Thread: Bird's eye advert

Default Bird's eye advert

Has anybody seen the new Bird's eye "omega 3 fish fingers" advert? The one with suggs? If not, have a look here:
    http://www.omega3fishfingers.com/

If you take offence to its claims that Omega 3 is "in fish isn't it?", can you please complain to the Advertising Standards Agency (www.asa.org.uk).

Thanks.

Default Re: Bird's eye advert

Will do.

Suggs, how could you?

Obviously I don't enjoy watching adverts for meat or fish, but I don't really see what they are doing that is false advertising?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I'm with Twinkle. I don't actually think there's any false advertising here?

Yes, because they don't say only found in fish, so therefore it ain't false.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Surely the two omega three fatty acids found in fish are the non-essential ones that the body can make itself with the absorption of ALH - the essential one found in flax and fortified soya products etc etc.

Technically they aren't lying when they say fish has omega 3 in it cuz it does. It's just the non-essential stuff that the body can make anyway!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Oily fish such as herring or mackerel is a source of EFAs, but they don't make fish fingers out of oily fish, do they? They must be adding it, I should think.

I said this to the asa when i put my complaint in: I've no complaint about their claim that it contains Omega-3. They ridicule the girl for not knowing that Omega-3 is "in fish". It's not as if the family is a real family who, like the majority of tabloid reading dimwits, aren't told about "alternative" sources oh Omega-3. They don't say "it's in fish, and stuff" or something. It's blatant profiteering. They don't mention alternatives (or blatantly only say their own product contains it) simply so the blind consumer will buy their product and theirs only.

it'll probably get rejected anyway. I couldn't put across what i meant, like i've had trouble doing so here.

treaclemine

Quote harpy View Post
    Oily fish such as herring or mackerel is a source of EFAs, but they don't make fish fingers out of oily fish, do they? They must be adding it, I should think.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1777

In this promotion, Birds Eye say: "Alaska pollock is a member of the cod family but has much more Omega 3 than standard cod, which is a necessity for today's healthy living in both adults and children."

There isn't actually a huge amount in a serving, though - 3 fish fingers provides 18% of the RDI. And seeing as how they'd have you believe that only fish contains omega 3, then either people need to eat 1/2 a kilo of fish fingers or they need to eat some other fish product in addition to the 3 fish fingers.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

That advert annoys me on many levels! Firstly why the heck they are being so mean to the chick and why the kid throws the cards in the air the mum walks around blindly any hoo! It does irrated me that they are trying to advertise breaded fish as a health product - its so processed?? I understand the not mentioning there are other places to get omega 3 from as they are they to sell but the whole thing still bothers me.
    What you tolerate, you encourage.