Thread: Whistler

Default Whistler

I realise this is planning slightly ahead, but i'm slightly worried about it.

I'm going to whistler skiing at christmas, and am concerned about eating while i'm there, particularly as my mother is not very supportive of my veganism and hates it when i 'make a fuss'. i'm particularly concerned about eating on the mountain...

anyone got any experience?

amanda

Default Re: Whistler

little bump?

Where is Whistler? Any ski place in Europe is usually pretty loaded down with melted cheesey kind of things. Gnocci in tomatoey sauce is an excellent winter dish and any other pasta providing you check for eggs.

In France you also get the raclette which is a bit like fondu where everybody cooks their own cheese and puts it on boiled potatoes. There are usually crudités as well and you can get by well providing the smell doesn't bother you. Could you take some hoummos with you?

Out on the mountain I would probably take packets of nuts and dried fruit to keep you going if you need snacks.

Hope you have an excellent trip.

whistler is canada (hence why i put it in this forum ), about two hours east of vancouver in the rockies. i know vancouver is fairly good for vegans, but i have my doubts about the mountain - research hasn't boded well.

we're going for christmas, but i've emailed the hotel about that - just wiating for a reply...

amanda

We've been to Whistler twice whilst vegan and eaten really well! The mountain restaurants are "Awesome" as they say in Canada! We enjoyed Three Bean chillis, curries, huge salads from self service restaurants on the mountains, bean and veggie wraps.... The choice was really good.
    Also as there are so many ways down the Mountain into the centre of Whistler, many people head down for lunch, where there's even more places to eat!
    Most places seemed to be vegan aware, for those that weren't we asked for dairy and egg free vegetarian food. They are very hot on dairy intolerances (They don't want to get it wrong and be sued!) and are more than happy to check things out for you. In one restaurant I was told "sorry, I can not serve the bean burger to you as it is not suitable for your diet, but I can offer this wrap or this chilli! Off the mountain, we went to an Italian one night were we were told that the pizza was unsuitable as the base was not dairy free, and the noodles contained egg, but they could substitute rice noodles with any of the veggie past dishes for us! The food was excellent, and the service brilliant. I'd highly recommend for vegans!
    Ooh, you're making me want to go back! Shame about having to fly so far to get there!

wicked thank you, that's so good to hear. the stuff that came up on an internet search wasn't nearly so positive :s

amanda

just wanted to say, for anyone visiting whistler with a bit of cash to splash, HIGHLY recommend the bearfoot bistro, in the listel hotel.

i was there for nye, and they went to a tremedous amount of effort to give me a vegan meal. in the end, they matched every little 'amuse bouche' of the normal set menu. awesome. entered into with some trepedation, because had emailed twice with no response. but i checked in teh night before, and they said it would be fine, and let the server know. was a bit concerned, because whipping up a vegan meal with no warning generally doesn't put a chef in a good mood. however, they obv knew SOMEone was coming and were prepared. i let them know who i was when i got there, and it was all fantastic. even got called 'the lovely vegan' when being presented with my courses!

i wish i could remember everything i had...i know the risotto was lovely, as was the winter veg salad, and the mandarin sorbet. there was a little starter, but i can't remember what it was...three little parcel things that were mucho tasty.

rest of whistler very accomodating too. although watch out for the mountain club. have a vegan option on the menu, labeled as such, but i ate half the veggie one before i got to the cheese and realised they'd made a mistake in the kitchen. however, staff very apologetic and gave me my meal for free (remade, correctly), plus free deserts for everyone else. so not too bad really....just a kitchen error reading the docket i reckon.

eating on the mountain also really easy. so, in short - go to whistler, it rocks more than france

amanda