Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganomicon

Default Re: Veganomicon

I haven't made nearly as many recipes from this as Vegan with a Vengence but there's a couple i've quite liked, the cranberry orange bread is yummy!

I almost made the pineapple quinoa the other day - went out and bought two pinapples, and the juice, and all the bits, but in the end I didn't have the enthusiasm. I made a pineapple smoothie instead.

yum, pineapple smoothie ! try it next time, it's really easy and delicious. in my opinion, the recipe is just fine without the soy sauce.

Quote Aurore View Post
    yum, pineapple smoothie ! try it next time, it's really easy and delicious. in my opinion, the recipe is just fine without the soy sauce.
    The last time i tried using fruit in this kind of recipe, it was mango tofu (VWAV), and I used 3 mangoes in the process. After I'd finished I wished I had've just eaten the mangoes raw, as it seemed a bit of a waste of deliciously ripe fruit! My smoothie was one step away from a pina colada - it had loads of coconut cream in it.
    I'll give the recipe a go one day, when i'm feeling more adventurous I think! cheers for the tip!

I made the lower-fat banana bread last night, and it was fantastic!

Not heavy or rubbery, like most banana breads.

Delish.

RubyDuby

has anybody tried the broccol potato soup?

my mom just had her tonsils out and can only have liquids. i was hoping thered be a creamy version to make but no luck. i think im going to just blend it really well.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Blend it really well, maybe toss in a few croutons, if they're really moist she might be able to swallow them.
    Or try adding a little cornflour, i always do that for sauces, and it helps thickening them.

RubyDuby

thanks!

I actually just made it. She couldnt eat anything but popcicles the past couple of days, but today is a little better.

I ended up leaving out the onion and garlic, only using 3 c broth + 3 c water, food processing everything and put in 1/2 a container of tofutti sour cream. It actually turned out pretty good. Oh yeah, and I added a leftover 1/2 can chickpeas.

I was expecting it to be bland, but I guess its supposed to be robust so wasnt bland or too strong with the changes.

she can hardly swallow. Had to drink it through a straw and still it sounded like it was going to come out her nose when she swallowed. she'd kill me if she knew I wrote that.

pavotrouge

I made the creamy tomato soup today at 5 am for my bento. It rocks, though it was a bit salty (probably due to the "snacking" dried tomatoes I used).

I made the Pasta Della California tonight - it was really, really tasty and super fast and easy to make. It's definitely going to become a staple.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

Quote dreamqueen View Post
    I made the Pasta Della California tonight - it was really, really tasty and super fast and easy to make. It's definitely going to become a staple.
    Mmmm...I have made that before, too. I am a fan.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

I've been using this book quite a bit in the past couple of months.
    So far I've made:

• tomato-zucchini fritters I really liked these, but parents not impressed
    • diner home fries I love taters, but nothing unique about these
    • tofu florentine made this before. tis one of my faves. so satisfying! but I was a big tofu benedict/hollandaise sauce lover before
    • hot glazed tempeh pretty good, but should cut them smaller than recipe suggests
    • smokey grilled tempeh same as above
    • seitan cutlets too chewy, but better flavor than I've ever gotten before. i suck at homemade seian though, so...
    • chickpea cutlets sometimes these are awesome. sometimes too chewy
    • chickpea noodle soup I love this soup
    • hot and sour soup Do Not sub 2 tsp white pepper for chili oil! too much!!! bad tip. but otherwise delish
    • broccoli-potato soup turned out yum, but bastardized recipe so not fair to give opinion of it
    • pumpkin saag not a fan, but i could have screwed it up

pathologist

I tried the Tamarind lentils yesterday - it was absolutely lovely!

Quote mjnewbould View Post
    I tried the Tamarind lentils yesterday - it was absolutely lovely!
    Ooooh, I've been meaning to try those!

pavotrouge

I made the creamy tomato soup (don't remember the exact name) last week and it was divine. Even my die-hard omni bitch coworker who doesn't like me otherwise begged to get a small bowl of it

Quote vava View Post
    For the jelly doughnut cupcakes it says get the cheapest jam you can so i did just that only to find that as the rest of the cake is not flavoured apart from with nutmeg the bland jam makes the cakes virtually tasteless.

American doughnuts must be nutmeg flavour i suppose. Pity cos they look fabby.
    Oh that's a shame. I always make the gluten free cupcakes and alter them to suit the flavours of the different cupcakes. So mine had vanilla essence in them and I used good jam because I didn't want to buy the cheap n nasty stuff.

