Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Joy of Vegan Baking

I just borrowed this book from the library. It looks quite good but I haven't made anything from it yet. I want to make the melonpan and the naan bread, has anybody else made these recipes?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Joy of Vegan Baking

I have this book and i have cooked quite a few recipes which all work well and were delicious, even my family ( whihc are omnivore) were impressed on how good the cakes were. I do recomand this book .

I've looked at buying this several times, but have never been convinced. I will buy it as my next vegan cookbook

Brilliant cookbook, definitely. My partner regularly makes cookies from it to take to work (the Choc Chip Mint cookies and the Peanut Butter cookies always a hit! And very straightforward, easy recipes.)

I very much recommend making the Blueberry Orange Bundt Cake, for which I did buy a Bundt tin! Again, I have made this a few times now and always turns out great.

An inspiring book which has great ideas, isn't daunting, and isn't too impossible with ingredients and methods
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote pusskins View Post

I very much recommend making the Blueberry Orange Bundt Cake, for which I did buy a Bundt tin! Again, I have made this a few times now and always turns out great.
    this is one of my favourite too ! even my omnivorous friends were impressed by it !

I made the melonpan (Japanese sweet bread) today. It was nice but I had an issue with the dough layer- I think the dough was too liquidy and therefore the layer on top of the yeast bread was too thick and spread alot during cooking. Still tasted nice though . I made chocolate and green tea versions too.
    Houmous atá ann!

Mmm - sounds like a good choice you made for yourself, there! Let us know how the naan bread goes.

Quote pusskins
    Mmm - sounds like a good choice you made for yourself, there! Let us know how the naan bread goes.
    Thanks . I made the naan bread a few weeks ago but accidentally with self-raising flour so it puffed up something fierce. I have enough shop-bought naan to keep me going for the moment but I will try the recipe again soon with plain flour and see how I get on.
    Houmous atá ann!

Doh! You fool Lucky you can get shop-bought naan bread. Can't get any here! Did you still eat the stuff you made? Was it edible?

Reminds me, in a way, of a mistake my best friend made years ago which we bring up on a regular basis. Handwritten recipe from her gran for scones. She misread 1 l tsp as 11 tsp of baking soda. Fizzy funny scones!

hedgehoglovely

^ haha I always misread recipes. For instance one of the first vegan cakes I made I used an american recipe for some reason and I thought '1/2 cups' meant 1 or 2 cups instead of half a cup and I ended up with a very liquidy oily cake batter to say the least which didn't even make it into the oven!

Blueberries, melonpan sound very unusual but yummy . You seem like a very talented baker

@ Pusskins, it was definately edible but too puffy to be naan

@ Hedgehoglovely, thank you for the compliment but I don't think I'm a particularly good baker, I mess stuff up all the time!
    Houmous atá ann!

I made the chocolate cake from TJOVB to make into a chocolate swiss roll (with chocolate buttercream from VCTOTW). Upon rolling it broke a bit but that was because it was so moist and delicious! Its a super simple recipe which doesn't need any special ingredients, not even non-dairy milk, which I think would be perfect for any non-vegans' first forray into vegan baking.
    Houmous atá ann!

Smile Re: Joy of Vegan Baking

There is a recipe for a dark chocolate tart in this book which is amazing and comes served with a raspberry coulis. YUMMY. I also made a cake from here that was very tasty.

One thing I have learned recently and that is the use of palm oil in Earth Balance products. This book uses that brand in many of it recipes. Even though EB states that they only get their palm oil products from RSPO members, organizations listed as RSPO members have been identified as those practicing rainforest destruction especially those that are home of orangutans. The documentary Green highlights (http://www.greenthefilm.com/) the problem of palm oil and the companies that support them.

Therefore, I would request that when making the excellent recipes in this book please find alternatives to using Earth Balance as an ingredient.

Thanks,

On behalf of the Orangutans.