Thread: Coldsores? natural cures

VeganLiz

Unhappy Coldsores? natural cures

I have got a big nasty cold sore. It is so itchy. I am using some nasty non vegan cream called Cymex.

Anyone know any natural remedies? please help...

Liz X

Tiggerwoo

Default Re: Coldsores? natural cures

Found this on a website for you, seems to be the best all round info and treatment website:

super cure for a cold sore (or fever blister) is to use Herpecin-L Lip Balm Stick. You can also use it when you go out for an extended time in the sun to prevent cold sores. If you put it on a few times a day when you get the first painful itch of a cold sore coming, the cold sore will not appear. If you already have a cold sore and apply this several times a day, it should not get any larger but start healing and shrinking right away. Put some on your finger instead of applying it directly from the tube so you won't get the germs in the medicine.

Or, you can apply St. John`s Wort essential oil. This contains tannins which dry up a cold sore. Because essential oils are very concentrated, only a drop or two is needed. Although St. John's Wort essential oil is not a pain killer, it seems to calm the nervous system and so is able to decrease the sensation of pain. It is also anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. It may be applied directly on areas where pain or inflammation occur, or on pulse points (wrists, on the back of the elbows, knees, etc.) during times of stress. When applied to the skin, it is delivered within seconds into the bloodstream and therefore bypasses the digestive process. The essential oil is for topical use only.

Or, saturate a cotton ball with Vitamin E Oil. Apply this to new cold sores and keep it on for 15 minutes. Apply the oil every three hours for the rest of that day, and then three times daily for two more days. In nearly all cases, pain disappears in less than eight hours.

Or, as soon as you realize you have a cold sore coming on, apply Witch Hazel to the site with a Q-tips cotton swab. It will immediately stop the process and prevent the spread of the blisters. Apply Witch Hazel frequently, and healing time is shortened to a fraction of normal.

Or, press a warm tea bag on your cold sore for 20 to 30 minutes, and tannins go to work. The next day it will be gone.

Or, When you feel that first tingle, put an ice cube on the cold sore for a few minutes several times during the day. Get the spot cold but be careful not to hurt your skin. This will stop the cold sore or at least lessen the its size. Later, put a hot rag (not hot enough to burn) on your cold sore to soothe the pain and help it to heal faster.

Taking Lysine daily should prevent cold sores. You can get lysine in non-fat yogurt, potatoes, milk, fish, chicken, and brewer's yeast. But, supplements are recommended in addition to these foods. Avoid foods with high arginine-to-lysine ratios, such as nuts, peanuts, oatmeal, peas, seeds, gelatin, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, and sugar - they reduce the effectiveness of Lysine. You should also get an adequate supply of Vitamin C, Zinc, Iron, B Complex, Selenium, and Vitamin A daily.

The germs from your cold sore can get into your toothbrush and reinfect you up to a week later. You can disinfect your toothbrush (after every brushing) while you have a cold sore, then replace it after the cold sore is gone. To disinfect your toothbrush, simply pour some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol over it, then rinse.

Hope this helps!

Wow very impressive Tiggerwoo!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Tiggerwoo

Quote Tigerlily
    Wow very impressive Tiggerwoo!
    Good old Google, thats the genius, not me! LOL!

Oil of cloves used to be recommended for cold sores - I used to use it but was never quite sure whether it was speeding my recovery or not. Happy to say I haven't had a cold sore for years, but mustn't tempt fate.

Cold sores should only appear when your immune system is working below par. At any other time, your immune system will keep the virus under control, and prevent it from causing problems. Once you have the virus, you got it for life, but a healthy vegan diet should go a long way to having a strong immune system, and so prevent the virus multiplying and producing the sores

Some tips on this site: http://www.animated-teeth.com/cold_s...treatments.htm

Or if you are stressed out or in the sun without any lip protection. I am a chronic cold sore sufferer since my toddler years.