Quote Huddy View Post
    I'm getting this book for my birthday-I'M SO EXCITED-I cant wait to start cooking!
    I hope your b'day is v.soon!!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

RubyDuby

american donuts are not nutmeg flavored
    but those cupcakes sure were! that had to be a missprint in the book.

not my favorite at all. In fact I ended up throwing the last cupcake away bc it got old.

I went nuts this summer and ordered a bunch of cookbooks so that I'd have something to do this fall...
    In the last 3 weeks, from Veganomicon, I've made:
    Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles- the boys loved these!
    Chickpea Cutlets- lovely, no problems here.
    Lemony Roasted Potatoes- yum
    Soft Poppy-Seed Polenta- very comfort food-ish for me
    Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu- not my favorite...though I did save the uneaten ones and put them into Nori rolls the next day!
    Basic Broiled Tofu- great recipe, simple, and yummy
    Southwestern Corn Pudding- fabulous! even tastes good cold the next day!
    Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust- so perfect for the fall, I substituted Chanterelle mushrooms (spelling?) for the cremini they ask for, and it was soooo fantastic.
    Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry- another one I'll make often. Great dish.
    Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions- boring...but I didn't make the pita crisps...maybe they make the whole thing come together???
    Tomato and Roasted Eggplant Stew with Chickpeas- yummy!
    Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Streusel- wonderful and moist. easily transportable! (as opposed to pumpkin pies which need to be refridgerated and handled with care)

And as soon as I can get my hands on a decent bundt pan...the Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake will be mine.

I just love these women and the cookbooks they are publishing! I'm going to try to make everything. Seriously...it will take me a year...but I'm sure I can do it

Quote Dana View Post
    I went nuts this summer and ordered a bunch of cookbooks so that I'd have something to do this fall...
    In the last 3 weeks, from Veganomicon, I've made:
    Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles- the boys loved these!
    Chickpea Cutlets- lovely, no problems here.
    Lemony Roasted Potatoes- yum
    Soft Poppy-Seed Polenta- very comfort food-ish for me
    Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu- not my favorite...though I did save the uneaten ones and put them into Nori rolls the next day!
    Basic Broiled Tofu- great recipe, simple, and yummy
    Southwestern Corn Pudding- fabulous! even tastes good cold the next day!
    Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust- so perfect for the fall, I substituted Chanterelle mushrooms (spelling?) for the cremini they ask for, and it was soooo fantastic.
    Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry- another one I'll make often. Great dish.
    Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions- boring...but I didn't make the pita crisps...maybe they make the whole thing come together???
    Tomato and Roasted Eggplant Stew with Chickpeas- yummy!
    Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Streusel- wonderful and moist. easily transportable! (as opposed to pumpkin pies which need to be refridgerated and handled with care)

And as soon as I can get my hands on a decent bundt pan...the Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake will be mine.

I just love these women and the cookbooks they are publishing! I'm going to try to make everything. Seriously...it will take me a year...but I'm sure I can do it
    Wow, this is very inspiring! I'm going to try the cauliflower pot pie asap!

just so you know, the double choc walnut cookies are frigging awesome!!

I made the Lowfat Banana Bread (in a muffin tin, so lots of little banana breads!) and it was truly wonderful!

cherob

you lot have really inspired me to give the book another go! I guess I got lazy and then left it on the shelf, but will take it out today and make something...will report back with results!

I just tried a few new things over the weekend:

Chewy oatmeal raisin cookies: just okay. I have other recipes that do this classic recipe a lot better.

Curried carrot dip: just fine but not stellar.

Autumn latkes: really delicious, especially with the dill tahini sauce elsewhere in the book.

Quote dreamqueen View Post
    Autumn latkes: really delicious, especially with the dill tahini sauce elsewhere in the book.
    That dill tahini sauce is fantastic! I love it as the dressing for pasta salad. Hmm. Maybe I'll make some tonight.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Hmm maybe I will try the dill tahini sometime. I don't think I've made anything else from this, I REALLY should use my cookbooks more!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    american donuts are not nutmeg flavored
    but those cupcakes sure were! that had to be a missprint in the book.

not my favorite at all. In fact I ended up throwing the last cupcake away bc it got old.
    I must have ignored the nutmeg addition because I don't have any, so mine were sweet, vanilla-ry and jammy.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

RubyDuby

mmm, must try that next time.

past few months i've made:
    mac daddy- subbed half tofu for silken and added broccoli (double yum- best vegan mac n cheese EVER)
    baked bbq tofu (pretty good)
    prospect park potato salad (pretty good)
    penne vodka (yum)
    bean balls (tasty, but mine were too moist so cooked longer and then seemed a bit dry )
    chickpea romesco (tasty, but too messy to cook. sputtered all over the place and who wants to constantly stir for 35 minutes??)
    saffron garlic rice- made with turmeric instead of saffron (yum)
    potato kale enchiladas- made with spinach instead of kale (I love this dish. I've made it 3 times now and could probably drink the sauce all by itself! so good)
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Dec 5th, 2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: forgot enchiladas!

