Thread: Time to mock plant-based diet is long gone - Joanna Lumley

Default Time to mock plant-based diet is long gone - Joanna Lumley

Quote emzy1985
    Judging from Joanna Lumley in The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle2666294.ece

"We may not all want to be vegans – though the time to mock their plant-based diet is long gone ..."

as well, the message is finally percolating into the UK mainstream!
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 20th, 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: original thread ( http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17040 ) split into two

Default Re: Time to mock plant-based diet is long gone - Joanna Lumley

Fantastic article! I'd like to think the global warming argument can play a big role in getting people to cut their animal produce consumption.

Role on green taxes on meat, dairy, eggs and honey.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

It's a great article - straight forward and to the point. What else is there to know about meat consumption? The article said it all. But unfortunately it seems to be such a hard and complicated issue to grasp for most people in this world.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

BlackCats

It is a good article. I personally don't think it is hard hitting enough but I suppose that is to be expected and I wouldn't want people to be alienated by the idea of veganism just for animal rights as I think mostly people don't care much about animals.

I think if people are informed about the environmental impact of meat and dairy maybe they might make an ethical decision.

(I read the comments where the readers had their say at the bottom, grrr so annoying. I find it amazing that so many people make the mental link between vegetarianism and Hitler.)

who, incidentally, wasn't a vegetarian.

http://www.veg-world.com/articles/historical.htm

On a side note, does anybody else imaging Lumley's dulcet tones in their head whilst reading this article?

Quote BlackCats View Post
    (I read the comments where the readers had their say at the bottom, grrr so annoying. I find it amazing that so many people make the mental link between vegetarianism and Hitler.)
    I was watching QI with Stephen Fry last night. One of his interesting facts was a study into internet forums. Apparently, if any thread goes on long enough, a discussion about anything at all, someone will make a comparison to Hitler, and at that point the argument is lost for the person who makes that post. So it's not exclusive to discussions about vegetarianism!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Apparently, if any thread goes on long enough, a discussion about anything at all, someone will make a comparison to Hitler, and at that point the argument is lost for the person who makes that post.
    They call that Godwin's Law - ETA the first bit anyway; not sure who came up with the idea that you automatically lose the argument.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    On a side note, does anybody else imaging Lumley's dulcet tones in their head whilst reading this article?
    Hahaha! Yes! I thought it was a great article too.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"