Thread: Awesome Chocolate Cookies

Default Awesome Chocolate Cookies

This recipe will make a batch of super chocolatey nutty cookies and are sure to impress anyone vegan or otherwise. You can replace the chocolate and cocoa powder with nuts, fruit, seeds and spices to make healthier cookies.

Ingredients
    1/2 Cup Nut butter (can be peanut, almond, hazelnut, cashew etc)
    1 cup oats
    1 cup Wholemeal Flour
    1 cup Sugar
    50g Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1tsp Baking powder
    2 tablespoons Cooking oil (I use sunflower but any will do)
    pinch of salt
    200g Vegan chocolate chopped into smallish chunks (I use some cheap dark cooking chocolate which happens to be vegan)
    1/3 cup Soya milk

Firstly mix the sugar, nut butter, cooking oil, soya milk and vanilla extract together until well mixed (mixes quite quickly)

Then in a separate bowl mix together the other ingredients, when mixed combine the mixtures and stir well. It will be a very firm mix and you may need to add a little more milk if you cant get it to all mix together.

When mixed put the cookie mixture on a greased baking tray, I usually make 8 large cookies over 2 baking trays. Then place in a pre heated oven at 170C for around 10-14 minutes.

Seaside

Default Re: Awesome Chocolate Cookies

Was the picture in your avatar taken right after eating some of these cookies Simon?

If you read his profile you'll see it's not a picture of him but Muffin - his dog.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

wicked, am going to try them today
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

I wish someone would invent some way to taste these things via computer!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Seaside View Post
    Was the picture in your avatar taken right after eating some of these cookies Simon?
    Lol, i dont think so. looks like it though. I was on a bouncy castle when the pic was taken. he he

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    If you read his profile you'll see it's not a picture of him but Muffin - his dog.
    oops, think I had better change that

Quote rianaelf View Post
    wicked, am going to try them today
    cool, let me know if they come out alright

Here's one I made earlier

Miam!!! Can almost smell that.....sigh !!

I get a monthly newsletter from my Internet service provider. What a shock I got this morning when it said:

Dear Customer

Welcome to the November edition of EFTel's newsletter, the vibe.

There is a range of exciting features in this issue! Hate the housework? Why not get a robot to do it for you - check out our article on the 'Roomba'. In sporting news, we are looking forward to the Ashes 2006 - good luck to the Australian team! Make sure you read the first instalment of the 'The Art of Posters', and for all our vegan clients we have included a delicious recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies!

We value your feedback, so please don't hesitate to contact us with your comments and suggestions.
    How awesome to see something vegan related in a mainstream company. Here is the recipe; it looks great.

http://thevibe.eftel.com.au/?action=...le&article=132

man that cookie looooooks gooooood.

as soon as i buy some choc, i'm making them.

(your plate looks pretty too)

I'm baking cookies for an entire class of non-vegans and I don't think carob is going to work with these people. I will try to find this vegan chocolate...? Is is in baking type cubes or do you mean just like a chocolate bar?
    ▼Laurin▼

Quote laurin View Post
    I'm baking cookies for an entire class of non-vegans and I don't think carob is going to work with these people. I will try to find this vegan chocolate...? Is is in baking type cubes or do you mean just like a chocolate bar?
    Thats great, good luck with the cookies, all the non vegans that have tried mine have come back for more. The chocolate I used was a bar of chocolate chopped up into chunks with a knife.

I found that quite a lot of supermarkets stock non dairy chocolate, though most of it is not labeled as vegan just have a check on the ingridients, or if the supermarket has a free from section they usually have some non dairy chocolate there too.

Quote insubordination View Post
    I get a monthly newsletter from my Internet service provider. How awesome to see something vegan related in a mainstream company.
    Wow, that is amazing! And good!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

do you think the cookies would hold together ok if i left out the nut butter? my daughter is allergic to nuts.

Quote cedarblue View Post
    do you think the cookies would hold together ok if i left out the nut butter? my daughter is allergic to nuts.
    I did try making some once using sunflower spread but the mixture was too thin, it might work if you experimented a bit. maybe used less of it or tried to replace it with something else.

