Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Cow, Bird/Swine Flu, Foot and Mouth, E.coli, Salmonella, Ebola, Marburg...

Default Australia & avian flu

Australia is funding 10,000 doses of an anti-viral medicine to protect health workers and is contributing to a World Health Organisation team that is going to Jakarta. Two girls in Jakarta have died after showing bird flu symptoms, while nine others have been quarantined. The Indonesian Government says an epidemic could break out at any time.

Mr Abbott also says he has been assured by Australian health officials that there is still only a 10 percent chance of this strain of bird flu mutating and developing into a human bird flu pandemic. "Ten to one shots do come home at the races, but more often than not they don't," he said.

Meanwhile, the federal Opposition has accused the Government of dragging its feet on devising a scheme to protect Australia from a potential outbreak of bird flu.
    Eve

Default Re: Australia & avian flu

Well we all KNOW the government can predict all *sarcasm*

Default Re: Bird Flu

MORE DEATHS

News from the Poultry site

Sep 22

Three workers from Jakarta's Ragunan Zoo have been hospitalized with suspected H5N1 avian influenza, increasing the number of suspected human cases in Indonesia to as many as seven, according to news services. The zoo was closed yesterday after 19 captive birds tested positive for the H5N1 virus. The ailing zoo workers include a 28-year-old guide and a 39-year-old vendor, the Associated Press (AP) reported in a statement attributed to I Nyoman Kandun, Indonesia's director general of communicable disease control.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4269310.stm

Nearly 10,000 chickens have been slaughtered as part of contingency plans to deal with any bird flu outbreak in Northern Ireland.
    Veterinary experts preparing for the potentially fatal disease used gas to destroy poultry in Moy, County Tyrone.
    Officials stressed there was no fear of infection in the birds, who were no longer to be used for laying eggs.

Kevster

'Flu outbreak may 'overwhelm' NHS

Experts warn there are too few NHS critical care beds in England to cope with an outbreak of avian flu.
    Scientists say it is only a matter of time before bird flu becomes readily transmissible between humans, which could cause a pandemic.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4274642.stm

Bird flu pandemic could kill up to 150 million - Says UN

Read the story here.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30092005/32...0-million.html

this is some scary stuff. it has a "the stand" feel to it. i told my mom a few days ago that if it starts to spread, that i would do the family grocery shopping for her and my grandparents as my mom is a magnet for flu and my grand's are getting elderly.
    Moe Bush strikes quite the resemblence, don't you think?

Three domestic ducks have died of bird flu in eastern Romania, sparking fears that the Asian virus has hit Europe. Officials suspect that tests under way in Britain will confirm that the birds were infected with H5N1, the strain of avian flu which experts are tracking for fear it could mutate and spawn a human flu pandemic.

The dead birds were found in the village of Ceamurlia near the Black Sea late last month. Samples were sent to a laboratory in Bucharest, where bird flu antibodies were found. The lab did not have the capability to determine the exact strain of the virus and sent the samples to Britain, where results are expected in the next few days.

Officials have killed nearly all the domestic fowl in Ceamurlia killed and banned hunting in the Danube delta. The movement of people in and out of the village has been restricted and the transport of animals banned. Medical teams were going to administer flu vaccines for residents.

Unfortunately in some countries, particularly in SE Asia, many people keep shtum if their chickens become sick. The problem is the spread from one country to another, sometimes through migratory birds. There is avian flu in parts of Russia, and where I live in Australia, we have birds arriving from Russia - guess it's warmer here!

