Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganomicon

Thumbs up Veganomicon

This is the new cookbook by the Post Punk Kitchen girls, Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero. Their other cookbooks were Vegan With a Vengance and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World!

Just got it today - it's a HUGE hardcover cookbook - full of all sorts of recipe catagories - lowfat, quick meals, one pot, soups, casseroles, beans, tofu/tempeh, soy free, desserts, cakes, bars, etc.

Any reviews yet?

http://www.theppk.com/nomicon.html

Default Re: Veganomicon

that's funny,i read about this the other day. looks gooood. I love those folks.

I haven't bought this book yet but it looks so good... And I love that they included pictures I havent seen many vegan cookbooks that have that

Wildflower: thanks for the heads up on this book. I've just ordered it (along with two others) from The Book Depository

I preordered this book off of amazom.com but it hasn't come in yet...

Angela - I have the same problem. The suspense is killing me!

Me too! I ordered it months ago and was told it would arrive end of Oct. but now it's going to be end of November!!! Still, I am still enjoying looking forward to it

Thumbs up Re: Veganomicon

Quote vegcurry View Post
    Wildflower: thanks for the heads up on this book. I've just ordered it (along with two others) from The Book Depository
    Thanks for that link- cheap books woo hoo!

I have it and the dishes look quite tasty. I have been a bit disappointed though as most are too "fancy" (with some recipes with hard to find ingredients), labor-intensive (lots of steps), or time-consuming for me. Many of the recipes also seem to be for big groups--like 6-8 servings--which doesn't usually apply to me either (with some using ingredients like a 12 oz package of tofu for the 6-8, making it hard to just cut down the recipe w/o being wasteful). I guess I was expecting more of the "Vegan with a Vengeance" vein in being able to quickly and easily fix most of the dishes and this doesn't seem to be the case with this one It looks great if you're trying to fix things to convince omnis at a dinner party that being vegan is fab, but I'm not likely to do that any time soon.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

deleted repeated posting
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I ordered it from amazon a couple of weeks ago and it's apparently on it's way?? Wish it'd hurry up though!

my review:

i love these chicks.

and everything they do.

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

pavotrouge

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Me too! I ordered it months ago and was told it would arrive end of Oct. but now it's going to be end of November!!! Still, I am still enjoying looking forward to it
    amazon told me exactly the same. and guess what's now already waiting at the post office for me to pick up tomorrow ?

We don't order anything from Amazon themselves any more as they have dreadful service, we have waited for up to a year for a book before now.
    We use Amazon marketplace - individual booksellers who advertise on amazon but only your own country, inter country deliveries take ages or the book depository which is always excellent.
    Silent but deadly :p

pavotrouge

really? I always use amazon for English and American books because any other way (ordering from a bookstore...) takes 4-6 weeks. I've never waited for an Amazon book for longer than a week (except for preorders, obviously).

I have made the tamarind lentils and they are my new favorite dish! I also made the chickpea cutlets and those are pretty awesome, too! Isa and Terry are my favorite cookbook writers by far.

Yippee!!! Mine has arrived! When I had a flick through I felt as though it might be the last vegan cookbook I really need...Can't wait to try everything!

Hurrah! I got home to find mine had arrived too. Oh, those wonderful photographs of the food made me sooo happy to be a vegan.

pavotrouge

I picked mine up from the post office on Monday night.
    Haven't made anything yet, but I must say that I feel a bit disappointed.
    Or maybe it's the abundance of recipes that is overwhelming me.
    However, I don't like the layout at all.

Maybe it's only natural for me because VWAV was my first vegan cookbook and I learned so much about vegan food from it and expected something similar?

I got my veganomicon a few days ago. I've read through it and I think it looks great but I haven't had the chance to make anything yet. What don't you like about it, Pavotrouge? It is a bit overwhelming because it's so huge but I think that's a good thing. The only thing I foud to be disappointing was the over-abundance of potato recipes because I am alergic to potatoes. But since potato allergy is so rare I can't really expect people to accomodate it. I must suffer in silence...

I received mine a couple of days ago and managed to have a fairly good look through it last night....personally, I think it looks great and can't wait to get cooking some things from it

Made my first recipe from it last night - chickpea noodle soup. Only, I didn't put the chickpeas in because I forgot I didn't have any... hehe.
    It was still really good though! I have way too much miso on my hands right now... so will be making it again soon

pavotrouge

Quote angelamc View Post
    I got my veganomicon a few days ago. I've read through it and I think it looks great but I haven't had the chance to make anything yet. What don't you like about it, Pavotrouge?
    As I said, it's too much, which is not really bad, I guess the book will grow on me like VWAV has.

The layout is confusing to me and well, I guess I had too high expectations.

Made my first Isa and Terry recipe last night chocolate cupcakes with chocolate swirly icing with orange and lemon jellies on the top - piggin marvelous - so completely appropriate that my copy arrived today. Photos are gorgeous. Recipes look inviting. Info looks down to earth. Am impressed. Am now off to get immersed!

Made a couple of things from V'con tonight on a whim (it's cupcakes 'cos I ALWAYS have baking ingredients handy)

I made Caramel Spice-Apple Cupcakes - these are lovely, very sweet, but lovely never the less...I have no idea whether the penuche frosting turned out as it should do but it looks okay and tastes great so I'm not too bothered really

Also made the Jelly Donut Cupcakes - unfortunately the jam didn't sink into the cupcake as the recipe said it would do, so they're not as pretty as they should be (next time I'm definitely going to make a well in the batter to drop the jam into) but these are just YUMMY so still happy with them!

