Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganomicon

pavotrouge

Default Re: Veganomicon

I made the stuffed pepper as well and found that just the opposite- quite spicy, though I'm used to really spicy food.

So Rant, you've just given yourself a good excuse to try the recipe again

I made the chickpea cutlets again last night - for some reason, they didn't excite me much this time around.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

Quote Roxy View Post
    So Rant, you've just given yourself a good excuse to try the recipe again

That's more or less what I was thinking. However, I'll make them on the weekend this time, so I have more time.

Off to buy some paprika!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I made the mandarin marinated tofu - it was absolutely vile and I took great pleasure in throwing it away! It was really citrussy pungent and even tho I took it out of the oven earlier than indicated it had burned all round the edges. I have written 'vile' next to the recipe in the book in case I am ever tempted again.

Oh no Vava..How disappointing for you. What did you eat instead?

Last Valentine's night I made a thing from VWaV with pancakes with tamarind sauce etc..which was the only thing I didn't like from that book..I think I was a bit heavy handed with the tamarind juice.

Do you think that there is anything you could do t redeem the mandarin recipe.......or don't you want to think about it again?

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Oh no Vava..How disappointing for you. What did you eat instead?

Last Valentine's night I made a thing from VWaV with pancakes with tamarind sauce etc..which was the only thing I didn't like from that book..I think I was a bit heavy handed with the tamarind juice.

Do you think that there is anything you could do t redeem the mandarin recipe.......or don't you want to think about it again?
    been put right off that recipe now but all is not lost with the book - i had the chickpea and noodle soup for lunch and it was smashing even my omni husband dived in for seconds!

I had made quinoa with tomatoe puree and onions to have with it so I just had that and an enormous pear!

pavotrouge

oh noes... can't believe something from the book didn't turn out.
    I'll have a talk with that mandarin tofu, vava.

I just got a copy of the book from the library.
    hopefully i'll get the chance to try alot of the ricepes before i have to return it.

any suggestions in particular?
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Any chance of the chickpea cutlet recipe? I can't afford the book at the mo but would love to try it, or is it being too cheeky? Looked for it on their website, but not there!!

pavotrouge

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    thank you muchly

Quote vavavegan View Post
    I made the mandarin marinated tofu - it was absolutely vile and I took great pleasure in throwing it away! It was really citrussy pungent and even tho I took it out of the oven earlier than indicated it had burned all round the edges. I have written 'vile' next to the recipe in the book in case I am ever tempted again.
    What a disappointment! Mandarin marinated tofu sounds lovely though.

This has to be the best vegan cookbook that I have purchased, and I own quite a few! Really educational with great ideas for meals that can be made ahead of time and just microwaved throughout the week to keep you going. This is soooo helpful since I am a full time student and don't always have time to prepare.
    mmmmmmm...cupcakes

I made the Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh tonight - my husband gobbled it up like I've never seen him gobble tempeh before. I really liked it too. There's one piece left so tomorrow I'm going to mash it up and put it in a sammich with some Veganaise and spinach.

Default Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

This cook book is really fantastic. The premise is that vegan cooking and living can be easy and inexpensive. The book is huge, with tons of relatively easy recipes and tons of pointers to make vegan cooking a whole lot easier for yourself.

I even found an excerpt online from the book, which outlines the basic essentials everyone should have in their kitchen!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 25th, 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread! :-)

pavotrouge

ok, I guess this is my final statement about Veganomicon... when it first arrived (see at the beginning of the thread), I didn't really know what to think about it and neither where to start.

Then I had a phase when I thought it's a good, solid book.

Now I've made about a third of the recipes and only the French lentil soup, chickpea noodle soup and quinoa chickpea pilaf have made it into my everyday cooking repertoire.
    None of the recipes I tried were mindblowing, and most aren't new to me.
    Some I even found close to inedible, even after extreme tweaking- this never happened to me before, with no cookbook.

The "ethic" recipes are totally westernized and boring to my palate.
    Plus, there's far too much meat substitute used- I like my tempeh, tofu and seitan, but why do they try to incorporate seitan into everything?

I'm not trying to talk the book down- it's an awesome compilation, but too American, or western-style for me (actually, it's mostly the American/tex mex stuff I can't stand).

This said, VWAV will stay my favourite!

Now you can throw sticks at me

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    ok, I guess this is my final statement about Veganomicon... when it first arrived (see at the beginning of the thread), I didn't really know what to think about it and neither where to start.

Then I had a phase when I thought it's a good, solid book.

Now I've made about a third of the recipes and only the French lentil soup, chickpea noodle soup and quinoa chickpea pilaf have made it into my everyday cooking repertoire.
    None of the recipes I tried were mindblowing, and most aren't new to me.
    Some I even found close to inedible, even after extreme tweaking- this never happened to me before, with no cookbook.

The "ethic" recipes are totally westernized and boring to my palate.
    Plus, there's far too much meat substitute used- I like my tempeh, tofu and seitan, but why do they try to incorporate seitan into everything?

I'm not trying to talk the book down- it's an awesome compilation, but too American, or western-style for me (actually, it's mostly the American/tex mex stuff I can't stand).

This said, VWAV will stay my favourite!

Now you can throw sticks at me
    You know, I'm feeling rather underwhelmed by Veganomicon myself after initially being really excited by it. I was really disappointed when I found that a number of the tofu recipes in it are lifted directly from Vegan with a Vengeance - why bother? It's not like the book really needed to be any longer. I've been looking through it each night and then making things from either Vegan with a Vengeance or ExtraVeganZa or Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan instead.

Weird, I absolutely love this book and almost all the food in it... but I'm (a) an American with appalling taste and (b) a new cook who doesn't know nothin about nothin.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

I found the hummus recipe to be too garlicky (even though I really love garlic). Next time I make, I'm cutting back on the garlic and adding more tahini.

I'm going to make something new from this book on Sunday night. Gimme suggestions!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

RubyDuby

portabello mushroom salad and tofu florentine... do do do
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I've heard the Moussaka is RIDICULOUSLY delicious but I haven't tried it yet.

Quote rantipole View Post
    I found the hummus recipe to be too garlicky (even though I really love garlic). Next time I make, I'm cutting back on the garlic and adding more tahini.

I'm going to make something new from this book on Sunday night. Gimme suggestions!

Cheers,
    rant

pavotrouge

I don't mean to say that American have a bad taste Alex
    Just that I'm not used to the American "way" of cooking. Neither do I like traditional west European cuisine.

no you're right pavotrouge...we do
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

eh, taste is too subjective to make such a sweeping statement.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    eh, taste is too subjective to make such a sweeping statement.
    very very true. I just feel blessed to live in an area that has a vegan restaurant and TONS of mexican restaurants.

Quote missbettie View Post
    no you're right pavotrouge...we do
    Yup.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    portabello mushroom salad
    With raw or cooked mushies?

cooked! and still warm! its very yummy.

The lasagne is utterly delicous. I made some of the baked goods, too, and those all turned out well. (except for the banana bread, but I didn't completely follow the directions and messed up, I guess)
    I thought the cornmeal crusted brussels sprouts (with the spicy yogurt sauce) were incredibly tasty as well!

So yeah - so far I don't think there was anything that I really didn't like. Still have a lot of things to try, though!

RubyDuby

u tried it missbettie? that dressing is sooo good.

Quote Magenta View Post
    The lasagne is utterly delicous. I made some of the baked goods, too, and those all turned out well. (except for the banana bread, but I didn't completely follow the directions and messed up, I guess)
    I thought the cornmeal crusted brussels sprouts (with the spicy yogurt sauce) were incredibly tasty as well!

So yeah - so far I don't think there was anything that I really didn't like. Still have a lot of things to try, though!