The thing is, that it can really spread fast. So far millions of birds have been crammed into bags and dumped into pits.
    Eve

it's kind of creepy that the press coverage here is limited, as if they don't want to scare the population.

a few years ago when west nile first came about, there was some news coverage but when the crows in the yard where i work started dying (with odvious neurological problems) we called the health department, they told us they couldn't help the dying crows but once they died put them in the fridge(watching them die was horrible). who the hell would put a dead sick bird in their refridgerator, until someone could pick it up? my dad put them in a garbage can with a giant note that said dead crows. the health department never showed. there used to be a very large flock of crows, 4 years later there are none.

west nile is nothing compared to the avian flu. i hope they respond a bit faster.

cross barer

Quote mophoto
    it's kind of creepy that the press coverage here is limited, as if they don't want to scare the population.

a few years ago when west nile first came about, there was some news coverage but when the crows in the yard where i work started dying (with odvious neurological problems) we called the health department, they told us they couldn't help the dying crows but once they died put them in the fridge(watching them die was horrible). who the hell would put a dead sick bird in their refridgerator, until someone could pick it up? my dad put them in a garbage can with a giant note that said dead crows. the health department never showed. there used to be a very large flock of crows, 4 years later there are none.

west nile is nothing compared to the avian flu. i hope they respond a bit faster.
    No if they want to scare the population in the US they'll just talk about a 'specific threat to the NY subway' which mysteriously came just a day or so after bushcakes detailed three 'foiled terrorist plots' in the US that for some reason had gone unmentioned until now.

Kevster

George is a hero.

cross barer

What can he hear by listening to the wrong end of the phone? Notice the photo behind him where you'd think his wife's would be?
    Eve

cross barer

Quote eve
    What can he hear by listening to the wrong end of the phone? Notice the photo behind him where you'd think his wife's would be?
    probably his wife on the phone.
    "I can't hear you honey!"

country dumb

Kevster

'Europe bans Turkish bird imports

Staff and agencies
    Monday October 10, 2005

The European commission today banned all imports of live birds and feathers from Turkey after positive tests for bird flu in the country.

The commission said it also offered to send vets to Turkey to assess the situation. In western Turkey, military police set up roadblocks at the entrance to a village near Balikesir and quarantined the area, while vets and other officials destroyed poultry at two turkey farms.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/st...588927,00.html

Kevster

'Turkey bird flu 'deadly strain'

The bird flu virus found in Turkey is the H5N1 strain dangerous to humans, the EU Commission has said.

Scientists have been carrying out tests for the strain on dead birds from a farm in Kiziksa, north-west Turkey.

EU Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou said the assumption was that a bird flu outbreak in Romania would also prove to be the H5N1 type. Tests are continuing.

EU states should be ready for a potential flu pandemic and stockpile anti-viral drugs, Mr Kyprianou urged.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4337918.stm

According to today's abc health news, if a pandemic emerges in the coming year, there will not be enough supplies of drugs or vaccines to stop it and basic medical equipment that could slow its spread is also lacking.

World leaders have been stepping up their efforts to battle avian influenza in recent weeks, holding meetings, making international visits and ordering vaccines and drugs. US health and human services secretary Mike Leavitt and a contingent of US and World Health Organization (WHO) flu experts are visiting affected southeast Asian nations this week and diplomats are working to make better alliances for sharing information quickly about any human outbreaks.

But many experts agree that little real progress has been made in stopping the spread of H5N1 bird flu.

Does anyone think the upcoming disaster is karma for what we've been doing to the chooks for so long?
    Eve

Kevster

I think the piece about farmers facing a disaster over bird flu is disingenuous, they'll get bailed out, as they were over BSE and foot and mouth....

'EU vets debate bird flu strategy

Staff and agencies
    Friday October 14, 2005

European Union veterinary experts are meeting today to discuss moves to halt the spread of bird flu as the continent awaits test results from a second suspected outbreak.

British scientists yesterday said the virus found in Turkish poultry was the H5N1 strain that health experts fear could mutate into a human disease and kill millions of people worldwide. The virus has killed 60 people - mostly poultry farm workers - in Asia since it first emerged in Hong Kong in 1997.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/st...592238,00.html

sugarmouse

Default foot and mouth

this worries me.because i know the government plot to do it again.i was thinking of working with my father and writing a book about what happened really last time it happened. does anyone have any views.

