Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganomicon

Default Re: Veganomicon

Quote Ruby Rose View Post

Also, I think being English and from an area of the UK without a vibrant Jewish cultural presence, I don't always know what the things are supposed to look like (like, what the heck are knishes?) so the lack of photos is a bit of a bind.
    copy the name into google and then click on images - works every time!

That's a good idea! I suppose I just tend to skip over the recipes where I don't have any sense what kind of thing they are - so it doesn't get as far as getting to Google!

pavotrouge

I'm also scared by the Jewish word "kugel" for a casserole, "kugel" meaning "ball" in German.

I'm the one who said that there are some hard to find ingredients in some recipes and I still stand by that. I live in a dinky little town and would have to drive about an hour--one way--to get to a store that would have some of the ingredients (like agar flakes).

Anyway, I just made the braised brussels sprouts and seitan and it was yummy! [I used store bought seitan though that already had some flavoring.] I made udon noodles (broken in half) and stirred it into the dish and it was great! I ended up eating seconds--something I seldom do--and still have a bunch left over for the next few days. I'd give this one dish 4.5 stars out of 5.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

the lemon bars are to die for.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I have just scarfed down the Eggplant - Potato Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream -not all of it tho! Would feed 8 easily if you were partaking of some dessert afterwards.

v nice - v tomatoey v creamy I would give it 8 and a half out of ten. I would have liked some crispness on the top, so if I do it again I would put some breadcrumbs on the cream topping along with some random pine nuts for crunch.

This was a recipe that caught my eye when I first looked at the book but to be honest the book scared me when I first bought it about a month ago and it has taken me until now to try it. It was very labour intensive and worth the outcome. This would be perfect on a summers evening with a mixed crisp salad french bread and a cool bottle of vino. Mix liberally with some good friends et voila!

Supposed to taste even better the next day - slavering at the thought.

The topping is really interesting and I think it would work well on a lot of dishes like lasagna, pizza etc. Thank goodness it wasn't pine in flavour as I thought it may be! It was fun squeezing the courgettes as well.

pavotrouge

The moussaka sounds divine but I'm too lazy for that at the moment...

I made the peanut-eggplant stew for tomorrow's bento, though I left out the green beans.

It's very rich and creamy and... different. It's sort of a fusion of Indian and African food.

how have people in the UK managed to find this book? I asked blackwell's and they said it's not available til APRIL!!! argh!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    how have people in the UK managed to find this book? I asked blackwell's and they said it's not available til APRIL!!! argh!
    They have it on Amazon, so I guess a lot of people have ordered it there. I'm awaiting my copy as we speek.

it says on here that it's being published by deCapo in the uk on 1st April 2008...: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veganomicon-...7935052&sr=8-1

Quote bryzee86 View Post

The Book Depository, clicky here - free delivery, and usually despatched within 2 - 3 days - so if you're really quick and the post is on your side you might just get it in time for christmas (although I think mine took about 4 or 5 days so I reckon it'll probably be just after christmas when you get it)
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

yup also from the book depository awesome place! vegcurry recommended it.....

animaladvocate

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I'm also scared by the Jewish word "kugel" for a casserole, "kugel" meaning "ball" in German.
    I am Jewish.
    Kugel usually means pudding.

ooh fantastic. thanks you two! I'll order it when I get back after christmas though!

It is in stock on amazon.com, but not on amazon.co.uk. It's cheaper on amazon.com as well.

but that'll ship from USA surely?

Order from the USA, herbivore do great postage rates and whenever I have ordered from the service has been great and delivery really fast. Works out cheaper than buying over here half the time.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    but that'll ship from USA surely?
    Yes, but it will still get to you before it comes into the shops in April. It says international orders take from 3 to 6 weeks. And if your're worried about the delivery cost, the lower price of the book itself will null the difference out.

Book + shipping amazon.co.uk: £17.99

Book + shipping amazon.com: $30.64 = £15.21

but if i get it from the book depository it's cheaper still.

Okay, then you should go for the Book Depository.

Hey,

A friend just gave me a copy today! It looks awesome, and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. I'm dreaming of the lemony roasted potatoes already.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

pavotrouge

make them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and as a snack. they're heavenly!

Quote animaladvocate View Post
    I am Jewish.
    Kugel usually means pudding.
    hum... and there it is, the Jewish/German misunderstanding

I've seen "Kugel" recipes that seem like casseroles to me.

German "pudding" is what people in other parts of the world would refer to as "custard"

I just got this today, and I am so excited!
    There are so many recipes that I think will be absolutely delicious; I am overwhelmed!