MmMmMmM cookies, simon; they look oober lush
    0.o

well, they certainly ARE awesome, and tres chocolat!!!

well, they certainly ARE awesome, and tres chocolat!!!
    thanks, I hope you enjoy them . did you manage to find a substitute for the nut butter?

i just used regular margerine but i didnt have quite enough oats, only about 1/2 a cup so they were very crumbly out of the oven. I should imagine that the right amount of oats and the thicker nut butter would bind it together better.

still they are delicious and i am having to ration them or just get some more ingredients and make more!!

I think I'm going to start the Cedarblue Chocolat Collection thread very soon

Oh my word they look SO GOOD!!

i just used regular margerine but i didnt have quite enough oats, only about 1/2 a cup so they were very crumbly out of the oven. I should imagine that the right amount of oats and the thicker nut butter would bind it together better.

still they are delicious and i am having to ration them or just get some more ingredients and make more!!
    They look like they came out pretty well considering you didn't use nut butter. You should have seen my ones when I tried it without the nut butter!

i have had to ration them.

eating the last of them tonight (one each per day) so more to be made at the weekend.......

p.s. keep the avatar simon, its fun

i have had to ration them.

eating the last of them tonight (one each per day) so more to be made at the weekend.......

p.s. keep the avatar simon, its fun
    I have to ration them to one a day too, lol.
    I normally put them in the microwave for 30 seconds each when I have one, the chocolate goes all nice and melted then. mmmmm

Thnaks, for the comment on the avatar, think I will keep it

Could you use that humdinger dairy free chocolate spread instead of peanut butter? It might give that gooeyness that the peatnut butter would have, plus extra chocolate is always good

Veryblue2

I love Simon's avatar too.

Cedar - could you use soynut butter? Could you daughter eat that?

cedar - my best friend is allergic to nuts and so is her sister so her family uses soynut butter a lot (they got me hooked on it too!) so i would definitely look into that.

it works really well in cookies - especially no bake chocolate oatmeal soynut butter ones

also i just saw last week at whole foods a new brand of soynut butter other than the I.M. Healthy brand and they even have cinnamon sugar soynut butter and its really good!! they also have chocoalte but so does I.M. Healthy
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Jennie

Thumbs up Hi Simon!

Hey! found the link to this recipe via someone else's thread...funny how one vegan leads us onto another, isn't it! Fantastic looking recipe, will give it a go early next week, and let you know how they turn out! Thanks again, have been looking for some biscuits to entertain my teenagers, used to make loads before I went vegan, and the kids are whinging for more! I'm hoping to find some lush recipes on here! Thanks again! Jennie. xx
    Quote Simon View Post
    This recipe will make a batch of super chocolatey cookies and are sure to impress anyone vegan or otherwise. You can replace the chocolate and cocoa powder with nuts, fruit, seeds and spices to make healthier cookies. The added bonus with these cookies is they contain a resonable amount of nut protein due to nut butter been used as the fat.

Ingridients
    1/2 Cup Nut butter (can be peanut, almond, hazelnut, caschew etc)
    1 cup oats
    1 cup Wholemeal Flour
    1 cup Sugar
    50g Cocoa Powder (green and blacks stuff is best)
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1tsp Baking powder
    2 tablespoons Cooking oil (I use olive but any will do)
    pinch of salt
    200g Vegan chocolate chopped into smallish chunks (I use some cheap dark cooking chocolate which happens to be vegan)
    1/3 cup Soya milk

Firstly mix the sugar, nut butter, cooking oil, soya milk and vanilla extract together until well mixed (mixes quite quickly)

Then in a seperate bowl mix together the other ingridients, when mixed combine the mixtures and stir well. It will be a very firm mix and you may need to add a little more milk if you cant get it to all mix together.

When mixed put the cookie mixture on a greased baking tray, I usually make 8 large cookies over 2 baking trays. Then place in a pre heated oven at 160C for around 8 minutes.
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.