Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Cow, Bird/Swine Flu, Foot and Mouth, E.coli, Salmonella, Ebola, Marburg...

Default Re: Foot and mouth disease found in cattle on farm

They interviewed a guy from the National Farmers Union on GMTV this morning that I saw some of before leaving for work. He was saying how awful it all is but that it won't be as bad as last time because they have 'learned the lessons' from then.

Ermm..you are still farming animals so I don't think you have actually!!!

I for one am sick and tired of my taxpayer's money going to compensate farmers for their stupid farming practices!!!!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Good sperm

Last time I checked carrots can't get foot and mouth, as they possess neither feet nor mouths. If we farmed for food not death we wouldn't be in this mess.

Yeah, exactly. It does grate on me a bit when I hear the farmers tales of woe, and how their livelihood is being ruined by F&M. Use your land to grow more veg, and the problem goes away.

Carrots may not have hands or mouths, AMF, but I did have some broccoli that looked like my friend Bonz. I'll try and find the picture for you
    I like football. And potatoes.

Second outbreak now, here we go...
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ughh, can't people just realise? Stupid fecking morons =/

Makes me so mad, the poor animals

The story is being presented as a purely economic item. One report spelled it out blatantly that animal welfare is not a concern, only farmer's incomes and the summer tourism trade being affected.

As a few of you above point out any sadness attached to the actual coverage of slaughter/culling/destroying simply reflects human unease with what goes on in their name every minute of every day.

Brings it all home when a big deal is made regarding a temporary ban on transporting/exporting animals en masse, such cruelty is standard 24/7 the rest of the year...

I couldn't help but notice that news crews were flying over the infected area, aren't these airborn particles? Could this cause problems with spreading? Also, I heard this morning that cattle are going to be transported eighty miles for incineration, how safe can this be with regards to not spreading the disease?
    I may be way off the mark here with my thoughts, anyone know?
    I like football. And potatoes.

Frosty. They say that the carcass transport is specially designed and sealed. I hope they are right.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Why are you two concerned that the disease is well contained?

Because if it spreads, they will kill thousands (or millions) of poor innocent animals. Why else?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Animals who are born to die for human profit anyway. That argument makes no sense.

I agree that it may be their destiny, but it doesn't mean they all might as well die right now. I'm destined to die at some point, but I'm not going kill myself early just to get it over with.
    Also, some of them are from breed herds and would otherwise be allowed long(ish) and normal(ish) lives.

also, the more animals are killed because of foot and mouth, the more animals will be bred to take their place. these animals would've been killed for food anyway, but if they're not eaten, the demand will still continue and more will have to die.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've been physically attacked by a female farmer, I've witnessed grown men break down, I've broken down myself.

On one occasion, I had just finished a cull. I went into the barn and then I heard something rustling. I looked up and saw a terrified calf in front of me.

The farmer begged me not to kill him, but I had to. I reported it to the vet and then I had to shoot him.

That calf haunts me every night.

Another time, I could tell a farmer was about to lose control, he was standing in front of me actually stroking a bumblebee.

I went over to him and suggested he go and get a cup of tea.

"Cup of tea?", he said to me. "I haven't eaten for three days".

Later that day, he put a shotgun to his head. I had to call the police to have him restrained.

'Not just tough guys'

Seeing the pictures on television has brought it all flooding back. I haven't been able to watch today. I can't even try to explain the suffering this is going to cause.

There would be eight or nine trailors piled high with sheep and cattle. It was my job to physically check them for signs of life.

Once I found a sheep that I knew was part of my cull from the night before. He had come back to life and been at the bottom of a pile of 300 carcasses.

People who say foot-and-mouth disease doesn't affect humans have no idea

People think slaughtermen are big tough guys, we're not. I'm 6ft 2in and 17 stone but I'm still human and I care.

The thing that hurts me most is that farmers were just begining to rebuild their lives.

The people who say foot-and-mouth disease doesn't affect humans have no idea what they are talking about.

It's ruined my life. I don't live anymore, I exist.'
    Oh my heart bleeds. Those poor farmers, having to go through all this. Not to mention the poor slaughtermen who have the worse job of all
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Quote Gorilla View Post
    also, the more animals are killed because of foot and mouth, the more animals will be bred to take their place. these animals would've been killed for food anyway, but if they're not eaten, the demand will still continue and more will have to die.
    They will only breed up to replace the levels of the animals that would have died anyway. When you hope for speedy containment of any issue that affects the livestock industry you're essentially hoping for live export and farmer's profits to be restored as normal rather than the current pause in activity and downturn in animal exploiting fortunes.

Imp,
    I agree that a pause in the business and a possible downturn are a good thing, but I still don't think we should ignore the early deaths of the cattle, and the extra that will live & die (as Gorilla said) to fill their place.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that the extra ( & early) killing doesn't matter.