What is everybody's favorite of what they have made?
    I am definitely trying the lemon bars, the roasted lemony potatoes, and the chickpea cutlets soon. The samosa baked potatoes sound great as well.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I think I'm going to put this one on my wishlist too

pavotrouge

make the white bean aioli, but only if you don't have to work or go near to people the following day

I've got this cookbook problem is i dont like cooking lol, i'll have to force myself to try some recipies

RubyDuby

i was hoping for it for christmas, but alas I shall have to buy it and a coffee maker myself.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Awwww - poor Ruby.

I got it for Christmas.. Am recieving it with the mail in a couple of days.. am so looking forward to it

Quote vavavegan View Post
    I have just scarfed down the Eggplant - Potato Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream -not all of it tho! Would feed 8 easily if you were partaking of some dessert afterwards.

v nice - v tomatoey v creamy I would give it 8 and a half out of ten. I would have liked some crispness on the top, so if I do it again I would put some breadcrumbs on the cream topping along with some random pine nuts for crunch.

This was a recipe that caught my eye when I first looked at the book but to be honest the book scared me when I first bought it about a month ago and it has taken me until now to try it. It was very labour intensive and worth the outcome. This would be perfect on a summers evening with a mixed crisp salad french bread and a cool bottle of vino. Mix liberally with some good friends et voila!

Supposed to taste even better the next day - slavering at the thought.

The topping is really interesting and I think it would work well on a lot of dishes like lasagna, pizza etc. Thank goodness it wasn't pine in flavour as I thought it may be! It was fun squeezing the courgettes as well.
    froze loads = defrosted = too tasty and - way way too salty!

I just got this last night and I agree that it looks good. I want to try their 'sammiches', the 'snoobyjoes' and the 'chickpea cutlets' to start.

I just got this book earlier this month! I'm so excited to start using it!! Has anyone made something particularly good from this book and recommend it?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I was banking on getting this for Festivus - I had it listed at the highest priority on my Amazon wishlist and still no one bought it for me. Since then, I've been looking for it in bookstores here and it's sold out everywhere! Waaah!
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

I made the pumpkin crumble cake over Christmas and my wife's deerhunting/fishing grandpa laid claim to an entire plate of them for himself and wouldn't let anyone else have them.

this book is pretty much a NEED for me to have at this point, I'm always walking around with it...

I cooked the Lemony Roast Potatoes last night (to go with a bean and sweet potato chilli) and it went down really well with the dinner guests.

I am making the BBQ seitan and crispy coleslaw sandwiches tonight. I've already prepped everything and the Backyard BBQ sauce tastes great. But, I still have about 4 hours until dinner and can test this recipe out.

I made the lemony roasted potatoes yesterday. They were great. We ate a ton of them
    tabbouleh-bouleh

The BBQ seitan and crispy coleslaw sandwiches was very good. My significant other didn't think the coleslaw sounded like it would be good on a sandwich, but even he loved them. A big hit. Tonight, I'm making the Snobby Joes for the first time.

Red Lentil and Cauliflower Curry = Amazing

I'm afraid I won't be able to use mine for the next week or so ... I'm moving and won't have my appliances or cookware until the 12th. Eat some good veganomicon food for me!

argh it's out of stock at the book depository now!! spose i'll wait til i go usa and see if i can get it there.

pavotrouge

Amazon?
    The version that's not out yet probably is the "British" one. They did one of VWAV as well, with metric measurements I think (because it's so hard to figure out what how much a cup is ).

that is confusing, i have a jug that has cups on it (just noticed that today ) and its about 250ml

It seems strange measuring solids like that lol.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I'm afraid I won't be able to use mine for the next week or so ... I'm moving and won't have my appliances or cookware until the 12th. Eat some good veganomicon food for me!
    Wishing you good luck on your move. I hate moving!

OMG - this thread is making me hungry!

The chocolate ice cream is good, SO good! so soft and chocolatey. try it!
    apart from that, I haven't made much from this book, I think... I did make the chickpea cutlets a couple of times (yum!) and the brussel sprouts.
    there's still plenty left to try

Quote sponge View Post
    Wishing you good luck on your move. I hate moving!
    Thanks sponge! I'm getting used to it. I've moved so many times I sort of have to learn to like the change ...and pack efficiently!

Quote Magenta View Post
    The chocolate ice cream is good, SO good! so soft and chocolatey. try it!
    Quote Magenta View Post
    apart from that, I haven't made much from this book, I think... I did make the chickpea cutlets a couple of times (yum!) and the brussel sprouts.
    there's still plenty left to try
    I'm so hungry now!! I have to stop reading this thread!

I'm so impressed that people love this book!

I took a look at it with my wife, and we quickly realized that we'd NEVER cook some of the stuff suggested. Who's got baby bok choy lying around? We're never that prepared.

I wish that the book would work for us... but we have a hard time making time to cook something other than pasta and brocolli every other night.
    context is everything

my loan comes through on monday or so, so i think i'll order this from amazon.fr. works out at about £18 with postage (damn that strong euro!) but it's work it cos i can't live without this book!!!