Default Re: foot an mouth

Why does it worry you? There may well be more to it than this, but in my nieve view, I don't think foot and mouth was a tragedy for animals, it isn't a life threatening disease. The tragedy was to animal farmers, who are already off my christmas card list. The upshot of it was that a lot of animals which were destined for slaughter anyway were slaughtered a bit earlier, but in the public eye. The more people stopping eating meat from fear of catching things can only be a good thing.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

cross barer

Saw on the news tonight a Biotechnology company with potential to profit from H5N1 bird flu, Biota has increased in value by over 300% in the last four months.

Perhaps the whole thing is a farce after all, to big up profits for companies like these.

Kevster

Media has kinda conveniently forgotten this:

'ANIMAL WELFARE ABUSES TO BLAME FOR BIRD FLU

With the threat of a global pandemic of avian - or bird - flu dominating the headlines, concern centres on its risk to human beings. Clearly this is of paramount importance, but it is about time we focused on the suffering of millions of avian victims who are being slaughtered in attempt to stop the spread. Coverage of the mass precautionary culling taking place throughout Asia and latterly, Turkey, Greece and Romania, never mentions the welfare of the birds, who are being killed in the most brutal ways. Nor the fact that it is the intensive systems in which they are kept that are to blame for this latest disease outbreak. It is only time before this virus mutates and starts to spread among the human population.'

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/

According to today's abc news on-line, a 48 year old man who had been slaughtering chickens in Thailand, is the latest human death from bird flu, taking its national total to 13, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra says.

But I agree with kevster, the news reports barely mention the welfare of the birds, who are being killed in the most brutal ways.
    Eve

Kevster

Hunters at risk.

'Wedded to the shotgun

Avian flu is now at large in Europe but the Berlusconi government appears still to support the annual Italian hunt of migratory birds, writes John Hooper

Thursday October 20, 2005

The arrival of avian flu in Europe has sparked a debate in a country with one of the continent's strongest gun lobbies over whether to ban the shooting of migratory birds.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/...596565,00.html

Default Re: Evil Flu

Just thought Id add this article i was sent here. Do with it what you will, but some of you may find it interesting. Patrick Holford for anyone who doesnt know is a well respected nutritionist (and advocates a vegan diet).

xxFlame7

Can Vitamin C Kill Bird Flu?

By Patrick Holford

In the July issue of my newsletter I interviewed Dr Thomas Levy, who has provided the definitive proof in his book ‘ Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins: Curing the Incurable’. He is one of the world’s experts in effects of vitamin C on viruses. Here’s what he says “Regarding the bird flu, I have not found any virus for which vitamin C does not exert a virucidal effect, as long as enough vitamin C reaches the virus, such as in any acute infection. I don't know about Tamiflu, but the vitamin C is virtually devoid of negative side effects.”

Although there no studies yet published specifically treating Asian bird flu with vitamin C, immune expert Dr Robert Cathcart, who has treated thousands of cases of life threatening infectious diseases with high dose vitamin C says “Treatment of the bird flu with massive doses of ascorbate would be the same as any other flu except that the severity of the disease indicates that it may take unusually massive doses of ascorbic acid orally or even intravenous sodium ascorbate. I have not seen any flu yet that was not cured or markedly ameliorated by massive doses of vitamin C.”