As I said before the demand for animal products will stay the same and every single animal would have died to be replaced by one in their place anyway. Essentially for this brief moment that perpetual cycle is on pause, industry slightly dented. That equals less animal exploitation.

It doesn't seem very in keeping with veganism IMO to glory in the length of time the animals are allowed to live for pre-slaughter. Often in terrible, unnatural conditions, existing only to serve human means.

That argument would basically become as ridiculous as "Farmer A is better than Farmer B because he prefers to fatten up his pigs for six months and Farmer B only four and a half months". Could easily go in the other direction and say the less time they have to live as "livestock" the better...

the demand for animal products will stay the same (unless, hopefully, this outbreak will influence more people to go veg*n), but because the demand is not being met by those that are being killed due to foot and mouth, they will be replaced by more animals who would not otherwise have been bred. more animals overall will be bred, farmed and slaughtered, and that can only be a bad thing.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks Gorilla, that's exactly what I was about to say.
    Imp, we should just agree to disagree, I don't have any more to say on the matter.

What made me furious was a beef farmer - i.e his herd are going to be slaughtered anyway - crying because all his bulls had to be killed. He had raised them from calves and so was rather emotional.
    HELLO! What does he think is going to happen to them in the end
    Bit like an executioner crying his eyes out because his favourite prisoner, due to be executed next week, has died in his sleep.
    What complete oafs and morons.
    Silent but deadly :p

Its a confusing conundrum to work out the specifics of how many animals would benefit/die under the status quo. The fact is these animals were all in existence and their cause surely doesn't suffer for virulent strains affecting the industry that enslaves them.

If animal products are delivered in from other countries to meet the demand then that will be at a cost. Insurance for farming will rise, farming becomes a less attractive livelihood globally, the industry's PR suffers, people don't like seeing the hidden world of animal slaughter on their TV sets etc etc.

Anyway you'll be pleased to know the transport and export of animals relaxes from midnight and everything can return to normal for now...

Imp. Actually I'm not pleased. I'd rather the livestock industry remained in hiatus for exactly the reasons you gave.

cobweb

it just makes me spit with rage

cobweb

BTW just had an e-mail from 'Hillside' asking for anyone who lives within a 100 mile radius of the outbreak to stay away from the sanctuary, and if you are planning to visit RING FIRST to check if they can still receive visitors .

Gosh, sad to say but I think if the disease spread to a couple humans and killed them, there would be a great outcry among the average meat consumers, hopefully, resulting in more people becoming aware of the animals they eat.

Do you think that this infection has caused people to curb or reduce their meat-eating?

IMO it hasn't which is very sad.

On the same topic, do you think the avian flu would be so prominent now if we didn't have the poultry factory farms? I think "bird flu" is most-likely a direct result of close-quarter bird farms. no?
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

I'm sure you're right. See here for a thread on the topic.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote bugaboo View Post
    Do you think that this infection has caused people to curb or reduce their meat-eating?

IMO it hasn't which is very sad.
    indeed, most people will continue to stick their heads in the sand and carry on just as before. one can only hope some people will have had their views changed though.

Quote The_Lincoln_Imp
    Anyway you'll be pleased to know the transport and export of animals relaxes from midnight and everything can return to normal for now...
    if you think any of us would be pleased about this you've completely missed the point.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    one can only hope some people will have had their views changed though.
    Yes, I'm sure it can't be only us that notice the irony when farmers being interviewed shed crocodile tears over their lambs etc, all because they're going to be culled instead of slaughtered for food.

Also the ridiculous panic about the shops that won't have any meat to sell...though of course if everyone started eating our beans etc instead then I would be panicking as well

BlackCats

I think most people don't find it ironic, they probably think it's a shame that the farmers livelihood has been ruined. I think some people actually think farmers look after "their" animals and are upset when they are ill because they care about their welfare (not that sick animals means less profit for them.)

I'm so sick of farmers being on news complaining about all the problems they have and how they don't have enough money. Why don't they go and do another job? Morons!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    if you think any of us would be pleased about this you've completely missed the point.
    Where does a hope for quick and secure containment of "the foot and mouth crisis" begin and a return to normal animal industry business end?

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Why don't they go and do another job? Morons!
    Yeah assuming its still fertile enough their land could be put to efficient use in growing crops.

I seem to remember that at the last foot and mouth outbreak various vegetarian organisations reported an upsurge in enquiries. It's likely that a lot of the enquirers were concerned about their own health, but still...

from
    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/statveg.html

NOP Poll for the National Consumer Council, 30 March - 1 April 2001
    Poll of 1001 adults
    With the foot & mouth outbreak in mind, have you changed or are you considering changing your eating habits? Yes - 23%
    If so, in what way have you or would you change your eating habits? Stop eating meat - 29%, Stop eating red meat - 35%

ETA: Animal culls 'spark veggie surge'

I saw a news report last night and a farmer was in tears about his cows saying that the cull on his farm was done quickly and humanely, the next piece of film showed cows going to the abattoir now that the animal movement ban has relaxed outside the restricted area. I can only assume that farmers don't visit abattoirs or they'd spend their lives in tears. I find the attitude of these 'sensitive' farmers very strange.

