Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegan looking for accommodation in north London

Piticli

Default Vegan looking for accommodation in north London

Hello,
    I am looking for accommodation in north London because i want to move to UK.I could go there at the end of this month(november) or december.
    I will thank if anybody can say me any place where i can search.I put the day before yesterday a advice on Vegan Village,but I must to writte them to change Birmingham and put north London.I was with the idea to go Birmingham or London and finally I have decided to go to London.Because I suposse there are more music.I play drums since i was 13 years old,and i have been in Virginia(usa) and Madrid,but i didīt find my place there.I am liveing in Zaragoza 1 year and any months but here i havenīt find people with the same interest like me I like London and UK for the music scene and because since i am vegan(9 years ago) i always have been readed or listened that there is a lot of vegans and things about it.Even I wear 2 years ago a vegan trainers i bought on "Vegan shoes" web page.I bought two pairs and they sended to me here in spain.
    This is part of the advice i put on Vegan Villageīs page:

"30 year old vegan spanish male. I'm vegan 9 years ago.Very clean and tidy. Non-smoking, non-drinker. I'm lookin for a flat or house share in north London. I want to share with other/s vegan/s. The most i like is music. I play drums 17 years, and when i will get accommodation and job I will looking for others musicians to play. I hope find anything soon because i'm dying to go there Please email me if you can help me pabloperez.arroyo@gmail.com. Thanks!!"

And iīm dying to go to these meets you do there between vegans and all these gigs.
    I am very happy to have finded this forum.I only meet for the moment to Marrers and Stu and they are very pleasant with me,and it make me very happy.I hope to meet more people here,all seem good people.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Vegan looking for accommodation in north London

Well unfortunately I can't be any help with accomodation, but London is a great place to be a drummer. You'll love it. The meetups we have are also a lot of fun, and you will be more than welcome to come along and meet everyone.

Piticli

Thank you very much for your comment aubergine.

Quote Piticli View Post
    .I only meet for the moment to Marrers and Stu and they are very pleasant with me,and it make me very happy.
    Wait till you meet me. I'm even nicer!

Good luck with finding somewhere to stay.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Piticli

Thank you RedWellies for your simpathy ;-) When i will bee there i hope to meet you too.Is the first time i meet so much vegan people.This country sooo primitive.
    Yesterday i was seeing on veg.com page and there are a lot of accommodations in London area.Tomorrow i will see it more quiet because today iīm on the village painting at my motherīs house.

I was thinking perhaps people who know about flat and house shares, esp in North London, could advise Piticli on what he might expect to pay in rent and for what sort of accomodation he could expect for what levels of rent.

Also are there some areas of North London which are best to look at for the amount of rented rooms available and any areas known for cheaper rents?
    (Plus any areas to avoid looked at because of expensive rents? And 'dangerous' areas you wouldn't want to live in?)

It must be really hard to find a room in a country you have never visited, let alone not having the chance to see the area or know if you are being charged a fair rent - so I imagine any help and advise we can give will be very useful.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

I agree Marrers.

I have PM'd Piticli about London in general but I don't know about prices of rents in North London.

(I hope I didn't put him off coming here as I told him that London can be very expensive.)

Piticli

Thank you very much Marrers.
    The past friday i recived a mail from one person saying me he has a 100% vegan flat to share.Itīs in London, Blackheath, Greenwich area.He say:The house is really nice, with living room and nice garden, the room is quite small but realy nice and just redecorated. I replied him to say iīm interested and ask for any pics and i can go to view the house when he want.From my city to London is about 2 hours in plane.Later he replied asking me if i have got a job there and how i think to pay the rent.I wrote to him that the price is ok and i havenīt problems to pay,and i come back to ask for pics of the room and the house.Because i can go to view the room and the house,but i would like to see any pic for make any idea how small is it.He hasnīt send me pics yet,this moorning i have wrote to him this:
    Hello again!

I am seeing others flats to share, and need any reply of you.The others arenīt vegan and I preffeer to live with vegan.But these people write to me to ask an answer and if i was secure to share with you i could say them i have found a flat now.I donīt like to be a trouble for the others.Hope you can understand to me.
    The others flats is in Birmingham,but i preffeer London,and your flat is the only one i have found.
    If you havenīt got pics,you can say me how meters is the room.So i can make a idea.And when you can or want i go to view the house.From my city to London is only 2 hours.
    Write me soon please.

Greetings.

He donīt reply to me and i think that he hasnīt interest,so i am thinking to go to a no-vegan house in Birmingham.
    Thanks for all.I donīt want to bother more.I will continue searching and when i get anything i will say you.

Donīt worry Aphrodite ;-)

Greenwich is in South London, on the train but not the tube. Depending on where it is you may not be very close to a train station. I used to live in Blackheath - it is a nice area, quite posh in many parts, lots of green space and large victorian houses, but there are some famously rough areas very nearby like the Kidbrooke Estate. It was a bit too posh for me!

I guess most people will be worried you will not be able to pay the rent if you don't have a job yet. That is probably the first thing you need to reassure them of.

Is it worth trying to find some other Spanish people in London to see if there are any short term rooms they know of? Rather than just moving in to some random place? At least there would be something in common. Once you are settled and have found work you can look for a vegan place and an area you like or are working in.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Piticli

Ok,i understand.
    Yesterday i was trying to register on monsterīs web page to put my CV.I donīt know if this method can work to find job.But when i was on the first page to register me,it ask the address,if i put my address from here,directly it send me to the monster web page from spain.I should write an address from UK to can search job there.And even though i put my address from spain i donīt think any company could be interested in one person that is out of the country,itīs logical.
    My idea was one time i am there take my CV to companys directly,like i can do here,but i see it wonīt be possible,so today i will try to search job and later looking for accommodation.I guess itīs the normal.
    I am learning a lot with this first experience,itīs good.
    Thank Marrers for your help.

hi piticli. Maybe you could have a look on http://www.vegcom.org/vclist.php?rgn=LDN&cat=OFF

you might find a veggie household there!

Piticli

Ok,thanks bryzee.
    But is sure that when i say to them that for the moment i havenīt got a job,they wonīt reply me.So i have decide to search a job and later the accommodation.At first any hotel or any thing so.And when i will be there,i will looking for a best job and any band.
    Do you know anything on internet to search a job in London? In monsterīs page only appears jobs for manager and things so. Any job to work in gardens or washing plates or in a cemetery......

Piticli

I have found it:
    http://www.hootanannyhostel.co.uk/
    I have wrote just now to them. I guess i will be there one week to looking for a job in London,because from here i donīt know if itīs possible.
    Otherwise i can take any cans of paint and try to do it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O43YSrmqSKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5eqKZNNZ8w

Stu

Does it have to be North London specifically? There is a lot of cheap accommodation available in North London, but most of it will be infested with cockroaches and/or mice. I'm in Hackney (North London), which is a relatively cheap place to live. It's not great for transport links though.

London is split into 34 boroughs, each run by its own council. North London boroughs that you might want to try, include:
    Islington
    Camden
    Haringey
    Hackney.

You could try gumtree.com as well as the stuff I mentioned in my PMs. You could use ot for both accommodation and jobs. Also, maybe try loot.com. I'd offer to put you up here, but I don't think my flatmates would be too happy. But if you need somewhere for just a couple of nights or so, maybe I can help.

I'll try and think of any other ways I can help...

Piticli

Thanks Stu,but i donīt like to compromise anybody.
    I put North London because the Stansteed airport is more near.Only for it.
    Donīt worry.i preffer to do it by miself

so do you have enough money to pay a deposit (usually 4-6 weeks rent)? Or even enough for 3 months advance rent. this will usually put an prospective landlords worries about jobs at bay. I haven't a job, but I paid a deposit and 3 months up front, so they weren't bothered.

Like bryzee says as long as you can prove to them that you can cover the rent until you get a job it should not be a problem. I didn't mean they would not consider you at all if you don't have a job, I just meant most landlords would be concerned about getting their money so you must reassure them about this first.

Piticli

Yes! I have got enough money to pay them more than 10 months,but maybe i have contact with people no very formal.Or maybe ítīs because i am spanish and they think i am a rowdy and these things any people think about spanish people.I donīt know.I start to think that i say anything on my mails that they donīt like or something like that. Is a pity that people judge to other without they donīt meet the person.
    Thanks for your comments,it help me very much.

Don't know if it's any help/use but I spotted this ad on the vegan village notice board when I was browsing this morning

Packing Person Needed - Richmond, London
    We are looking for a fun person to join our team to help with packing up our orders. 20+ hours a week, mornings. Efficient and attention to detail and computer skills. Start immediate. info@bboheme.com

Piticli

Thanks!!
    I will write them now!!
    I have wrote to this guy:

Vegan only please! Cosy room in veggy flat sharing with 3 guys, including 2 vegans. (hoping for 100% vegan house asap). Flat is in a victorian semi-detached house, 2 mins from telegraph hill park, large living room + fireplace, nice kitchen, large garden. students + a thinktank intern, interested in veganism,politics, environmentalism, spirituality, philosophy...+other great stuff. wireless + bills extra. we dont pay council tax at the moment. Phil

Itīs in New Cross Gate.I hope have best luck.
    Altought it cost me more time,i wonīt let to try.
    Thanks scarlett ;-)

Stu

Quote scarlett View Post
    Don't know if it's any help/use but I spotted this ad on the vegan village notice board when I was browsing this morning

Packing Person Needed - Richmond, London
    We are looking for a fun person to join our team to help with packing up our orders. 20+ hours a week, mornings. Efficient and attention to detail and computer skills. Start immediate. info@bboheme.com
    I should point out that Richmond is at the far south-west of London - a LONG way to travel from North London.

Piticli

I know,Stu.
    I putted North London only because this area is more close to the Stansteed airport.I am waiting answer of the guy that is looking for a vegan tenant in New Cross Gate.Anyway i donīt make expectations.I guess that in one moment i will got luck.

