Thread: More-ish food

Talking More-ish food

What food can you not stop eating once you start - for me (as most of you know) it is medjool dates. They get so sickly but I cannot help myself and give myself a belly ache!

ugh lol. we all know i have a problem with fries :| sumtimes chips (today especially), and anything good. vegan grilled cheese sandwiches, waffles with syrup, icetea, pasta, smoothies.... cant think of anything else
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I have a friend who has a problem with bread - just plain bread!!!

Granny Smiths. I'm addicted.

I wish I could be addicted to dates and apples......it would be a lot healthier for me.

At the moment, I have a real problem with dried pita breads and vege pate. It tastes so good that one piece, turns into 2 and then 3 and then I have to put it away before I start eating the rest of it.

I'm finding myself addicted to the Happy Planet juices and smoothies too. This is probably good, health-wise as they are full of nutrition, organic ingredients, including organic fair-trade bananas. However they are expensive and that's not healthy on my purse!

Have any of you read Neal Barnard on food addictions?
    Eve

I haven't.

PinkFluffyCloud

Biscuits -if I open a packet, they're gone.

Quote eve
    Have any of you read Neal Barnard on food addictions?
    No - what does it say?

It's a great book, called 'Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings - and 7 Steps to End Them Naturally' (St. Martin's Press). Dr Barnard explains exactly why some foods are addictive, and how to overcome the addictions. When I read the book, and he showed how cheese is so addictive, I recalled when I was a veggie, and how I seemed incapable of stopping my cheese-eating! Fortunately I have no addictions nowadays, but strongly recommend the book to anyone who does.
    Eve

thanx for the reccomendation eve
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

CHOCOLATEEEEEEEEEE AHHHH

Also dates and turkish apricots.....and soy ice cream!!! and nuts!

Quote Banana
    I have a friend who has a problem with bread - just plain bread!!!
    Yeah I can sympathise with that - seedy breads, corn breads, nutty breads... YUM

I once ate 500g of dried apricots and HELLO the stomahc ache OUCH!

I can also sympathise with the apple thing - I can just sit and eat bags on end of apples

Oh - porridge and jam, Jordan crunch cereal, and muesli are VERY more-ish

However if I am in a more-ish mood it is generally for unhealthy sweet things like soy ice cream, soya milk, soya yoghurts, biscuits (dipped in soy cocoa often), flapjakcs or vegan fudge.

Quote eve
    When I read the book, and he showed how cheese is so addictive, I recalled when I was a veggie, and how I seemed incapable of stopping my cheese-eating! Fortunately I have no addictions nowadays, but strongly recommend the book to anyone who does.
    Eve, how would you distinguish between an addiction and just really liking something? I know I joke that I am addicted to dates, but now I am wondering if I actually am !!!!

I had four dates tonight...er...the food!

Hehe.

I don't know the scientific difference, but I guess if you can't get through a day or so without your fave food, such as cheese or chocs, you may well be addicted! But I'm no expert, only going on my own experience in the past.
    Eve

That makes me addicted to apples!

Quote Artichoke47
    I had four dates tonight...er...the food!

Hehe.
    [FONT=]
    I just ate 4 medjool dates now - big gooey sickly sweet delicious medjool dates!!!!
    [/FONT]

In the 1970s while in Thailand, I did two specific meditations, lasting a few weeks, one on 'The Loathsomeness of Food'. It was really and truly awesome, and I've always been thankful to have done that. The other meditation was on 'The Loathsomeness of the Body'. I can't go into the details for either of those meditations, because they have to be experienced, but it's something I've never forgotten. This thread reminds me.
    Eve

At the moment, my thing is figs.

Smoked Tofu
    Alpro Choc Soya Shake (the fresh ones from the fridge they sale in most shops)
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote snaffler
    Smoked Tofu
    Alpro Choc Soya Shake (the fresh ones from the fridge they sale in most shops)
    Mmmm, I love that stuff!

i would say food in general.
    once i take a bite i'm gonna eat till i'm ill, unless it's veggies or fruits.
    but then i have a problem

specifics for me are chocolate, and yup breads...if i have some i'm gonna stuff myself, and currently peanuts.. horrible tasty cruchy peanuts just daring me to try to eat just a few. i sit there on the floor eating them telling myself okay i will have five more then be done then i have those five and don't stop and start freaking out and cracking them at an alarming rate getting shells and bits all over the floor and myself not even enjoying them but unable to stop untill i realize i must have had about 100 of the little fuckers then i go eat an apple and some grapes but thtis not enough so i have a peice of bread then another and then three bowls of cereal till i feel so il i can no longer swallow then lay down disgusted almost in tears and fall asleep. this is my life.

PinkFluffyCloud

8 winks, you are so like me! Do you think it's really connected to our shared illness (Bi-Polar Depression)????????????????

Look after yourself, eat well (good foods), and exercise, it is working for me! Good Luck!

Clearspring black & white sesame rice cakes, can't get enough of those fellas when I start!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Chips/crisps-whatever you call them. I don't buy them because I'll eat them.

Strawberries + cherries: just keep popping them.

Fresh, crusty whole-grain bread: I will eat it until I burst, it's horrible.

eve,

I've been meaning to read that book for obvious reasons. I've heard several good things about the book.

bombay mix the chunkier the better. I cannot leave an unfinished bag, though I do not crave it, like feline says I try not to buy it because I'll eat it all and feel ill but once in a while... yum
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

Trail mix is ussually my biggest seduction food. I haven't bought any in a while because most of it contains some kind of cholcolate and I don't know how to tell the difference between vegan and non-vegan chocolate. I was thinking about making my own by mixing peanuts, almonds, banana slices, and other dried fruit.

Also a toased slice of bread with some jam or jelly on it always leaves me craving another.

peanut butter puffins!!! also reallly fresh juicy sweet fruit. if its really juicy and fresh i cant stop myself ever

ooh i forgot gucaomole and chips! or hummus and anything