I get cold sores occasionally. I caught them from my boyfriend about five years ago. They're horrible. I usually get them if i have a cold or when im due on. I feel so minging when i get them i dont feel like going out!! The only thing i found that works is a cream called zorvirax. But its tested on animals.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Thanks for the info!!! I get cold sores twice a year, each time the weather changes from warm to cold or cold to warm.

Also another remedy if you are out and don't have access to anything...wash your hands and gently massage the area. This works good if you feel the tingly sensation coming but don't yet have an outbreak.

Quote Tiggerwoo
    Found this on a website for you, seems to be the best all round info and treatment website:

super cure for a cold sore (or fever blister) is to use Herpecin-L Lip Balm Stick. You can also use it when you go out for an extended time in the sun to prevent cold sores. If you put it on a few times a day when you get the first painful itch of a cold sore coming, the cold sore will not appear. If you already have a cold sore and apply this several times a day, it should not get any larger but start healing and shrinking right away. Put some on your finger instead of applying it directly from the tube so you won't get the germs in the medicine.

Or, you can apply St. John`s Wort essential oil. This contains tannins which dry up a cold sore. Because essential oils are very concentrated, only a drop or two is needed. Although St. John's Wort essential oil is not a pain killer, it seems to calm the nervous system and so is able to decrease the sensation of pain. It is also anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. It may be applied directly on areas where pain or inflammation occur, or on pulse points (wrists, on the back of the elbows, knees, etc.) during times of stress. When applied to the skin, it is delivered within seconds into the bloodstream and therefore bypasses the digestive process. The essential oil is for topical use only.

Or, saturate a cotton ball with Vitamin E Oil. Apply this to new cold sores and keep it on for 15 minutes. Apply the oil every three hours for the rest of that day, and then three times daily for two more days. In nearly all cases, pain disappears in less than eight hours.

Or, as soon as you realize you have a cold sore coming on, apply Witch Hazel to the site with a Q-tips cotton swab. It will immediately stop the process and prevent the spread of the blisters. Apply Witch Hazel frequently, and healing time is shortened to a fraction of normal.

Or, press a warm tea bag on your cold sore for 20 to 30 minutes, and tannins go to work. The next day it will be gone.

Or, When you feel that first tingle, put an ice cube on the cold sore for a few minutes several times during the day. Get the spot cold but be careful not to hurt your skin. This will stop the cold sore or at least lessen the its size. Later, put a hot rag (not hot enough to burn) on your cold sore to soothe the pain and help it to heal faster.

Taking Lysine daily should prevent cold sores. You can get lysine in non-fat yogurt, potatoes, milk, fish, chicken, and brewer's yeast. But, supplements are recommended in addition to these foods. Avoid foods with high arginine-to-lysine ratios, such as nuts, peanuts, oatmeal, peas, seeds, gelatin, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, and sugar - they reduce the effectiveness of Lysine. You should also get an adequate supply of Vitamin C, Zinc, Iron, B Complex, Selenium, and Vitamin A daily.

The germs from your cold sore can get into your toothbrush and reinfect you up to a week later. You can disinfect your toothbrush (after every brushing) while you have a cold sore, then replace it after the cold sore is gone. To disinfect your toothbrush, simply pour some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol over it, then rinse.

Hope this helps!
    Brilliant advice. I do all of these. Would just enforce the ice cube suggestion - I think it really helps - applied direct also seems calm it down. It is horrid and cold (obviously) and painful but I do believe it helps kill the coldsore off. They are hell, I wish they'd find a cure.
    Go vegan!

Also avoid nuts and chocolate, which contain arginine. Arginine = enemy of Lysine and friend of cold sores.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

i have got a coldsore after a stressful time and resorted to non-vegan cream (lanolin and it is most likely tested on animals). I didn't no what to do and wish i had found this thread sooner. What do people usually do if they have to get medicine and can find no other alternative to animal-tested/ingredient based medicines?
    yum
    xxx