I think transport is quite good from New Cross Gate.

apart from the fact the east london line closes in a month

the trains are good though.

Piticli

Why they closes it?
    and other question,i am seeing share flats ads,what is DSS? On any of them put it.and i donīt know what is it.

By DSS they are referring to benefits paid by the government, if you are unemployed or on disability benefits etc.

Piticli

Ok,thanks.

Quote Piticli View Post
    Why they closes it?
    and other question,i am seeing share flats ads,what is DSS? On any of them put it.and i donīt know what is it.
    Hi, I think "No DSS" means that they don't want people who are out of work and claiming state benefits - Department of Social Security (DSS) is the old name for what's now (I think!) called the Department of Work and Pensions. Not sure whether "No DSS" people would have a problem with you as you'll probably get a job quickly enough, I imagine.

I haven't any recent experience of either job-hunting or flat-hunting but I wonder if it might be easier to:

1) find temporary accommodation here, as you say, then
    2) come over and find a job in person, then
    3) find permanent accommodation?

I just suspect it might be easier to get the sort of job you're looking for once you're actually over here, and having a job will probably make it easier to find accommodation too. What do other Brits think?

As you're from the EU there shouldn't be any problem coming over here without a job fixed up, as far as I know.

The East London is closing for 3 years for refurbishment, extension and transferrance to a railway rather than underground.

Piticli

I think it must be the only way.Because if you havenīt got accommodation you wonīt get job and if you havenīt got job you get accommodation.Itīs funny.
    The solution i think is temporal accommodation and on this time find a job,altought itīs a shit,and then is more easy search one house.But neither the hostels reply me.I start to think that maybe i must lie,i donīt like do it,or donīt tell anythings.
    I will continue until december,but if i donīt find anything....maybe UK is not on my destiny life.

Maybe you could stay somewhere like a youth hostel for a few days

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommoda...don/index.aspx ?

You seem to be able to book into those on-line, not that I've ever done it.

Piticli

Thanks,yesterday i was seeing on others hostels pages,but i didnīt know it.I am seeing now.
    Anyway,had got closers cash machine in London? These is the most cheap accommodation. But sure all is taken in the night.

Those ones where the cash dispenser is inside a little room? Not sure we do have those here, but anyway the facilities might be a little limited!

Piticli

I know! but only for sleep...
    When i went to the NIN concert in Madrid with a friend,we went to sleep in the botanic garden in Atocha station.We was stay there about 2 hours untill we bored and went out,it was on February when the police and security services was in alert because the judges to alquaeda members.So when we was going out a security man take and made us a interrogation,ask our documantation and we were thrown out of the station!!! Our train go to Zaragoza at 6 so we was walking in the streets looking for a cash machine to sleep.In Madrid hadnīt too,but here in Zaragoza had a lot and in the night is occuped for homeless.Then we get any cardboards and newspapers and made our beds that night.A woman junkie was telling us a strange philosophy.Every time i go out to any place,any thing happend to me But later is funny to remmember and tell other people.
    I just now have been seen the Salvation Army webpage.They have got houses in the same center of London.I donīt know if i could be admit.I am reading.For a week maybe can be a help. I guess that they rely on me,because neither the hostel i wrote yesterday donīt reply me.Really i wanna know what they think about me

Quote Piticli View Post
    I will continue until december,but if i donīt find anything....maybe UK is not on my destiny life.
    Try not to let it get you down-Im sure something will crop up soon
    If not, you could always move to Australia!

no! london is far better!

hehe only joking - I'd love to go aussie.

The more the merrier! We're just coming into summer......the beach is nearby.......nice and sunny.....

and it's freeeezing here!

Piticli

I will go tomorrow to London.I have got a meet with a boy that is looking for a vegan tenant.I hope to have got good luck.I will arrive tomorrow but the meet is on tuesday and on wednesday i come back to spain. Iīm waiting reply for the people of one hostel,i guess they have got a bed for two nights.I hope to find a vegan resturant too Here start my adventure in London
    Thanks for your help.

BlackCats

Good luck Piticli.

Piticli

Thanks Aphrodite.Just now i am thinking about to stay these days on a hostel or in a hotel called easyhotel,but this one the night is 97p and the other is 14p.I suppose that if is not a holyday or any date so,they will has got free beds. It has been so quickly!!

Goodluck Piticli! Hope it all goes well

yaaaaay! piticli's gonna be a londoner!

Good Luck! I hope it goes well for you! Let us know how you get on

Stu

Good luck, Piticli. I'll PM you my mobile number, just in case you need anything while you're in London.

Awww Stu that's nice of you!

Stu

Yeah, but what he doesn't know is that the 0898 number I gave him just might not be my real mobile number...

haha

"Call Stu now for all manner of....favours..."

Piticli

I liked a lot London!
    I will come back!!!!!
    Too much things and feelings to try to explain.
    Thanks you all.
    See you !!

Back for a visit or back to live? Are you postponing your move?