Antiviral drugs, such as Tamiflu, work by inhibiting something called neuraminidase, produced by viruses and essential for their ability to replicate. So too does vitamin C but this is only one of more than ten ways that vitamin C knocks out viruses, both by inhibiting the virus itself, and by strengthening the body’s own immune response, for example by improving the number of function of immune cells (eg macrophages, lymphocytes and neutrophils), upping interferon and nitric oxide and making more antibodies which target viruses. Vitamin C also has direct antiviral effects and has been shown to inhibit viral replication in laboratory studies, such as HIV-infected immune cells. In the case of HIV viral infection was inhibited by 99% within four days, according to research published by the National Academy of Sciences. (It is really a tragedy that this research hasn’t been followed up with a large scale human trials, but the sad truth is that, even though vitamin C has been shown to outperform AZT in lab studies , there’s no money in it. So it appears that there is sufficient biological plausibility for its role against the flu, but since we don't have the controlled human trials, it’s not proven. It’s a tragedy that these studies aren’t done for life-threatening diseases such as HIV and bird flu, but the sad truth is there’s no money in it because vitamin C is cheap to make and not patentable – unlike drugs such as Tamiflu. Vitamin C, in high doses, has been well proven to be non-toxic in both adults and children over many years. The same cannot be said for this new generation of antiviral drugs.

However, we do know that vitamin C reduces the severitiy of colds and flu. Over 20 controlled trials using at least 1 gram a day against the common cold have been published, showing that the duration is typically decreased by about 25% and symptoms are much less severe. You are going to need much more than this if you contract any kind of flu. One recent human trial found that students who took hourly doses of 1,000 mg of vitamin C for the first 6 hours and then 3 times daily had a decrease in symptoms of 85% compared to students in the control group. In the case of bird flu that might well be the difference between life and death.

It’s highly likely that vitamin C would be effective against bird flu if you can get the dose high enough. Dr Mark Levine, who works for the National Institutes of Health in the US, has shown that you can get plasma levels up to 200mcmol/l with 3 grams of vitamin C six times a day, at which point vitamin C becomes profoundly anti-viral. However, with intravenous infusion of 100g a day concentration goes up to 15,000mcmol/l. No virus has yet been shown to survive at that level.

The ideal amount of vitamin C for any flu is up to ‘bowel tolerance’. Start with 1 gram an hour. If you get diarrhoea halve this dose. If you don’t, double it. There are some forms of vitamin C, notably sodium ascorbate with riboperine, and lipospheric vitamin C that allow even more to be absorbed without reaching bowel tolerance. They are marginally better than straight ascorbic acid. Some people find ascorbic acid too acidic, in which case an ascorbate, such as sodium ascorbate, can be taken. It might be useful to have a supply at hand if an epidemic does break out. There is no harm in having 100 grams a day short-term, stopping once all symptoms are gone. If even this didn’t stop the flu I’d find a doctor who could administer intravenous sodium ascorbate. The trick with any infection is not to get it in the first place by keeping your immune system strong. I take 1 gram of vitamin C twice a day. If Asian flu breaks out I’m doubling that to 4 grams – one every 6 or so hours, and taking 1 gram an hour if I get any symptoms.

Bird Flu in Britian and Croatia

They are busi;iy slaughtering the domestic animals - at which point does the fear escalate into killing migratory birds?

So far there are 60 people confirmed dead due to bird flu.

For every person that has died due to bird flu, aprroximately 2.5 million birds have been "destroyed".

"Flu" kills a minimum of 250,000 people each year. The potential for a pandemic is quite high and it is likely to be global. It cannot be said that the bird flu is spreading - more that our awareness of where it is is increasing. By looking at small genetic variations between the strains it should be able to see the relatedness of different samples.

It seems alarmist to suggest that this is spreading when it is first seen in new areas; we were not looking before - who is to say it did not already exist there in the local woild bird population?

Croatia is preparing to ban the movement of live domestic birds and poultry products.

Might be time to start a new campaign:

"Scared of Bird Flu? Go Vegan! and end this! [insert picture of a broiler shed with thousands of birds.

