Thread: what's millet supposed to be like when cooked?

Default what's millet supposed to be like when cooked?

I cooked some millet following the recipe on "the world's healthiest foods" website -- 1 cup of millet cooked for 25 minutes in 2.5 cups of water. It seems to me that it turned out strange. I was expecting it to be like rice or quinoa, but it's not. Itīs crunchy! Is that how it's supposed to turn out? I took a bite, and itīs edible; it has a bit of a nutty flavor, but I have the feeling I did something wrong. Are you supposed to buy it unhusked or something? Does anybody out there eat millet?

Default Re: whatīs millet supposed to be like when cooked?

I sometimes buy it but haven't recently and can't remember how long I cook it. However I know I cook it until it's stopped being crunchy and is more sort of puddingy. There are a few recipes on the web which say you should cook it until it's "tender", e.g. http://www.cookadvice.com/recipes/mi...849-recipe.htm - although that isn't very clear about how long this should take.

I haven't seen it sold without the husks.

I cook millet for longer, about 30 to 35 mins. Also i use more water, 3 cups to one cup of millet. It certainly is worth eating regularly as it is one of the most nutritious grains you can eat, packed with minerals and vitamins, and it is also easily to digest.
    You can also buy flaked millet and millet flour. Flaked millet makes a great pudding cooked with soya milk, raisins and honey.

Quote furrytips View Post
    honey.

Mixing porridge oats with millet is a great way to eat nutritious millet even if a person is not that keen on the taste/texture. We have started making our porridge this way for a great protein boost. Some MAPLE SYRUP to sweeten and ta-da! Perfect vegan yums.
    Last edited by Heartsease; Oct 24th, 2007 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Forgot 2 words essential to proper structure of the sentence!?! :o)
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

Whoops, sorry, i haven't cooked this since i became vegan a couple of months ago. If i did cook it, i would use maple syrup, which has become my honey substitute, and which i am now addicted to (i have a very sweet tooth)

I've tried mixin cous cous with maple syrup which is good too but in my experience porridge hasn't turnied out too nice when i've added things like extra grains and nuts/seeds to it, it just tastes bad, but that's probably because i never eat it.

I don't like millet unless it is cooked to mush. A few gratings of nutmeg and almondbutter or some such stirred in, yum. Cooled, it is very much like polenta and can be sliced.

As a 'polenta' I have added savoury seasoning and chopped veg. Looked pretty but didn't go over well in kindergarten packed lunch... oh well
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I've never had it....will have to give it a go.

i bought millet recently. on the label it was said to be cooked 20 minutes, with a double amount of water than of millet. still crunchy so i'm a bit disappointed, but i'll try next time with more water and leave it for 30 minutes instead of 20.

I love millet ! Rest of my family dont !
    Have you tried millet flakes they are easier too cook.
    I usually cook my millet until it's soft. Although because the rest of the family don't like it I haven't cooked it for a while. I will be cooking them millet burgers this month though.. so I'll let you know how that goes on !
    LOVE PEACE and HUGS

i usually cook millet until its soft as well. if the water is gone, add some more and go ahead with cooking.

ah, and i love it, when itīs gone mushy!!! LOL u can also form great patties of that millet-mush-thing, add some veggies, nuts... whatever. or what also is great: cook the millet with some veggie broth.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Default Re: what's millet supposed to be like when cooked?

I cooked it yesterday. I put 150 grammes millet grains in pan with 375 ml water, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, which takes about 10 minutes.
    Its easy to burn it on the bottom so after a point you have to remove it from the heat and let it steam itself.
    The grains come out a little like cous cous, but if you cooked it longer it could go to a porridgy consistency.
    I then let it cool, mixed it with some cold mixed beans, some veggies, a dressing, some engevita flakes, and served it with a mixed salad.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/