We're getting this book for the holiday break and am probably going to be learning to cook some of these recipes.

Just opened my Christmas presents from my boss and voila... 6 bottles of vegan wine and my own copy of VCON! Fantastic! I was going to order VCON from Amazon a month ago so I'm really glad I didn't now.

Best recipe for a novice and short-of-time cook to start with, anyone?

Quote Est View Post
    Just opened my Christmas presents from my boss and voila... 6 bottles of vegan wine and my own copy of VCON! Fantastic! I was going to order VCON from Amazon a month ago so I'm really glad I didn't now.

Wow Est, your boss rocks!!! My boss wouldn't give me the snot from her nose
    Silent but deadly :p

RubyDuby

^^what she said!
    my boss didn't give me anything but hours to work on christmas and a bunch of grief.

made mac daddy with broccoli again the other day, but used just firm tofu as the recipe calls for, instead of silken. still delicious, but tofu taste too strong. much prefer this recipe with silken. love the mac daddy,

lol she's not bad

After a very disappointing Christmas dinner (nothing to do with VCON!) I pulled out the recipe book and made the rosemary focaccia on Boxing Day. Delish! Even though I managed to forget to add the salt to the dough, and so just had the light sprinkling on the crust.

Had it warm out of the oven. Good thick layer of melting "butter" (Pure) and hot sage and onion stuffing sandwiched between 2 slices... heaven!

The actual "making" hardly takes any time, which is a huge bonus

pavotrouge

the rosemary focaccia is the first thing I made out of the book, and also my first homemade focaccia ever. I love it!

The chickpea noodle soup is tasty and comes together easily.

Ooooh, just had a look at that one and noticed the porcini-wild rice soup on the next page which also sounds fab Might be making some soups soon...!

Quote Est View Post

Wow nice boss! She must really appreciate you

Yup... and considering the 14-16 hour shifts, 6 days a week, that I've been doing... I deserve it!! (Hence my lengthy absence from VF - I'm on Christmas hols at the moment so have some spare time for once!)

Ok, I'm also going to try the Chickpea Cutlets, the Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce and the Potato-Mushroom Blintzes. Yum

Quote Est View Post
    Yup... and considering the 14-16 hour shifts, 6 days a week, that I've been doing... I deserve it!! (Hence my lengthy absence from VF - I'm on Christmas hols at the moment so have some spare time for once!)

Ok, I'm also going to try the Chickpea Cutlets, the Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce and the Potato-Mushroom Blintzes. Yum

Where do you work Est?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

I'll PM you

Made the chickpea cutlets for dinner yesterday with omni OH, and they got a thumbs up from both of us. Very tasty and "substantial" plus quick to cook.

daveshorty

I love this book. However... the other day I tried to make the spinach and chickpea curry and it turned out completely tasteless and terrible! Can't put my finger on where I went wrong!

Maybe the recipe itself was tasteless and terrible?

i cannot find a chickpea spinach curry recipe in my nomicon.

daveshorty

oh balls...i messed up, it's actually from another book. either How It All Vegan or that other isa one... ummmm...... you know the one i mean.

Quote daveshorty View Post
    oh balls...i messed up, it's actually from another book. either How It All Vegan or that other isa one... ummmm...... you know the one i mean.
    ah that'd be why then...

Vegan With A Vengeance?

daveshorty

aye, that's the one.
    tasted shite.
    i really don't know where i went wrong!

I recently made the cheezy sauce to drizzle over tacos and quite enjoyed it.

hedge

Quote daveshorty View Post
    I love this book. However... the other day I tried to make the spinach and chickpea curry and it turned out completely tasteless and terrible! Can't put my finger on where I went wrong!
    I LOVE that recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. It is my favourite Curry recipe (and I've made a LOT of Curries).
    I wish I could make this for you (would if I could) because not to taste this as it should be made is a crying shame!!

pavotrouge

I loved the curry recipe, too.
    Have you got the UK or US version? Because there are a few conversion mistakes in the UK one.

i've never tried curry...so then i guess i should try this recipe...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I made the simple seitan today and it was exactly the same as Fry's Chunky Wok & Stew Strips, but cheaper! However it was more trouble than just walking to the car, driving to the shop, putting a packet in the basket, walking to the checkout, paying (with my Vegan Society discount), walking to the car, putting it in the cool bag, driving home, taking it out of the coolbag, walking to the house, putting the packet in the freezer, taking it out later and putting it in the pot.... OK, it was much LESS trouble than driving to the shop etc......!