Inside shot:

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

pavotrouge

triple-yum!

Any leftovers to ship?

Loads, only had one of each so far!

pavotrouge

yay! we should have v-con food swaps!

Cool, I'll have some of the White Bean Alioli please!

pavotrouge

ok, if you don't mind that people in public places run away from you...

we went to see a ballett last night and people kept turning their noses and we thought: "What, was it because we're pierced/younger than 100 years old/so hot?" until we realized we must stink of garlic.

vegan garlic breath takes over the world!

(If I'm ever going to write a cookbook, that'll be the title)

This weekend I made the Almost All American Seitan Potpie which went down really well with all the family. I especially liked the chickpea flour pastry which was crispy and good. I used vegan margarine instead of shortening since I can't get anything shorteningish.
    Tomorrow I plan to make the cauliflower and mushroom potpie with black olive crust. The colder weather is making me fancy pies, lucky I've been to aerobics tonight.
    Pavot - I know what you mean about feeling as though the book needs to grow on you. I like it but did find it a bit overwhelming before I had made anything. Poison Ivy - when are you going to start selling your cakes on-line, you'de make a mint!

I've made the jelly donuts cupcakes once too and the jelly also didn't sink in as promised I think next time I'll put the jelly in the middle...put some batter, then jelly, then more batter

I have a favor to ask of anyone who has this book already. I already asked on ppk but nobody's responded yet.

I don't have the book yet (going to buy it soon as I can afford it) but I heard there's a recipe for Southwestern Corn Casserole or something similar, and I'm really interested in making it for Thanksgiving next week. My mom used to make a corn casserole every year for the holidays. Anybody have a couple minutes to type it up and send it over to me? Or scan and e-mail?

Pretty please?

Do the jelly donut cupcakes really taste like donuts? I haven't had a donut in yeeeears! yum! I think I'll make them for my class potluck on thursday!

my tummy just tried to eat itself while looking at those jelly donut cupcake pics... omg yum...

I HAVE to get this book!

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Poison Ivy - when are you going to start selling your cakes on-line, you'de make a mint!
    Thanks Auntie I have thought about it but I'm not sure how much call there is really for mail order vegan cakes, and the market may already be covered by the few that are already in existence

Quote jamboxrock View Post
    I have a favor to ask of anyone who has this book already. I already asked on ppk but nobody's responded yet.
    I've PM'd you Jamboxrock!

Quote angelamc View Post
    Do the jelly donut cupcakes really taste like donuts? I haven't had a donut in yeeeears! yum! I think I'll make them for my class potluck on thursday!
    They're nice, in fact no, they're very nice...not sure they taste like donuts but they're still good.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I HAVE to get this book!
    Yes, yes you do!

Thank you, Poison Ivy!

And thanks to AuntieRozzi for offering as well!

I was just looking at this book on Amazon yesterday! I am thinking about picking it up, I a bit of a thing for vegan cookbooks.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

pavotrouge

Ok, so far I have made the white bean aioli, cranberry chilli sauce, 5 minute mango chutney, the spicy tempeh with broccoli (no rabe available here) and pasta, creole-stuffed peppers and quinoa muffins. All were fab!

Vegan w/ A Vengeance is wonderful because most all of the things I need spice and ingredient wise is stuff any common sense pantry/kitchen has laying around. I saw Veganomicon in a book shoppe today and thumbed through it, but didn't have time to really study any of the recipes. Is this book worth it to me or will I have to go out of my way to get more exotic ingredients and things to make some of the entrees (as a person earlier in this thread wrote)?

No, I would say the ingredients are very easy to come by. Especially if you live in Chicago, which is a huge city. She also has recipes labeled if they are regular grocery store friendly.

I have made so far:

tamarind lentils (a favorite!)
    lemon bars (the greatest EVER!!! if you have the book make them!)
    chickpea cutlets (very tastey)
    black bean burgers (fast easy and so good! a favorite!)
    Snobby Joes (very yummy, we like them a lot)

I think that is it so far. Tonight I am making the asparagus quiche with tomato and tarragon. I can't wait.

pavotrouge

I think the ingredients are a lot easier to find than those in VWAV. definitely pantry-friendly!

I made the chickpea cutlets and the fried potatoes from the brunch chapter yesterday. yums!

you gonna come London and bring some foods?

mmm im getting hungry just reading about it.. the book is on my christmas wishing list...

pavotrouge

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    you gonna come London and bring some foods?
    dear, I'd love to. but let's talk about moving to London in a year when it's realistic.

ok, I'm teasing again... today I made the lemony potatoes. wow is all I can say. I fell in love with lemons this morning.

cherrywisp

Ooh this looks exciting! I want it

We just bought this last night and I'm pretty excited to get some of the recipes started

We've made the blueberry and corn pancakes - at my OH's insistence - for breakfast for the last three Sundays. So good.

There's a few typos and omissions that are a bit irritating (e.g. the lower-fat banana bread recipe suddenly says to fold in chocolate chips - not in the ingredients list), but overall, I'm finding it just as yummy and insipiring as VWAV (though VCTOW remains my all time fave).

Also, I think being English and from an area of the UK without a vibrant Jewish cultural presence, I don't always know what the things are supposed to look like (like, what the heck are knishes?) so the lack of photos is a bit of a bind.

My knishes look like giant pasties....but maybe they aren't supposed to ;-)