Thread: Starbucks hot chocolate

Default Starbucks hot chocolate

Hi all,

Thought I'd share this info I got from Starbucks ref their hot chocolate...

"The signature hot chocolate used in the UK is not suitable for vegans as it contains milk powder however the classic hot chocolate is suitable for vegans when made with soya milk."

I had no idea there were two kinds

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default Re: Starbucks hot chocolate

cheers blue moon- it's always nice to know where you grab aquick bite to eat or drink on the go

RubyDuby

mmmm yummy.

I'll have to find out if that is true here as well!

I know their mochas are vegan when made with soy milk. I had them read me the ingredients.
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Oct 10th, 2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: mas informacion
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

In Toronto anyway, there only appears to be one kind of hot chocolate at Starbucks and as long as it's made with soy milk and no whipped cream, it's vegan.

The Starbucks here are also selling vegan brownies but they're way too sweet!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    mmmm yummy.

I'll have to find out if that is true here as well!

I know their mochas are vegan when made with soy milk. I had them read me the ingredients.
    they use the same powder for the mochas as for the hot chocolate... and it doesnt have milk in it. but it does have white sugar...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

They might be vegan but vegan doesn't mean my conscience would rest easy giving them money.

Quote Noogle View Post
    They might be vegan but vegan doesn't mean my conscience would rest easy giving them money.
    yes, that too
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

RubyDuby

if I'm late for work and dont have time to make myself coffee, I have 2 options.

1.) Go to a gas station where I can get a tiny styrofoam cup of coffee with white sugar and no creamer... or

2.) Go to Starbucks where they sell fair trade coffees and teas, offer soy milk, paper cups, and very friendly customer service...

Starbucks it is.

Sucks about the white sugar. I have such a hard time with the sugar thing. Luckily not all white sugar is tainted. Its a guessing game. I rarely buy mochas, as they are like $4-6 and they guilt ya with the tip cup... I'm big on 3-5 shots espresso in a big cup filled to the top with cold soy milk (and the raw sugar packets at the 'condiment' stand).

Foo lyn Tofu

drink tea.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    if I'm late for work and dont have time to make myself coffee, I have 2 options.
    3) make it at work?

4) don't have any?

Personally I do sometimes shop at starbucks - because I don't feel their badness is above my threshold in terms of company boycotts. If I did want to boycott them though then I would - irrelevent of whether or not i'd have to go without.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

RubyDuby

if i dont have any i have a terrible headahce all day. i work with barking crazy dogs and my job is to keep them calm. i need coffee.

i cant make it at work. i usually bring it with me... as i said "if I'm late for work" I dont have a desk job. I cant walk off and go make coffee.

did i say I wanted to boycott them?

its really awesome that they offer some vegan options however....I was a manager of a small coffee shop and starbucks ethetic are totally crap. they move in next door to small business and destroy them its actually disgusting. Plus they burn their beans to make them stretch longer.

Sorry I know this isn't a starbucks bashing thread, anyways...its really nice that a big chain is kinda offering options perhaps it will force the smaller chains to do so as well.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote RubyDuby View Post

1.) Go to a gas station where I can get a tiny styrofoam cup of coffee with white sugar and no creamer... or

2.) Go to Starbucks where they sell fair trade coffees and teas, offer soy milk, paper cups, and very friendly customer service...

Starbucks it is.

Sucks about the white sugar. I have such a hard time with the sugar thing. Luckily not all white sugar is tainted. Its a guessing game. I rarely buy mochas, as they are like $4-6 and they guilt ya with the tip cup... I'm big on 3-5 shots espresso in a big cup filled to the top with cold soy milk (and the raw sugar packets at the 'condiment' stand).
    I never understand when a vegan gives the 'if I've no choice I'll buy it' excuse! If you were at a restaurant with no vegan options would you buy the steak?

Anyway, I'm not meaning to question your ethics on anything other than vegan issues on this forum, so I'll not push discussion on your choice to spend money there, but for me there's reasons I wouldn't.

It is good to hear that big companies are recognizing vegans and those with dairy intolerances though.

Quote RubyDuby View Post

2.) Go to Starbucks where they sell fair trade coffees and teas
    sell, yes. but refuse to brew.

because of the "profit margins"....

hmmm... you think that four dollar mocha has enough margin for an extra 10 cents per espresso shot?

-henry miller

Quote missbettie View Post
    Plus they burn their beans to make them stretch longer.
    exactly!

it makes me so irate when people say, oh thier coffee is sooo good!

my response " you mean burned?"
    -henry miller

RubyDuby

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    sell, yes. but refuse to brew.

because of the "profit margins"....

hmmm... you think that four dollar mocha has enough margin for an extra 10 cents per espresso shot?

it is pretty ridiculous that places like Starbucks won't put money into things like that.

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    exactly!

it makes me so irate when people say, oh thier coffee is sooo good!

my response " you mean burned?"

My mother goes there when she is constipated. I guess I am spoiled cause I work in such a great place, my coffee palate is fabulous. lol just kidding.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Mahk

I'm not too up on the issue. Is the boycott only because they don't brew fair trade or is there more to it? Are there coffee chains that brew fair trade?

most of my protest against them is thier overwhelming, monopolizing business tacts, mahk.

and thier pulling the proverbial wool over everyones proverbial eyes when it comes to coffee drinks.

they add extra sugar and fat and then people get addicted.

most starbuckan americans would gag at a traditional cappuccino made in the correct manner.

the tottaly diluted with sugar and whipped cream what is a culture to some of us coffee freaks.

im sure independant coffee shop workers from around the world feel the same.
    -henry miller