The hypocrisy of farmers towards their livestock is something that really grinds my gears. They claim on the one hand that they love them like their family (their pets, you might more accurately say), but don't bat an eyelid when it comes to slaughtering them. To me it shows they have absolutely no 'love' for their animals, except in what they're worth to them financially.

There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

bouncybouncy

As many people have said: the hypocrisy is in equal measures astounding and funny.

Default E.Coli problem at Morrisons meat deli

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/6945353.stm

One elderly lady dead, and a few people remain very ill.

Poor woman

Default Re: E.Coli problem at Morrisons meat deli

Very sad.

Amazing....

They announce that the F&M crisis is over and then in the next mouthful they state - oh - it's back on again.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Wrong kind of snow probably, Frank.
    I blame the cows.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Makes you wonder just what they do in those research laboratories by messing about with various diseases.

Britain seems to get what's going or to start things off.

I wonder why?

The last F & M major outbreak cost the UK £8.5Bln.

We could have built a whole country of vegan organic farms with that lot.....

(*At this juncture - enter ''Cows With Guns''*)
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Daughter of John Gummer’s friend dies from human form of 'mad cow' disease

October 12, 2007

The daughter of a close friend of John Gummer, who famously tried to feed his own child a burger to prove that beef was safe, has died from the human form of mad cow disease.

Read more here.

Default Re: Daughter of John Gummer’s friend dies from human form of 'mad cow' disease

How horrible for her and her family.

Gummer's capitulation to the Tory publicity machine's shameful and laughable attempt to reduce public concern about B.S.E through its mouthpiece tabloids always seemed to prove his spinelessness rather than his stupidity imo.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Mahk

Default Largest meat recall in US history today

http://finance.comcast.net/www/news..../18/890191.xml

When will meat eaters wake up from their fantasy that the videoed abuse isn't happening all over the world and every single day. Their response is to have a meat recall, even though the majority of the meat made the day of the video has already been eaten. What idiots.

[YOUTUBE]eoIxBsO3iQI[/YOUTUBE]

Piticli

Default Re: Largest meat recall in US history today

I have seen it on the news today too here in spain. I was eating and my sister was seeing the tv and said she won't eat meat again, but, always the same, maybe she won't eat meat but she wear leather shoes. Now is my moment, i going to lend her a small vegan treatise.
    But like you say, it's happening all days in all slaughterhouses and farms in all the world. I only want this fucking company of death lost a lot of money, close and all the fuckers workers and their famylies have to beg in the street!

RubyDuby

Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

ugh! it never fails..every time i see something like that i know it is going to get me upset, but i have to watch. those poor cows!! i think that meat eaters should see a lot more videos like this one. they should see just what they are really eating..and what happens to those poor defenseless animals because of it. just that shot of all that ground beef coming out of that big machine...eeww!! i just dont see how anyone in their right mind would even consider eating that!!!!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Piticli

I think meat eaters haven't got heart, i'm sure totally. They haven't feelings. It's not posibble they don't feel anything seeing videos like this!! And the worst, they many times speak about meat like something funny and grateful.

Yeah, I'm watching the news right now, and they said how the school systems in my home town got like 300,000 lbs. of the 'tainted' beef (what beef isn't tainted?) BUT set it aside before it was used, so no worry!!

So utterly stupid. Then there was a woman saying that the system is so messed up to allow sick animals to slaughter. NO, the problem is that you're stupid enough to slaughter and eat animals, PLUS treat those animals poorly (or feed them shit) so they get sick beforehand.

JC

i know this sounds harsh, but if someone gets sick from eating meat then haha serves them right!!! grr, as if it's not bad enough they eat them in the first place, they complain that these animals they're slaughtering aren't good enough for them - how dare they!

well, its a matter of the scumbags in the meat industry along with the scumbags from the USDA who are basically "in bed together", for a lack of better terms. they aren't going to come down too tough on regulations for an industry that they themselves are profiting from. so they turn the other way and just ignore it. they actually have made it legal for a certain amount of downed cattle meat to get mixed in with the so called "human grade" meat. what is that?! i just can't even fathom what kind of twisted minds came up with the concept of feeding cows other dead cows or any other animal anyway...cows are herbivores. They`re designed to eat plants...grass, hay, vegetables. ya know, just like us humans. but...why buy the hay, when you can get the diseased cow for free?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi