Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganomicon

Default Re: Veganomicon

I was looking at the chickpea cutlets. I'm not familiar with vital wheat gluten. Would flour do as a substitute? I haven't seen it in the local health food shop, though I haven't actually asked.

hedge

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Have you got the UK or US version? Because there are a few conversion mistakes in the UK one.

Are there? I have the UK version and if my memory serves me well (too lazy to go look now) then it does tell you to add Ginger twice - but I gathered that was wrong so just left it.
    The Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe in there is completely wrong - I know that for a fact because I made them and they required a quick rescue job of adding Soya milk and more marg. I posted about that recipe on my blog and most people agreed with me that the recipe is wrong in the UK VWaV.

Quote Verencemos View Post
    I was looking at the chickpea cutlets. I'm not familiar with vital wheat gluten. Would flour do as a substitute? I haven't seen it in the local health food shop, though I haven't actually asked.
    The wheat gluten allows the chewy texture and the "glue" to hold them together...i'm pretty sure flour wouldn't really work too well...

a lot of normal grocery stores have it because it is an ingrediant in making some bread...just ask!!

chickpea cutlets are my fav!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    i've never tried curry...so then i guess i should try this recipe...
    You should. I just made it a couple weeks ago and it was delish. I posted a picture here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...t=21573&page=8.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

The wheat gluten allows the chewy texture and the "glue" to hold them together...i'm pretty sure flour wouldn't really work too well...

a lot of normal grocery stores have it because it is an ingrediant in making some bread...just ask!!

chickpea cutlets are my fav!
    Actually, wheat gluten is a nightmare to find in the uk... I've never been able to find it in any shops. But you can order it online: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/

aw bummer that sucks! why is it hard to find?

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    You should. I just made it a couple weeks ago and it was delish. I posted a picture here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...t=21573&page=8.
    okay i am definately making it now! lol I made the lemony roasted potatoes the other day...i liked them, but they were kinda weird...there is another recipe in there for roasted potatoes...i can't remember the name but it has musterd in it, that one IMO was much better.

Regarding the comments about nutmeg in doughnuts ...

Storebought North American doughnuts, either in supermarkets or those coffee & doughnut shops, don't really taste of anything. They are just overly sweet and otherwise lacking in any real flavour.

Nutmeg is, in fact, a traditional ingredient in homemade doughnuts, and to me, a doughnut isn't a doughnut without nutmeg.

I think the doughnut cupcakes in Vcon are lovely. I've made them a few times [always with nutmeg] and they get snaffled down straight away. Delicious!
    To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha

Finally, I've got the possibility to post in the 'Veganomicon'-section. (:
    After a month of possessing this cookbook I finally had found enough ingredients and a recipe I'd really may like and so today was the day of all days: my first self-cooked meal ever! And by 'meal' I'm not talking about noodles or rice - I've cooked these simple things before, that's no big deal for me, but I have NEVER ever before really cooked a 'real' meal. I'm so proud. (: Oh, I forgot to give you the name: It's the "French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme". (I hope that's the correct name of it). I just still don't know how it tastes, but it looks edible! I'm so happy. *_* This really made my day. (:

Edit: You can eat it, but it tastes like nothing.. maybe more salt?

Hmmm...did you get it to taste any better? I have been meaning to try that recipe. I'm wanting me some lentil soup and wanted to try a recipe different from my standard (the lentil soup recipe in the Chicago Diner cookbook).
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I guess my mistake was using only 3 instead of 5 tomatoes. And no bay leaves (because I was too lazy to walk to the supermarket just for this).
    But I took a bit more salt to make it taste better. (:

PS. My family loved the soup. (:

pavotrouge

the lentil soup recipe is the best of all I've ever tried

Good to hear. I'll have to try it soon.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

²pavotrouge. You tried it, too? =D I'd have loved to taste yours and see how mine should have tasted. x) Because I'm not a hundred percent sure if my lentil soup tasted the way it should.

I made the Lemony Roasted Potatoes this weekend and they were so good. They are strongly lemony, so be prepared. I couldn't get enough of them. My bf didn't like them that much, but that just meant more for me.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I got this in the post today. Absolutely cannot WAIT to sift through some of these recipes. I'll be checking this thread out for confirmations of winnng recipes.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Mine is in the mail. I'm thinking of making a valentine's day dinner with it
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Mine is in the mail. I'm thinking of making a valentine's day dinner with it
    I hope you received it by Feb 14
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I accidentally had it mailed to the wrong address (my parents house) so I won't have it for a while
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Has anyone made any variations of the ice cream? I am a little leary because of the silken tofu in the recipe. They sound so good but I don't want to invest in an ice cream make without knowing if it's a solid recipe.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Opheliac View Post
    Finally, I've got the possibility to post in the 'Veganomicon'-section. (:
    After a month of possessing this cookbook I finally had found enough ingredients and a recipe I'd really may like and so today was the day of all days: my first self-cooked meal ever! And by 'meal' I'm not talking about noodles or rice - I've cooked these simple things before, that's no big deal for me, but I have NEVER ever before really cooked a 'real' meal. I'm so proud. (: Oh, I forgot to give you the name: It's the "French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme". (I hope that's the correct name of it). I just still don't know how it tastes, but it looks edible! I'm so happy. *_* This really made my day. (:

Edit: You can eat it, but it tastes like nothing.. maybe more salt?
    I've made that recipe quite a few times, and actually you can get it off their website here for those who don't have the book. http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=105

Did you use the fresh tarragon and tyme? I use fresh and put in handfuls of it. It tastes awesome - my favorite lentil soup recipe.

I've been loving this cookbook! Mostly hits with only one miss so far...

FREAKING AWESOME:
    Tamarind Lentils (my omni husband's new favorite dish)
    Baked Potato and Greens Soup (my 2 year old loves it)
    Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup (sounds weird but it's great)
    Tempeh Shepherdess Pie (comfort food)
    Vanilla-Yogurt Pound Cake (insane with sweetened cherries)

NOT SO MUCH:
    Tomato Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans ( bland in spite of containing two HEADS of garlic and too much thyme IMO)

^ I love the shepardless pie, i always make that for my finance, who is an omni, he totally digs it, i don't use tempeh though i just get the premade "ground meat"

made i'll try the lentils next, was it easy to make? what did you serve it with?

made i'll try the lentils next, was it easy to make? what did you serve it with?
    I thought it was really easy! The hardest part was getting some of the ingredients; for the garam masala, whole cumin seeds and tamarind paste I had to stop at an Indian market but that was no big deal really. Actually it was fun. I served it over basmati rice with just a simple green salad on the side.

hmmm seems very yummy, and now i'm starving... lol

Tonight I made the Basic Braised Tofu. It was great. I've been trying to figure out how to make slightly chewy tofu (that isn't fried) since like forever. I think this is pretty much the greatest cookbook ever.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

^ if you freeze the tofu after you drain it, it makes a chewy texture. Have you tried the chickpea cutlets? those are very nummy and chewy.

I'll have to try freezing the tofu, thank you! And I've heard that the chickpea cutlets were good. That'll be next on my list.

So many good things to try. I'm having a lot of fun with this book.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

i know this is the best cook book ever!!!! yummy!!!

I bought it months ago but only made one or two things. I got to get on that! It's hard for me to get motivated to cook.

get cracking Diashel!

If I can ever get the kids to bed tonight then I am making lemon bars.

I ordered this cookbook along with VCTOTW and I've been drooling over the recipes and photographs throughout the day. Some of the recipes call for ingredients I can't readily buy at the local grocery store (which is why I love the helpful icons above each recipe, so I can quickly identify which recipes necessitate a special trip to the natural foods shop), but I am eager to make the pound cake, the Yuca quesadillas, the simple seitan and the BBQ black eyed peas collard rolls.

The lemon bars were nice enough but not fabulous. However,the leek and bean cassoulet was totally delicious. I'll definitely be making that again.

CrunchyMomma I totally want to try the seitan. I'm afraid though because every time I've tried to make seitan it's been a huge disappointment.

^ the seitan receipe is good in the book, i prefer the boiling over the baking though,....i loooove seitan...I havn't had it in months and months though...maybe i have an idea for dinner!

Glad to hear it! Is there a particular brand of wheat gluten that's better than another? I think maybe my mistake was using the type intended as an additive for bread...

^ I don't think so...I use a brand called Red Mill, but i think all wheat glueten can be used for bread, i think its your method of cooking it that alters the flavor and the stretching of the dough.
    I think its a bit of an art...but then again maybe you just don't like it. lol

I bought wheat gluten off ebay, and made the chickpea cutlets! Oh my gosh WOW!
    The spaghetti and bean balls weren't bad either.

I made the lemon and coconut bundt cake for my son's birthday, the batter tasted amazing but became quite bland once cooked, I'd double the recommended lemon ingredients next time.
    Silent but deadly :p

Reallly good!

Quote Rakey View Post
    I bought wheat gluten off ebay, and made the chickpea cutlets! Oh my gosh WOW!

I keep hearing rave reviews for these. I finally bought the stuff to make them today. The picture in the book looks very yummy. Any suggested sides or veggies?

the lemony roasted potatoes. yum! i make mashed potatoes too.

Made the cashew pineapple quinoa stir fry a couple of days ago, and it was very tasty. My OH really liked it too. Wish I'd taken a photo, but ate it all before I remembered! Will be making it again.

Quote smallhelen View Post
    Made the cashew pineapple quinoa stir fry a couple of days ago, and it was very tasty. My OH really liked it too. Wish I'd taken a photo, but ate it all before I remembered! Will be making it again.
    I love this one as well! Thanks for reminding me.
    My favourites are the chickpea noodle soup and the lentil soup.

pavotrouge

I love those too, as well!

now actually I gave away my Veganomicon copy... all the recipes I like I know by heart.

Quote smallhelen View Post
    I made this recently and it rocked. It's so pretty, too! I will be making it again soon for my OH to try.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Had another success with my OH - made the Cholent (stew thing).
    The only problem now is that he's gonna expect me to cook exciting things all the time!!

RubyDuby

ooh, i keep looking at that recipe, but haven't tried it yet. What's it taste like? How would you rate it?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

The Cholent was very tasty, although the TVP chunks could do with being marinated in something first. The chunks were nice and chewy, and added a nice texture. Potato bits and lentils also made it very nice. Decided to make it cos the book had a nice picture of the dish. OH gave it 4.5 out of 5, so must have been good.

RubyDuby

was it easy to make? i think i'll give it a shot this weekend.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.