days and might be the same one that the online stores are selling. Apparently it was around £2.50 for 5 slices. Heres the link to the product:

http://www.lazydayfoods.com/engine/s...res+Shortbread

Its actually very nice and sooo impressed that I can pick it up at the supermarket. They also had tiffin

Hi.
    I also bought this from Waitrose today. It does taste very similar to how my granny used to make it but it was also a bit artificial.

I think I would like to try and bake my own, I like a gooey caramel and a chunky chocolate.

Cherry - your recipe looks good, and found one similar on the web which also use Soya cream in the caramel.

Thanks for the recipe.
    Thanks,

Burntfruit

Yeh that does look like a similar caramel in terms of ingredients, but the quantities are method are SO different! I'm quite intrigued to try it.

I was bought some of the same from Waitrose and some of the Tiffin. The Shortbread was nice and the Tiffin was AMAZING!

Are we talking about the same product here? The one we got in waitrose yesterday (£2.39 for 5 insultingly small slices) is not good.

The shortbread is quite unlike I've ever tasted (not in a good way). It's powdery and crunchy, with a weird aftertaste. By the looks of things they've cooked it with an uneven top then flipped it over to put the caramel on the smooth side, leaving a rough and crumbly underneath. The caramel layer is thin, set and more like badly made fudge (i.e. it's crystally not smooth) than gorgeous gooey caramel. I've not really anything to say about the chocolate, other than the layer is pathetically thin, has no crack when you bite in and it's flavour is lost in the overall weirdness. To add insult to injury you're left after eating with an oily coating in your mouth.

I know we've all been waiting years for vegan millionaires shortbread available in the supermarket, but this surely isn't it. Yes it's great they're selling something, but surely we should be demanding higher standards?

It's such a shame they decided to make it gluten free - commercially available decent vegan shortbread is already widely available (ironically more so in Scotland than in England, where people are obsessed with butter). They could have made bigger slices, thicker chocolate and proper caramel.

I tasted one of Cherry's trials a few years back and it was far, far better.

I baked some today. I borrowed Cherry's recipe on Parsley Soup.

They turned out fantastic - nice chewy caramel, and yummy chocolate.

Here is my batch:

Thanks,

Burntfruit

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    To add insult to injury you're left after eating with an oily coating in your mouth.
    I'm sure this is the same stuff we ordered from VeganStore a while back (I was so unimpressed there are still 2 packets in my fridge - this would never normally happen with vegan goodies).
    I tasted it with 4 other excited vegans and one omni but we were all disappointed with the taste, appearance and overall quality - and we all felt we were left with a 'coating of fat' in our mouths afterwards (not even oil - fat, like suet). We also thought it was expensive - with the appearance as Mr Flibble described it we thought it looked like something you'd find in the pound shop!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Burntfruit View Post
    I baked some today. I borrowed Cherry's recipe on Parsley Soup.

They turned out fantastic - nice chewy caramel, and yummy chocolate.
    Yay!

Quote Marrers View Post
    we thought it looked like something you'd find in the pound shop!
    I valued it at 59p

I'm now cooking some of these in the oven, which I blame you lot for. Shame on you.

ETA: These are now cool and ready to eat. Husband gets home at about 5:30... this only leaves me an hour to eat the whole tray. I'm more than prepared to give it a go.

Cherry, if I wasn't full of cold I'd give to a great sloppy kiss for this recipe. It is truly, truly awesome!
    Last edited by Ms_Derious; Feb 2nd, 2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Addition
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I spotted the lazy day Tiffin the other day, After nibbling on a bit I didn't want to share it. It is very good, the non vegans wanted more too.
    I noticed the shortbread but never thought to look if it was vegan...so I suppose I should give it a go, it's only fair.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post

The shortbread is quite unlike I've ever tasted (not in a good way). It's powdery and crunchy, with a weird aftertaste. By the looks of things they've cooked it with an uneven top then flipped it over to put the caramel on the smooth side, leaving a rough and crumbly underneath. The caramel layer is thin, set and more like badly made fudge (i.e. it's crystally not smooth) than gorgeous gooey caramel.
    This = the truth.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    This = the truth.
    Will it be a waste of £2.99? But their Tiffin taste so good.

If I found 2 packs sellotaped together in a pound store and was particularly hungry then I'd consider it, but at £2.99 they're having a laugh

I didn't mind the Waitrose everything-free shortbread when I tried it - the fact there isn't very much in the packet is a good thing for those of us with little self control, but I wouldn't have a problem if they wanted to reduce the price

At first I thought it tasted "ughhh", but then I got a taste for it. I'm glad it's available. I have really gone off dark chocolate for my sweetie fixes, so it's nice to have stuff like that and the tiffin available (I live 5 mins walk from Waitrose). The choc and caramel layers taste nice to me, it's the shortbread bit that tastes a bit strange.

I tried the shortbread and their ginger choc biscuits, the shortbread isn't that bad considering its not wheat flour but a good mix of various flours. The company is catering for a wide variety of restricted diets, probably a smaller market.
    I'm just glad they didn't use Carob instead of chocolate! You young'uns have no idea what it used to be like in the olden days!

I went back to buy more, loved the Tiffin. It all seems to have gone from the St.Ives Waitrose....can anyone else still get it from theirs?

Just wanted to mention that the tiffin has been going down well with omnivorous friends at various picnics I've been to. When I managed to snatch a bit away from them I too thought it was good

Probably it's something that's fairly easy to make oneself (there's a recipe here: http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/news/recipes) but the ready-made one is handy when you're in a hurry. And yes they fortunately do stock it in our local Waitrose, hope the other ones have it again now.