Thread: cat scratch fever, hubby has it

Default cat scratch fever, hubby has it

My husband has just been diagnosed with cat scratch fever. He startled Susie the other day picking her up and she took a swipe at him on the neck. A couple knots have come up, he's had chills, fever and nausea. The doc prescribed an alternative to penecillin as hubby is allergic. He's upset because he can't have dairy while on the medicine. The doc says he should be okay. Anyone went through this?

tails4wagging

What about the poor cat, has he caught something of your hubby!?.(only joking!).

Its a good reason now to stop dairy altogther.

Seriously though, it maybe wise to get a blood test for toxoplasmosis?.

Hope he will be better soon.

I think I had this once as a teenager, although the GP insisted it was a sweat rash I mainly just noticed the rash, and it went off without treatment once my kitten grew up sufficiently to stop treating me as a pincushion

I looked it up on the web recently on behalf of someone else and it does seem to be something that usually goes away without any treatment, but I guess your OH should keep taking the medicine (and ditch the dairy produce ) Hope he feels better soon.

Ha ha, I'll ask him if Susie needs to see a vet ;-)

What's toxoplasmosis? The doc ran a blood test. I don't know if he looked for that specifically.

Hubby has peptic ulcers which impair his immune system. He seems to catch stuff real easy, something about the acid in his stomach not killing off bacteria?

As for dairy, he has now consulted the pharmacist who told him he could "still have his dairy and his medicine" by taking the medicine between meals!!! That stuff really is addictive :-(

You can read about toxoplasmosis here http://www.fabcats.org/sorting_fact_from_fiction.html (page down until you come to the bit about Diseases which can pass between cats and people - there is also a bit about cat scratch disease)

...but I don't think he would be very likely to catch it from a scratch; it seems to be more from cleaning litter trays that people get it (or from raw meat).

Thanks for the link. I'll look over it tonight.
    No worry on hubby catching something from cleaning the litter box. That's my job ;-)

tails4wagging

If he stopped drinking milk, his stomach acid would stop. Tell him to cut down fat in his diet that also helps.

he knows that dairy has a lot of acid and he knows he should cut the fat but knowing isn't doing....
    He tells me that eating high fiber food upsets his ulcers. However, eating fast food does the same thing.

Andie, how's hubby? Recovered yet?
    -JK

JK,
    It appears the lumps in his neck have gone away. The sore is also gone
    Thank you so much for asking.

tails4wagging

the lumps in his neck, were probably his lymph glands inflamed.

Are those the same things that swell up when you get a cold or flu? Right under your jaw line?
    -JK

Yea, nodes are the things that swell up. I think they act as filters for the junkie stuff?