Pointing out that these conditions are perfect for the development and spread of the virus *may* impact some people. I wonder if it could have a major impact however.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Saw an interesting doco thisweek on sbs, called cutting edge. It was about an Australian doctor who has been living in Viet Nam for about 10 years, and is dealing with the avian flu. Some heartbreaking incidents with patients who died, one in particular - a beautiful teenage girl. Seems the whole family ate duck, but she was the one whose lungs were destroyed. A brother got sick but reovered. However, what he revealed was that it is traditional among the locals who all keep chickens, that if a chicken is sick, then that's the next one they eat. They always eat sick chickens. So somehow I doubt if we are even getting accurate info.
    Eve

Free_Tibet

Default Bird Flu Nightmare Haunts Foie Gras Producers in Bulgaria, Hungary

http://story.parisguardian.com/p.x/c...c7a7beaced19d/

BIRD FLU NIGHTMARE HAUNTS FOIE GRAS PRODUCERS IN BULGARIA, HUNGARY
    Received Wednesday, 19 October 2005 10:55:00 GMT

For more info on the truth about foie gras - http://www.stopforcefeeding.com
    Watch PETA Video "The Grief behind Foie Gras" http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs....foie_gras_long

SOFIA, Oct 19 (AFP) - Bulgarian and Hungarian producers of raw foie gras fear that the deadly Asian bird flu might soon hit their flocks, while sales of the delicacy -- notably to France and Germany -- are already dropping off just as the lucrative holiday season approaches.

"A French wholesale dealer recently called to inform us that foie gras sales there are shrinking," Bulgarian poultry farmer Nikola Nikolov told AFP, adding that the business cancelled half its order for five tonnes of raw foie gras. "We will have to freeze it and wait for better days," he said.

Nikolov exports 200 tonnes of foie gras and between 350 and 400 tonnes of duck meat to France and Austria each year.

In neighboring Hungary, Petra Kun, sales manager with Carnex, a major supplier of foie gras and poultry to France and Germany, said French wholesalers "do not want to take a risk by stocking their shelves with imported poultry products (from Hungary)."

One of its customers has cancelled an order for five tonnes of duck fillets.
    Bulgaria's top exporter of raw foie gras, with an annual output of 500 tonnes from a duck farm near Brezovo, declined to comment. The company was recently acquired by a major French foie gras exporter, Euralis Gastronomie.

France produces 15,000 tonnes, or 90 percent, of the world's annual foie gras output and consumes 85 percent. The industry employs some 30,000 people.

Bulgaria's Fantastico supermarket chain reported a 20 percent slump in chicken meat sales since the bird flu alert was sounded in three neighbouring countries, Turkey, Romania and Greece last week.

Hungary has registered a 10 to 15 percent drop in demand for poultry meat, the slump reaching up to 25 percent in areas along the border with Romania.
    Bulgaria exports some 1,500 tonnes of raw foie gras per year, according to Boris Stoimenov, chairman of the Bulgarian union of poultry producers.

For its part, Hungary exports a total of 1,920 tonnes of duck and goose foie gras, producers' statistics show.

Both countries have already raised a high alert since bird flu was detected by their neighbours as manufacturers fear their lucrative business might be doomed even before the start of the high season from November through February.

"We called on duck- and goose-raising farmers to keep their flocks fenced in and prevent all contact with migratory fowl that will move south over Bulgaria during the next month," Stoimenov told AFP.

"Flocks and fodder stocks were all shut inside. Open-air live poultry markets were closed down," he said, adding: "Let God help us."

Bulgarian newspapers Tuesday suggested that "hysteria" had set in over the bird flu scare, reporting that a central Sofia street was closed to traffic for three hours on Monday because a wild woodcock was found dead on the sidewalk.

In the southeastern town of Yambol, a veterinary official ordered that a flock of ducks brought from the northeast of the country should be "preventively" culled.

The northern farm on which they had been raised was about 100 kilometers (60 miles) from the Danube Delta in Romania, where the first outbreak of the deadly Asian strain of the H5N1 virus was detected.

"It is inevitable that sooner or later a test will show positive (in Bulgaria)," Nikolov said. "If it happens to be in my farm, I will be forced to burn my fowl and turn the key on the farm," he added.