I never attempted a vegan lasagne in the 4 years that I've been vegan. And cornmeal crusted brussel sprouts.....gah.....just the thought gives me shivers

Quote Roxy View Post
    I never attempted a vegan lasagne in the 4 years that I've been vegan. And cornmeal crusted brussel sprouts.....gah.....just the thought gives me shivers
    Oooh then there are some delicious things out there for you to try!
    I really did love the brussels, and I'm normally not a huge fan of them either. well, maybe you wouldn't like them - but I've heard of a lot of people who didn't like brussels sprouts, tried one of the recipes from V'con and completely changed their minds! I didn't think they tasted much like regular boiled brussels, it was more of an indian-ish taste (with the garam masala) and the (soy-)yogurt sauce with it makes it such a yummy dish. So it's worth trying, really! Unless you're not into any of that, well... then you could at least try a lasagne
    I loved the marinara/spinach lasagne from Veganomicon, I would just add a bit more marinara sauce next time.

I recommend the Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Strudel (page 255).

Sometimes I make cakes and everybody says that they are a bit odd and I end up having to finish them up myself but unfortunately I hardly got a look in with this one. I'll just have to make it again!! I made it with fresh pumkin.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    u tried it missbettie? that dressing is sooo good.
    I know! I've made it probably 6 times since having the book which i havn't had very long mind you. I make the dressing often and use it on everything!! My boyfriend loves it!

Also we have a mushroom farm in our town so I can go any buy 1 pound of portabellas for 4 bucks. its kinda creepy to go there but well worth the savings.... yum!!

Quote missbettie View Post
    I know! I've made it probably 6 times since having the book which i havn't had very long mind you. I make the dressing often and use it on everything!! My boyfriend loves it!

Also we have a mushroom farm in our town so I can go any buy 1 pound of portabellas for 4 bucks. its kinda creepy to go there but well worth the savings.... yum!!
    Is there a man with no limbs picking up the mushrooms with his teeth and putting them into a bag made of human skin?

pretty much...and there is a shrine of virgin mary and its down a long scary dirt road, its straight out of a horror flick i'll tell ya!!

everyone must make the "mushroom and spinach stratta"! Oh...MY...GAWD!! oh so yummy!!

I was really impressed with the vegan cupcakes book by the same authors so I decided to buy a copy of this too. Was pleasantly surprised to find it on Abebooks for only £9.04 after checking Amazon to find they only have a used copy for £15.99
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

I recently tried the Sweet Basil Pesto Tapenade (or something to that effect). I thought it was okay but I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I was really impressed with the vegan cupcakes book by the same authors so I decided to buy a copy of this too. Was pleasantly surprised to find it on Abebooks for only £9.04 after checking Amazon to find they only have a used copy for £15.99
    Is this the UK version you've got? I'm still waiting for mine from amazon and I'm getting desperate!!!! It was supposed to be out a few days ago! And it still hasn't arrived! I want it now!

Penny (nails bitten down to quicks)

cancel your order, penny!! get it from here: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBS...?id=156924264X

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    cancel your order, penny!! get it from here: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBS...?id=156924264X
    Done! Thanks, Bryzee! Not long to wait now, I hope!

Penny (fingers, with chewed nails, now crossed...)

yaaaaaay! I got the american one when I was in NY, for more than this (grr), so i'd be interested to see how this is different. Probably a less ameri-centric ingredients list, and more weighed measurements.

RubyDuby

had the chili chocolate mole sauce a few nights ago. It was good. I was disappointed cuz we get mole from a restaurant that I absolutely crave non-stop and this recipe couldn't hold a candle. Also was a pain to make.

pavotrouge

I'm a bit scared of trying that one because I've never had mole (no Mexican food/restaurants over here)...

wtf is mole?

RubyDuby

Food Lover's Companion: mole

[MOH-lay] From the Nahuatl molli, meaning "concoction," mole is a rich, dark, reddish-brown sauce usually served with poultry. There are many variations of this spicy Mexicanspecialty, usually depending on what's in the cook's kitchen. Generally, mole is a smooth, cooked blend of onion, garlic, several varieties of chiles, ground seeds (such as sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds-known as pepitas) and a small amount of mexican chocolate, its best-known ingredient. (Some Americanized mole recipes use bitter chocolate.) The chocolate contributes richness to the sauce without adding overt sweetness.

RubyDuby

mmmm mole

ever in LA go here!

I've never enjoyed mole, sadly - and the recipe in Isa's book didn't manage to convince me.