"And I do not hope to be compensated," he said.
    In Hungary, the right-wing, opposition Democratic Forum party warned that "the pervading hysteria risks to provoke a series of bankruptcies" among producers as customers steer clear of poultry products at the supermarket.

Last edited by Free_Tibet; Oct 22nd, 2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added in video

Red face benefits from foot & mouth

Brazil has reported 9 new outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease, bringing to 14 the number of cases among cattle and putting pressure on the world's largest beef exporter.

The damage to Brazil's industry could be a boon for Australian producers, apparently, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining!

Nearly 6,500 cattle have been destroyed since the first outbreak.

Forty-one countries have suspended partially or completely the importation of Brazilian beef following the discovery of the foot-and-mouth cases. The outbreak could cause serious damage to Brazil's beef industry.
    Eve

Default Re: benefits from foot & mouth

Is that a benefit?

If your country starts producing more beef itself to cope with demand, then effectively all that's happening is that the rich are getting richer, and people from the developing world are loosing the little money they have.

sugarmouse

Default Re: foot an mouth

i hear you.i am writing a thesis about it on request from my father-and because of this i have become obviousluy intruiged by what really happened.

Quote Mr Flibble
    Is that a benefit?
    Knowing Eve, I am sure she was being sarcastic (in a good way ).
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I have noticed over the years, Dianecrna, that irony is totally unrecognised on this forum. So sorry, Mr Flibble, of course it's not a benefit, but the quotation about the damage to Brazil's beef industry being a boon to Australia's, is not by me but was on the abc on-line. I merely added the comment about the silver lining - that was irony!
    Eve

Default Re: foot and mouth

I ironied my shirt this morning does that count

go to bed, it's getting late for you antony
    Eve

cross barer

Quote Phil
    Stopping poultry farming would not eradicate the risk of bird flu because wild ducks are carriers.
    It's contact with birds that is spreading the H5N1 strain so without human/ave association it would cease to be transmitted and also reduce the potential that the virus may mutate. Also are ducks always migratory, or only in the Northern hemisphere?

We get a range of migratory birds that come to breed in the Coorong National Park (Murray River mouth) and they come from Japan and other areas of Asia.

Since there is no water flowing out the Murray mouth, the salt levels are now three times sea water and only brine shrimp are thriving. They have eanded their dormant season now and there are no fish, no plants and no insects in the water for the migratory birds. I can only suspect that they will start to distribute to other wetlands that they don't often visit, bringing them into contact with poultry farms and other bird populations etc...

On the comment about eradicating the risk of bird flu - bird flu has always been there, it's just that this strain is particularly dangerous in human to bird contact - as Adam says. If there were not concentrations of 60,000 birds to a shed, there would not be the same concentrated mass of hosts for the virus to infect.

Large concentrated host populations means huge numbers of virus particles and that means that there will be a variety through genetic error within the viral population.

Take away the breeding grounds and you have majorly reduced the risk factors.

Let the people eat soy!

Default Re: Evil Flu

Quote Phil
    Hello,
    I suggest that every one look up info. about olive leaf tea and colloidal silver for possible protection from bird flu. It has reportedly been used for the treatment of HIV? It may help in getting rid of the ordinary viruses so help stop a bird flu from mutating. I wish the government would look at these natural treatments. So many lives would be saved. I wonder if the farmers put colloidal silver in the birds drinking water, would the chickens be protected.
    Phil
    Hi Phil! Can you post links to how the colloidal silver works?

I have heard that olive leaves have remarkable properties - there is some very expensive extracts in the local health food shop. Does it compare to neem oil?

cross barer

Quote veganblue
    We get a range of migratory birds that come to breed in the Coorong National Park (Murray River mouth) and they come from Japan and other areas of Asia.

Since there is no water flowing out the Murray mouth, the salt levels are now three times sea water and only brine shrimp are thriving. They have eanded their dormant season now and there are no fish, no plants and no insects in the water for the migratory birds. I can only suspect that they will start to distribute to other wetlands that they don't often visit, bringing them into contact with poultry farms and other bird populations etc...

On the comment about eradicating the risk of bird flu - bird flu has always been there, it's just that this strain is particularly dangerous in human to bird contact - as Adam says. If there were not concentrations of 60,000 birds to a shed, there would not be the same concentrated mass of hosts for the virus to infect.

Large concentrated host populations means huge numbers of virus particles and that means that there will be a variety through genetic error within the viral population.

Take away the breeding grounds and you have majorly reduced the risk factors.

Let the people eat soy!
    Also not every species will host every virus, no evidence as yet those migrating to southern parts will be infected. However, populations in the tropics will be subject to the highest probabilities of infection as they move to and from PNG, Indonesia etc.

Irony!! That's the word I was searching for, Eve. I should have gone to bed also as my vocabulary fails me after the sun goes down.........

By the way, I get your irony and I like it!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

ah, I believe everything I read online you see

I guess it could be a good thing for animal rights, dependant on whether au's standards for farming are better than those of brazil.

Kevster

If we'd stopped farming chickens we probably wouldn't have this issue of bird flu, especially not on this level. This virus has in all likelihood mutated from chickens in Western style factory farms in the East, perhaps where antibiotics are used less. It is important to stop chicken farming so new more potent strains are less likely to evolve.

Kevster

On the plus side? Looks like live bird imports may be halted to Europe. Perhaps we'll come to realise it's completely unnecessary.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/st...599635,00.html

Plus none other than vivisector in chief Colin Blakemore led the visit of 'experts' to a conference on bird flu, now there is a guy that knows a lot about non human biology.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4348768.stm

Quote Kevster
    This virus has in all likelihood mutated from chickens in Western style factory farms in the East, perhaps where antibiotics are used less. It is important to stop chicken farming so new more potent strains are less likely to evolve.
    Not forgetting that even if antibiotics were used, they have no effect on viruses.

Kevster

Quote veganblue
    Not forgetting that even if antibiotics were used, they have no effect on viruses.
    Rightly said, still may impact upon the immune system.

Quote Kevster
    On the plus side? Looks like live bird imports may be halted to Europe. Perhaps we'll come to realise it's completely unnecessary.
    I read somewhere that poultry were not to be included (by the British Government anyway) in the import ban as they don't consider them to be 'live birds' Has anyone heard anymore about this???
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

If the migratory birds have all got bird flu they are doing pretty well to keep on flying everywhere and not dropping dead in the oceans. How will they reach Australia if they are sick and coming from russia?
    "Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows" - Nietzsche :rolleyes:

cross barer

Quote Panda
    If the migratory birds have all got bird flu they are doing pretty well to keep on flying everywhere and not dropping dead in the oceans. How will they reach Australia if they are sick and coming from russia?
    Some species may carry a pathogen without it ever affecting them, however they pass it on to other species (as we have seen this virus is not species specific) and it may have minor or major impact on those it infects. Most of the birds killed by humans because they are infected may have survived the infection, but the fear/risk of it spreading drives the slaughter.

In short, while some species such as some ducks are obviously killed by this virus, perhaps not every species will be.

Quote Panda
    Imorted pigeons have been found in Melbourne that have bird flu antibodies - this means that somewhere along the line they have been exposed to bird flu.

Adam hit the nail on the head; if the animal has a strong immune system, it can go asymptomatic and still have a low level of the virus. If the virus changes slightly due to random mutation and is transferred through a population, it is entirely possible that a more virulent strain could arise. However it is more likely that a *less* virulent strain will arise as only selection pressures will force it in the direction of becoming 'stronger'. Survival of the 'fittest' applies to viruses too.

Of note - if you like star anise, buy it up now as there will be a world shortage soon as a compound in it is being used to manufacture huge volumes of the H5N1 anti-viral drug.

cross barer

^^^wtf???